Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and the Espace Killy 2017/18 (Closed - No more posts please!)

Poster: A snowHead
@johnboy, Similar amounts of snow in Val, probably just a bit moister at the moment than up here.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chocksaway wrote:
@SkiG, Radio Val saying nothing will open in Val before the end of the morning. The road up to the 2 resorts is currently closed at Aire de Chainage Raye (below the Brev turnoff). The road between Tignes Le Lac and Boisses is closed all day. I suspect nothing will open, I would find a nice restaurant and have a good lunch.

Where do you get the road reports? Website seems to suggest roads are open.

Be nice to at least get up there to have lunch with them.

The further the day goes before anything opens the less it seems worth the fifty odd quid for a lift pass
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In Lavachet, the local police are stopping pedestrians and telling them to go home. Time for Netflix.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@SkiG, Val now announced they are not opening any lifts today.
Road reports here:http://www.savoie-route.fr/fr/conseils/conditions-de-circulation-osiris/conditions-de-circulation-3-au-5-janvier-2018
or Radio Val website (includes very good twitter feed
http://www.radiovaldisere.com/index.php?p=home

I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous remarks!! wink Bon Appetit a Bourg
Next tip might be to start looking (maybe not paying for a hotel room tonight - just a thought.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
https://www.facebook.com/valdisereskiinstructors/videos/1784903061528460/
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@chocksaway,
Cheers. Have accommodation in BSM anyway, but really wishing I hadn’t paid for a hotel in VDI now.

Lol, looks like it’s an early beer o clock
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Val done for the day. Another day of nothing to do.

Meh.

Tomorrow better be good.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Now I know why I went home on the weekend!!
No end in sight it seems.
The snow depths are going to be monumental in places; however, the ridges will be scoured.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 4-01-18 12:09; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hats off to those providing the excellent content in this thread.

Meant to be arriving in Val on Sunday - considering getting Ski a La Carte pass and collecting in resort given the current unpredictability of the weather, does this seem a smart move?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Hats off to those providing the excellent content in this thread

Absolutely. + umpteen.

Amazing to think I was happily rolling along in a bus to Le Fornet just a few weeks ago...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@NSpr, I think it depends on the maths - you can easily work it out (weather, laziness etc!!). If a 6 day pass includes a Saturday there is a marginal saving but then you have the subscription on top. For a 13 day pass the normal one is significantly cheaper. A closed resort is very unusual but some days when there is only one qualifying chair open it is hardly worth going out unless you like queuing. There is a refund available if no pay lifts are open, again this is relatively rare.

We are now allowed to walk within the villages. Hurrah
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@chocksaway, we're Sunday to Sunday, so i think i'll go for it - the small extra cost seems worth it for the peace of mind that if we miss a day for whatever reason it hasn't cost almost 50 Euro. Keep up the reporting, this is all keeping me nicely distracted at work Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Still eerily quiet up here, a few folk venturing around the footpaths, resort is doing all it can organising ski films in Tignesespace, extra films at the cinema, ping pong tournaments etc. Personally, I am now half way through deleting contacts in Outlook that have built up over 17 years. Finally expunging the military ones (other than from the Pensions Agency - obviously!).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Radio Val now saying that is probable that the roads to Val and Tignes will be closed all day and tonight. They are worried about an avalanche in the Col de la Davie, which they need a helicopter to assess/blast. That Col reaches the road just below the tunnel before the dam - where there are red flashing lights triggered by cords across the gulley if an avalanche or flash flood comes down.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yup, just heard the same down here in Bourg, looks like it’s time for a big steak and some vin rouge. Hopefully it’ll be open by the morning!
latest report
Fingers crossed things improve for next week - forecasts seem to suggest another dump Monday, although who really has a clue?
latest report
NSpr wrote:
Fingers crossed things improve for next week - forecasts seem to suggest another dump Monday, although who really has a clue?

I'm pretty confident of that happening on Monday, but then I am incredibly regular and am not yet at the age where I need prunes.........
Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
In Les Brev last week and accepted a lift to BSM 1st thing and ski Les Arcs before catching the train at 10pm, rather than catch the 6pm bus from Les Brev, good call! A guy that left silly am still missed his flight from GVA. Hope that you guys get some skiing in this week.
snow report
https://www.valdisere.com/en/webcam/vallee-du-manchet-2/

Big avalanches into the Manchet evident on the webcams
snow report
@nelly0168, If only you could upvote a post on here
snow conditions
SkiPass office in VDI say no skiing today. They are cheerfully offering refunds and hope things will be open tomorrow. It is currently raining at resort level. Glad I’m here for another 3 weeks!
snow report
The Tichot lift is in motion - clearly not going to open today, but perhaps a whisper of optimism for tomorrow!
snow conditions
Appreciate all the advice on here, I wonder does anyone have any experience of what the likelihood of them clearing the road overnight is?

Having lost one of my three days skiing this year already, I’m really keen to get on the hill as soon as (and if!) lifts open tomorrow. Ideally like to ski with my mates up in VDI, but don’t want to hang around if it’ll be lunchtime before the roads are open, would just go to Les Arcs (if it’s open) instead!

Appreciate it’s all speculation. Do they do heli work overnight/in the dark?
snow report
@SkiG, a couple of lifts open in Les Arcs today, serving gentler pistes around Arc 1800 and Vallandry. Problem would have been to get from the top of the funicular across to Arc 1800 to get to the Transarc gondola. Resort shuttle bus from Arc 1600 to 1800 was running I think, but not up to 1950/2000 as that road has been closed all day.
ski holidays
Such a shame the temps are so warm. Looks like it's raining everywhere now? Back in Feb 1999 the storms that came one after another were all really cold and we were left with bone dry blower for week after week. Skiing all the way down to Aime from where I was in La Plagne and hitching back up! Hope it cools down again.
snow report
The safety committee are meeting now to see if the road to BSM can be opened tonight. More news in a bit.

Regarding the Col de La Davie - some helos could fly at night but not in the cloud we currently have. The pisteurs really need to see what they are doing as well. If you are interested look at google maps sat view, work down the road to thee tunnel above Brevieres and then look at the gulley that runs nearly east-west up into the massive bowl.

There is more here written by a guy I might know wink
http://valdiseretignes.edgemag.net/2017-03-08-road-closure-between-les-brevieres-the-dam-heres-why/

@Alex A, dreams of powder are way off the mark as you suspect, its raining up to 2400m at the moment. Any higher may be better but it will be very windblown
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
@Alex A, dreams of powder are way off the mark as you suspect, its raining up to 2400m at the moment. Any higher may be better but it will be very windblown

solid base when it freezes then Toofy Grin Twisted Evil Laughing
ski holidays
@kitenski, Might have to dig the K2 Apaches out from under the bed then Very Happy

There we go then for about as long as anyone can remember not a lift turned in Val or Tignes today. The restriction on movement was lifted around lunchtime in Tignes but sledging was the only snowsport left:

It started raining in Tignes at 1 o'clock which made it miserable but this is now turning back to sleet as I type at 5. This light snow and rain will continue until around mid morning tomorrow with a snowline between 2000 and 2200m. Clearly there will be a lot of work to do to make the resorts safe in the morning. So please be patient with the pisteurs, they really are out risking their lives so we can be safe. But hopefully there will be some on piste skiing tomorrow, expect very hard pistes where it freezes tonight - it will be softer lower down. The avalanche risk will start at 5 above 2200m and 4 below, these will drop around lunchtime by one level each. The avalanche reporter from Meteo France suggests it will be easy to get hurt tomorrow on unpisted terrain as well as the fact that it will bevery easy to trigger a spring style avalanche - water logged snow. The rest of Friday will be mostly cloudy, we may see the sun very late on for a while, it will remain mild in the villages. This will allow the roads to be made safe for those escaping on Saturday, when the weather will be benign and mild, there will be a few strong gust as altitude and the sun will appear through a milky sky. The wind and snow will return on Sunday and Monday, as it looks like a retour d'est, Le Fornet will probably get a lot of snow, the depths will reduce towards Tignes. The middle of next week looks better but mild for the time of year. Stay Safe tomorrow!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The road to Bourg and Val will reopen at 1800 hrs - Freeeeeedom!
latest report
Haha, and unfortunately my lift is now four beers in, you have to laugh!!
latest report
Delayed to 1900 now, big traffic jam in Val waiting to get out. @SkiG, You may still have the last laugh - enjoy the ale
snow conditions
This is utterly fascinating to follow. I’ve been an annual Val skier for about 20 years now and have never seen ZERO lifts open for the full day. Even in heaviest of white outs (and I’ve been in some good ones). Even Feb 2003 (about 100cm overnight) saw some lifts open in the afternoon. The winds must have been bad. And maybe worse to come at the weekend. Keep safe everyone.
latest report
Well, turned out a taxi offered us 80 euros to the hotel, so went down that route, about to arrive and raining big style, better that than a trip up
In the morning!
snow report
Now that we're getting closer to our visit to Tignes, can any of you regulars recommend good lunch venues? Nothing fancy, just decent quality food, and we don't mind paying a fair price for a good meal.

So, where should we try, and where should we avoid?
ski holidays
Had lunch in the Terrace next to the Bollin/Fresse lift in Val Claret yesterday. Unlike the pizzas served up the mountain, we got a nice proper fresh oven cooked pizza. Not cheap, but they were happy for two to share one pizza (not working hard enough yesterday to want a big lunch with skiing being off).
snow report
Bits of blue sky and lifts opening progressively from 9.45 - its going to be a busy day on piste - take care folks.
@Otherworld,
Aspen Burger Bar in Val Claret - very good value and the choice of champions (Kevin Rolland was in there last year!). Try to get there at 12 or 1330.
Jam Bar for Roccos Pasta - again early or late its tiny.
Not exactly Haute Cuisine but good value fuel is provided in Val D'Isere by the Marmottes restaurant above the base station of lift of the same name and Cascades at the bottom of the Pisaillas Glacier lifts (both run by same family). Can easily eat in any of those for €15. If you want to go a bit posher you'd better ask a holidaymaker wink
ski holidays
Sitting here in an office in Germany I usually feel a little sad that I’m not in the Alps enjoying the snow. They say that there’s no such thing as a bad day in the mountains, but when you read snow reports like the following I remember why I’ve never been entirely convinced by that saying.

“Hello Folks, here is my daily report for the piste condtions for the Espace Killy Ski area. Today it is a white out. The visibility is better down low. The snow conditions are very poor. The piste is slushy. For the best snow go to the lower slopes. The Off Piste is very poor today, the avalanche risk is very high. There is a gale blowing from the North West. I can’t pretend. It’s raining and not nice at all. I’m watching the Evo guys having a nightmare. They are doing the best job they can.
Have a great day, Simon - Rebelalliance Snowboarding”

I think the moral of the story is..... make sure you spend enough time in the mountains so that in days like today you can just stay indoors and not feel you have to get out.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/valdisereskiinstructors/videos/1784903061528460/

This was behind my apartment at La Daille. The avi came down into the car parking area and is a graphic demonstration of why walking around is currently very dangerous.
snow conditions
Otherworld wrote:
Now that we're getting closer to our visit to Tignes, can any of you regulars recommend good lunch venues? Nothing fancy, just decent quality food, and we don't mind paying a fair price for a good meal.

So, where should we try, and where should we avoid?

My current favourite is La Petite Cuisine at Folie Douce. €15 buys you a substantial lunch, from chicken and veg, to lasagne, to the special of the day.
ski holidays
All recommendations so far are great advice and top choices .
These are some of the Val Lunch Club’s favourites...

Snowy day .
Barillon under Rosie’s in la Daille. Or Trifolet on way down to La Daille.

Sunny Day ..
Tete de Solaise terrace or La Sachette terrace Breviere.(early as sun disappears)

Special Occasion.
Edelweiss Le Fornet or Signal Le Fornet or Grande Ourse Val D Isere or Panoramique on the Motte.

Quirky and good.
La Marais Hotel Tignes Les Boisses.

Big groups ..
Tufs La Daille .

New just opened ..
Etincelle Val dIsere
Great decor and views ..food good although a little pricey..
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy