Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Black runs are easier .....

Poster: A snowHead
Opps thought you meant skiing on the outside edge..!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ssh, whenever I've tried outside edge skiing I've always found that pushing my weight forwards into the fall line and on to the end of the turn helps with the tendency to lean my weight into the hill as it's just somewhere to consciously and actively put the weight. It also helps with the tendency of my weight to fall back on the tails when I'm on the outside edge. I find it easiest to concentrate on doing this right one leg at a time ie with one ski off.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ssh wrote:
hibernia, I used to be a good skier!

And now hopefully you are even a better one snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hibernia, a bit of background that may help you understand my perspective: this season is my 35th skiing. I live in Colorado, and have skied 30+ days the past three seasons. Before that, I was more a "fair weather" skier, spending about 10 days per season on snow. As a kid, I skied over 100 days/season my first few years, and raced in high school. I've been a student of skiing since 1971, and have refocused on the teaching of it since October 2003. I say all of that to say this: skiing has changed. Especially with those great carving skis that you have! You can use your older technique to ski them and they will feel substantially better than anything you've ever skied...

...but not nearly as nice as they will if you learn how to use them best! Wink

You can move from edge to edge of a modern ski by tipping it. You do not need to set the edges and use the rebound to get to the new edges. You can arc turns of quite short radius simply by riding the edges and changing the angle of the ski to the snow. All movements in modern skiing are progressive: we move from edge to edge like a pendulum swings and not by sudden changes. We eliminate those sudden movements and thus reduce our energy usage dramatically--enabling us to ski longer during the day, more difficult terrain, and so on. It really is a different sport IMHO.

FWIW, I've spent the past three years trying to stop the edge set-redirectd sequence. I'm still trying to get extraneous movements out of my hands (they still brush the invisible poles out of my way!).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
slikedges, if I say "angulation", does anything come to mind that would help you with that?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hibernia, I certainly understand how it must be with one or two weeks per year. And, on those older skis, that technique would work very well (and probably be your best option!). On the newer skis, it won't be. I'm sure that there are a number of video options for you, and I don't know all of those available in Europe. I'll rely on others to make those recommendations. Perhaps, if I'm very lucky, I'll get to meet you at the EoSB '07 and I can show you what I mean...

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 14-02-06 0:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ssh, I know we've done the carving skis/techniques stuff time and time again here, and I buy what you're saying for wide open spaces and pistes etc.. But how have modern skis changed how you tackle cruddy narrow slopes of 30+ degrees (which is the kind of skiing I enjoy - even if I'm not particularly expert at it)? Surely here it's short swings, jumps, unweighting and all the rest of that good old-fashined stuff! (Unless of course you're a complete lunatic and bomb down everything at Mach 6).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ssh, In a bid to understand this, I have, as you hinted, started a separate thread.

the EOSB 07 that's a good idea and I may be able to go there, will have to check the dates when announced. Thanks again for your help!. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
GrahamN, FWIW, I just got done skiing mostly that kind of terrain at Alta/Snowbird during the ESA. I didn't bomb it at Mach 6 (OK, at least not very often!). But, it has changed dramatically. I used no vertical up-and-down motion, no edge sets. While there was some flex/extend movement (of course!), it was largely to keep my upper body on a straight-line path down the mountain while my legs did all the work underneath. In a retraction turn, I'd turn my legs into the fall line while pulling my feet up, then extend into the bottom of the turn. Or, in a different type of turn, I would maintain my ankle flex, open my knee joint (moving my hips forward), and open my downhill/new inside thigh/femur down the hill to start the turn.

None of these were moves that I would have used even 5 years ago (but, 5 years ago I was behind the times...).

In other words, I think that technique for all terrain has changed and become more subtle.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ssh, not sure what you mean, I know I should be moving my hips inside as I start the turn but on the outside edge it isn't till I'm coming out of the fall line that I get any edge or angulation and it's if I can get the weight forwards that I can get the angulation (visualising being one-legged helps). I'm certainly not doing a carved initiation on the outside edge, more of a ski flattening and drifting towards the fall line.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ssh, it's interesting you mentioning the retraction turn stuff as a new thing. This was basically the technique I was introduced to in my first ever mogul lesson, about 10 years ago, by a very old-school instructor! It works very well, whenever I can remember to do it that way. I still remain to be convinced though that there is any quicker way of getting around a corner than a smooth pivot with skis flat on the snow.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
GrahamN, I didn't mean to suggest that retraction turns are a "new thing". They're certainly not! But, it is new for many folks as a turn to use as a "bulletproof" turn on terrain that isn't bumped; terrain where we pull up and push down when we're not following snow contours. Sorry for the confusion...

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 14-02-06 0:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
slikedges, do you believe me when I say that you can get edge angles on your new edges before the fall line on your new inside ski (so you're on the inside edge of the inside ski only)? If so, what must you do to get there?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ssh, get the hips forward and inside Puzzled
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
slikedges, yep. The key is inside. Angulated. Upper body more upright, legs more angled. It feels uncomfortable because there's no foot to fall onto if the ski lets go. So, you don't want to really commit to that ski edge. You hedge your bets by trying to stay more balanced between your feet than you are on that ski. As a result, you don't get sufficiently balanced over that ski edge to get it to arc well. Commit to that edge and feel the difference. Worth playing with!
ski holidays
ssh, I'm steadily building a list of stuff to concentrate my mind on those greens! Very Happy
latest report
slikedges, yeah, baby! I have a new focus when I'm skiing: let no terrain go to waste. I've learned so much skiing terrain that is supposedly below my ability. And it's made all of my skiing better as a result.
snow report
ssh wrote:
slikedges, yeah, baby! I have a new focus when I'm skiing: let no terrain go to waste.

Can I use that?
(recovering from a day on rather low angle terrain in leather teleboots). Laughing snowHead
ski holidays
comprex, ya, mon. Not sure which of us needs it more... Wink Laughing Twisted Evil
ski holidays
I have nothing to add - ssh, has pretty much said it all.

GrahamN, It seems unlikely that you were taught retraction turns for moguls - compression turns would have been far more likely (and still used today). I do disagree about off piste crud and so on. good modern technique works just as well on that as anything else ....
ski holidays
easiski You may well be right that it started out as a compression turn, but it seemed pretty obvious to change it (when coordination allowed) very soon after to what, after checking around a bit, seems to be called "Avalement". Is this the same thing as ssh is talking about?
ssh wrote:
While there was some flex/extend movement (of course!), it was largely to keep my upper body on a straight-line path down the mountain while my legs did all the work underneath

sounds just like what it feels like on the rare occasions when I get into the rhythm and it all clicks - retract the legs slighly on the upside of the "bump" (or rise in the terrain), let the skis turn while the edges are released (I guess we're no longer allowed to use the word "unweighted" Wink ), then extend into the subsequent trough and use a bit of pressure for speed control. Or if it's going really well the turn happens all on the upside of the "bump". Tune to taste down pretty much any heavily-skied unpisted terrain (i.e. the majority of what I've seen in the Alps). I'm not up to doing this true "zipper-line", but can normally do it about 1 bump/lump/divot wide. So I still don't get how the modern gear/orthodoxy changes things to the "retraction turn". What am I missing here?
ski holidays
GrahamN, Avalement was the folding of the legs underneath the body. With a compression turn you do this and then extend the legs (while keeping the head still) into the trough (or imagined one), with a slightly rotary movement, not unlike kicking a football. Retraction was a positive retraction (snatching up) of the legs (rather than the legs being pressed up) followed by a strong outward and round push. Your head did not necessarily have to stay level, and it's a very strong but tiring turn to use in crud. By golly - all this is bringing back some odd memories!!

I would say, however, that the best advice I've ever been given in bumps is to more or less ignore any flexion (your legs will automatically flex to take in the bump if they're relaxed), and to concentrate on pushing your toes into the trough. At the end of the extension of your legs your skis will naturally find their edge.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy