Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Moguls

Poster: A snowHead
it's all about being LOOOSE, man!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Unless you're absolutely nailing it perfectly, mogul skiing has all the grace of falling down a flight of stairs in leg calipers.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Old Fartbag, Just slightly different ways of saying the same thing - will appeal to different people.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jonny Moseley's exercises are excellent even if one doesn't ski!!! great for fell running btw.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
admin wrote:
Over them/around them = irrelevant.
The bumps do not exist.

There is only the fall-line and the snow your ski is in contact with Toofy Grin

Shocked of course (slaps forehead) if I am going to ski the fall line smoothly I have to make the bumps disappear...and then it’s just normal skiing. Right?

So it’s not that we are absorbing the shock, instead we avoid the shock?

Hmmm I wonder if that will be as easy as it sounds..... Confused
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I was told to imagine a low ceiling to stop my head popping up at the top of the bump; make sure all the bump was absorbed by the legs.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gyro wrote:
Still naff, and the group coming down together!!

Just to clarify, I know their skill level is off the chart but even so, looks naff.

Taste is a tricky one. I spent a few years trying to photograph people riding rails, which just looks incredibly stupid to me... but it's been popular for a fair while. Still, a very difficult photography job.

If you think you're sensitive to things looking "naff", then you can be sure that everything you think isn't naff today will be horrendously naff to you in a few years time.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I spent a few years trying to photograph people riding rails, which just looks incredibly stupid to me

I can confirm it looks utterly laughable when I do it! A middle-aged man looking for an opportunity to incur some additional dental expenses while being as ungainly as possible.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bob wrote:
nothing beats the superior feeling you get when you've completed a good mogul run.

Yes, mogul bounce, powder float, and steep jumpturns are the three best feelings in skiing.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whitegold wrote:
Bob wrote:
nothing beats the superior feeling you get when you've completed a good mogul run.

Yes, mogul bounce, powder float, and steep jumpturns are the three best feelings in skiing.

And you would know this? How?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Another bumps tune-up today. The new bit of info was to scrape the outer/lower ski down the back of the bump, rather than the inner ski as I'd been doing before. Had to force myself the first few times, but started to get it after.

Season-established bumps with 4in of fresh on top. Not easy.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
Stop the brutal grooming...

In the States and Canada they often leave ungroomed strips along the side of wider pistes.

Allows people to have a little go if they want to with an easy way out.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Orange200 wrote:
Another bumps tune-up today. The new bit of info was to scrape the outer/lower ski down the back of the bump, rather than the inner ski as I'd been doing before. Had to force myself the first few times, but started to get it after.

Season-established bumps with 4in of fresh on top. Not easy.

By the "Back", do you mean the d/hill side?

I was taught to "check" against the u/hill face of the bump (softer snow) and then let the turn unfold, staying off the edges on the scraped "d/hill" side (then check against the u/hill face of the next one). As speed and ability improves, you then check less hard against the side of the bump....but I suppose there are a 101 ways to skin a cat.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Old Fartbag, that sounds about right, but for bumps there's really only one "proper" way to do it. Which is about what you describe.

@Orange200, well done but why so much weight and activity on the uphill ski?

@snowheads68, struggling to think of anywhere that doesn't have that?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Moguls.....best avoided. The idea of skiing moguls always reminds someone me of those weird people who go cycling and deliberately loom for hills to climb - not for the thrill of coming down again, just for the masochistic pleasure of going up them in the first place.
ski holidays
@foxtrotzulu, nope, IMO.

Skiing well formed bumps is the most fun.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:

@Orange200, well done but why so much weight and activity on the uphill ski?
?

Because I’m a classically crap back-seater?
latest report
ah.
snow report
Thesixquidman wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
Bob wrote:

I don't know how or whether Whitegold is qualified to write that, but I agree with him. Three great feelings Smile
snow report
@Chamcham, the knee must be feeling better!
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Moguls.....best avoided. The idea of skiing moguls always reminds someone me of those weird people who go cycling and deliberately loom for hills to climb - not for the thrill of coming down again, just for the masochistic pleasure of going up them in the first place.

Surely its the thrill of having accomplished something that's rather difficult, rather than just being able to do the same as 99% of the population can do? A bit like going down a mogul field with style I suppose - something I'd love to be able to do!
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@snowheads68, struggling to think of anywhere that doesn't have that?

He means within the bounds of the piste markers rolling eyes
snow report
@jellylegs, what difference does that make? + several slopes around Cham are no longer pisted regularly.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@jellylegs, what difference does that make? + several slopes around Cham are no longer pisted regularly.

It means you can ski bumps to the side of the run without going off-piste and invalidating your insurance.
snow conditions
@Gordyjh, Yep Smile Smile Smile
latest report
@jellylegs, pretty crap insurance eh?
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:

It means people can have a go at a few moguls and then easily dip out back on the bashed part of the piste. They're not committed to a whole run of just moguls.

Suppose it's needed more in the States which has a lot of tree-lined skiing.
snow conditions
@snowheads68, I’m just unsure of the point being made. Loads of places are like that. Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chamcham wrote:
Thesixquidman wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
Bob wrote:

I don't know how or whether Whitegold is qualified to write that, but I agree with him. Three great feelings Smile

Adding... Landing a big air into powder and not going over the handle bars - or maybe that’s just relief? (Even if mine aren’t very big)

Usually avoid moguls to protect knees, but tried to run a mogul field on my 124´s the other day and it wasn’t entirely unenjoyable if somewhat messy!
snow conditions
jellylegs wrote:
under a new name wrote:
Stop the brutal grooming...

+1
The pistes are becoming so boring, especially around the Sella Ronda.

++++++++++1!!!!!!!!
For such a big area, the piste skiing in the Sella Ronda is soooo boring, late in the day some small bumps appear but they get wiped out overnight. France has far better piste skiing where some pistes get regularly groomed and others are left for days or never groomed. In Tignes there were mature moguls on a blue run so intermediates can get used to skiing them without the fear of the steepness of a black run.

I ski moguls fairly well but I'm hard pressed to say how I do it! I would say it's about reading the bumps two ahead of the one that you are on, sometimes coming off one bump completely off balance but knowing that hitting the next bump correctly will restore that balance and just going for it instead of panicking, its a confidence thing, putting your body in a position that it thinks is dangerous is where you have best control
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy