Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Your most hated “ski” airport?

Poster: A snowHead
Gazzza wrote:
hawkwind wrote:
Yes ski and snowboard bags for a few days holiday.
could do a full thread on this!
unless your a professional who is under contract or racing or something like that.
leave the f**King things at home.
go try out the latest model for a week for less than carriage.
I will make you carry your own stuff through the airport, through the crowds, all the way, you bring all that crap, your problem.

Please please please just rent at resort.
snowboarders are the worst btw

Horse terd.

Any average skier and above will benefit from having their own skis/board, rather than the unknown of what you get each trip if you rent. When you buy kit you take the time to get what is right for you, not what the rental shop has in stock and throws at you when you collect. Having her own skis has transformed my wife's skiing. My board and bindings paid for itself in about 3-4 trips against what rentals would have cost (less if I took the latest model each time). In 10 years I've only ever paid for board carriage once so I'm quids in thanks, I know what edges my angles are set at, I know I have the right length, my board gets lovingly waxed by hand properly before each trip as opposed to being quickly rammed in a machine or given a quick and dirty 3 minute hand job from an underpaid seasonaire.

Na, I'll bring my own thanks, whether it suits you or not. It sounds like you work in the ski industry (doing transfers) yet you object to people bringing "***King skis".... to a ski resort... ??? Interesting attitude. Love to know which company you work for so I can give them a wide berth. Maybe next time you can work in the food industry and you can complain about people wanting f'ing plates to eat off, or in the summer season you can whine about people bringing towels to the beach. Puzzled
Shocked Shocked Shocked I've obviously been going to wrong resorts Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Sack the Juggler,
Quote:

Air travel has become a chore instead of an experience now

Well I think this might have a lot to do with how much we fly. I suspect many people on this discussion group fly more frequently than they catch a bus.
Quote:

As someone mentioned I also hate how UK airports have now developed those mazes of duty free goods that you have to wind your way through before you can get to the departure lounge proper, and you have to walk through the gauntlet of "have you tried this new fragrance sir?" a dozen times before you can breath properly and finally find somewhere to sit whilst waiting to board your flight.

I couldn't agree more. It is not just UK airports but airports everywhere. BTW you are wrong to call them duty free for most journeys (except to Geneva) then you have to pay the duty. Even then if you compare the prices with say supermarks you wonder just how little the duty really is. In some terminals, Hethrow terminal 5 springs to mind, there is more room for shops than for people to sit.

Now to completely invert the topic, my favourite airport is Ronaldsway on the Isle of Man, but to come back on topic it's useless for skiing.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Geneva and Grenoble - terrible affairs.

I drive now.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
johnE wrote:
@Sack the Juggler,
Quote:

Air travel has become a chore instead of an experience now

Well I think this might have a lot to do with how much we fly. I suspect many people on this discussion group fly more frequently than they catch a bus.
Quote:

As someone mentioned I also hate how UK airports have now developed those mazes of duty free goods that you have to wind your way through before you can get to the departure lounge proper, and you have to walk through the gauntlet of "have you tried this new fragrance sir?" a dozen times before you can breath properly and finally find somewhere to sit whilst waiting to board your flight.

I couldn't agree more. It is not just UK airports but airports everywhere. BTW you are wrong to call them duty free for most journeys (except to Geneva) then you have to pay the duty. Even then if you compare the prices with say supermarks you wonder just how little the duty really is. In some terminals, Hethrow terminal 5 springs to mind, there is more room for shops than for people to sit.

Now to completely invert the topic, my favourite airport is Ronaldsway on the Isle of Man, but to come back on topic it's useless for skiing.
Ronaldsway has direct flights to Geneva now snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The other thing I dont understand is why on gods earth you want to board first with kids. I want him doing laps of the departure lounge for as long as possible before getting on that plane and plugging him into an ipad for 8 hours.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not reading through all 3 pages of this but for me it's easy. Venice Treviso. Horrendous place. The oversized baggage for your skis is not manned full time, the security is slow, the rental car drop off is a mile away, there are zero facilities. One of the worst places I have been to.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Any UK airport having just picked up some now very very heavy skis and start heading through "nothing to declare".....then you know it's over.... Neutral
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Crikey this thread has bought all the bad memories back and re-affirmed why I prefer to drive....although the stresses of the tunnel these days are removing some of that pleasure!

I am now already regretting the decision to book the cheap EJ flights for the last blast week with the kids on 8th April from LTN to GVA and throwing the horrors of taking my own skis and hiring a car into the mix.

To answer the initial question, Grenoble for me.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
To those criticizing Innsbruck, I can only assume you've never been diverted from there to Friedrichshafen! It's like Innsbruck but staffed by just 3 people and a sleeping dog. Almost 2hrs between getting off the plane and picking up luggage.

ulmerhutte wrote:
Being contrary... Zürich is a great gateway to Europe. Organised with typical Swiss efficiency...

Only used it once but agree 100%. Landed, bridge to the aircraft right away, fast, efficient passport checks, short walk to the baggage reclaim area and what do we find? Our bags already on the carousel! The next time I flew in to Switzerland was to Geneva... Rather a different airport experience on the French side of the country to the German one.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Only used it once but agree 100%. Landed, bridge to the aircraft right away, fast, efficient passport checks, short walk to the baggage reclaim area and what do we find? Our bags already on the carousel! The next time I flew in to Switzerland was to Geneva... Rather a different airport experience on the French side of the country to the German one.

German one in Geneva? I used to hate Zurich when I had to change there going to and back from Sofia, I assume they have changed those horrible hard metal chairs now. In fact the last time I went to Zurich I became very well aquainted with their lost property office having left my kindle on the plane. Then I almost knocked myself out by walking into a very well cleaned glass wall (I know, I should have been wearing a helmet!)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Mjit, Ended up in Friedrichshafen at half term with 3 cases missing - they eventually arrived at 02.30.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have to give a shout out to Geneva this year (I know!).

Out on Wed 14th, no queue for passport control. Bags were on the belt as soon as we got there, skis arrived as soon as we went to the oversized belt. Taxi driver was caught a bit short!
Bit of a nightmare with easyJet bag drop on the way back on 26th - will post about that separately. Otherwise straight through priority security (regular security looked to be moving pretty quickly). Couple of minutes for passport control.

It show that they can do it (and that avoiding Saturday is the way to go!)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@zikomo, it was fine even on Saturday for me.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GVA yesterday 25th Feb. Arrived just after 14:00 with hand baggage only. Queue for security not as bad as I have seen it but fairly long, however all desks open and through in around 20 mins. Queue for passport control less than 5 mins.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
GVA for me... Detest the place... overcrowded, sh*t facilities and security is carnage...
snow report
'@hawkwind,

We pay £74 with Easyjet to take 1 ski bag containing 2 pairs of skis.
If you can let me know where we can hire top of the range kit for £37 in the 3 Valleys that would be great!
snow conditions
hawkwind wrote:
Yes ski and snowboard bags for a few days holiday.
could do a full thread on this!
unless your a professional who is under contract or racing or something like that.
leave the f**King things at home.
go try out the latest model for a week for less than carriage.
I will make you carry your own stuff through the airport, through the crowds, all the way, you bring all that crap, your problem.

Please please please just rent at resort.
snowboarders are the worst btw

Erm... Sorry dude but this goes down as 'silly response of the day'... Renting gear in resort for a week will set you back in the region of €100, so guessing at around €70/80 for a few days, as you say... For that you are in the hands of the gods as to what condition the gear is in... New, better, and personalised gear, MAKES you abetter rider... I cannot speak for skiing, but a decent board, boots and bindings, that is sold to you, to fit your ability, progression, gender, weight etc. etc. will make you a better rider and give you such a better holiday... As opposed to hiring some gear that has been used by any Jonny on holiday and not really tailored to 'all of the above'... Most rental shops will have 2 maybe 3 set ups to select from... My local snowboard shop has shedloads of kit that is then tailored to what I want...

And is it 'really' only snowboarders that carry their stuff in long bags...???? Hmmmm
snow report
As Matt1959 said GVA did well yesterday. Gate D81 is near Annecy,but put me in the mood for the 20 mins wait to get back into UK at dismal Birmingham.
latest report
Sorry, just have to quote the late, great Douglas Adams ...

“It can hardly be a coincidence that no language on Earth has ever produced the expression "as pretty as an airport". Airports are ugly. Some are very ugly. Some attain a degree of ugliness that can only be the result of a special effort. This ugliness arises because airports are full of people who are tired, cross, and have just discovered that their luggage has landed in Murmansk (...) and the architects have on the whole tried to reflect this in their designs.

They have sought to highlight the tiredness and crossness motif with brutal shapes and nerve jangling colours, to make effortless the business of separating the traveller from his or her luggage or loved ones, to confuse the traveller with arrows that appear to point at the windows, distant tie racks, or the current position of the Ursa Minor in the night sky, and wherever possible to expose the plumbing on the grounds that it is functional, and conceal the location of the departure gates, presumably on the grounds that they are not.”

Or, to paraphrase, they’re all horrible - but the price you pay to go skiing !
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
My worst personal experience - Innsbruck because of a very long disruption for which the airport was totally ill equipped. Wasn't their fault - lots of fog in the UK. TO gave us vouchers for food which meant queueing forever for SFA. Nowhere to sit, place was teeming with people. All facilities overwhelmed. And I had a stinking cold. We had been picked up horribly early morning and got back to Gatwick quite late in the evening. I suspect if I'd ever used Chambery on a busy Saturday it would be right up there - but having only used it at quiet times it's my favourite. Was once in the car ) within 5 minutes of walking down the airport steps. And...... it was heaving down with rain, which turned to snow as I climbed up the easy drive to the apartment. snowHead snowHead snowHead And the icing on the cake - free parking!!

there is a reason

http://youtube.com/v/eBuYN7H1PeA
snow conditions
I had an horrendous time at Chamberry last year but this year not too bad.

However my biggest rant is Luton. If someone is reading this thats involved in the planning, building or anything with the car parks at Luton airport....then when you die i hope you go straight to hell! I would say a lot more but i dont want to risk getting banned from the forum about your existance on this planet.

I've been to this airport about 30 times in 5 years. How long is the building work going on for? Its like it started in 2002 and will be finished in 2080. The car parks are a mess. The cost even just picking someone up is ridiculous. The directions are a joke.

I remember taking a wrong turning and it cost just to drive through the drop off area to go and find the short stay car park. Last month i missed the turning for the long stary car park. I followed the signs for exit and i came to a barier that needed £8 to let me out.

Im going to stop there before i continue as it will turn into a thesis.

As for best airport...well the list is endless. Im an RAF guy. So i dont need a check in or passport at times when i fly away most times Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Turin is the worst I have been through. No luggage carts on arrival then off the transfer bus and directly onto the back of the check in queues stretching outside the terminal on the way back. I would avoid this at all costs.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 26-02-18 17:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Grenoble on a Saturday morning, what a shambles!!

As others have said, the airport cannot cope with all the flights arriving and departing in a short space of time, it was mayhem a couple of Saturdays ago returning to the UK (truck had broken down, and insurance flew us back).

Even after the stress of a breakdown, it is still my preference to drive, and even more so after witnessing Grenoble. Geneva a couple of years ago wasn't much better, and that was a Wednesday flight in mid-March!!
snow report
Turin. They made Chambery look efficient.
snow conditions
Anyone fly back in MAN T1 yesterday? we landed just after 14.00, though passport check OK, screens said bags on carousel 4, however our flight and all others were mixed up, and came out on totally different carousels than were shown on screen. Global Baggage Solutions staff were seen walking about in their hi visa vests initially, then as they realised that there were problems, they all took them off and held them in their hands so avoid being questioned, out bags eventually came out an hour after landing, due to a "staff shortage" message on the tannoy, hmmm seem to get that message every trip, AFIK flights are a scheduled thing, surely they can rosta enough staff to cope with the workload.
I'm not on twitter, and can't find anyway of contacting anyone senior at the airport via Facebook as social media seems to get a response now. Anyone provide any assistance?
latest report
Turin is definately getting bad again. Pre Olympics we knew we'd have to take a seat for a couple of hours awaiting our luggage & skis on arrival. Post it seemed to get better but was awful in January. Kept changing the carousel number for both luggage & skis & it became a comedy cartoon with everyone running up & down the baggage area. Add to that a huge queue to get through passport control on arrival - a good 40 minute wait.

Return was as bad as ever, huge queues for the ski drop off then the inevitable 45 min wait to get through the scanners. No where to sit once through so we ended up on the floor, very dignified.

Can't wait to hit the charter terminal at Geneva in two weeks time ................ Sad
latest report
Geneva wasn’t much fun last Saturday. But then It was half term....

Chaos in the car hire drop off car park
Bus for 50yards to get into terminal
90 mins in easyJet bag drop area
Queues at security
Nothing decent to buy to eat airside except a 10 quid ham and cheese panini (we’ve got young kids so the champagne and shellfish bar didn’t cut it for them!)
and then passport control at the end of a long walk as chaos

Took about 4 hours from entering the car park to getting on the plane

Mind you, if I’d wanted a hublot watch or a fancy pen there were plenty of very nice shops that would have sold me one of those
snow report
Stansted provides a pretty hideous experience all round really.
Security is virtually always a nightmare hence they offer a 'fast track' for no less than £7! This fast track takes you on a route, slightly longer than it needs to be (or indeed used to be when it cost £3.50) but clearly specially devised to give you as good a view as possible of all the poor folk suffering 'normal service', and them of you exercising your queue jumping privilege! Of course, none of this is accidental as, not being able to predict how long the security pantomime will take means having to allow extra time, which inevitably results in people spending longer in the hellish 'retail zone'.
The path from security winds back and forth in an overtly cynical attempt to lengthen your passage through the alcohol and perfume shops. These overpriced and asphyxiating hangovers from the days of duty free are an anachronism given virtually all of Stansted's passenger traffic is within the EU.
We then pass into the food court. Virtually all seating here is now allocated to commercial operators. They are crammed into every available space and all but the stupidly expensive are PACKED! There are people on the floors and this is just a normal morning: what must it be like if there are flight delays?
And so it goes... I could go on, and write as much again, all in a similar vein.
Suffice to say: this was truly a 1star experience but for the guy, on our return, directing the disembarked passengers in song! Then just as we passed him he muttered "shoot me someone, please!"
This moment of humour, within an experience otherwise entirely devoid of joy, is imho worthy of an extra star!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@geoffknight, similar experience in T3 reclaim last weekend (18th). Bags coming out as we got down to carousel, then no more, sign says reclaim finished, everyone starts complaining and then the rest come out 20 minutes later. Always the same at Manchester. They seem to be targeted on first bag out in my view. As with you no one to take responsibility for it on the floor. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Blackblade wrote:
Sorry, just have to quote the late, great Douglas Adams ...

“It can hardly be a coincidence that no language on Earth has ever produced the expression "as pretty as an airport". Airports are ugly. Some are very ugly. Some attain a degree of ugliness that can only be the result of a special effort. This ugliness arises because airports are full of people who are tired, cross, and have just discovered that their luggage has landed in Murmansk (...) and the architects have on the whole tried to reflect this in their designs.

They have sought to highlight the tiredness and crossness motif with brutal shapes and nerve jangling colours, to make effortless the business of separating the traveller from his or her luggage or loved ones, to confuse the traveller with arrows that appear to point at the windows, distant tie racks, or the current position of the Ursa Minor in the night sky, and wherever possible to expose the plumbing on the grounds that it is functional, and conceal the location of the departure gates, presumably on the grounds that they are not.”

Or, to paraphrase, they’re all horrible - but the price you pay to go skiing !

Loved reading this quote - so true.

This thread was going well until the end because Turin wasn’t mentioned (I’ll lrobably be going there next year), but that clearly isn’t the one airport that is able to hold itself up as a shining beacon of non-rubbishness.

Hope this thread is proving therapeutic as there is certainly a whole lot of angst - and some really not very good experiences.
snow report
Themasterpiece wrote:
Geneva - skis took an hour to appear last time. Ridiculous

At least they arrived! My votes go to Turin and Chambery in that order.
snow report
We all have a choice as to the airports that we use and it is the price we pay to go skiing...

Most of the airports mentioned, certainly the UK ones, are served by no frills carriers. This means that you get what you pay for...if you want no queues at security then this means the airport employing more staff and using more equipment with these extra costs being passed onto the carriers and therefore the passengers.

Same with seating...they can provide seating areas or lease out that space to earn revenue which keeps prices low.

The "worst" ski airport I've been to was Kittila, simply because it was small (but charming) so with limited facilities. The worst airport I've ever been to was Dhaka...a horrible experience. It never snows there...which is a shame as it would have covered up the mess.
latest report
MontyP wrote:
Grenoble was appalling last year returning from a week in La Plagne with one of the big package operators. Basically 8 flights to the Uk all leaving within an hour from an airport that is only capable of handling a handful of passengers at a time. So unsurprisingly there were enormous queues for everything. The time it took to get through security meantthat they had to hold all the flights so we ended up a couple of hours late home.

Plus 1 for Grenoble. We had the self same experience last year. Insufficient capacity to cope with Saturday outbound demands to process travellers without significant delay. Had to walk a quarter of a mile to the aircraft too. Thankfully it wasn’t raining! Diabolical and I would not fly from there again.
ski holidays
Since it hasn't appeared here I assume that Sophia airport has improved a lot since I used it regularly (25+ years ago). Airside it has one small bar with half a dozen seats and that was it. There were no other seats airside. You stood.
snow report
Geneva, it took longer to get my skis in the airport that it did for the flight from Edinburgh...
snow conditions
Every time I've flown to GVA with skis, they have appeared at the oversize baggage collection point literally as I walked in to the baggage hall.
Remember, I'm flying from within Schengen zone too, so haven't had the passport control delay, making it appear even faster still compared to a UK traveller.

Manchester and Schiphol are the ones where bags take longer than the flight to arrive.
Schiphol, CDG, Orly and Cayenne - useless for skiing, but when we fly that route there's a sweepstake as to who will arrive with no bags. Mine arrived 11am on a Thursday, after the flight arrived 5pm on the Saturday.
latest report
Addis Abbaba, never any bloody snow
snow report
Grenoble - the place is CHAOS
snow report
@MogulMonkey, .
Quote:

Birmingham..always takes almost an hour after landing for bags to appear even when there is only a couple of flights landing😩

I agree that used to be a regular problem. But not my experience last couple of years. Bag usually done 3 laps of conveyor by time I've got through unreliable 'auto-reader' passport queues snowHead
ski holidays
@Frank Spencer,
Quote:

Addis Abbaba, never any bloody snow

Laughing
Bet you can do extreme roller skating though, Frank wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy