Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Evasion Mont Blanc - Megeve/St Gervais/Combloux/Les Contamines - 23/24

Poster: A snowHead
Yes I was surprised how decent the snow was this morning but it got slushy after lunch.

StG are running a park and ride from the Stade car park in Le Fayet but the buses aren’t that frequent so people would need to check times on the website when planning.

They do seem to be working hard on the new link, this week they have been installing the pulley gear and now its housing.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whitters wrote:
jedster wrote:
Resort was busy Sat/Sun

I was there the Saturday before last, just after some heavy snowfalls, and getting parked was a challenge just after 10am and we were probably one of the last that they let park on the road. Wasn't too bad once up on the slopes though.

Les C was always my go-to place when things were busy elsewhere as it never seemed to get too busy as it was a bit off the radar, but this no longer seems to be the case sadly (although good for Les C I suppose)

Yes although the key issue is how good the snow is in the region. If it is good everywhere then Les C will probably still be reasonably quiet. It is peak weeks and all weekends when decent snow is at a premium that the hordes invade!
And it is definitely good for the lift company and mountain restaurants but less good for the village because a lot of the skiers drive in and out. Although my friend who is an estate agent does see a pick up in buyers after a dodgy snow period when more skiers learn of Les C's attractions.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
With the increase in popularity of StG and LC, combined with the fact that the Scottish, English and Paris half terms are all the same week this year, and poor snow, I'm actually for the first time not really that excited for half term skiing.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jonny996 wrote:
With the increase in popularity of StG and LC, combined with the fact that the Scottish, English and Paris half terms are all the same week this year, and poor snow, I'm actually for the first time not really that excited for half term skiing.

This is the first HT in a decade that I won't be in Les C and as you say - I'm not bothered!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm starting to think that my decision last Sunday to book 5 nights in Sallanches from this Sunday might not have been the wisest!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Whitters wrote:
jedster wrote:
Resort was busy Sat/Sun

I was there the Saturday before last, just after some heavy snowfalls, and getting parked was a challenge just after 10am and we were probably one of the last that they let park on the road. Wasn't too bad once up on the slopes though.

Les C was always my go-to place when things were busy elsewhere as it never seemed to get too busy as it was a bit off the radar, but this no longer seems to be the case sadly (although good for Les C I suppose)

I learned that lesson over Christmas this year. I posted in one of the Les C/EMB threads that you need to be ready to queue for the first gondola up if you want to park in the lot. It pays off in the end as you can also avoid the download lines and/or an icy home run. We have friends who have a studio in Le Fayet and they barely ever bother with St. G (that may change if the gondola to St. G proper gets built)

But, Les Contamines really does have better snow most of the time than St. G/Megeve (at least IME) and it's somewhat cheaper, including for on-slope food. And the views are better.

It doesn't have the variety of runs, however, and it's not much fun in flat light/snow because there's almost no tree cover.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jedster wrote:
Jonny996 wrote:

This is the first HT in a decade that I won't be in Les C and as you say - I'm not bothered!

It is my last HT, then freedom of no school Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quick simple-ish question for the locals / regulars of this area:

I'm in Sallanches this week, boarded at Les Contamines today

In what order would you do the remaining three areas (St Gervais, Megève, Combloux) on the basis of what the current weather forecast is for this week?

Thanks in advance!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@jebroni3_16, my brother-in-law is out at the moment and reports Les C is easily holding up best.

We were out previously, and St G was OK above about 1600m but softened in the afternoon. Assuming the current sunshine and visibility continues it would be worth doing that just for the different experience and aspect of Mont Blanc.

The Rochebrune ridge in Megeve needs you to drop low to make the lift connections, but I would expect Cote 2000 to be pretty good. You can drive and park there, or take a navette from elsewhere in Megeve to avoid any slush skiing over.

Combloux is generally lower still, so again to enjoy the good bits you will have to put up with softer sections.

It looks to me that temperatures will be somewhat lower in the second half of the week, so given your base in Sallanches the next couple of days might be better exploring higher slopes in the Chamonix valley (Brevent/Grands Montets).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
And some of the Combloux slopes get a lot of sun.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks @j b (and @Origen)

I'm on public transport and using the excellent local buses to the Evasion Mont Blanc areas, so won't be looking to go further afield.

Your comments probably explain why the bus filled up massively at Bettex with St G folk heading for Les Contamines. Although I would suggest heading for La Gorge when there as the queue at Le Lay yesterday at 9am was huge!

Funny you mention Chamonix as when I was there for 4 days at the start of March last year, I ended up getting the coach to Courmayeur for two of them. And didn't regret that decision for a second.

The slushy conditions are less of an issue for me as a boarder, so if I can get back to sleep and still be up early, might hit Combloux tomorrow.

Assume Megève or St G will be least worst on Thursday if rain / snow arrive as currently forecast.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@jebroni3_16, yes word is spreading about that conveniently timed Y84 bus from St G to Les C. Except that as you found, its 0900 arrival hits peak queues.

I am not sure how Combloux works arriving on the Y83 bus. The town end of the ski area is pretty low and sun-prone. We have always entered via the Jaillet gondola via the navette from the bottom of the Megeve-Arbois gondola. But it is a fun trip to head over to La Giettaz, although the very long blue run has a section prone to ice in freeze-thaw conditions and the end will undoubtedly be slush. The top of the hill above La Giettaz has great views in all directions.

If you take the bus to Megeve you will end up at the bus station in town, not very near any slopes. But the navette running to Mont d'Arbois and on to Cote 2000 goes from there, you could easily go straight to the far end of the Rochebrune ridge and after exploring the decent runs there work your way back along the ridge.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
j b wrote:
I am not sure how Combloux works arriving on the Y83 bus. The town end of the ski area is pretty low and sun-prone. We have always entered via the Jaillet gondola via the navette from the bottom of the Megeve-Arbois gondola. But it is a fun trip to head over to La Giettaz, although the very long blue run has a section prone to ice in freeze-thaw conditions and the end will undoubtedly be slush. The top of the hill above La Giettaz has great views in all directions.

Y83 drops off right outside the tourist office, which is where the navette to the ski area handily picks up. The walk down to the ticket office and then back up to the chair-lift was an interesting start to the day though!

But it was another brilliant day. Yes, it got quite slushy lower down, but I don't mind that stuff.

As @Origen said, the pistes did get a lot of sun and whilst a few runs were closed (one briefly so a helicopter could land on it and I don't think it was just a practice drill) the trip over to La Giettaz was the definite highlight.

I think I must have timed it right to avoid the worst of the freeze-thaw and the view of Mont Blanc was magnificent. So much better than from the Chamonix side. Although still not a patch on the Matterhorn wink

St G or Megève tomorrow... decisions decisions Puzzled
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cote2000, I could do stade descente all day.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
From a SG perspective there was a 5cm+ last night at 1800cm(10cm at Signal) and a mix at Bettex so not much change overall but on the flip side no major damage. Foehn over the next couple of days will not help things but things looking more positive from Saturday night. No huge snowfalls currently forecast but maybe 3x5-15cm snowfalls between then and next Wednesday with reasonable temps. No major warming on the horizon with a possibility of a much cooler spell later in Feb.
snow report
Thanks @devilabit, I spotted snow on the roofs at Freddy when I did my morning check of the webcams. Nothing at Bettex, I assumed it was rain or non-settling sleet there.

The forecasts I monitor don't show any warming, and as you say a likelihood of some snow but not a proper dump. Not that it matters to us, waiting till after the French half term to return.
ski holidays
Jonny996 wrote:
Cote2000, I could do stade descente all day.

I thought I'd replied to this, but apparently not. So, excuse my ignorance and thanks (retrospectively) for the suggestion.

I took your advice, and headed straight for that end of Megeve. As soon as I got off the bus, I knew I wouldn't be staying in that sector for long. Stade Descente was actually closed for a competition and the runs closest to Mont Joly were still predominantly shaded and not completely to this snowboarder's liking.

However, having started there, it meant I could just board my way across towards Rochebrune and transferred across to St Gervais, knowing some snow was forecast overnight and to get my bearings, just in case...
snow report
devilabit wrote:
From a SG perspective there was a 5cm+ last night at 1800cm(10cm at Signal) and a mix at Bettex so not much change overall but on the flip side no major damage. Foehn over the next couple of days will not help things but things looking more positive from Saturday night. No huge snowfalls currently forecast but maybe 3x5-15cm snowfalls between then and next Wednesday with reasonable temps. No major warming on the horizon with a possibility of a much cooler spell later in Feb.

There certainly was! By sheer good luck as much as anything, I found myself in the first cabine up from Bettex that day, and managed to stay ahead of / avoid most of my fellow early risers for the first hour or two. Made plenty of fresh tracks on the piste and found myself at the top of Epaule as the "closed" sign for Mont Joly was being removed, so headed straight for there and boarded straight past a group of skiers who'd stopped by the link where another liftie was just starting to unfurl those closed signs too.

I was really surprised how quickly the snow turned to being some of the heaviest and wettest I've come across though and so headed across to Megeve, ready to call it quits around 1pm. Much to my pleasant surprise, however, the runs off the Alpette chair were holding up much better, and there was still a bit of fresh stuff at the sides of the pistes.

Still knocked it on the head around 2pm, probably the earliest I've ever done so, but I'd clearly already had the best of the day and decided to take advantage of the 50% off the balneoforme package at the Palais that my 2-day Evasion Mont Blanc pass afforded me.

Thanks to all concerned for the general info and specific responses on this thread. I hope the last two weeks have treated you all well, despite the half-term crowds, and that the rest of the season is as enjoyable as my 4 days were Smile
latest report
@jebroni3_16, glad you enjoyed your few days despite the snow conditions.

I assume your issue with Cote 2000 was the hardness of the morning pistes. A pity about Stade Descente but the name gives away the fact it is likely to be used for competitions; I quite like the red next to it too.
ski holidays
j b wrote:
@jebroni3_16, glad you enjoyed your few days despite the snow conditions.

I assume your issue with Cote 2000 was the hardness of the morning pistes
. A pity about Stade Descente but the name gives away the fact it is likely to be used for competitions; I quite like the red next to it too.

Got it in one! Laughing

But if I hadn't gone there first, I'd have spent the first part of the day getting there, only to turn round once I reached the competition.

And I probably wouldn't have seen the offer of 50% off the spa at the Palais (which the ticket office staff in St G the following day knew nothing about) which was a very pleasant way to end my trip. So all turned out brilliantly, ta!
snow report
@jebroni3_16, Two things from your post.
1) my ski buddies do think I’m a bit weird as I actually like a hard packed icy piste, god knows why because I’m rubbish on them.
2) that spa is very underrated & I would encourage anyone going to StG to have a relaxing couple of hours in there. It’s only going to get better once the little funicular lift goes live.
ski holidays
@Jonny996 - I couldn't speak more highly of the staff at the Palais in the reception and changing room areas: let me store my snowboard in the room they usually keep prams and wheelchairs (as I was actually staying in Sallanches) and helped me to secure two large lockers for all the other stuff.

The only thing that let it down for me were the clientele ignoring / staff not enforcing the rules in the spa area: there were a number of people using their phones to take pictures & videos and make calls and people routinely ignored the rule about taking a towel into the sauna. The fact that just about every one of the loungers was covered by a towel, and never actually used the lounger to sit on, irritated me somewhat too.

I'm great company, me rolling eyes

I'll let this thread get back to the weather / snow conditions again now! Thanks again all
ski holidays
I've been in Les C since Tuesday night so a quick update on conditions.
There's been a little bit of snow in the last week or so which has been important to freshen up the pistes. Above 1600m the pistes are in pretty good shape. It's freeze thaw conditions but the pistes are firm and grippy as opposed to icy first thing and then getting a little polished off or slushy by the afternoon depending on altitude and elevation. THere is very little snow below 1500m and the Les C resort runs are closed (and not truly skiable - I skied to Lay today and it was marginal stuff with a couple of 100m sections with skis off).
Off piste Is OK - chalky on N facing slopes, moguled on high traffic areas.
Today (Saturday) was the first post French half term ski day and while the morning was pretty quiet (only a minor queue for the bubble at 9) by the afternoon a lot of ski clubs and local skiers had converged on Les C (Geneva, Sixt as well as StG, Megeve) which I suspect is saying something about conditions elsewhere.
ski holidays
@jedster, It is still French half term this week.
snow report
rjs wrote:
@jedster, It is still French half term this week.

Yes you are right! Although only one zone is still off and its the the second half of that. But good point!
ski holidays
I’m coming out Friday & hopefully the midweek snow forecast will help.
It’s me & mates & we have a car so could travel if it’s that bad but by the sounds of it LC is best
ski holidays
We are also heading out later this week, and depending on conditions may well head up the valley....

Hoping the promised refresh Sunday and Tuesday actually happens.
latest report
We're heading out Good Friday for a week - shall we take the bikes instead...!?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SG needs a proper dump to improve things so hopefully tonight we get at least 20cm but Bettex etc needs a lot more. Its looking like next weekend will be a repeat of the last 2 weekends with most of the snow hitting the Sourthern alps. There is a rumour that SG might close earlier in March in order to start the works for the new lift but nothing confirmed.
snow conditions
@devilabit, we are certainly hoping for that snow tonight, flying out tomorrow. Bettex has been looking dire on the webcams - I assume it hasn't even been cold enough for snowmaking.

I don't know quite what their schedule is for the next stage of lift-building. It is clearly a major project to demolish the current bottom station and extend to the new one and I had wondered how they would manage it given they presumably want to have it running till the beginning of April and then again July and August.
ski holidays
I can imagine a bus replacement for the summer months
snow conditions
French lifts can get built very quickly. They spend forever talking about it, and then once agreed seem to throw them up in the twinkling of an eye with an impressive use of helicopters.
ski holidays
The lift station in the valley looked nearly finished when I left at the start of February.
snow conditions
The valley lift opening is delayed until early summer. The SG - Bettex lift will be closed in summer.
ski holidays
j b wrote:
@devilabitI assume it hasn't even been cold enough for snowmaking..

Between 22nd of Jan and 26th of Feb we had no night where the temp went below feezing at 880m, hopefully this is not the new norm but its certianly doesnt bode well for future winters at this altitude.
latest report
Not good! I imagine it needs to be about zero in town for snowmaking at Bettex.

The forecast shows a bit of a dip later this week, but after that staying mild.

I had assumed both the new gondola lifts would open late autumn, for the next ski season, but they would try to maintain the Bettex link over the summer - apparently not, but that would be hard. And hopefully the Thermes funicular will open on schedule in the Spring.
latest report
Snowing now at 880m so all is not lost snowHead
latest report

http://youtube.com/v/TpCYrQ3kJIQ - Emily in Megève (and St Gervais). These guys surely don't dress for skiing.
ski holidays
Wow, first day working cote 2000 in 3 weeks. It's still winter up here! At Alpette it's spring, down at village level, there is just enough slush/artificial snow to make town.
snow report
Is the ticket office at Cote 2000 open anymore, or is there just a machine? Thinking of trying to use one of the free days that I get with my Espace Diamant pass.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy