Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Evasion Mont Blanc - Megeve/St Gervais/Combloux/Les Contamines - 23/24

Poster: A snowHead
Les Contimens was in fantastic condition this morning, shame about the visibility
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rjs wrote:
Is the ticket office at Cote 2000 open anymore, or is there just a machine? Thinking of trying to use one of the free days that I get with my Espace Diamant pass.

No, Credit card only machine. Welcome to the world of the CMB
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We drove from Megeve to Les Saises, its free parking at the car park at the far end of the village, got a day lift pass and had a great day cruising around in a new area. Stayed high up and enjoyed the views. Recommend it as a day trip from Megeve when snow not at its best in the Megeve area.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Les Contamines very soft this morning - no overnight freeze and the popular blue and red runs below 1600 still chopped up from yesterday. Bottom of Nant Rouge into Jonction very sticky. Rain at Col du Joly began around 12:30 today and expected to continue on and off until mid morning tomorrow.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@NoDosh, however it’s the best snow available locally. Actually I was impressed by what the pisteurs achieved given the lack of a freeze - even that stretch at the bottom of Nant Rouge - until it all began to disintegrate around 12. They were helped by the cloud, yesterday some pistes got unpleasantly soft much earlier in the full sunshine.

Just hoping for one more decent ski tomorrow before we head home, it will probably be Les C and finishing early again.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Good to know your trip to Les Saisies went well, @No Style. It usually has about the best snow around (along with Les Contamines).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Origen, its your championing of Les Saises that inspired us!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cote 2000 now cut off from the rest of Megeve for the rest of the season! Rochbrune end, only Rochebrjne area main lifts and Arpette chair remain.

We lost the return from cote 2000 yesterday to flooding, the access today by an avalanche.

Jardin chair only 2 runs were remotely viable and no one is going to skate both ways along the ridge to access Rochefort, sorry.

Also no news on the ongoing fight with the fake ecologists and one very greedy chalet owner over the two new chairlifts.

Fight brewing over who will control Mont d'Arbois for the next 20 years. On this one I disagree with almost all my work colliges as I have a different grasp of maths and logic from living in many countries on many continents, as opposed to calling Sallanches another country!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Do you have any links that I can read more information on the Mont d’Arbios situation on?
Thanks
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Jonny996, I agree, that is a tantalising statement from @Idris.

From openings and closures I have the impression that different bits of Mont d'Arbois are controlled by three different outfits anyway - Megeve (Mont d'Arbois telecabine/Ideal chair and Mandarines and adjacent pistes), Demi-Quartier/Combloux (Princesse telecabine and pistes down to it) and St Gervais (Monts Rosset chair and Finance and related pistes).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Idris wrote:
Cote 2000 now cut off from the rest of Megeve for the rest of the season! Rochbrune end, only Rochebrjne area main lifts and Arpette chair remain.

We lost the return from cote 2000 yesterday to flooding, the access today by an avalanche.

If (and I appreciate it's a big if) a cold snap between now and Easter weekend does bring some more snow will that open up again? Or is it past the point of saving now? The webcam at the top of the Jaillet isn't looking too positive!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
michaelf wrote:

If (and I appreciate it's a big if) a cold snap between now and Easter weekend does bring some more snow will that open up again? Or is it past the point of saving now? The webcam at the top of the Jaillet isn't looking too positive!

Sorry no.

Taking down the protection on the Jardin and Fontaine chairs today.

Only Rochefort would remain skiable, no one is going to skate both ways for that.

Cote 2000 will stay open through the 7th (plenty of snow) Rochbrune Alpette if snow permits.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I can't say I am surprised. Looking across at the Rochebrune ridge from Mont Arbois last week, it was clear that the access on skis to Petite Fontaine was almost completely gone - we decided it wasn't worth heading over that side. Les Contamines got our custom!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonny996 wrote:
Do you have any links that I can read more information on the Mont d’Arbios situation on?
Thanks

https://www.actumontagne.com/sports/ski/ski-le-mont-darbois-ferme-lhiver-prochain/
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks @devilabit, what a lovely bit of local French political bitching. It looks as if my perception of commune involvement was roughly right.

M. Peillex is clearly quite an experienced political operator, his success in getting finance for the bridge, and now the valley gondola shows that. My guess is he is fed up with the bullying attitude of Compagnie des Alpes and this is a political ploy in the hope heads can be banged together and a constructive compromise found. Hopefully in the short time before the start of the summer season, though if the Bettex lift won't be open anyway he might not feel an obligation to be bounced into an unfavourable resolution.

I certainly understand frustration from the St Gervais side about the Demi-Quartier and Combloux sectors - those runs down to Princesse haven't been open any of the times we've been this season - and a feeling that the STMBA could manage that better.
snow conditions
j b wrote:
Hopefully in the short time before the start of the summer season, though if the Bettex lift won't be open anyway he might not feel an obligation to be bounced into an unfavourable resolution.

That is a very good point, that lift not opening in the summer is going to have little affect on StG as the bottom part is out anyway.
snow report
There are obviously complicated rules in France about transport which crosses a commune boundary. I assume that is why the navette connecting Le Fayet to the StG telecabine takes the minor road via Fayet-en-Haute rather than the main road which is partly within the Passy commune; and why there isn't a navette directly connecting the StG and Les Contamines telecabines (though you can change navettes at the boundary). And why the original route for the Valleen gondola starting near the big supermarket just outside Le Fayet (in Domancy commune) was abandoned in favour of one completely within StG.

(And presumably similar rules at departmental level, judging by the way the public buses starting in the Arve valley don't extend along the Arly valley beyond the boundary with Savoie).

On the ski lifts though, St Gervais looks in a pole position politically. All the other commune's main lifts need collaboration with StG, whereas only the Bosses drag lift from StG territory crosses a boundary. It is probably why the skiing in the week before Christmas was so restricted (basically just those up to Freddy and Mont Joux), and no doubt a source of friction with Megeve and Demi-Quartier who chose not to open them.
latest report
I suspect a lot of this is not because of "rules" but because of endemic local animosity and jealousy between communes.
snow report
@Origen, you are probably right, what above I called "local French political bitching".

They have long memories. It is probably all because of events dating back to about the seventeenth century, when a StG landowner (minor aristocrat) hired a good lawyer and got the French courts to declare that the alpage on the top of that ridge belonged to StG.

The same thing happened on the other side of the valley, the alpage (and thus the ski area) across to Prarion is part of StG and the relevant parts of the Les Houches ski area have to be labelled as such. And resultant animosity, requests by StG for a joint ski pass covering EMB and Les Houches (to which there is direct access from StG by the Tramway) have been consistently rebuffed.
snow report
It's not just old resentments and long memories. I don't know much about how the communal forests and alpages work. But it can be of immense economic and financial importance. The town of Beaufort got a LOT of money (and still does, I believe) because "their alpage" was drowned by the Roselend dam. If that had been in the UK the land would probably have been owned by some huge land owner and the local peasants would have seen none of the compensation.
ski holidays
Rochebrune now closed for the season. Cote 2000 stays open to the 7th but isn't realy worth the visit at Coq d'or starts tomorrow, follwed by the Championat de France. Recommended les Contamines
snow conditions
@Idris, to misquote the poet it seems the season is ending not with a bang but a whimper. There can't be much open anywhere, I assume Mont d'Arbois above the Ideal/Nants/Mont Joux lifts is functioning, and the webcam page claims there is still access to Megeve and St Nicholas but those must now be ribbons of slush across green grass.

As you say, Les Contamines. Over three visits this winter we have spent nearly half our time there. Fingers crossed for 24-25.
latest report
For anyone based at the Megeve end of the domaine, there's a fair bit open in Les Saisies and over to Bellastat and the top of Notre Dame de Bellecombe.
snow report
@Origen, Bellasta wasn't open today because of the wind, it seemed to be funneled up to the Col des Saisies then up the pistes on each side of the bowl, was difficult to get up any speed to ski.

Saw several instructors from Megeve with groups.
snow conditions
That's interesting, @rjs. My family and friends heading to Saisies this weekend (sans moi). Hoping to find about the same range of skiing there was at Christmas (i.e. not as much as usual, but a lot more than some places around). Not surprised you saw Megeve instructors. We sometimes used to see instructors from Flaine, too.
snow report
According to the StG news letter email, the StG gondola closes today & they start dismantling it, to redirect it to the new gondola house.

This has to be the point of no return for the project & let's all hope it goes to plan & time ready for Christmas 2024.....
latest report
Jonny996 wrote:
According to the StG news letter email, the StG gondola closes today & they start dismantling it, to redirect it to the new gondola house.

This has to be the point of no return for the project & let's all hope it goes to plan & time ready for Christmas 2024.....

The new lower gondala house is already built. 2days ago the car park was full of gear ready to start work this morning.

Lower section has only one pylon left to finish before installing the cable!
snow report
@Idris, it is impressive how they are working. We only left a fortnight ago, and having seen how they put together the Valleen stations I could imagine the new lower Bettex station would soon be ready. But at that point there were no pylons on the Valleen route, while we were there some large lorries unloaded pylon sections in a corner of the car park (by the Fire Station) but I hadn't realised they were being installed so quickly. Presumably using helicopters.

Do you know if they are installing brand new pylons on the Bettex route, or are they modifying the cable runs on the existing ones? (Some of them are the 85 year old originals).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
j b wrote:
@Idris
Do you know if they are installing brand new pylons on the Bettex route, or are they modifying the cable runs on the existing ones? (Some of them are the 85 year old originals).

https://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=39895&pid=384357&st=0&#entry384357
snow report
Thanks @Idris, seems like all pylons being replaced.

Apparently the original plan (prior to the Valleen project and the idea of combining the lift stations) was for the current Bettex lift to keep going until 2039 when the pylons would have reached their centenary.
latest report
Skiied in LC on the penultimate day of the season and despite the very high temps it was actually quite good for a couple of hours.

It looks like the issues with the Princesse/Mont d'Arbois area have been resolved at least for the next 2 seasons, albeit it will further delay any investment in the area.

https://www.info-flash.com/info-flash/actualites/france/auvergne-rhone-alpes/haute-savoie/30183-megeve/70017048-information.html
snow report
Are they still bashing ahead with the hotel at the top of the Princesse lift or has it stopped again?

Also wish they would put a webcam up pointing at the old/new StG lift house so I could see progress.
latest report
Jonny996 wrote:
Are they still bashing ahead with the hotel at the top of the Princesse lift or has it stopped again?

Also wish they would put a webcam up pointing at the old/new StG lift house so I could see progress.

I havent seen any reports about this but it was due to be ready for the start of next season, as of last summer it was still in the pipeline.
snow report
@Jonny996, there is a guy who posts update pictures weekly here https://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=39895&st=20

(A Snowheads lookalike site).

The old base station is being dismantled, and the demolition team have begun to set up at the top station.
ski holidays
@j b, I have just found my second favorite site, cheers,
snow report
@Jonny996, if you go up a website level on that forum you will also find the thread for the Valleen project (the new gondola up from Le Fayet).

Acknowledgement to @Idris above for the link.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy