Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Planning for Japan 2019

Poster: A snowHead
Following closely this thread as I'm also planning 1st trip to Japan! On a budget but interested in good deals for offpiste guiding. Am I right to assume that hiring a guide for an offpiste day cost around the same as Europe: 100€-ish per person. We are 3 guys, 2 fairly good offpiste skier/snowboarder + 1 offpiste intermediate skier. Happy to tag along with 1 or 2 others
Will be there late Jan to early Feb.: 26-30 in Central Hokkaido (based in Furano) and 30-3 Feb in Niseko.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is Japan only worth it for off-piste? I've just seen some cheap flights to Tokyo so was thinking about combining the two. My wife & I are intermediates at best, with little off-piste experience - would 6 days in Hakuba be overkill?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mooney058 wrote:
@rog, I usesd Hokkaido resort liner https://www.access-n.jp/sp/
everything worked very well

That's the one I was looking at. They responded very quickly to my e-mail queries and I'll book with them for sure. Thanks.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Morter wrote:
Is Japan only worth it for off-piste? I've just seen some cheap flights to Tokyo so was thinking about combining the two. My wife & I are intermediates at best, with little off-piste experience - would 6 days in Hakuba be overkill?

If you only want pistskiing go to the alps. (or Åre).

If you want an other culture expirience or other reason to go to Japan, it is a different matter. Smile

Culture is found in Nozawa, Zao (and some other places).

Large skiing area for pist is sin Shiga-kogen. (ski in ski out places)

(pistskier with other reason to go to Japan)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Morter wrote:

Definitely not.

No Japanese resort can compete with the number and length of runs of a Val d'Isere for example.

But the majority have fantastic groomed runs which are replenished almost daily. Unlike many resorts around the world which reflatten old snow.

The runs are quiet, and most are treelined giving great visibility when it's snowing.

And transitioning from the groomed runs to the powder on the sides is both safe (from an avalanche and crevasse perspective) and enjoyable.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Morter, Yes its worth it

These might be of interest

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=73205
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1937004&highlight=zao#1937004

Zao was amazing a truly Japanese experience, and twinning it with Shiga Kogen meant we got the snow monsters and snow monkeys.
Lodge Scole is Zao is still going , Mao the lady that runs it was at the Ski Show
Bersa room in Shiga Kogan is now called Bleuet
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Should I add a little beside the nice snow - there is onsen and great food.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Cedrick, Not sure on guiding costs but I may be able to ski with you at some point - I'm going to based in either Otaru or Furano (will probably choose last minute depending on conditions!) from 27th Jan - 1st Feb, on my own but with car. Furano has some quite good off-piste skiing out of the gates which you don't really need a guide for, if you're comfortable skiing off piste. Same for Niseko.

Probably will stay at New Hakuginso if I go for the Furano option - I've stayed there before and it's a very Japanese experience!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers for the replies all, looks good. I've had a couple of days skiing in Korea and enjoyed the change of atmosphere so this sounds up my street Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sounds good @musehead, lets talk more when closer to the date!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Morter wrote:

No way is it overkill, Hakuba is a valley of around 9 medium size resorts with an abundance of bars, cafes, restaurants and onsens. Ive done 4 seasons do date and never get bored, will be backing up again late January. Cool
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Morter wrote:

No way is it overkill, Hakuba is a valley of around 9 medium size resorts with an abundance of bars, cafes, restaurants and onsens. Ive done 4 seasons do date and never get bored, will be backing up again late January. Cool
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just another vote for Hukuba. I had two weeks there late Jan early Feb this year and loved it. Great food, great bars, each of the ski resorts give you a different experience so no chance of getting bored. The grooming is first class so always plenty of easy snow to enjoy. Also enough English spoken and international staff to ensure communications are easy enough. You can still find little bars where they only speak Japanese but they are welcoming and give great service. Definitely a more Japanese experience than Niseko which has been over run by foreigneers (especially Australians) Not that I'm bagging the Ozzies but there are a lot of them
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can anyone give me some advice on Hakuba.

Will be with a group who want to ski powder but also maybe have a bowl of ramen and a beer at the end of the day...

Definitley all over Hakuba Cortina for the skiing, however sounds like it's pretty detatched from any civilisation.

Question is do we:
A) Stay near Hakuba Cortina for fresh lines and get a bus into town for food
B) Stay in Hakuba proper and get a bus to Hakuba Cortina for fresh lines (albeit possibly less fresh)

Any input would be much appreciated!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Anyone skied the Myoko Resorts. I'm thinking of a last minute trip - was looking at Niseko but that's all booked out (for budget accom). Myoko seems to snow a lot and has some accom available but the skiing looks fairly tame....I might be wrong. Any info about what its like would be great. Was also looking a Furano but it doesn't seem to be getting much snow at all.

Cheers
snow report
@BMG, I've not but i'm going this year for a week to Akakura Onsen. Having a car gives you quite a few nearby options. Seki Onsen and Suginohara sound good. I skied Madarao last year which is nearby, and is good (lots of permitted off-piste zones in the trees). Unfortunately didn't hit it on a powder day but I saw lots of potential.
snow report
I've just come back from Niseko. Had an amazing time. Loads of snow even though the locals were saying it was the worst start to the season in over 10 years!

I have written a blog and does a video on the days we spent in Annupuri and Hirafu -

http://batterseaski.co.uk/night-skiing-in-niseko-annupuri/
http://batterseaski.co.uk/a-review-of-niseko-grand-hirafu-and-hanazono/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy