Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2018/2019

Poster: A snowHead
@BergenBergen, One has a hammer, the other has a qualification. Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lovely snow today, but winds and visibility in many places (Fornet, Plaine Dranse) were appalling. We stuck to the trees and easily navigated off-piste around Lindarets, as the trees shielded us from wind Some nice, variable terrain to bomb down as there has not been enough show to erase all the bumps off-piste, but enough to make them very forgiving, tempting one to bounce through them at any speed desired!

Hoping that tonight's dump coincides with a drop in winds. Avi risk was up to 4 today, so plenty of stuff that was not skiable. Plenty of visibly swept ice and wind-blown slabs, especially in Avoriaz.

http://youtube.com/v/U925MrDQmOU
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We took that lift today in the high winds and crossed our fingers the entire time Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Harry Flashman wrote:
Lovely snow today, but winds and visibility in many places (Fornet, Plaine Dranse) were appalling. We stuck to the trees and easily navigated off-piste around Lindarets, as the trees shielded us from wind Some nice, variable terrain to bomb down as there has not been enough show to erase all the bumps off-piste, but enough to make them very forgiving, tempting one to bounce through them at any speed desired!

Hoping that tonight's dump coincides with a drop in winds. Avi risk was up to 4 today, so plenty of stuff that was not skiable. Plenty of visibly swept ice and wind-blown slabs, especially in Avoriaz.

http://youtube.com/v/U925MrDQmOU

Yep I second that!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Very sorry to report a total washout today with rain to 2000m, at least on the Les Gets/Nyon side. Yesterday's powder is now slush, and the off-piste is not skiable. Lots of overnight avalanches visible as the rain has destroyed the snowpack, with some runs closed with avalanche debris on them (unblasted, which is bit scary). High lifts like Pointe de Nyon and Chamossier are closed, with visible avalanche slides all over the faces of those peaks, as the attempt to blast things.

I came home! Pistes have plenty on them, so as long as it gets cold again and they can be groomed, that will be fine. The off-piste is dead unless it drops in temp, we get good snow, and everything bonds properly.

Get those piste skis out, and wait, people!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Chatel is reporting 5/5 today! Must be lots of snow uptop. Reports of good snowfalls at village level yesterday afternoon and overnight.

snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes we have not gone out today- total washout.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Harry Flashman, that sounds grim. I hope it improves by next week (arriving Thurs.)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Very grim. Approximately 35-40cm of fresh (at ardent first thing) but it's all been ruined. Rain to much higher levels than the lifts were running to today so anyone's guess where it stopped, possibly 2000m possibly the very top.

yesterday was much fun before the lifts closed early, and for sure we are going to have a very decent spring, but today very disappointing. Expecting much epicness, got soaked. less powder, more concrete.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mt Chery nice yesterday.
Today pretty windy, though more lifts opened up towards the end of the morning.
Back home now, as it seems ti be getting worse.
Weather for the rest of the week looks great though.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Anyone know if Chaux Fleurie is closed long term, or just closed today because of the wind?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
10cm fresh snow overnight, skies clear again now.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not exactly bottomless off piste but fun all the same. Spaghetti legs required Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Shawsy wrote:
Anyone know if Chaux Fleurie is closed long term, or just closed today because of the wind?

I can confirm I was on the sixth chair after it opened this morning and it’s working fine. What followed however was the sheer joy of straightlining through the untouched fluffy dry fresh powder on the piste. It’s something I’ve only experienced a couple of times in a good number of years in the PDS and I won’t forget in a hurry.

That first run took some beating but we certainly tried by heading over to Chatel for the more of the on piste goodness, followed by numerous laps of all the spots off cornebois and surrounding areas.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As the others have said, a lovely powder morning. Not enough to make the off-piste amazing - anything bumpy was a bit treacherous (I'm talking to you, tree run off the Lindarets lift and down to the Ardent car park), and the powder was pretty heavy by lunchtime as temps climbed, but the piste was an absolute joy yesterday with mounds of fresh powder all over the place. Beautiful, sunny weather, too.

But, truth be told, whilst this season has seen great piste skiing, powder days have been a rare thing.

Off to St Jean D'Aulps today for a bit of a change. If I don't fall asleep first - the baby has a cold, and she has been up since 4am...
snow conditions
Harry Flashman wrote:

But, truth be told, whilst this season has seen great piste skiing, powder days have been a rare thing.

Seriously? I have skied more powder this season than the last three put together. Apart from a couple of hot weeks in Feb I would say nearly every week since late November. And January, it felt like every couple of days (obviously it wasn’t)

I guess a lot depends on timing, days off etc but for me, one of the best seasons I can remember and I’ve seen a few. Confused
snow conditions
I’m with you zzz. Powder days haven’t been a rare thing for me this season. And not only that, I remember plenty of bluebird days following a dump of snow, on a number of occasions when clear skies weren’t forecast.

Last season saw more powder days but the weather just about always remained grey after it snowed.

I agree about the on piste conditions though. They’ve remained very good for the most part, when the PDS is often plagued by pretty icy stuff. Best of a number of seasons for me
latest report
My wife and I are considering basing ourselves in morzine for a week from Sunday. Is there likely to be enough snow to ski all the way back to the town?
snow report
Yes
ski holidays
Very excited - flights just booked for the last week of the season. We've never been later than about now, so we'll make the best of what we find!
snow conditions
Arriving tomorrow, will pack sun cream... Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
zzz wrote:
Harry Flashman wrote:

Seriously? I have skied more powder this season than the last three put together. Apart from a couple of hot weeks in Feb I would say nearly every week since late November. And January, it felt like every couple of days (obviously it wasn’t)

I guess a lot depends on timing, days off etc but for me, one of the best seasons I can remember and I’ve seen a few. Confused

I think I was spoiled by my last season here five years ago, when we had powder every week until April! Jan was fantastic, but as far as I remember most of Feb was not (for powder, anyway - I absolutely loved blasting around in the sunshine on piste, as I am doing today). And I have been out for every pow day, as days off don't occur when there is fresh to be had! I wasn't skiing last season, but I believe that it was rather better for precipitation - or was it all just rain?

Spent yesterday in the park, in glorious sunshine, testing out my ACL rehab regime. Blue kickers only, and absolutely no spins or rails (how I did the injury in the first place). No pain today, but am not going back for at least a week, and only in the afternoons when the landings are nice and soft!
ski holidays
By the way, busting around in the sunshine yesterday was fantastic. Pistes held up until well into the afternoon, and the slush was totally manageable (I like slush, anyway).
latest report
Beautiful sunshine here and lack of crowds is super. Enjoying my first trip to Chatel.
ski holidays
Rois1980 wrote:
Beautiful sunshine here and lack of crowds is super. Enjoying my first trip to Chatel.

Yeah it really has been very noticeably quiet this week. Pistes not chopped up even later in the day, nice spring snow appearing over the mountain. Beautiful weather.
snow conditions
Looking forward to tomorrow Smile
ski holidays
There was something on my wife's Facebook page this morning about a 50% discount for Season Passes, but no link to click. Anybody got any more info about this?
snow report
https://www.ski-morzine.com/
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hope this is ok to ask here. Need to book a transfer from Avoriaz to Geneva. I will be staying at L’amara appts. How far is this from the welcome centre?

How much longer is the transfer from here than at the bottom of the Prodains?
ski holidays
re next year PDS passes- still more expensive than this season for me as we had 2 adults ,2 'young persons' (19 and 21) which were 1/2 price and an under 12 who was free with the adult season pass.
This new structure gives my 4 adults and one child to pay for rolling eyes
ski holidays
ianvip wrote:
Hope this is ok to ask here. Need to book a transfer from Avoriaz to Geneva. I will be staying at L’amara appts. How far is this from the welcome centre?

L’Amara is about 200m from the welcome centre. It’s well travelled on the transfer circuit, you will be dropped off in its very tight underground car park right next to the reception. It’s an extra 20 ish minutes up the hill than being dropped at prodains
snow conditions
For those out in the Summer, it looks like the final stage of the Dauphiné is a race through the PdS:
https://www.criterium-du-dauphine.fr/en/stage-8
Taking a close look at the route it looks like it will include a great road know by transfer drivers of a certain vintage as "The Comedy Shortcut".
snow conditions
@WindOfChange, gutted as not planning to arrive in Chat until 17/6. Expecting to see you on TV running up the Corbier in a yellow mankini.
snow report
@WindOfChange, Very Happy . You must know Terry Firmin! wink
snow report
Nelbert75 wrote:
ianvip wrote:

L’Amara is about 200m from the welcome centre. It’s well travelled on the transfer circuit, you will be dropped off in its very tight underground car park right next to the reception. It’s an extra 20 ish minutes up the hill than being dropped at prodains

Thanks
snow conditions
@shep, Guilty as charged Smile
@Ozboy, I don't have a mankini, but French law dictates that all men must have a pair of inappropriately tight budgie smugglers.
I will break these out and run up the Col waving a pair of big Green PMU hands like Kenny Everett.
latest report
@WindOfChange, you could get a practice run in the morning as the Morzine sportive is also going over the col that morning.
ski holidays
@Ozboy, But I won't get the giant PMU hands until the Publicity Caravan comes through.
The Morzine Sportive will have to make do speedos only.
snow conditions
Anyone know how Chatel is holding up? Got relatives out at the weekend stopping there for a week (near Linga lift), they have kids so hoping nursery slope will still be ok for them or may they have to venture higher for lessons?
ski holidays
@duncansarmy, Super Chatel was still okay last weekend. They should be fine and there will be able to take lessons at PLJ which which they can reach by bus from Linga.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy