Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lockdown coping strategies - what have you bought/planned?

Poster: A snowHead
New bike. Bianchi. Built from scratch to my own specification. Campagnolo etc.
Quite hard work finding the bits. NOBODY has any stock of anything at the moment. Now busy researching summer biking trips. Thomson Bike Tours look good but are eye-wateringly expensive.
My thoughts are turning to my motorbikes next... Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Handy Turnip wrote:
My coping mechanism in the first lockdown back in April was to start wine making (wine kits making 30 bottles a kit). Now my coping mechanism in this lockdown will be to drink my way through it all - and if this mornings home schooling is anything to go by, it won't take me long.

Currently have well over 100 bottles ready to be drunk - and another 60 bottles worth either fermenting or aging!

Laughing Laughing I could help you finish them if you need any help! For exactly the same reasons!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@always29, Laughing Laughing more the merrier!!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just bought two more 20Kg bar weights and a new turbo trainer.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rowing machine and Exercise bike in the garage. Try to use them every day. Walking when weather not too bad. Careful with alcohol. Aim to reduce weight rather than gain. And restarted learning piano.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@kditrj2d, Nice, seems like blasphemy to be not to fit a Bianchi with Campag. Unfortunately Bianchi don't agree enough Wink

I build my own (with Campag mix&match after consulting with Campag UK) a few years ago based on a Boardman team carbon frame... Rides much like my brother-in-laws Giant propel which he picked up in a sale at twice what I spent... Except it shifts better wink

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 5-01-21 18:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@kditrj2d, Nice. In Celeste I hope!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My Yamaha sound bar arrived today and is up and running. Smart trainer purchased this morning so a few days to wait Cool
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Morning glory - do they come in other colours?????!!!!! Surely not possible....

(Note I saw a Brompton in an approximation of Celeste. Blasphemy)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
TA DA!!!!

origins of Celeste: war surplus

http://italiancyclingjournal.blogspot.com/2012/01/origins-of-bianchi-celeste-and-more.html
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A 4-6 person hot tub from Costco, our original blow up tub developed a pump fault but as purchased through Amazon was refunded fully after 10 months use.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Handy Turnip,

and if it tastes like drainwater, you could always build a still & go into the 70% hand sanitizer business.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I bought an exercise bike; which I use every day for an hour (15 miles).

My son bought me a new(er) Xbox as a combined Christmas, birthday and retirement present; so I can play on line with him and my grandson. Then my daughter bought me a new gaming headset for Christmas to use with the Xbox. Sorted. Love it. Toofy Grin

We can't go anywhere, as Mrs Awd has been effectively shielding since last February, so it helps break the boredom of being stuck inside; whilst she reads books on her kindle and watches films.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ronald - Agree, very poor that Bianchi no longer appears to offer a Campag group-set on anything other than the Oltre.
@MorningGlory - Of course its celeste! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
valais2 wrote:
TA DA!!!!

origins of Celeste: war surplus

http://italiancyclingjournal.blogspot.com/2012/01/origins-of-bianchi-celeste-and-more.html

There must be more than one Celeste colour. With my old and new bikes side-by-side there is clearly a colour difference and the old one has not faded! The new colour is brighter than the old.
latest report
To add to my previous bike purchases, I've just bought a Zwift steerer, partly funded by my lift pass refund that's just come through from last season. It arrives tomorrow, and I'm looking forwards to weaving all over the road!

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/elite-sterzo-smart-trainer-steering-frame
ski holidays
I recently purchased some optrex refreshing eye drops for tired eyes. I though I would experiment and see if this made my eyes feel slightly better in the mornings, and maybe stop some of the blood which occassionally appears.

I have done some reading on the internet, and I suspect due to my age (over 50 now) and the low humidity when I put an open fire on in winter, it is caused by dryness.

I have no serious irritation usually, occassional styes. Never had any vision problems, do not need glasses. Eyes still working fine, maybe the use of laptop screens may be causing the problem.

It is not a new thing, been gradually getting this way over the last 10 years. Not worth bothering a medic about yet, as no problems.

So I am starting out with the plant based eye drops which are probably just saline water, and see what happens. I initially wanted to try the eyelid spray stuff, but decided to see how I get on with the cheapest first.
ski holidays
And that your idea of something to help cope with lockdown Puzzled
latest report
It gives me something to focus on Laughing
snow conditions
Secondhand Scaletrix - many Grand Prix meetings with my daughter who loves it. Best 40 quid I’ve ever spent. Rest of it is being banked and a decent wedge sent to the local food bank every month as so many families struggling.
latest report

snow conditions
Orange - now you are talking. Have you tried any of the Slot It models? They re stunningly fast and controllable. See

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Slot-It-SICA02a-PORSCHE-956C-21-3rd-LE-MANS-1983/164623238992?hash=item26544f4750:g:NVIAAOSwQqRf8eh7
latest report
I bought a treadmill. I have a motorcycle. Ski resorts in USA are taking reservations - the good side is lines are short. Smile
snow report
mtndude wrote:
Ski resorts in USA are taking reservations - the good side is lines are short. Smile

You're talking about the lines to get into USA, I'm sure?

Because the lines on the mountains are anything but short!
ski holidays
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
The lure of some new and not inexpensive kit for fake motorsport is quite strong

I'm blaming this thread for me spending a few hundred quid on a new set of pedals yesterday.
ski holidays
Quote:

Have to confess I bought an additional 9-pack of loo rolls last week.

That that is what I call planning for an exciting time.
latest report
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Have to confess I bought an additional 9-pack of loo rolls last week.

That that is what I call planning for an exciting time.

That reminds me of my best purchase from Lockdown 1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hibbent-Electric-Mechanical-Adjustable-Pressure/dp/B06XPF24G4/ref=sr_1_4_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Bidet+Seat&qid=1609932583&sr=8-4-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzVlhLOVJVUTFSTUo1JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODk5NjQxMzJFRFlVTU9LRlVLSCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzM2OTM1MURSTDVRTTczRkxOSSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU%3D&tag=amz07b-21

It's the cheap version so has the slight version of the seat not being heated and being cold water only. At this time of year, very cold water Shocked
snow report
Surely you mean an exiting time?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Rest of it is being banked and a decent wedge sent to the local food bank every month as so many families struggling.

Yep, I'm sending money to the Trussel Trust as well.

My wife bought me a new Lego Mindstorms set (51515) for christmas and now I'm learning the new programming languages. They replaced LabView with Scratch and a version version of Python. As soon as I learn the coding (I'm leaning towards Python at the moment) I have plans for a stair climbing robot and a marketting plan for selling it to the Daleks.
ski holidays
@dode, Laughing
snow report
It's a beautiful sunny day here today and I'm playing in a digger. It's better than being stuck in an office!
snow report
Like @Mosha Marc, a new turbo trainer.....bringing the roadbike indoors and giving it a new purpose in the office room. Our house will look like a gym for the next few weeks, weights and bar out of the cupboard too....getting my race face on for those late spring forest climbs on my mtb as we depart lockdown.
ski holidays
Bigtipper wrote:
I recently purchased some optrex refreshing eye drops for tired eyes. I though I would experiment and see if this made my eyes feel slightly better in the mornings, and maybe stop some of the blood which occassionally appears.

I have done some reading on the internet, and I suspect due to my age (over 50 now) and the low humidity when I put an open fire on in winter, it is caused by dryness.

I have no serious irritation usually, occassional styes. Never had any vision problems, do not need glasses. Eyes still working fine, maybe the use of laptop screens may be causing the problem.

It is not a new thing, been gradually getting this way over the last 10 years. Not worth bothering a medic about yet, as no problems.

So I am starting out with the plant based eye drops which are probably just saline water, and see what happens. I initially wanted to try the eyelid spray stuff, but decided to see how I get on with the cheapest first.

Had exactly same problem a few years ago - optician recommended heavy duty cod liver oil capsules - one a day - now never a problem - highly recommended....
snow report
I know someone tried the blue light filtering glasses for gaming and found them helpful (in their 20s so may be different cause)
snow report
More wine as won't be able to bring any back from skiing
snow report
Just before xmas we remembered the Nintendo Wii, which has sat un-loved for about 5-6 yrs - now set up working again and with the Wii balance board the closest I'll get to skiing this season
Wierdly, as its not really physically like skiing, it is quite immersive and a small conselation and reminder of what we're missing.
ski holidays
@johnE, your post above was the first I've heard of Lego Mindstorms - and coinciding with my grandchildren being thrown out of school again was wondering about buying it for them, having googled it. I'm in touch with the kids about it. I have one son who is the architect of one of the world's biggest computer chips and one with a Ph D in computational neuroscience, who can help their lot. My local son and daughter are teachers, but he is quite techy and would enjoy it.

But then envisaging one of them (possibly the 8 year old girl who built my rowing machine for me) becoming very patronising explaining things to me was wondering whether I should get myself a set too. Could I get into building robots? Might be good for me. I'm not in the least interested in jigsaw puzzles but that might be more absorbing. So perhaps I should get myself a set, too? I'm not very keen on TV, and it would be something other than reading to do in the long dark evenings.
ski holidays
@pam w, yes definitely, if it interests you. My mum just bought herself the Harry Potter Hogwarts Lego set to build – she has never built any Lego before, but likes HP and decided it would be something to keep her busy a while (it will, it’s massive!). That’s less complex than the Mindstorms, but no reason you can’t give it a go. Get on YouTube if you get stuck with something that can’t be explained by an 8 year old (unlikely, tbh).

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 6-01-21 17:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

Just before xmas we remembered the Nintendo Wii, which has sat un-loved for about 5-6 yrs - now set up working again and with the Wii balance board the closest I'll get to skiing this season

We passed a very happy couple of hours on NYE playing Just Dance with our teenagers, using our long-neglected Wii. Such fun.
Nintendo games are just so easy to get into. We also have the balance board, I can see that coming out to play this weekend.
snow report
Well my OH back in the UK has taken to a dip in the sea along with my daughters along with some other friends who have joined in too.

Evidently, after the 6th day it starts to get easier and today she managed two minutes where initially it was splash and dash.

I'm just glad I'm in France Laughing

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy