Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Free Parking At The Lift Thread...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
mountainaddict wrote:
Maybe someone on the ground in the resort, like Chocsaway, may be able to shed some light on next season's parking arrangements.

It will be a problem in the autumn too. Lots of clubs used to park for the day at Val Claret, often with equipment to carry to the funicular.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bump.
There used to be free car parking in Courchevel La Praz. It was so 3 years ago. No more.
The large car park just after the left hand bend as you go out of La Praz (PARKING JEAN BLANC) now has a barrier and is for long stay parking only.
Just before that there is a small area (PARKING DE LA COMBA DO FOR), but a sign says 45 minutes only.
https://www.mairie-courchevel.com/fileadmin/courchevel/SERVICES_PRATIQUES/3-_Stationnement_et_Transports/Flyer_CPA.pdf
So we went for the car park next to the lifts (Alpinium): very smart, good sized bays and plenty of room for getting in and out. But 13.60€ for the day! (La Daille open car park was 11.60€)

Lovely comment on the Marie's parking page: "Les places de stationnement extérieures sont gratuites mais leur durée d'occupation est limitée à 45 minutes. En cas de dépassement, la police municipale pourra procéder à une verbalisation." Verbalisation? Severe telling off?

We will try La Tania next time.
Hopefully P4 is still free in Val Thorens.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmmm….I have a slightly different approach.

A lot of people don’t even think about who owns the infrastructure at a specific place. Tour operators increase this sense of ‘pay the money, then fly, coach, ski, all organised by others…’. And this sense of ‘it’s all done by ‘others’’ is increased by big underground car parks which look like municipal car parks, high charges, staff who act like local officials etc. So in those contexts there’s a tendency to go for free parking, anywhere. And often a lot of conflict results.

But where we are, we know that it’s the tiny Communes (Vercorin, Chandolin, Nax) which own and operate the lifts, and 5 chf is not expensive for a day’s parking there, in the open, gravel car parks. Nax is hilarious, since the upper car park is phenomenally cold and notoriously icy - and free. Want to avoid the freeze and the tricky slidey steep corner? Park in the lower car park and pay 5 chf. Which the Commune need to keep the installations running.

Vercorin took out a big loan to put in the big gondola about ten years ago, and every 5chf helps pay that. It’s a great gondola and makes Vercorin a lovely destination in terrible weather - gondola laps rather than chair laps. They have improved their car park hugely in the last three years, it’s all one minute’s walk from the lift and the great new cafe, and only 5-8 chf for the day. That’s the price of two cups of coffee. I have no problem plopping a 5chf coin into the machine…
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Parking at Les Arcs 1600 is free https://en.lesarcs.com/parkings/parkings-arc-1600.html.

(Though if you’re commuting from elsewhere you’ll likely park at the bottom and come up the funi)

If you’re staying at the Roc Belle Face by the mont Blanc lift, there are usually a few spots on the side road to the fire brigade place (right just after you leave 1600 on the way up to 2000), which is easier for loading/unloading the car.

You can leave your car there all week in either place.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Jonpim, I used that car park (Jean Blanc) once when I did a day trip over from Champagny a looong time ago. I've only stayed in La Praz once and I remember it being a really nice town but parking not necessarily the easiest for parking (again a long time ago and was transferred in. When we stayed in La Tania we managed to find a road spot very close to the apartment block but not sure of the coming in for a day situation.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
La Tania has free car parks. As does Meribel Les allues. The Meribel
One seems closest to the lifts. The La Tania one I guess about 200m walk

Tbh nothing is more than 200m walk in la tania!! That’s why we like it. Lazy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Austria
Just about most lift stations
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Lucywuk, there are two in La Tania. La Saz is right next to the red piste and you can ski to the gondola.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Raceplate wrote:
@Lucywuk, there are two in La Tania. La Saz is right next to the red piste and you can ski to the gondola.

I’ll check it out thanks. We might be using it on Saturday. I am sure I saw it last time I was here. Is it nearer the ‘chalet’ area. Rather than behind the village
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Considering paid parking/car parks seem to be a national sport in Andorra, most of the parking is free at the ski areas.

The only places to pay (I think) are… Soldeu (although you can get it free with a season pass, not sure about a day pass), Funicamp (only €5 a day though) and La Massana (€8 a day with a ski pass 8am-5pm - but then a silly amount if you go beyond 5pm).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lucywuk wrote:
Raceplate wrote:

I’ll check it out thanks. We might be using it on Saturday. I am sure I saw it last time I was here. Is it nearer the ‘chalet’ area. Rather than behind the village

Yes, exactly. Take the turn off the main road towards the chalets and it is immediately on your right. I don't remember any official path but you can basically walk up and over any snowbank straight on to the bottom of the Moretta piste and ski to the gondola - it's only about 60m. Make the most of it - next year the construction starts to make it into apartment blocks!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Has this now happened? Haven’t been there since 2019 but v was planning to go this month….
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy