Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing with diabetes.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, I’m 62 & was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in July this year. I had been to the doctors as when I went skiing in February this year I was totally exhausted & tired all the time & I was shovelling energy bars, mars bars, energy tablets etc down my throat for fun but unbeknownst to me it was having the opposite effect & it was spiking my blood sugar levels which sapped all my energy. I have got my levels down to a acceptable level but would like to know from any other diabetics on here what they eat through the day whilst skiing to give the extra boost without it affecting the blood sugar levels ?
I’ve booked to go skiing at the end of January so any information would be greatly appreciated Eh oh! Eh oh!
Thank you.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm T1 and like Gerblé bars for carbohydrate when I'm low, or Glucogel. Otherwise I don't usually snack. I have breakfast, lunch is a sandwich or similar, some fruit and black coffee breaks along the way if I'm tired.

The exercise may help keep your BG down - I presume you have a meter? You should consider counting carbs, at least until you're familiar with different foods, so you know how much you're consuming - did your hospital discuss this?

As a T2, consider lower-carb, higher fat food to keep your BG down. You'll have to experiment to find out what works for you as we're all different, but many diabetics find a low-carb, higher fat diet has helped stabilise BG. It works for me. Wholegrains, pulses, a variety of non-starchy vegetables and fruits will all help.

I'd try to avoid snacking on carbs, eat when you're hungry, have a decent breakfast, something that will last, rather than cereal, toast, marmalade and orange juice which will burn quickly and probably spike your BG. Then lunch.

The snacks you mention are all high in refined carbohydrate, so not necessarily healthy even for non-diabetics, depending on how their metabolism responds.

Whole raw nuts, such as almonds, walnuts, peanuts are healthy and will give you energy without carbohydrate. 30g per day of almonds and walnuts are one of the few things that have been shown to reduce the risk of cardio-vascular disease. Trail mix but leave the dried fruit? Hard cheeses are also good, plenty in the local supermarkets. Good with tomatoes, an apple, pickles? and you'll have to decide what to put it on, if anything. Wholemeal breads will have a slower burn, but I do love baguettes! Unfortunately white bread spikes BG nearly as quickly as sugar.

I find that if my BG is up or declining slowly, I'm not hungry. These sorts of foods reduce the rapid swings in BG which can be damaging if your BG is high, or make you hungry if it falls too rapidly.

Breakfast, look for something that is slowly absorbed, such as unsweetened muesli with nuts and seeds or porridge and full-fat plain yoghurt and/or whole milk. Or add in some plain full-fat yoghurt to slow whatever else you're having. Eggs and hard cheeses are healthy and zero carbs.

You might find https://www.diabetes.co.uk/ helpful, lots of friendly advice there on diet et al.

Hope that helps

J
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have a look at some of the groundbreaking approach by this Doctor.https://www.lowcarbprogram.com/articles/dr-david-unwin-low-carb-diet-sheet
I have no connection or financial arrangements with him but he seems to be making some interesting inroads into managing type 2 diabetes.
Please ensure that if you pursue any “ self treatments” you check your GP is happy as I am a knee surgeon and this isn’t my specialty field
Jonathan Bell
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you very much Jonathan. I bet you treat plenty of skiers being a knee surgeon Eh oh! Eh oh!
Kind regards
Robert
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

what they eat through the day whilst skiing to give the extra boost

What sort of "extra boost" do you envisage needing? If you have a good breakfast, with "slow burning" carbs and some protein, you shouldn't need any more calories till lunch.

I have lots of experience with skiing with a type 1 diabetic, and the need to avoid hypos, but I don't know much about type 2 - are you taking any medication which could cause you to have hypos?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have been prescribed Metformin!! Based on all the info I have gathered & including what I have got from here, I am likely to start the day on Scot’s porridge oats followed by berries & full fat yoghurt. I will take a bag of nuts including almonds & a couple of boiled eggs. Lunch will be whatever I think is right from the menu & evening meal will probably be meat with either veg or salad. Research has shown that the no sugar red bull is a good energy boost as it has zero sugar & carbs !!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Research has shown that the no sugar red bull is a good energy boost as it has zero sugar & carbs !!

What research is that? A cup of coffee will do as well and contain fewer unpleasant chemicals.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It was my research, I’m not a coffee drinker. I was looking to see if there was anything available diabetic friendly & that came up a few times.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Red Bull is just giving you caffeine. But you have to imbibe a lot of even nastier stuff with it.... Tea has caffeine too. I find porridge is overrated as a breakfast to make you "feel full" all morning, because there's not a lot of oats in a bowl of cooked porridge. If you eat the oats raw with milk you'll eat twice as much and it'll keep you going longer. But they don't have to be "Scots" porridge oats. Own brands, without the man in the kilt, are much cheaper.... I find a slice of good home made bread with lots of fibre and seeds does just as well as porridge. I like porridge for a change, but with a sprinkle of salt and cream, which is not so good. wink Boiled eggs good - they are my "go to" if I need to lose some weight.

I guess you have to get accustomed to a very different diet, which is never easy. I would really struggle with a low carb diet. I can forego sugar with no big problem but I enjoy good bread, which is one of my staples.

Does Metformin lead to hypoglycaemia? Googling doesn't seem to suggest it does, which is good, because you can use up a lot of energy skiing and hypos are scary - you need to brief the people you ski with about the symptoms, if you are in danger of hypos.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

no sugar red bull is a good energy boost as it has zero sugar & carbs

hmm, how can something with no energy in it, be a good energy boost...?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
From what I understand Metformin is there to prevent hypos. Yeah I also enjoy bread but fortunately I do enjoy whole meal seed batch loaf but do ration it !! We love our homemade curries & I've had to modify things like replacing corn oil with olive oil & even reducing the amount of oil. The rest is just spices & now boiled eggs or chicken.
I throws me when recipes & books say full fat yoghurt & use butter not margarine as I’ve always gone the other way but I’m still learning !!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Eggs, cheese, apple, sausage. I ask all my patients to read “ your simple guide to reversing type 2 diabetes “ by prof Roy Taylor. He is the Don! It should be a temporary condition, for most people.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thank you, I will give that a read.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That book sounds like a good read. A physician I worked with in the Pacific, where type 2 diabetes is rife, also used to stress that it is reversible (unlike type 1). Some Pacific nations have the highest rates of diabetes in the world - almost all lifestyle related.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jonathan Bell wrote:
Have a look at some of the groundbreaking approach by this Doctor.https://www.lowcarbprogram.com/articles/dr-david-unwin-low-carb-diet-sheet
I have no connection or financial arrangements with him but he seems to be making some interesting inroads into managing type 2 diabetes.
Please ensure that if you pursue any “ self treatments” you check your GP is happy as I am a knee surgeon and this isn’t my specialty field
Jonathan Bell

Sounds very similar to Dr Mike Mosley’s “Blood sugar diet” where people have been able to reverse their diagnosis.

It would definitely be my first port of call if I were ever diagnosed with it!

Whilst that doesn’t answer the original question, I did do the blood sugar diet (without calorie restrictions), not because I was diagnosed as diabetic or even pre diabetic, but I heard Mosley talking about it on the radio, I needed to shift a few lbs and I liked the sound of it. It was very effective and I can honestly say I have never had so much energy as when I was doing it.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 10-12-22 10:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I guess the principles of diet being promoted in these books are good for most of us? With type 2, prevention is better than cure. I had blood taken for tests yesterday - will be looking carefully at my HBA1C result and comparing it to last year's. I'm not too self-indulgent with food, but could be better, like most of us. Sugar is the problem, really, most of the time, for most of us.
ski holidays
@pam w, absolutely. The Mosley book is essentially based around a Mediterranean way of eating. Lots of fresh vegetables, good sources of protein and healthy fats. Whilst cutting out starchy and refined carbs.
ski holidays
Wow, so much help from lots of people who certainly know their stuff !! Time for me to get busy on Google & look into the information you have all provided & put a plan together!! I will be avoiding sugar, carbs, starchy foods & base my future diets around this & again thank you all.
ski holidays
@rjgordon0, make sure, as @Jonathan Bell, says, that you consult your doctor with any change of your diet. Particularly if you plan to follow one of the diets above, as your meds will likely need to be altered, so the Dr needs to be involved regularly.
snow report
Thank you, I will.
snow conditions
Good understanding of carbohydrates is essential. There's a lot of rubbish about "carbs" on the internet. Carbohydrate is an essential part of the diet - not inherently evil as some would have you believe. Nutritionists recommend that between 45% and 60% of calories come from carbohydrates - but from complex carbs, not sugars! The typical Mediterranean diet contains plenty of carbs, whether pasta or couscous!

The problem of overweight is when people eat more calories than they use up. For overweight people it's important to reduce calories - and the healthiest way for most people to do that is by reducing or cutting out sugar. We all need fat in our diet too - but some fats, like some carbs, are healthier than others.

If your weight is right, and steady, you are eating the right number of calories. My weight is OK but in the last week it would have been healthier to get my calories from my home made bread, or pasta, than demolishing an entire pack of mince pies.....
latest report
Most cups of coffee contain more caffeine than a can of Red Bull - depends how strong you make it, obviously.
ski holidays
Given the absurd price of coffees in high street chains (which seem to be immune to the so-called "cost of living crisis", given how many people wander round with them, like talismans) Red Bull might be cheaper.
latest report
What’s with all that talk about coffee? OP said he’s not a coffee drinker!
snow report
rjgordon0 wrote:
Thank you very much Jonathan. I bet you treat plenty of skiers being a knee surgeon Eh oh! Eh oh!
Kind regards
Robert

I love skiing and love helping skiers
ski holidays
I must admit I do get confused regarding carbs as a couple of cook books my wife bought say they should be avoided but the other two books say they’re ok to eat !! I gather that they are ok in moderation but to avoid the more starchy ones !!
ski holidays
Quote:

I gather that they are ok in moderation but to avoid the more starchy ones !!

Opposite is true. You NEED carbs in your diet but avoid the sugary ones. What you need is complex carbohydrates because they are digested more slowly - sugars will cause blood sugar spikes. A type 1 diabetic with a hypo will sometimes need a "sugar boost" and, in extremis, intra-venous glucose. My OH always had glucose tablets in his pocket, especially when skiing, though generally his diabetes was well controlled except when he was ill (e.g. with a chest infection). But in your case, you shouldn't need a "sugar boost" and are better off avoiding sugar altogether, if that's not too much of a sacrifice. Read the book recommended by @Jonathan Bell and all will become clear. There really is a lot of misinformation and new age idiocy out there and many daft diets.
snow conditions
With regards meds as a rule you are alright with Metformin but everything else needs a bit more caution. Interestingly the “Newcastle diet” is very different from what we typically used to recommend. Maintenance is Mediterranean but initially it’s a calorie restriction diet which is pretty extreme as people tend to find longer term changes harder without a lot of benefits up front.

The highest rates of type 2 diabetes are in an indigenous population in the USA. Prior to being forced onto a reservation and fed a load of junk they had almost zero. So although your genetics are undoubtedly somewhat to blame your environment is even more!

I am a GP and I’d say about 50 percent of my patients manage to get off meds if they try to.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank you, I intend to get off the Metformin as soon as my GP allows. My main goal is to a good balanced healthy diet that works well for my lifestyle & also fits in with my wife’s food likes & dislikes (I’ve just refused a bag of jelly tots lol) when I get my blood/sugar levels down to a acceptable level over a prolonged period of time I will hopefully feel a lot better.
One question I don’t seem to find the answers to is alcohol!!! I love nothing more than a few glasses of red wine, or a few pints followed by a few large JDs & Diet Coke !! Can anyone say what I can & can’t have. I don’t drink every day or night but I like a few at the weekend or on holiday.
Thanks again.
snow conditions
It's easy to check how much carbohydrate is in alcohol drinks. Generally dry red wine will be low in carbohydrate. Beers vary a lot but ordinary beers, especially drunk by the pint, are quite high, though you can get low carb beers. Obviously if you need to lose weight, alcohol isn't a great idea!
snow report
I've had gestational diabetes in the past and been on metformin. So similar but not exactly the same.

Regarding alcohol, limiting it is best. I found wine and beer to be a no go. A clear spirit with zero sugar mixer worked better, in moderation.

You shouldn't need to snack, if you eat slow release meals. When not skiing I tried to have 5 smaller meals a day, to keep my BG stable. Eggs are your friend. And nuts. Also food pairing worked reasonably well. Pair a carb with a high fat food to flatten the BG spike. So toast alone, nope, but granary toast with peanut butter, OK. Apple alone, nope, but paired with some hard cheese, OK. Berries were the best fruit I found, paired with full fat greek yogurt. If you need something sweet, one square of dark chocolate is OK.

I did a spike test 1 hour after food, to check how I was reacting to different foods, until I got a handle on things.

If in the mountains, tartiflette should be ok as although made with potato's, the dairy mixed in pairs it nicely. I found I wasn't able to tolerate much pasta, potato was OK and rice was best. Oats didn't really work for me, as gestational diabetes is worse in the mornings.
latest report
Quote:

food pairing worked reasonably well

Good points. Some people got a very shaky grasp of the concept of a "glycaemic index" and some people who needed to lose weight managed to convince themselves that, for example, potatoes roasted in goose fat were better for them than plain boiled potatoes because the GI was "better". Obviously alcohol is contra-indicated in pregnancy but for non-pregnant diabetics a glass of red wine should be fine.

Many people with type 2 diabetes are overweight and it can be confusing sorting out what's "good for" weight loss, compared to what's "good for" maintaining stable blood sugars. There's a lot of overlap (sugar's not good for anybody except a type 1 diabetic going hypo) but there are also important differences and the blanket demonising of "carbs" is unhelpful.
latest report
Mrs t_m has been T1 for many years and relies on a few bits of tech to do her ski teacher job.

Freestyle Libre for BG monitoring, linked to a Nightscout site to distribute the data, which can then be displayed on an inexpensive watch like a Fitbit, and can be 'followed' by any device with a web browser.

Disposable, all-in-one insulin pump, Omnipod. Lasts 3 days, controlled by a mobile phone type controller.

All works well.
snow conditions
@telford_mike, my Mrs uses libre with a Bluetooth transmitter on top, android APS linked to a pump (can't remember what make). Works great. She had a general anaesthetic for 2 hrs last week and they just let it run.
snow conditions
@MorningGory, wow, so a 'loop'. Amazing what can be done today using off the shelf stuff. 10 years ago there was nothing like this.
ski holidays
@telford_mike, yep. Her consultant loves it, especially as he can look at her levels and history remotely.
snow report
Not diabetic personally but my brother is T1

Beware about avoiding sugar, not the sugar itself, but the artificial alternatives, I was guzzling "no added sugar (but we filled it with other sweet chemicals)" drinks by the gallon & feeling v depressed and lethargic. Then I saw a "you are what you eat" type of program & the doctor was saying the artificial sweeteners would cause depression & lethargy, so I stopped any artificial sweeteners & noticed an immediate improvement.
For rehydration, I drink water or a 25% real orange juice in mineral water mix, <3% sugar & far more enjoyable than the likes of Fanta etc. Old, full sugar Fanta was about 13% sugar, they have reduced the sugar now but replaced it with artificial sweeteners rolling eyes
Red bull is a bad idea, either full of sugar or artificial sweeteners, if you don't like coffee, just take a pro plus & a glass of water for a boost.

I always struggle with mid morning hunger at work and especially when skiing, cooked porridge is especially bad, very filling when eaten but quickly disperses to leave me feeling very hungry by 10am after an 8am breakfast.
I have found that raw jumbo porridge oats with fresh & dried fruit & cold milk or Yogurt keeps hunger at bay the longest, a/ the complex & starchy carbs take longer to hit the system than refined sugars, b/ the physical nature of the jumbo oats takes longer to swell up in the stomach, into a form where it can be digested (good idea to have a drink an hour or so after breakfast) helping to flatten out the sugar spike further and keep the stomach full for longer, c/ you can eat a lot more "dry" oats if eaten raw, rather than cooked, the amount of oats that I have raw at breakfast would normally be enough for 2-3 helpings of cooked porridge.
snow conditions
Quote:

cooked porridge is especially bad, very filling when eaten but quickly disperses to leave me feeling very hungry by 10am after an 8am breakfast.

so glad to read this - it's what I've always found! The amount of oats needed to make a good size bowl of porridge is tiny! It's a complete myth that porridge keeps you going all morning.
ski holidays
Thank you for all the reply’s with the vey informative responses !!
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

cooked porridge is especially bad, very filling when eaten but quickly disperses to leave me feeling very hungry by 10am after an 8am breakfast.

so glad to read this - it's what I've always found! The amount of oats needed to make a good size bowl of porridge is tiny! It's a complete myth that porridge keeps you going all morning.

I'd already read your post & felt the same way, I'm not alone!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy