Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Accident In Vail

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey all I have not been on this site for a very long time so ive forgotton how to post!!
If anybody sees this I am trying to find out if anybody has suffered from a Tibia and fibula break/fracture which very unfortunately I sustained on December 3rd 2022 whilst skiing in Vail.Colorado.
Unfortunately it is quite a bad break ive had the fixator put in and then had the rod and screws put in just above ankle.I am absolutely a skiing fanatic and obviously very scared that this is a ski ending accident.
Has anybody else had the misfortune to suffer this horrific injury and have you come back maybe teh following year and skied?
I am a very fit 57 year old who skis mostly off piste/double blacks...treble blacks and steepest runs i can find so I am an aggresive skier and now 5 weeks after the accident I have been to the gym virtually every day since I got out of the Hospital and although I am on crutches ive been doing absolutely loads of gym work on all other areas except the broke right ankle/leg.
Just wandering who has recovered from this and can ski again,I am truly devastated as this is my passion in life and to not be able to ski again would I fear destroy me mentally.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@slalomskiboy, 10 months ago my OH (similar age to you) suffered similar ankle injuries and a ruptured ACL in an accident. She's an instructor so needs to ski to work. Physiotherapy from early on, and gym from 3 months post-injury seem to have done the trick. She's working again this season and as a result of all the gym work has probably never been fitter. It takes time, and you’re going to miss this season, but if you stay with a good gym & physio programme, you'll be back next season. Good luck!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good evening, I'm very sorry that's happened. My partner had a tibia fibula fracture on the 17th February 2018 while skiing. He was a Fis skier at the time, 25 years old. He had 2 plates put in and really a lot of screws. Initially it took quite some time for the bones to consolidate. In August he spent a month in a rehabilitation center for athletes. He reskied the season after but wasn't able to enjoy it. He couldn't support pressure of the leg against the skiboot. He changed skiboots and skis for it all to be as easy as possible, to still be out on the snow that season. He skied about 6 weeks dec-april. In may 2019 the metal was removed and after, he had another similar length stay at the athlete rehabilitation center. The winter after that saw him get back to a high level of skiing, which included succeeding in his next instructor exam in an alpine country with high technical standards. He returned to Fis competitions occasionally, but always aims to perform better. He is capable of very good skiing today. He is training for a Eurotest giant slalom pass. The injury is in the past. I wish you a very good recovery and at the right time, following the advice and protocol of your team, a very good return to skiing. It sounds like you are very dedicated, doing all you can. Step by step, and you will be able to come back to your passion.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had the same thing and was able to get back to relatively high level of football and badminton but the muscle wastage is the worst thing on the leg immobilised. It’s like a chicken leg compared to the other one and takes a long time to build it back up.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A good friend suffered a similar break after an accident whilst snowboarding in hard ski touring boots (don't ask, not my idea). A clean snap of both bones at the height of the top of the boot.

Heli', ambulance, hospital, surgery, etc. Plates, screws, etc. Wheelchair, crutches, etc. Took a while (maybe 2 years) to get back to running, and what was critical was getting the metal work out once the bone was strong enough. From memory he mainly skied the following season, but was back on the board (in the hard boots) the season after. There was discomfort from boots until the metal was out.

So not a skiing ending injury.

Only extra note is that maybe 4 years later (by which point he had it all in his taillights he thought) he slipped off a path trail running in CH with a simple mis-step and snapped the leg again. Feedback and explanation from the hospital in CH was that the area of the first break was a big strong, sort of lumpy, area and that just below it was super puny in comparison, took the load, and crack.

He's now fully recovered from that one too (or so he reckons)!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
slalomskiboy wrote:
Hey all I have not been on this site for a very long time so ive forgotton how to post!!
If anybody sees this I am trying to find out if anybody has suffered from a Tibia and fibula break/fracture which very unfortunately I sustained on December 3rd 2022 whilst skiing in Vail.Colorado.
Unfortunately it is quite a bad break ive had the fixator put in and then had the rod and screws put in just above ankle.I am absolutely a skiing fanatic and obviously very scared that this is a ski ending accident.
Has anybody else had the misfortune to suffer this horrific injury and have you come back maybe teh following year and skied?
I am a very fit 57 year old who skis mostly off piste/double blacks...treble blacks and steepest runs i can find so I am an aggresive skier and now 5 weeks after the accident I have been to the gym virtually every day since I got out of the Hospital and although I am on crutches ive been doing absolutely loads of gym work on all other areas except the broke right ankle/leg.
Just wandering who has recovered from this and can ski again,I am truly devastated as this is my passion in life and to not be able to ski again would I fear destroy me mentally.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

First concern will be to get it to heal.
Whilst that is going on get your ankle and foot moving.
The scarring at the back of the tibia will cause the muscles there to also scar and potential tighten.
That will mean loss of ankle flexibility ( specifically dorsiflexion which is lifting to foot up)
I dont do this type of surgery anymore but have done a lot of it and i always got them onto intensive physio very early to get the ankle moving.
It would be remiss of me to not point out that you should ensure the surgeon in charge of your care is happy for you to do this.
Jonathan Bell
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@midgetbiker, oh my days that sounds horrific (injury number 1)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you very much for your advice I have been pretty good from day 1 ive kept ankle moving and continually toe moving and as much flexing as i can and so far ive got pretty good flex of the ankle
back and movement.
Im thinking of going into the hyperbaric chamber for some treatment but consulting with physio next week.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy