Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowboarding Vallee Blanche (Petit Envers)?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey all, I'm making the trek to Chamonix next month and some buddies want to hire a guide for the Petit Envers route of Vallee Blanche. I've heard this route is fine for snowboarders, but was wondering if anyone here can vouch. I'm a solidly advanced boarder -- comfortable on single/double black terrain in the Western US as long as there's decent coverage, plus some backcountry/touring experience. Appreciate it!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The main issue will be the long flat run-out. Take some poles!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you're experienced touring the route is fairly straightforward, no real need for a guide, as long as you can do crevasse rescue, but as Arno says has a long, flat , finish, generally don't see boarders doing it much.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Disaster on a board!!!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As above, not too challenging, but it's a big old schlepp along the flat lands for the last bit. If the snow is good enough you can boot track it up from the end and then ride down into Cham, otherwise its back down of the train.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I’ve done this on a board. Definitely take poles for the last bit. With poles it’s not that bad on a board and the last annoying bit is compensated by the fun top bit. I’d do it again. Great views and good fun on the top part. I’d still recommend a guide if you’re planning the non standard decent as they’ll know the optimal route and hazards.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OuatteDePhoque wrote:
As above, not too challenging, but it's a big old schlepp along the flat lands for the last bit. If the snow is good enough you can boot track it up from the end and then ride down into Cham, otherwise its back down of the train.

The snow is currently very good but the route to the boot pack would be a nightmare on a board. It was hard enough on skis and I am reasonably fit. Even getting to the steps up to the lift that takes you to the Montenvers train would be a massive schlep on a board. We did the Grand Envers yesterday (shorter pole than petit) and it was painful.

The VB experience is great until you hit the flat at the bottom. The receding glacier makes the exit increasingly painful whichever exit you take. Unfortunately on a board it is really painful
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dannyboy2233 wrote:
Hey all, I'm making the trek to Chamonix next month and some buddies want to hire a guide for the Petit Envers route of Vallee Blanche. I've heard this route is fine for snowboarders, but was wondering if anyone here can vouch. I'm a solidly advanced boarder -- comfortable on single/double black terrain in the Western US as long as there's decent coverage, plus some backcountry/touring experience. Appreciate it!
s

Bit more detail, I skied this route a while ago, its not to be compared with the normal VB route at all, it's much steeper. These variants are tricky, some of them are 40-45 degrees, the further left you go , the harder they get. Also, I presume you mean the Petit rogan variant, as per the Vamos guidebook. You cross a very crevassed area to do this, so beware. If you mean the Col du plan variant it was even steeper when I did it.
I don't use guides generally, so I would certainly have a harness on to do this, a rope in my bag, and an axe and crampons, but I see you are going with a guide so they will sort you out. I would imagine the bottom will be horrendous on a board at the moment, and taking your board off in crevassed areas is not a good idea. I don't know if these variants are okay at the moment, but the guides office will have info.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's a long time since I did the Vallee Blanche (close to twenty years Shocked ) but FWIW

We had a guide, pretty sure we took Petit Envers and all wore harnesses. I was a competent but not aggressive intermediate and I had no problems with the route. However we did have good fresh powder. I remember our group took a long high traverse left at the end of the ice walk where the majority of groups dropped straight down, then turned right and took a steep (wonderful!) untouched powder run to join the main route again. It's still one of my most memorable runs for the untracked powder and length of the descent.

We did pole out of the flat and yes it took ages and was a faff, but for me it was all part of the experience. I just took my time and punted along. But I don't know to what degree that route is different now as the glacier has receded.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Have you been to Chamonix yet, @dannyboy2233, and if so, did you do the Vallée Blanche?

I'm a boarder and went up Aiguille du Midi with my other half today as a pedestrian and then down to the Grotte de Glace in Montenvers and saw absolutely nothing in either section that made me think the middle bit could possibly make up for it. Especially in its current state. Even with 15cm of snow last night.

The top section looked tracked out and the bottom section pretty sketchy. Oh and a guide we spoke to (who was doing it with her Mum) said she saw three people being helicoptered out, one of which with a broken leg.

I'm starting to think the whole VB thing is somewhat over-exaggerated in order to encourage people to part with vast sums of money for what appears to be actually pretty limited downhill off-piste skiing. And I don't think I'm just being bitter because I won't ever get to do it.

I'll have to try and seek out a YouTube video of someone doing it I guess to challenge my assumption.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@jebroni3_16, In my eighth season in Chamonix. Along with my friends I have done the VB more ways than I can really remember in good and not so good conditions.

Not been near it this year. For a week or so after the fresh snow at the end of January it might have been worthwhile.

At the moment you could not pay me to do it. Much better pleasure to be had elsewhere (even in these tricky conditions)

Save it for a time with good snow and much deeper cover, especially at the bottom.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jebroni3_16 wrote:
I'm starting to think the whole VB thing is somewhat over-exaggerated in order to encourage people to part with vast sums of money for what appears to be actually pretty limited downhill off-piste skiing. And I don't think I'm just being bitter because I won't ever get to do it.

I've skied it a couple of times in 30 something years I've lived relatively locally - so you can see I'm not exactly chomping at the bit!

But I'm going to praise it. It is a high mountain ski route among some legendary peaks so if you are interested in the cradle of alpinism it is worthwhile. It is difficult to ski something similar lift served, it is far more accessible to skiers than la Grave, for example.

Given that there isn't much similar in the world I'd say it is worth doing. On skis the pole out is okay but getting up to the Montenvers train is a real schlepp now. When I first did it you came off the glacier almost into the woods and skied down, in the right conditions.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@HammondR and @davidof - thanks for the balanced and non-confrontational replies (because I wasn't entirely sure that's what I'd get ).

Between you, you've managed to semi-confirm my thoughts that I'm really not missing anything by not currently doing it, whilst clarifying why others do.

I really hope that those who are spending the money currently are getting the experience they hope for, but to hear it described as "nice", to see the looks on the faces of some of those schlepping up from the Grotte de Glace and how tracked out what little was visible from the Aiguille was, I have my doubts sadly.

Now, ski-touring between Italian refugios... that's one thing this boarder can definitely see the appeal of and feel envious about!

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 7-03-23 19:33; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@jebroni3_16, "Now, ski-touring between Italian refugios... that's one thing this boarder can definitely see the appeal of and feel envious about!"

Now you're talking.
ski holidays
So I'll be in Cham next week (arriving on Saturday) and have been thinking about hiring a guide to do it with a friend (both snowboarders) next Tuesday.

Between now and next Tuesday, there has been 1.5m or so fresh snow forecast. Is the end section really that bad? How long (minutes) does the flat section take? I imagine that much snow should mean coverage will be decent? I'm now thinking however that maybe the guide should just take us to various off piste around the resort rather than VB, but it's been on my list for a little while so would like to do it if it's not going to be terrible at the end?
latest report
Don’t think you’ll be doing it next Tuesday with the amount of snow and wind forecast! You need stable conditions and good visibility to ride high Alpine terrain like the VB, neither of which are likely next week
ski holidays
When i did it 20 &30 years ago, the flat section was quite doable on a board, if it was well waxed (and it wasn't spring snow).
ski holidays
Valley Blanch is always worth doing if your guide agrees.

A guide is not that expensive.

So what if you have a bit of a walk through the end bit. It’s a choice between a flat icey board or a stroll through an amazing valley floor.

Bring your lunch!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy