Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Re-fractured Fibula Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

At the start of August I fractured my fibula playing football. The break was a decent height above my ankle (a touch above the lower upper buckle on my ski boot) so recovery was fairly quick. Fracture clinic discharged me immediately and told me no sport for a month or two. I asked about skiing in Jan and the doctor laughed at me.

Fast forward to this week, had been skiing with no pain for three days. Until I was on an easy run in flat light, I hit a mound of snow at a slightly awkward angle and felt a pop in my boot. I was carted down the hill and taken to the medical centre before being told the fracture had reopened in the same place.

My French is awful, and the doctors English limited but he suggested it was a boot top fracture. I don't see how this could be the case, as the fracture is very far down from where the boot cuff would apply pressure.

Obviously, I'm done for the season, but I'm a bit concerned with how easily the second fracture occurred. I didn't even fall over. I have a follow-up in the UK soon but I know they will just tell me the same advice as before. Does anyone have any advice for ensuring that I recover fully this time? Physio or paying for a follow-up 6 month x-ray?

TIA
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@slipperytom, Your doctor was clearly not a skier – I was back on skis 6.5 weeks after a fib break. I was told to be careful, which I (mostly) was, and it hurt too much to do anything too gnarly anyway, but I skied the rest of the season without any issues. It was maybe a bit lower down, perhaps 1.5 cm above the joint. They said 6 months to heal fully, which works out for you as well – I don't think you've done anything reckless here (caveat: I am not a doctor).

Are you sure it was the same place, and not a new fracture? From what you've said, it sounds like it's higher up this time. Have you seen the x-rays yourself?

You should have physio, but this is usually more about getting full range of motion back after being immobilised in a cast (are you in a fixed cast?), though obviously you can discuss the issue with them. Is it possible that you have a bone density issue, or something else that makes you more prone to breakages? That you managed a fracture without falling is concerning, though I don't know how fast you were going or if maybe you just twisted in an awkward way. Either way, I'd still take this over a popped knee!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Scarlet, thanks for the reply.

That was my thinking too, it should have been long enough.

I have the x-rays with me. You can see the callus where the bone has healed previously and then a crack straight through it.

For neither break have I been immobilised. The first break I was put in a cast by A&E and then the fracture clinic removed it a week later and told me to walk as pain allows. This time it has been much of the same, the French doctor even asked if I needed crutches. I am walking around the house slowly now five days after. Consequently, have no obvious issues with mobility, even now.

I will press harder at my UK follow-up as it did seem fairly innocuous to cause a break.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
I have the x-rays with me. You can see the callus where the bone has healed previously and then a crack straight through it.

Fair enough. I misunderstood what you meant.

Interesting to see a different approach from the clinic – I was told to keep off it for 4 weeks, and given crutches and some anti-coagulants, because they were concerned that it would open up again before it had healed. The consequence was that ROM was pretty bad afterwards. I doubt that has made much difference long term though.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
slipperytom wrote:
I'm a bit concerned with how easily the second fracture occurred. I didn't even fall over. I have a follow-up in the UK soon but I know they will just tell me the same advice as before. Does anyone have any advice for ensuring that I recover fully this time? Physio or paying for a follow-up 6 month x-ray?

Hmmm… You “know” the doctor will “just tell you the same advice before”. But you think some random peep from the internet will give you some “advice” better than the doctor? Puzzled
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy