Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2023/2024 (Dec 1 - April 21)

Poster: A snowHead
@Langerzug, Yep, and not even talking English. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I guess I'm just used to French resorts where the patrol are visible in a way I didn't notice this weekend. Conspicuous backpacks and a bright, branded jacket. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention.
As for the 100 Austrians, well I exaggerate a bit!
One thing I did notice and liked, was the fact that every single piste marker with a roundel on it has the emergency phone number printed on the back.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is it snowing already?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We have had some dust since yesterday ..its still snowing .. Just a few cms .. The Big snow from this storm was in the Southern Alps and hit the Sud Tirol

Naserereinbahn has been Closed ..everthing else is Open skiing whiteout blind Very Happy Very Happy

Weather will improve (Sunny) tomorrow until Sunday then the next storm will roll in hopefully on Monday..
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks, thought it was snowing more as they forecasted an reported about 20cm or more. Depending on the sources
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Worst Arlberg Winter for flat light I've known.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A reasonable amount fell in St Anton yesterday, about 8cm in the town (a lot of sleet at first) and probably double that up the slopes. Skiing is OK up the mountains but some of the lower busy runs get very cut up in the afternoon.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Recommendations please? Where to spend 3 hours on Saturday morning in StAnton , before catching the 1pm train to Zurich Airport?

We're kicked out of the B&B at 10am, so have approx 3 hours to chillax before the train. But there seem to be almost no cafes in town that open that early. Can a local give us some hints?

Cheers!
Tony /TT
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ski 9-1pm??
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Tomahawk Tone, get an earlier train and chillax in the excellent Zurich airport?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Apres ski to....oh, I dunno 3am......and you'll just want to sleep it off at the station
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just over a week to go before we hit the heady heights of St Christoph. Thanks to some really helpful input already from you good people I’ve got a rough plan for our mixed level group, but have a couple of questions for the experts again.
Is Sonnenkopf worth a morning/day warm up session? Assume it’s a quick bus ride from St C.
I’m a sucker for a ‘route’. I also have a wing lady. Is the Run of Fame a gimmick or a blast and which direction is best? How long do I need to allow? Both myself and WL are competent and steady.
According to the scientists at Snow-Forecast there’s more of the fluffy stuff on the way next week which will be nice.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Blanch1962, No direct bus to Sonnenkopf from St Christoph, probably easiest is ski to Stuben and get bus from there. Snow Forecast notoriously inaccurate but yes some snow seems to be on way. Weather thread here more useful.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank you again.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Blanch1962, You can't do the RoF in 'both directions'. You'll be on the 'north route'. The South route starts in Warth. It's not like the sella ronda.

That said, I suggest the White Ring might be a better option if you're 'steady'
snow conditions
Just a quick update...

Forgot to mention that Steißbachtal (Happy Valley) has been closed again since last week ..

This morning Strong Souther Föhn winds ...up on Rendl now currently gustig over 54kmph will get upto 100kmph

Hence Rendl is currently Closed (Sunday 10 March)

Higher Lifts also Closed in the Region..
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

The much anticipated snow for tomorrow is unlikely to happen .... just a dusting but that is not unusual here ..dust falls reguarly during the night ...

We might get some snow on Wednesday night...

Thursday onwards, Sourherly airflow a strong sign of spring arriving !!!

For me it not worth reporting new snow unless its at least 30cm .. Very Happy Very Happy

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________-

Apres Ski Huts Closing dates

Following recent trends March 30/1th will be the lastday of the season. for some of the Huts

Heustadl
KK

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yesterday Incdents (Saturday 9th March)

There was a serious accident on the lower "Moosweg"

A German citizen somehow fell into the Steissbachtobel and nearly drowned.

He suffered a serious head injury in his fall and had to be rescued by the mountain rescue team

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Avalanche

Four mountain rescuers in St. Anton am Arlberg!

During a joint tour on Saturday, a 21-year-old suddenly triggered an avalanche. The young man was lucky and was not buried. However, he had to be taken to hospital with injuries.

The four friends started from the Rendl ski area in the direction of the Darmstädter Hütte and on towards the eastern saddle of the Scheibler. From there, the group set off in a northerly direction. "After just a few turns, a 21-year-old Austrian triggered a slab avalanche about 150 meters wide, which swept him away for about 200 meters," the police said.

Recovered by police helicopter When the avalanche stopped, the local man was on the surface of the snow and was therefore not buried. However, he sustained significant injuries. His three friends were not affected by the avalanche and immediately made an emergency call. The 21-year-old was rescued by the police helicopter and flown to the valley. The three uninjured mountain rescuers were able to descend into the valley on their own.
snow report
@stanton, Steissbachtal looked to be dangerously overcrowded last weekend I think it was narrower than "normal", saw someone choppered out on string, perhaps because of this Kandahar was pleasant. Sure all this will rekindle the discussion about the St Christoph / Maiensee piste.

Presumably the fall into the bach was related to a visit to the Mooserwirt? Best get a taxi home even if not on skis.

Was grumpy that couldnt go this weekend but looking at the piste map & webcams probably a good thing. Buses to Zürs will be packed.
snow report
Hi,
We are traveling to St Anton on Wednesay from Zurich. I've bought the tickets online but how can I make the seat reservation on the train online?

Thanks?
ski holidays
@pred02, go to https://www.oebb.at/en/ and fill in your timings and click “book ticket”. On the next page where it says “select services” you can pick “seat reservation only”.
snow report
Quote:

@pred02, go to https://www.oebb.at/en/ and fill in your timings and click “book ticket”. On the next page where it says “select services” you can pick “seat reservation only”.

Thank you. What are ski conditions like? Is it still proper hardshell again elements or spring skiing (softshell)? Thanks
ski holidays
munich_irish wrote:
@stanton, Steissbachtal looked to be dangerously overcrowded last weekend I think it was narrower than "normal", saw someone choppered out on string, perhaps because of this Kandahar was pleasant. Sure all this will rekindle the discussion about the St Christoph / Maiensee piste.

Yeah when we were there a few weeks back the last part of happy valley was very narrow and seriously crowded, bad enough for people who know the run and have some experience but if a new visitor saw the blue slope and thought it would be easy to get back to town they would get a surprise. After dealing with that you then have run 50 and it's soft moguls which wasn't much nicer.
ski holidays
Question. First time in Lech. Interactive map this morning has 215 (Langerzug) open and 216 (Tannegg) closed. Is it still possible to do 215 and get out at the bottom?
ski holidays
@Armonkiwi, The piste map is confusing in this instance. If the Schafalp drag lift is open (and the map indicates it is) Langerzug will be open as the only ways down from the top of the lift are Langerzug and Tannegg. Tannegg is a steep gnarly ski route very much in the experts only category and often closed as it needs very good natural snow. Officially the run down to the drag lift (which is basically a red piste) is part of Tannegg hence that shows as closed too. If concerned ask the staff at Rufikopf top station.
snow conditions
Thanks for the quick response. Will see how the weather cooperates re when we do it. My daughter is a great boarder but getting frustrated with ski route flats (though 173 into Lech yesterday was fine). Is the run out mostly downhill like 173? Or more like 177?!
snow report
@Armonkiwi, Langerzug indeed has a very long flat part at the end, similar to 177.
She will also have to avoid the no 144 in Zürs for similar reasons, one of the greatest runs in the Alps...
latest report
Langerzug wrote:
144 in Zürs - one of the greatest runs in the Alps...

http://youtube.com/v/ahL8Nb5vz14
snow report
You cant miss out on Täli because of the end part, certainly on skis no issue to build up enough speed to get to the end without stress or skating, it is one of the highlights of the area and one of the great runs in the alps. If you are into geography the water from the snow at the top part ends up in the North Sea whilst that at the bottom ends up in the Black Sea. Zügertobel is a pleasant enough run but more like a walking path than a ski route, no issue to give it a miss!
snow report
@munich_irish, snowboarding has its limitations. The end of Täli indeed is fine for us skiers, not for boarders though.
Zugertobel is nothing special as a route/piste. But the scenery…. Ohlala. And -especially now in spring- often chamois and ibex on the steep sunny right hand slopes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I had no problems on 144 in Jan (or the run into Lech), or any previous time on it, just a matter of speed and timing to avoid those on skis on the last steep corner to get sufficient momentum to get to the road. Keep to the left on the flat section and pump the bumps.

However if it's slushy or powdery, perhaps wait for more optimal conditions
snow conditions
Yes 144 is a great cruising run, few skiers, spectacular surroundings. But it does only lead back down to the Zurs car park.
Some years ago, after a good dump of powder, I went left at the top of the Steinmahder chair, skiing across to the Zuger Horn, then down to the gulley of Tobel.
Probably the most exhilarating powder I have skied, not steep challenging, but knee deep powder and no other skiers apart from my fellow skier.
There was a pole out to Zug at the end though.
ski holidays
If you were not skiing the POW Very Happy Very Happy on Rendl North Face today ...the question is why are you in St Anton ?... Very Happy Very Happy

Stop the Brutal Grooming !
latest report
Langerzug wrote:
@Armonkiwi, Langerzug indeed has a very long flat part at the end, similar to 177.
She will also have to avoid the no 144 in Zürs for similar reasons, one of the greatest runs in the Alps...

Haha, she did better than me at the bottom of 144. I had to use the poles a couple of times towards the end. She made it easily.
snow report
stanton wrote:
If you were not skiing the POW Very Happy Very Happy on Rendl North Face today ...the question is why are you in St Anton ?... Very Happy Very Happy

Stop the Brutal Grooming !

Over in the Warth area today. POW not great - too wet and heavy.
snow conditions
Really accumulated a lot of knowledge over the past couple of weeks reading this year’s and last year’s forums and it’s all been extremely helpful the last 5 days. So thank you all.

One more question. Two days ago, on the way back from St Anton to Lech, we came down 134 from the top of Trittkopf to Zurs. Then had to walk through town from the bottom of Trittkopfbahn to the Zürserseebahn quad. Is there an easier way to do it (or get to the bottom of Seekopfbahn)? End of a long day and would have been really nice to go across the bridge on the magic carpet rather than scramble up the snow from the footpath!!
ski holidays
@Armonkiwi, yep, at the bottom of Trittkopfbahn you'll also find the short Übungshangbahn 6-seater. After that you can easily traverse above the village towards the two skiers-bridges of either Zürserseebahn or Seekopfbahn. (last is best)
ski holidays
Langerzug wrote:
@Armonkiwi, yep, at the bottom of Trittkopfbahn you'll also find the short Übungshangbahn 6-seater. After that you can easily traverse above the village towards the two skiers-bridges of either Zürserseebahn or Seekopfbahn. (last is best)

Thanks! I had meant to say “without another lift” but answer is the same either way!
latest report
@Armonkiwi, There is a ski route that cuts across from Trittkopf to the runs that come down from Hexenboden (dont ask me the numbers!), this leads down to both of the chairs up to Zürser See no need for another lift. No idea if open currently or if suitable for snowboarders!
ski holidays
@munich_irish, I think you are referring to 136.
Short and wide, decent gradient not that steep but with moderate sized icy moguls every time I was there

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 14-03-24 12:42; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@drporat, long time since I have been up Trittkopf (not since the new lift was built) so only have vague memory of taking a ski route across, dont remember any icy lumps but could just have been better than average conditions, nothing too difficult though.
snow conditions
Sunny Sunday Morning ..around -2C up on Galzig

tomorrow and Tuesday Snow above 1800M
rain in town ..
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy