Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2023/2024 (Dec 1 - April 21)

Poster: A snowHead
Today..

Alternative activities recomended..

Raining hard folks

A lot of Folks still hungover from St Anton's legendry St Paticks Day Partys
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All change again today after a very Sunny Wednesday..

Rain today ..strong winds

Towards the weekend it will be turning colder with rain and some snow up higher ..
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Does the Mooserwirt stays open till mid April as on their website?
I remember someone here mentioning otherwise
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@drporat, yes it does
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@red 27, many thanks
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
March 24

Whats is better than Sunday morning POW Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Im predicting some great days as we close out the tourist season and then into late April/May...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi all. I'm thinking of heading out to St Anton for a few days of Snowboarding starting Weds 27 March. How are the conditions out there? Ta.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Perfect Spring Ski Conditions...

It remains below freezing above 2000Metres

4.2 Metres Snow Depth at Ulmer Hutte

98% of 85 Lifts Operating

85% of Official Slopes out of 302 Km

Off Piste take your line Very Happy

This afternoon is Perfect Terrace Weather.....

_______________________________________________________________________________________________-

A Bit if old news ...happened on Sunday 17 March..

A 63yr American skier who disappeared in St. Anton was located after hours of searching in the municipal area of Kaisers in the district of Reutte.

Around 7 p.m., the officers were able to briefly establish telephone contact. The man stated that he was descending on ski route 90 (Mattunjoch) to St. Anton.

The Alpine police and members of the St. Anton mountain rescue team then went in search of the missing man. With the support of the drone of the Landeck fire department, the emergency services searched the said route, but did not find anything.

A mobile phone bearing (location) was finally successful: the skier could be located in the opposite ""Almajurtal"", a side valley of the Lechtal.

He had mistakenly descended from the lift to the north into the free ski area instead of south/south-east.

In poor visibility this is possible if unfamiliar with the area. In the darkness he finally ended up in the Außerfern Shocked Shocked

Since the weather conditions did not allow a rescue from the St. Anton ski area, the Steeg mountain rescue service was alerted.

When the rain subsided, the mountain rescuers from the Außerfern climbed into the Almajur Valley and finally found the man around 02:00 below the Bodenalpe (1540 m).

The man was exhausted but unharmed. The mountain rescuers brought the tourist to Steeg, from where he took the bus back to St. Anton in the morning

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

That is a long bus ride (few bus changes) takes about 5-6hours Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Arlberg Ski Pass is valid in Lechtal but the season is already finsihed over there ....
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@stanton, A few times I have looked down that valley and wondered how you get home again! It is a very long bus ride especially in winter with the Hahntennjoch closed
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@stanton, lucky man, thanks for sharing that "old new", but very interesting to read.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@The Snaw, conditions today were amazing 10/10
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Very quiet in the valley on the slopes.... The Easter Weekenders will arrive tonight but it is not a sell out by any means which is strange as we have the best Ski Conditions in the Western Alps

Fresh snow (dusting) last night down to 1800Metres ... It remains belowe freezing up on the hill today -

Weather southerly Föhn again ...expect red sand blasted slopes tomorrow from the Sahara...

Next few days varaiable temperature sun & clouds ...

Tommorow is a religious "Quiet" Day so any Live music which was scheduled for tomorrow is being done today ....

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________-

Arlbergtunnel is closed again this summer from 15. April until November.

https://www.oeamtc.at/news/vorarlberg/arlbergtunnel-s16-sperre-ab-15-april-24269240
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was somewhat grumpy that I couldnt make it this weekend but looking at the weather forecast and then the list of closed lifts today as a result of the forecast Föhn storm thought it was probably for the best. Been out on the bike for the first proper ride of the year, t shirt & shorts weather, not the same as sliding about on snow but better than fighting over what little open terrain there is available. Maybe the weather forecast has put folk off visiting?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very Warm lat night in St Anton ... This morning at the Rendlbahn it is +10C

Sahara Storm blew in over most of Austria ..

Stormy weather inbound for Monday befre that we get a strong Föhn

https://www.heute.at/s/unwetter-warnung-fuer-mehrere-bundeslaender-ausgerufen-120028263
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've enjoyed reading this thread, getting lots of hints, tips, and information. As a result, I've decided to treat myself, and have booked a solo trip for next February, based in Lech.
ski holidays
We have been in Lech this past week and we’ve had a variety of conditions and temperatures.

Yesterday and today have been very warm and the colder and snowy winter wonderland of Thursday has rapidly changed to spring melt.

Bar the slush you’d expect, the pistes been in great condition.
snow conditions
Southerly Stau is not our Friend again on Easter Sunday...

Stormy wind closing the Rendl'Albona and all the Higher Lifts .. in St Anton and Lech

Rain is expected today

Lastnight Fresh snow was dusted on pistes above 2200metrs

Easter Monday looks likely to be a repeat of today...
snow conditions
After a very windy and rainy weekend with limited lift operations

Today ..Tuesday morning we have some fresh dust on the hill....and its snowing this morning...

Its going a be cloudy and suny ( variable ) this week but getting alot warmer ..

TanzCafe starts this week and run for 2 weeks.. Live music all over the area..

https://www.tanzcafe-arlberg.com/de

Trains

This weekend there are no trains bewtween Landeck and Bludenz...

A Bus replacement serice will connect with trains (landeck and Bludenz) operate to pick and drop off in St Anton .and Langam . Wiill take extra ttime ....

Check timetables ..

Many Hotels have closed up for the sesson..some already one week ago ..

Big closing oarty this weekend to see off the old KK with 80's theme on Saturday ...
latest report
Heard Easter was quiet.
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
Heard Easter was quiet.

Queiter the better ..they say..

Next season as Easter is very Late ... everywhere will be closed end of March....

Expect sigificant price hikes (to make up for late season losses) for main season 24/25 as poeople abstain/avoid in April.. ..

If folks want to party/restaurants etc it would be better to book Ischgl ....

For just Skiing then Arlberg is stil the place to be...
ski holidays
4 of us are due to fly out on Saturday for a week and looking at the forecasted temperatures I’m wondering if it’ll be worth it!! Does anyone have any advice?
ski holidays
@RedorDead, There are some crazy temperatures forecast for the weekend 27 degrees here in Munich though more like 20 / 22 in the mountains. Certainly I have already switched to the bike and sadly put away skiing kit. However there is a big base in the Arlberg (not as big as some seasons previously but more than most recent years) so the snow will still be there. The advice would be to start early and go high, dont plan on skiing past lunch but find a sunny terrace for beer. I think the ski passes will be cheaper next week.
snow report
@RedorDead, We've skied that area in April high temps, been fine, start early, follow the sun as it softens the snow, I've skied in super warm slush around 3pm where you drop to boot height if you step out of the skis but still had a great time!
snow conditions
@kitenski, I doubt you ever had the temps they are now forecasting.
22 degrees in Lech would even in August be considered hot.
latest report
@munich_irish, @kitenski, Thanks for your replies. I'm just worried about how much of the terrain will be open but I guess a bad day's skiing is better than a good day at work!!
snow conditions
@RedorDead, the vast majority will be open IMHO unless the wind gets up again, check here, just a few low, short beginner lifts shut currently

https://winter.intermaps.com/skiarlberg?lang=en

@Langerzug, once again you leap to conclusions without any facts, remember I was there, you were not! I was sat outside in shorts and T shirts, in the shade, at 6pm drinking beer.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 3-04-24 13:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@kitenski, no need to be so sensitive.
I have been coming to the Arlberg the last 30 years, summer, spring and winter. T-Shirts are not very remarkable in April, not even on a warm February day...
At 1500 meters altitude, 22 Degrees is considered heatwave-like, in August that is....You really need to check your facts.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 3-04-24 13:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Langerzug, no need to jump to conclusions just because you've been a few times! It was stupidly warm, I remember it well, people were talking on here about bringing walking boots and MTBs instead of skis.

you really need to check your facts, jumping in without any idea of the date is comical, but as expected with the I know best attitude.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 3-04-24 13:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kitenski, oh dear, walking boots and MTB in April. That's astonishing.... rolling eyes
The point is that 22 degrees is not just 'another' very warm day in early April as they indeed happen every season. 22 Degrees is spooky.
ski holidays
@Langerzug, once again your "I am always correct" attitude is very tiresome and also incorrect, 20 degrees in the Arlberg in April has happened before, no doubt it will happen again more and more.

latest report
25 degrees plus is by no means unusual in the mountains in summer, more common than it was 30 years ago but hardly unusual. Anyone who has slogged up to a hut in the July heat can vouch for how hot it gets! This weekend is indeed forecast to be unusually warm for this time of year but it is not the first time in recent years such temperatures have occurred in April. This time there is a plentiful snow base so skiing should be OK though no doubt some of the lifts will close before the final day.
latest report
@kitenski, Did you have 6 degrees at night? That's forecast. Harry Flashman clearly did not: At 6 degrees at night here will be no "icy in the mornings".....(and that's the essential part of good spring skiing). And 6 in the village means that there will only be frost at the peaks of Madloch and Muggengrat. And even there it is gonna be too little to firm things up.

@munich_irish, the skiing "OK" at 22 degrees? (and 6 at night) Come on! You're -again- howling with the wolves, and -again- it does not make sense. (by the way you yourself used the words "crazy temperatures....")

The conditions at Harry Flashman's time were "pretty poor". What's it gonna be coming weekend, boys?
snow report
@munich_irish, thanks for being with me in reality!
latest report
@kitenski, that's a rather watery reality....
snow report
@Langerzug, We put our ski gear away early February, sadly not seen anything since to entice us back out since, early season snow was great, very cold spell mid January and then it warmed and never cooled again for any sustained period after end January did it?
snow conditions
@Markymark29, That might be true for off piste but I was there was there a few weekends back and the piste / ski route conditions were good (same in February), not cold powder but some excellent piste skiing and no shortage of snow, pretty much everything was open. Subsequent weekends have been poor weather so not been back as had wanted to. In the past weeks there has been a lot of Föhn conditions, unusual to get that many such days, few of the "normal" days with a north westerly air flow. Converse of which has been huge amounts of precipitation south of the main ridge, such as when the bash got snowed in at Monte Rosa
ski holidays
@Markymark29, I think you're right. We were there in that cold and sunny week in January. Toofy Grin
After that it often was way too warm, whilst there was remarkable little sunshine. Same all over Europe I think. Just read the gloomy weather is related to El Niño, and will stay with Europe for some more weeks to come. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Langerzug wrote:
@Markymark29, I think you're right. We were there in that cold and sunny week in January. Toofy Grin
After that it often was way too warm, whilst there was remarkable little sunshine. Same all over Europe I think. Just read the gloomy weather is related to El Niño, and will stay with Europe for some more weeks to come. Evil or Very Mad

Yep, after mid Jan., when the conditions were very good, the weather became overcast frequently right through Feb, odd days apart. The worst winter I've had in St A by memory over 40 years. Flat light Winter.
snow report
@davidthornton, well honestly, even that cold sunny spell in January was not perfect, as it had been so warm and rainy in the period before that. Pistes were extremely hard, never encountered that before in 30 years of Arlberg.
latest report
30C Forecast for Innsbruck this Weekend !!!

Looking at 23C for the weekend up here in Arlberg ...

___________________________________________________________________________________________

This weeks Off Piste Action

Tuesday

In 18-year-old Belgian and a 15-year-old Austrian had gotten into an argument on the terrace of a restaurant in the early evening, which led to fist fight. The Belgium finally hit the younger man several times in the face with a beer glass, causing him several cuts.

The Belgian, in turn, suffered cuts on his hand, the police reported. Both were taken to Zams Hospital by ambulance.

Wednesday

A 25-year-old Norwegian fell about 50 meters into the rocky ravine and was fatally injured in the night to Wednesday in St. Anton am Arlberg (district of Landeck in Tyrol) after visiting an après-ski restaurant. (everyone knows which one) ...

Over the years this is not the first time people have ended up is taking there last skirun into the ravine..

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Reminder

No Trains in St Anton this weekend only bus replacement service

https://www.oebb.at/de/fahrplan/baustelleninformation/bauarbeiten-arlbergstrecke
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy