Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2023/2024 (Dec 1 - April 21)

Poster: A snowHead
Just come across this, no surprise, experienced it many a time!
https://www.instagram.com/p/C5WI57YL3Zu/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=embed_video_watch_again
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
davidthornton wrote:
Just come across this, no surprise, experienced it many a time!
https://www.instagram.com/p/C5WI57YL3Zu/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=embed_video_watch_again

Not sure when that was taken buz certainly not this week as there just is not that many people here..The town is empty...

Closimg down Partys all weekend

It really is Summer in St Anton hitting record beeaking temperaturs for time of year...

but come Wednesday temperature drop and
we will have snow again ...

Winter is noz over until its Over Very Happy

The Austrian Government has put out a warning to expect
summers in the future to be 44C not for a couple of days but ling sustained periods...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@davidthornton, @Ulmerhutte, posted a similar image a good few weeks ago. With Steissbachtal closed there is not much option though Osthang must be preferable if it is that crazy busy.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
An alternative route down to the village from Galzig/Village areas would be to put a lift in up to Gampen from the start of Steissbachtal.
I did hear, a year or two ago, a plan to put in a new piste, not sure how or where.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@davidthornton, There has been discussion of reinstating the Maiensee piste from St Christof (before my time, not sure if it was ever a "piste" more of what is now called a ski route) which would end up at the junction of the Osthang route and the blue piste from Zamermoos. I believe the lift company, tourist office etc are keen but issues with environmental regs make it difficult to implement, especially with requirements for snow canons etc. I guess in theory it would be possible to extend the Galzig piste but assume a non starter due to the damage it would do. I suppose a 3S type lift between Galzig & Gampen would be an option but the cost would be prohibitive for the benefit provided. Maybe someone can broker a deal with the landowner to sort putting in avalanche protection on the slopes of Schindlermähder, I am sure something could be designed that was both visually and environmentally acceptable.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A formal request has this week been done to create a new piste connecting Osthang with Zammermoos:

http://www.atelier-gstrein.at/referenzen.php

Likely this is about changing skiroute no 54 into a official piste.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Langerzug wrote:
A formal request has this week been done to create a new piste connecting Osthang with Zammermoos:

It would relieve some congestion, IMHO, but not significantly. It would be uncontroversial though. I think the majority of skiers on Steissbachtal are coming down from Ulmerhutte direction, so, like now, would have to ski over to Galzig and Kandahar piste. Also, it wouldn't solve the congestion on the narrow piste 50 on the Sennhutte/Heustadl section.
The long term solution is to 'syphon' off skiers away from Galzig/Kandahar/piste 50. Taking them over to Gampen the pistes there down to St.A. They would still be able to access bars Taps, KK, Griabli, Mooserwirt.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi all - new here so please don't bite too hard.

Just spending my Sunday night debating between St Anton and Mayrhofen for this coming weekend (12/13/14 April) and wanted some more expert opinion on a) the current conditions if anyone is out there and b) any recommendation between the two.

I will mostly be focused on the skiing, hence a bit concerned that snowbombing might mean Mayrhofen is more festival than ski, but also don't want to go somewhere that'll be completely dead and no apres. Never been this late in the year before so no idea what to expect, just want decent skiing and options for apres.

Any input much appreciated, cheers!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidthornton wrote:
Langerzug wrote:

It would relieve some congestion, IMHO, but not significantly. It would be uncontroversial though. I think the majority of skiers on Steissbachtal are coming down from Ulmerhutte direction, so, like now, would have to ski over to Galzig and Kandahar piste. Also, it wouldn't solve the congestion on the narrow piste 50 on the Sennhutte/Heustadl section.
The long term solution is to 'syphon' off skiers away from Galzig/Kandahar/piste 50. Taking them over to Gampen the pistes there down to St.A. They would still be able to access bars Taps, KK, Griabli, Mooserwirt.

My browser doesnt like the link for some reason but assume it would be changing the Osthang ski route under the lift into a piste. I can see it would make sense from a permission perspective as the trees have already been cleared for the lift pylons. Installing pipework & snow canons is not going to change much. However whilst it would provide another route back from Galzig surely it would end up as steep as Kandahar so would be just a pisted mogul run rather than an unpisted mogul run, no easier for those not keen on moguls. The piste between the Heustadl & Sennhutte can be avoided by taking the last bit of the Osthang ski route which is just a path no moguls and often more pleasant than dodging the crowds.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Santi19x, Apparently most of the apres spots are closing this weekend. If apres is a key issue then Ischgl might be better as in my experience pretty much everything stays open until the official closing day ie 1st May
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We dont want to se see or have Õsthang skiroute turnef into a Piste..

This is greatest showboat Deep Powder run in the resort Very Happy Very Happy

The easiest solution would be to cut a long gradual gradient cat track into Bachseite..
parrallel to Steißbachtal but 50-100M higher
But it would require bulldozing tons of the hill and an eyesore for years so this is unlikely ..

It was already 12C on Albona at 07:30 this morning..

Taps race tomorrow looking at a higher start point and finish at Taps .

Weiße Rausch on April 20th may have to have a modified route .

Snow

Lift company has been trucking snow from St Christoph to lower pistes in St Anton

Fot the avoidance of doubt there is still a serious amount of deep snowpak higher up being held back by the Avalanche steel breakers
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@stanton, Whilst I agree it would be a shame to lose the Osthang bumps (memories of standing at the bar of the Moose looking back at the run, its about the limit of my skiing abilities!), it would seem a better option than digging up Bachseite. Surely the environmental damage of building a track with water pipes, snow cannons etc would be far worse than avalanche protection on the other side? I assume a "piste" under the lift pylons would be a winding path to enable beginner's etc to easily get down to the chaos of the chopped up slope where the run from Zamermoos comes in . Hopefully it could be done in such a way to keep most of the existing mogul field a bit like the way the blue track crosses Fang above Nasserein.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@munich_irish, @stanton, are you the St.Anton-connoisseurs here? Obviously (for many reasons) this is not about the Osthang-route under the Galzigbahn..... rolling eyes
As I wrote, this is most likely about skiroute 54.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Langerzug, That would make more sense and then a "track" across Kandahar to the exit which goes down to the Mattunbahn but the ski route joins Kandahar a good way above the exit point so would involve creating some sort of cat track either on the right or left (Bachseite) of the current piste. I suspect the work could be done fairly quickly (assuming they can get a permit) so might even be there for next season. Link doesn't seem to work
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Langerzug wrote:
@munich_irish, @stanton, are you the St.Anton-connoisseurs here? Obviously (for many reasons) this is not about the Osthang-route under the Galzigbahn..... rolling eyes
As I wrote, this is most likely about skiroute 54.

A new Piste really is needed which is obvious enough but will a hybrid of the 54 Ski route deliver low enough on the mountain to be really that effective. The osthang route would be a better option but, as mentioned, probably too steep to be a genuine alternative for a lot of skiers. But I suppose with the seissbachtal not being available any alternative has to bee looked at.
latest report
@Langerzug,

Sorry i did not read the whole discussion .

but anyway Õsthang Ski Route is steeper than Kandahar so not a solution Very Happy Very Happy

i had to look up 54 i never know these numbers..

i really pray they do not ruin this either as it wil destroy "Zwissen"

The bottom line " New Piste is NOT NEEDED...

They should designate Steißbachtal .Matun as Free ski (at your own risk) and NOT officially part of the Ski Area ..No controls..Nothing Happy
Just Like Hinter Rendl or Malfontal .......Ski at your own risk ! Very Happy Very Happy

If people want more Carpet Pistes they should book stay in France or head back there !! Very Happy

STOP THE BRUTAL GROOMING..

Its touch and go weather they renew Zammermoosbahn this summer

it will take the line of the old steep
Feldherrenhügel T bar..
Problem is more tree felling Shocked Shocked

IMO.. They should remove Zammermoisbahn and never replace it..

Reinstall the steep Feldherrenhügel T bar

Anyone who cant handle the T bar should ski down tobthe valley and take the Galzigbahn as they built it for woosys Very Happy Very Happy

Weather

Dramatic change coming this after/evening

Stormy weather coming .Snow coming .freeze level 1000M on Wednesday

Winter is not over until its Over
APRIL ..POW POW
ski holidays
@Santi19x, @stanton,
If your in St Anton now, could you tell me if they are likely to close additional lifts and pistes, other than the one that are shown closed today, on their interactive map?
Thanks
ski holidays
@stanton, As you well know the town makes the majority of its money from "piste" skiers (a significant number of whom avoid "black" runs) without those there would be no lifts (or taxis). The off piste bit adds to the general mystique of the place.

Not sure why the Zamermoosbahn needs to be upgraded (I thought all the planned new lifts were around Lech & Schröcken) but if it is then it would make sense to work on that ski route to turn it into a "skiweg" at the same time.
snow report
munich_irish wrote:
without those there would be no lifts (or taxis).

Good,, Less lifts the better..or bring back T Bars & drag lifts to bring down operating costs.

Resort Taxis are cartel run by a few companys the drivers all immigrants on low wages who come up From Landeck & Innsbruck

munich_irish wrote:
The off piste bit adds to the general mystique of the place.

St Anton is ALL about OFF Piste.

Piste Skiers are destroying one of the last Off Piste paradises ..

They should stick to the thousands of other resorts where they can carpet ski allday long with their €2000 ski suits, helmets and back packs .. Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

munich_irish wrote:
Zamermoosbahn needs to be upgraded

The Galzig (and Gampen) Hill are moving gradually .

It has been in the planning for years .. It is why the Moos Piste below Zammer has been bolstred & widened to accomodate the new Lift

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________--

http://youtube.com/v/kKtwA3fG7D4?
snow conditions
EssexEl wrote:
@Santi19x, @stanton,
If your in St Anton now, could you tell me if they are likely to close additional lifts and pistes, other than the one that are shown closed today, on their interactive map?
Thanks

Hey bud - I decided to go to Mayrhofen. Will be arriving this weekend so unfortunately can't help you. From what I read a lot of the general aarlberg area closes this weekend so you should be fine.

I also looked and the mooserwirt (the main apres place) is still open til sunday as well.

@munich_irish - thanks for the input the other night, appreciated it.
snow report
@stanton, All those folk who pootle about on the blue runs in swanky ski kit and then stay in 5 star hotels pay for everyone else, none of those = no Arlberg. Lots of places to find untracked skiing. The Lechtal alps (walk north from Pettneu) are one of the more remote and untouched areas of the Eastern alps (as evidenced by the US tourist above) you could ski for days and not see a lift or a bashed piste.
latest report
BREAKING NEWS

Winter in Back for the Last Week of the Season .... Freeze Level Snow down to 1000 Metres by Wednesday ...

If you were not here at the Opening for the opening 2weeks of the season ....You missed the best weeks of the entire season..Deep POW..empty slopes..fresh tracks for Days Very Happy Very Happy .... Nothng has come anywhere close to matching the opening weeks during the main tourist season....

Like wise we look to Close out the Season with an Epic Dump ........No one about should be Great ...

______________________________________________________________________________________________

munich_irish wrote:
@stanton, All those folk who pootle about on the blue runs in swanky ski kit and then stay in 5 star hotels pay for everyone else, none of those = no Arlberg..

Absolute Nonsense ..

They are only making a few familys even Richer than they are now....

Did you know there are more millionaire local residents per sq metre in St Anton than in the 1st District (Central) of Vienna ..

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Der weisse Rausch 2024 Saturday April 20th

https://der-weisse-rausch.at/at
ski holidays
Good looking out for next week
ski holidays
saller1 wrote:
Good looking out for next week

Just bought some bargain flights for a last minute end of season break. snowHead
ski holidays
some hotels already closed
snow report
Into the Final Week of the 23/24 Season

Over the Weekend we had the National Championships Dual Mogul and Mogul up on Rendl's Gampberg Drirekt Piste (Black)

https://www.tiktok.com/@stanton_arlberg_official/video/7357634485703200033

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Weather

The general weather situation is changing quite a bit this week. Cold polar air in the coming days.

Another cold front on Tuesday will be heading our direction, so the snow line can be below or even well below 1000m from Wednesday onwards.

From Saturday to Sunday, a new cold air advance from the north will arrive with a weather-effective frontal system.

Closing weekend promises to be cloudy, cold and quite wet.

The late return of winter cold will be noticeable both with green turning white again and with temperatures 20 to 25C cooler than recently !!

Bring on the POW ....

Rendl is open for the last week !!!!

Warth,Schrocken, Sonnenkopf are now Closed for the season ..
snow report
Private POWder Days !!!

Where is everyone ... you still got time .... It begins tomorrow

0.5M-1 Metre

Winter is Back ...

End of the Season will finsh like the Beginining of the Season ... Epic !!

snow report
Did schindler open today?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Windskisurf wrote:

Is that Schindler’s lift?
ski holidays
ster wrote:
Windskisurf wrote:

Is that Schindler’s lift?

Yes, Schindlergratbahn.

Did it open today? If not, anyone know if it's opening tomorrow?
ski holidays
Itsi wrap for 2023/2024

Thats it Folks for this season!

It is puking here POW

STOP THE BUTAL GROOMING

Njoy your Summer's
ski holidays
Incredible POW !!

Deep Winter Conditions ....

Snow on the ground down Valley to Strengen !!

Gampenbahn has been cranking up this morning April 23 ... Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
So gampenbahn did transport skiers ?
snow conditions
saller1 wrote:
So gampenbahn did transport skiers ?

Lift's closed to the public since Sunday, but running a bit for staff cleaning up, and their ski race yesterday. But it is still snowing lightly down to village level with a couple of inches on the ground. Touring is possible and there is a ridiculous amount of snow still up high above the freezing levels of all the rain that the village got this season. Oh for the days the lifts ran till May !
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy