Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying skis - Advice for cautious female skier please!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
DJL wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
DJL wrote:
All depends how far back you get your butt. I managed it second try.

Moving your butt back far enough to offset the CoG difference, when you failed doing it correctly the first time, is cheating.....It's a bit like reducing the distance to the wall to succeed at the Chair Lift test. Your thighs should be reasonably close to perpendicular to the floor.

BTW. Thank you for trying.

There was no instruction about thighs being perpendicular.

You make like a table on knees and elbows. Hunkering back until you can achieve the result is simply "Not Cricket"!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DJL wrote:

It's almost like the human body has immense redundancy in performing movements and centre of mass is quite easily moved wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boarder2020 wrote:
DJL wrote:

It's almost like the human body has immense redundancy in performing movements and centre of mass is quite easily moved wink

Well, there is that - But there is also the fact, that you are locked onto your skis with stiff plastic boots and with a setup and alignment that isn't ideal if you are a nervous Female Beginner/Intermediate.....but as a Male Snowboarder in comfortable boots, you would know little about that. NehNeh
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Old Fartbag wrote:
boarder2020 wrote:
DJL wrote:

Well, there is that - But there is also the fact, that you are locked onto your skis with stiff plastic boots and with a setup and alignment that isn't ideal if you are a nervous Female Beginner/Intermediate.....but as a Male Snowboarder in comfortable boots, you would know little about that. NehNeh

Yes, but as someone with a pretty decent understanding of biomechanics, I can tell you trying to compress human movement down to a single variable is pointless. Especially when you don't even have any data of that variable during the activity you are interested in comparing, so we don't know it's even an issue. Look at the research I posted above about men and women going from seated to standing - young men and women com trajectory has more in common with each other than with older people of the same sex. I've even given you a plausible reason why women might achieve the same com during skiing as guys (increased ankle and hip flexibility). (Maybe ski companies need to focus on skis for older inflexible men!).

Again not saying women shouldn't have their own skis. Simply that they probably don't need to completely reinvent the ski. Some companies seem to agree with this. Other companies seem to talk a lot of marketing bs about why their ski is so much better for women with nothing to really back it up. (To be fair there's plenty of marketing bs in men's skis too).

Obviously as a man that snowboards I couldn't possibly offer any insight though. I don't even have any funny tricks to try at home. wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think I have taken over this thread for long enough - so having made my arguments, I am backing out and hoping that the OP hasn't been put off and can pick the bones out of the debate.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I can do the chair lift with wooden table, whatever - but very sensitive to foot size/starting position, even an inch backwards and I'm struggling.

Second video is a farce - the male and female are in nothing like the same position, female has legs splayed which makes a big difference to stability/CoG - if I do it in the narrower 'natural' position for a bloke, I'll be flat on my face too, but if I conciously adopt the 'female' position, no problem.

Old Fartbag wrote:
DJL wrote:
phil_w wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
.. That video may seem trivial - but it nicely highlights the difference. It doesn't matter whether the people doing it are skinny or not. The result is the same.
No, I meant that I can trivially do the thing you say males can't.

I can do it too. Not easy and on moving head back from wall I have to bend further forward before standing. Easy if you let chair part from chest. For clarification I’m male and not super skinny.

I have found both the whole discussion and the results of the Chair Lift interesting. I have been aware of the Chairlift "trick" for over 50 years....and seen it tried many times, by many people. I have never seen a Male succeed, or a Female fail....so I wonder if there are any other factors influencing the results.

When I try, if in bare feet, I am 21" from the door and can stand up without holding any weight. If I lift a solid Oak side table, I can't stand up. If I am wearing shoes, I am 23" from the door and can't stand up, even without the table.....so I suppose some consistency and removal of variables need to be applied.

So, to take the variables of foot length and chair weight out of the equation, try this (carefully).

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/-5--jXXDL-0?feature=share

For the blokes that succeeded at the Chair lift - please try this and report back.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DidierCouch wrote:
... Second video is a farce - the male and female are in nothing like the same position, female has legs splayed which makes a big difference to stability/CoG - if I do it in the narrower 'natural' position for a bloke, I'll be flat on my face too, but if I conciously adopt the 'female' position, no problem.
Trivial to do, again. Some stomach muscles required, and obviously easily cheated as noted. The bloke in the video probably has a massive gut and he wasn't expecting it to work for him (he'd practiced). YouTube viewers are terribly gullible; it's not the BBC!

I suspect that the difference between overweight people and fit people is much larger than any difference between sexes.
The marketing guys would probably find that a tougher sell.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@DrSJF16, If you do decide to buy some skis, let us know what you end up getting and any others you tested and rejected.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For what it's worth just bought Atomic Q9 cloud for my wife. She has like me skied many years to a decent standard down any pisted slope you like, but she is not very aggressive (except when I'm out of line!). Good reviews all round. we ski two weeks a year ish. although not tried, they will I'm sure be fine.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
CEM wrote:
@DrSJF16, best thing you can do is try some of your shortlist if possible, everyone likes different things when it comes to skis, each brand has its own characteristics, sometimes it is simply the binding has a different delta between two brands which can make a ski feel good great or indeed terrible, in the coming months the shops at the snow centers normally have a demo pool with a few options that you can try and i would imagine there will be some public ski tests with some brands coming up too

of the skis you mention i would go the pure joy or the volkl, others to consider would the the atomic cloud 9 /cloud 11 or the rossignol Nova series, every brand makes something in this category it is just a case of trying to find the one that works for you , its like the driving postion in a car or even the fit of a pair of jeans, some just fit and some don't

sorry to pour some confusion on the search, but so many people will have an opinion on a specific model that worked for them, the point being they are not YOU

good luck in the quest

This ^ 100% !

Another suggestion is book a cheeky try a ski weekend! Several of the Austrian glacier resorts (notably Kaprun, Sölden, and Hintertux) do free ski try sessions very early season. They normally get a few manufacturer stands. Give them your passport or driving licence, leave your rentals with them, then ski for an hour or maybe two on a demo set. Rinse and repeat! If you find a pair you like you may be able to get a discount too! (They tend to have only a restricted selection of the most popular lengths - so I've not been able to use, but been with others who have.)

I broke my previous skis. I bought my current pair after finding a pair whilst trying different hire skis.
This gives another option - some ski hire shops let you try different pairs as part of a hire package, and will offer a discount or refund your rental if you buy after trying.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BigJin wrote:

This gives another option - some ski hire shops let you try different pairs as part of a hire package, and will offer a discount or refund your rental if you buy after trying.

Do be careful though, this is only a good approach if they're specifically demo skis, usually only available in the higher-end packages. A lot of standard rental skis are made for that market and are not guaranteed to feel the same as the retail version.

But yes, this is the way to do it, IMO, once you've narrowed down your selection, checking in advance that they have the skis you want to try. One of the advantages is that you'll be skiing each one for a whole day in similar conditions (assuming reasonably consistent weather) over the course of several days. Doing the same runs on different skis can highlight things that you might not notice on their own.

I recall doing exactly that 20+ years ago in Val Thorens. I really wanted to demo the then new Bandit 2X (not the later B2, completely different ski). They were out for a couple of days so I tried at least two other skis in the same market as well as my old worn-out X-Scream Series. Half way through the week, with icy conditions, particularly one section crossing over Mottaret, I'd concluded that maybe I wouldn't bother replacing them, but then the Bandits came available and on that day I recall commenting to me wife and friends how much better the conditions were on that section. They all looked at me and said no, they were exactly the same as the previous day, possibly worse. Case proven, skis bought. I did love those skis Cool

They gave a complete refund of the 3 days demo fee against the new skis, which was pretty much the norm.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BigJin wrote:
CEM wrote:
@DrSJF16, best thing you can do is try some of your shortlist if possible, everyone likes different things when it comes to skis, each brand has its own characteristics, sometimes it is simply the binding has a different delta between two brands which can make a ski feel good great or indeed terrible, in the coming months the shops at the snow centers normally have a demo pool with a few options that you can try and i would imagine there will be some public ski tests with some brands coming up too

of the skis you mention i would go the pure joy or the volkl, others to consider would the the atomic cloud 9 /cloud 11 or the rossignol Nova series, every brand makes something in this category it is just a case of trying to find the one that works for you , its like the driving postion in a car or even the fit of a pair of jeans, some just fit and some don't

sorry to pour some confusion on the search, but so many people will have an opinion on a specific model that worked for them, the point being they are not YOU

good luck in the quest

This ^ 100% !

Another suggestion is book a cheeky try a ski weekend! Several of the Austrian glacier resorts (notably Kaprun, Sölden, and Hintertux) do free ski try sessions very early season. They normally get a few manufacturer stands. Give them your passport or driving licence, leave your rentals with them, then ski for an hour or maybe two on a demo set. Rinse and repeat! If you find a pair you like you may be able to get a discount too! (They tend to have only a restricted selection of the most popular lengths - so I've not been able to use, but been with others who have.)

I broke my previous skis. I bought my current pair after finding a pair whilst trying different hire skis.

Or better still - Zermatt ski test. There are packages for a fixed price that include accom+ski pass + access to 100’s of new skis available for test. And you get to visiti/ski Zermatt on a budget
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy