Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt and Cervinia 2023-2024

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone on the ground at the moment? Did the crossing open yesterday?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes the crossing was open yesterday (Saturday) although the run down from the glacier paradise was very hard packed and windy blown. I think it's forecast to be windier today though so will have to see
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think I’m reading correctly that it’s open today?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@sbooker, yes it opened today although late, not sure what time. Didn't head over so not sure how windy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
With two grandchildren starting skiing not been to the border yet. Snow good on Riffleberg and Rothhorn. Sunnegga slushy by lunchtime, but the best restaurants are there! Having a great time with plenty of factor 50 on.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I made it over on Monday. Beautiful sunny skies. Perfect for scenery photos. Got the obligatory photo of coffee and cake with the pointy mountain in the background.
I found the lift infrastructure and glacier as stunning as the Matterhorn to be honest.
Side note. I think Cervinia may be the worst for signage and directions of any of the dozens and dozens of ski resorts I’ve visited on the planet.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For those getting to Cervinia this week, it has snowed pretty much constantly from lunch time on Friday until Saturday night. It should be a good week ahead for you.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ok... I'm on the final countdown now. Travelling to Cervinia on Sunday.
I'm going to start paying closer attention to the forecast.

Looking like snow all week which is fantastic in one way... However, with my ailing back, I am no longer a powder hound and will be looking to take a break from the inevitable fresh snow moguls!

For those in the know, where are the best places to hit up for reasonably priced pasta and wine?

Sun 25 --- 21cm New Snow
    Mon 26 --- 1cm New Snow
    Tue 27 --- 5cm New Snow
    Wed 28 --- 4cm New Snow
    Thu 29 --- 2cm New Snow
    Fri 1 --- 2cm New Snow
    Sat 2 --- 1cm New Snow
    Sun 3 --- 1cm New Snow
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Currently in Zermatt. Pistes are in remarkably good condition given the lack of recent snow. Only the runs down to Findeln were a bit mushy, but skiable.

Skied a fair chunk of Gornegrat and Sunnegga sections yesterday, Valtournenche and part of Cervinia today. All really very good, although off-piste not worth considering
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whitters wrote:
Currently in Zermatt. Pistes are in remarkably good condition given the lack of recent snow. Only the runs down to Findeln were a bit mushy, but skiable.

Skied a fair chunk of Gornegrat and Sunnegga sections yesterday, Valtournenche and part of Cervinia today. All really very good, although off-piste not worth considering

Yep. Back here for the first time since mid January. At lower levels it is the same snow as when I departed! Upper levels have had a few moderate top ups. I have not been skiing as I am here with the grandchildren so my time has been spent at the learner parks at Sunnegga and Riffelberg and at play parks. But the pistes do look very good. Slightly concerned about next week as son is coming out to do some off piste with me. He is not (yet) a tourer so we need to be doing lift accessed stuff. As you say it looks pretty poor. There is precipitation coming along in the next couple of days so I am pinning my hopes on that.

snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well that storm delivered the goods. Nice covering down the valley here in Täsch (and still snowing now) so should be excellent up in the ski area - and even better on the Cervinia side which looked like it was getting first dibs on the storm as it came over. Nice little top ups possible at beginning of next week as well. Let’s pretend the last month didn’t happen and continue on what had been a good season up until mid- January.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes a lot of snow in Zermatt itself too - in fact it’s still falling (even though Meteo Suisse is saying it has stopped!)

Should be great up high, although my daughter struggles with powder so it might be a difficult day for her

Despite the lack of fresh snow until now, it’s been a great week with very good conditions, so very happy with Zermatt once again
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Has the link between Valtournenche and Cervinia been open? (Gran Sometta and Du Col lifts)? I noticed recently they have been closed. Also, is the old cable car to Rote Nase expected to open, or is it closed for the season? I'm heading to Zermatt in a few weeks and I'd love to get some of the freerides in off Rote Nase/Hohtalli. The area was closed when I was there last April so I'm itching to get them in.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Satchboogie, the Valtournenche links were certainly open on Tuesday and Wednesday this week when we used them.

Rote Nase was closed the one time when we went past
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Whitters wrote:
@Satchboogie, the Valtournenche links were certainly open on Tuesday and Wednesday this week when we used them.

Rote Nase has not opened yet. I was snow shoe walking just down from there today and the snow seemed sufficient. Would like to see it open as it is my favourite area and they didn’t open it at all last year (because it was a dreadful snow year).

There js a proposal to build a new lift from Hotälli over past Rote Nasa and on to where the old Stockhorn lift was. That would be great but no point doing it if they are not going to get the area opened up more regularly.
snow report
JohnMo wrote:
Whitters wrote:

Rote Nase has not opened yet. I was snow shoe walking just down from there today and the snow seemed sufficient. Would like to see it open as it is my favourite area and they didn’t open it at all last year (because it was a dreadful snow year).

There js a proposal to build a new lift from Hotälli over past Rote Nasa and on to where the old Stockhorn lift was. That would be great but no point doing it if they are not going to get the area opened up more regularly.

Thanks for the update. Is it still just in proposal phase for the new lift?
ski holidays
Satchboogie wrote:
JohnMo wrote:
Whitters wrote:

Thanks for the update. Is it still just in proposal phase for the new lift?

Yes. I am afraid so. My worry is that the lift company extended itself so much with the Klein Matterhorn Test Grigia lift that other projects might get pushed back.
snow report
Not jealous (as long as the link is open and I can ski over) - Cervinia is doing really well. All the precipitation tonight is pushing up from the south so they are going to get dumped on again - we’ll get what’s left.

snow conditions
Cervinia has still being doing better. But the snow over the last 24 hours has been great on the Swiss side as well. We were walking up from Riffelberg on snow shoes and it was a real workout through the deep fresh snow. The weekend looks like it could bring some real serious stuff. Next week looks like it could be the best of the season so far.

snow report
Has the connection to Cervinia been closed? If so, is it for weather conditions or other issues?
snow conditions
Ptspeak wrote:
Has the connection to Cervinia been closed? If so, is it for weather conditions or other issues?

I think it was closed today. Winds have been coming from the south east bringing the (very welcome) snow. They have been fairly strong so that is why it would have been closed. I am hopeful it will be open tomorrow as I intend skiing over there.
ski holidays
Hello, I know Zermatt and I was thinking of visiting it again from Cervinia next Monday with two people who have never been there. The forecast is for a lot of snow on Sunday, do you think it will open in international pass on Monday? Will the slopes be in good condition (no off-piste)? Some resorts prepare slopes in the morning when it has snowed at night, is this the case in Cervinia/Zermatt? Thank you so much!
snow report
Ichure wrote:
Hello, I know Zermatt and I was thinking of visiting it again from Cervinia next Monday with two people who have never been there. The forecast is for a lot of snow on Sunday, do you think it will open in international pass on Monday? Will the slopes be in good condition (no off-piste)? Some resorts prepare slopes in the morning when it has snowed at night, is this the case in Cervinia/Zermatt? Thank you so much!

There is the potential for a huge amount of snow on Sunday. If that happens there is a real risk that Monday will see a lot of lifts not opening or opening late. The link is very likely to be closed. The focus will be on avalanche control. Later in the week should be brilliant. The slopes are already in great condition with the snow over the last week. I spent all day off piste today and the conditions were absolutely superb.
snow conditions
Recent snowfall has been great in Zermatt and out of this world in Cervinia.

snow report
Looks amazing! Going on the 24th so hopefully this keeps up.
ski holidays
npennington85 wrote:
Looks amazing! Going on the 24th so hopefully this keeps up.

It is looking good. A nice top up tomorrow then some very nice stuff over weekend into early next week. Nice cold temperatures to keep it in good condition as well. After a good start to the season then a dry, warm pitch from mid Jan for about 4 weeks, late Feb and March is turning into a stunner.

snow conditions
Going to Cervinia for the 1st time this weekend.

For the Cervinia experts keen on powder/offpiste, which zones would you go to this weekend given weather forecasts (snowy day on Saturday, snowmageddon on Sunday). When we booked, Zermatt for one of the 2 days sounded v good but I think we'll give this a miss given low vis/soft snow slowing us down, wind (?) etc.

Our group has a good level with offpiste equipment, but given the conditions, what are the safe powder hotspots (below chair lifts, trees, etc)? the Cieloalto lift will be convenient for us (that's where accomodation is) and I heard thats where the only trees in Cervinia are.

What about Valtournenche?
ski holidays
I see that a lot of lifts are closed today which I assume is due to the weather. With all the recent snow, will all lifts be operating when the weather improves?

I ask because I have been reading some old reviews that make it sound like not all lifts will necessarily open, even with reasonable snow conditions.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I see that a lot of lifts are closed today which I assume is due to the weather. With all the recent snow, will all lifts be operating when the weather improves?
ski holidays
Hi, is there any easy way to find out early if the link to Zermatt is open? Also is there any refund if you buy the full day pass and then the link doesn't open?
snow conditions
Anyone on-site atm give an accurate up-to-date information of current off piste and snow quality in general in the resort?
ski holidays
I'm headed out on the 17th. Looks like snow all week - anyone got a view on the right skis to take? Looks like there is a lot of fresh snow so the 94 all mountains seem best choice rather 72's. Or does anyone out there know otherwise - is everything solid ice underneath??
ski holidays
I just got to Zermatt tonight. It looks like lots of fresh snow, I suspect all the upper lifts will be closed tomorrow but hopefully things will be back to normal by Wednesday. Snowline today was probably around 1300-1400m
snow conditions
@Satchboogie, I'll be there tomorrow..looking forward .
I hope Tuesday will be all back open?
latest report
toro wrote:
@Satchboogie, I'll be there tomorrow..looking forward .
I hope Tuesday will be all back open?

Hopefully. It's supposed to be more windy Tuesday and cloudy/possible snow so I wouldn't be surprised if the connection to Italy is closed.
snow conditions
Let us know how things are tomorrow if you go out skiing ...have fun snowHead snowHead
snow report
Be safe, stay on piste. Today’s news on the BBC of 5 confirmed deaths in Zermatt with one missing. Experienced Swiss nationals ski touring.
ski holidays
@toro, 1st day skiing in Cervinia today, heavy snow on arrival yesterday, slow journey up, snow chains needed but woke up to blue sky this morning, some lifts were a little late getting going this morning, unsurprisingly considering all the fresh snow, but been a great day in excellent conditions, we’re piste skiers but plenty going off piste, so looks like it will be a good week on or off piste.
Sad to here about the deaths of the ski tourers near Zermatt over the weekend when the conditions were really bad.
snow report
Two weeks till we will be in Zermatt! Excited and hope the conditions stay awesome!
latest report

Conditions were amazing yesterday. Stuff got skied out fairly quickly but there was good powder everywhere. It was a delayed opening as expected and Rothorn, Hohtalli, and Hirli remained closed for the day, but the lower slopes opened by 9:30/10 and Matterhorn Glacier Paradise/Italy connection opened around 11ish. Looks to be a great few weeks ahead.

Were heading to the Italian side today with lunch reservations at Chalet Etoile Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy