Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt and Cervinia 2023-2024

Poster: A snowHead
Cervinia connection closed today I think due to wind on the Italian side. Conditions are fine on the Swiss except for a little low light.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
slider3 wrote:
I'm headed out on the 17th. Looks like snow all week - anyone got a view on the right skis to take? Looks like there is a lot of fresh snow so the 94 all mountains seem best choice rather 72's. Or does anyone out there know otherwise - is everything solid ice underneath??

Hi Slider3,

I'm in Cervinia as a solo skier that week. (M, 55, experienced, off piste skier, i prefer lift served off piste but happy to hike or skin if adjudged worthwhile)

Kindly PM me if you'd like to meet up for a ski or beer maybe. (Ditto for any other SHeads that are in Cervinia/Zermatt from the 17th)

P.s. Forecast on wepowder is looking yummy, fingers crossed Eh oh!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Italian side opened again today and I was lucky enough to get a lunch reservation at Chalet Etoile. Food was solid, though I realized that skiing after a long break and big lunch is not for me, my legs thought the day was over. Eh oh! definitely sticking with my quick sandwich or soup lunches.

Conditions on the Italian side were OK, the pistes were fairly rock hard and the off-piste looked horribly wind blown just about everywhere. That said the Swiss side also wasn't as good today with the higher temps, mid mountain and lower got soft and very chopped up compared to earlier in the week. Hopefully the temps will drop again and bring a little snow to clean things up again.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Still lots of snow in Cervinia and visibility wasn't bad today but we got hit by a snowstorm 2-3x when coming down from Plateau rosa. Once visibility was maybe 1meter another time it was a hit better but the cold was nothing I experienced before.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good conditions in Zermatt and snow on the way this evening. Above about 2250m it’s excellent winter snow and off piste still holding up. Itineraries in good condition for time of year and all in all it’s as lovely as ever!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
NGSussex wrote:
Good conditions in Zermatt and snow on the way this evening. Above about 2250m it’s excellent winter snow and off piste still holding up. Itineraries in good condition for time of year and all in all it’s as lovely as ever!

Where should we go? Today was our first day and everything on the glacier side was closed so we stuck to gornegrat area—snow was great but it was very crowded.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tomorrow likely to be snowy so I would suggest either Sunnegga area or Schwarzee. Both have tree areas and will be better if visibility poor. Thursday looks the best day to head up to the glacier before the wind picks up again.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
3rd day skiing in zermatt and weather has been a bummer. Tuesday was nice snow but poor visibility and half the resort was closed because of wind. Wednesday it dumped but again poor vis and plenty closed due to wind. Today was more of the same—wind and closed lifts/pistes. Tomorrow and Saturday don’t look any better.

Can’t predict the weather but no views and weaving in between beginners on crowded slopes has been the tale of the trip. In chamonix next week so hoping that’s not a bust too for our first Europe ski trip.

Upside to zermatt has been the food—every place we’ve been has had great service and excellent food.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pancheron ski lift in Cervinia today. There are still people uploading at this stage.

latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mad looking - some wind & a helluva ride!!!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
npennington85 wrote:
3rd day skiing in zermatt and weather has been a bummer. Tuesday was nice snow but poor visibility and half the resort was closed because of wind. Wednesday it dumped but again poor vis and plenty closed due to wind. Today was more of the same—wind and closed lifts/pistes. Tomorrow and Saturday don’t look any better.

Can’t predict the weather but no views and weaving in between beginners on crowded slopes has been the tale of the trip. In chamonix next week so hoping that’s not a bust too for our first Europe ski trip.

Upside to zermatt has been the food—every place we’ve been has had great service and excellent food.

Forecast looks much more benign for next week so you should be fine.

Also Chamonix has many diverse & disparate ski areas, that are all only connected by road, bus &/or light rail. (within ~15minutes or so).
Furthermore, Courmayeur in Italy , which is on the MB unlimited lift pass, & which I'd encourage you to go to 1 (sunny) day at least, is the other side of the Mont Blanc tunnel (~30 minutes by bus, less by car). And this often has a total different weather system operating to the Chamonix Valley ski areas.

Many people dislike Chamonix for this very reason, (I.e. the fact that it's split up), but what is often forgotten in this criticism by some, is that because these great individual but disparate ski areas are spread out along the Chamonix valley, with quite different altitudes, aspects, tree lines, glacier effects & topographies, there is nearly always good skiing somewhere in Chamonix (& Courmayeur), which makes the place magical in many ways imho. Enjoy - you'll love it!!!

P.s. looking at the forecast I'd try to travel on Saturday (or Sunday) while the mountains fill up with fresh snow above you !!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JohnMo wrote:
Pancheron ski lift in Cervinia today. There are still people uploading at this stage.

are you sure they let people on that lift?

https://www.facebook.com/reel/948052320283183
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
davidof wrote:
JohnMo wrote:

are you sure they let people on that lift?

https://www.facebook.com/reel/948052320283183

I think that is people on the front lift? I am sure they weren’t letting any more people on but gusts can come very quickly.

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The youtube video of this says (I think correctly) that it was the Cretaz not the Pancheron, although it also says that the lift was closed at the time when there are clearly people on it.

http://youtube.com/v/9yBiXezdF78
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm in Nendaz and been watching the lift status on Matterhorn as plan on going there for a couple of days. I knew its been windy as Verbier links have been shut but bl**dy hell !!
Would not be a happy chappy on a lift in that situation.
ski holidays
Arrived in Zermatt today in the rain, but it's now turned to heavy (if wet) snow at resort level. I think we're in for a good week!
snow conditions
Mid week report from Cervinia.

Arrived on Sunday raining to about 1300m then turned to wet snow.

Monday was a day to test one's patience, knowledge of piste management/queues. A very slow open up from Cretaz, Plan Maison and Pancheron. Super snow conditions as a reward.

Tuesday, was bluebird and fresh snow everywhere. Plenty of people willing to chance their arm off piste, despite the elevated avalanche risk. Superb soft snow.

Wednesday started out amazing off Testa Grigia, heaps of forgiving soft snow in the sun. Then the weather closed in with a mixture of rain and snow in Valtourneche. Back to Cervinia in poor viz with ice coated goggles-nice. Afternoon above Plan Maison with the other mad dogs and Englishmen in the heavy snow.
snow report
@JeanPaulValley, how busy is it and how are the lift queues? If the whole area had been open would it have been more manageable? Thinking of Cervinia for next Easter, which is about two weeks later than this year. My kids get school holidays before the Italian kids and wondering if it is significantly busier once Easter proper kicks in
latest report
@8611,

Easter Monday was very busy but to be expected given limited opening etc, Tuesday less so but a few queues. Yesterday much quieter in town and on the slopes, the car park at the gondola was probably a third full.

I'd say avoid the Easter weekend if possible, but if not, suck it up, it's not too much of a hassle.
snow report
Thanks. Worth knowing.
latest report
@JohnMo, regarding the high winds in Cervinia on 28 March, my group had a late lunch on the mountain in total ignorance of what was happening outside. When our gladdened bellies emerged, it was near chaos. Skis planted in deep snow outside the restaurant were being blown around and some people were blown off their feet in the sudden gusts. It was probably the highest wind speed I've experienced in 43 years of skiing. When it was at our backs the acceleration while skiing was quite surreal.

Several non-skiers in our lunch group were stranded in the restaurant for a couple of hours while the police figured out how to get everyone off the mountain. According to my cousin there were multiple people stopping anyone who looked official and confounding them by asking questions like "When will the wind stop?"

At the bottom of the Cretaz chairlift we saw one or two damaged chairs coming down with their safety bars broken and precariously dangling from one side.
snow report
@Walter-Spitty, Wow. That sounds incredible. I have been fortunate in that I have never been caught in anything as drastic as that. The lift company are usually very cautious at closing things down when winds are on the way. They clearly got caught out badly this time.
snow conditions
@JohnMo, one positive is that I think my wife (with only 4 weeks skiing experience) now understands my prior warnings about how quickly mountain weather can change!
ski holidays
npennington85 wrote:

@npennington85-
Well how did you get on in Chamonix?

How were the conditions??

Did you dislike, like or love it???
latest report
horgand wrote:

@npennington85-

In short, greatest skiing I’ve ever had. My wife and I had a guide from Chamex for off piste. Every day was better than the last. Monday we skied grands montets, Tuesday le tour, Wednesday brevent and flegere, Thursday courmayeur, and Friday we did the Vallée Blanche.

Neither of us are great skiers but we got some amazing skiing with great snow and epic views. We want to come back next year for sure.

Here’s some of the powder on the VB on Friday:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5Yh_9colPb/?igsh=MWR1bGMyMm01ajBtMw==
snow report
Someone turned the temperature up to 11 today in Cervinia, 16 degrees in the town.

Resort runs are now a slushfest and higher runs now in full on freeze/thaw cycle.

Plenty of weekend warriors and sunbathers on the terraces today.

Still a cracking week all in all, no complaints whatsoever.
snow report
@JeanPaulValley, very high the next couple of days. But by the next precipitation on Tuesday the temperatures are way down. Looking like a good end to the season.
snow report
@JohnMo, Fingers crossed for you, I've had a great couple of weeks this season in Zermatt and Cervinia. Enjoy the rest of the season.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
npennington85 wrote:
horgand wrote:

@npennington85-

In short, greatest skiing I’ve ever had. My wife and I had a guide from Chamex for off piste. Every day was better than the last. Monday we skied grands montets, Tuesday le tour, Wednesday brevent and flegere, Thursday courmayeur, and Friday we did the Vallée Blanche.

Neither of us are great skiers but we got some amazing skiing with great snow and epic views. We want to come back next year for sure.

Here’s some of the powder on the VB on Friday:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5Yh_9colPb/?igsh=MWR1bGMyMm01ajBtMw==

Ahh I'm delighted for ye after your disappointing weather in Zermatt. Z & C unfortunately are prone to get very wind & avalanche affected in my experience.

I tried to tell you Chamonix was a magical place, isn't it? & your schedule was pretty much the optimum way to see & explore the amazing Chamonix & Courmayeur valley ski areas imho. A slight shame that the GM top lift is still out of action after their fire when servicing it (& it will be until ~2026 iirc ), as ye could then have skied the Argentiere Glacier down the 2 unpisted pistes which is amazing glacier skiing, & maybe 'La Face', or better again entered the Vallee Blanche from the very top of GMs via the Pas de Chevre route with your guide..... yummy.

Ah well - something to come back for - start saving up Wink & don't become a stranger so!!! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Hi Folks,

I'm likely in Zermatt from Wednesday night till Sunday night this week. Would be up to meet up with keen skiers in Z, particularly on Saturday & Sunday as I'm likely flying solo those days. Anyone interested just pm me on here pls.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

P.s. Anyone have an opinion if the end of season gigs are worth going to ?

Thinking of maybe attending
https://www.myswitzerland.com/en-ie/experiences/events/gregory-porter/

Saucy enough though to see an artist I've never heard of tbh.... Puzzled
snow conditions
@horgand, On your ps I have no idea who that is. Our son and daughter in law are going to some of the main concerts but I can’t remember which ones. My wife and I prefer the ones you can go to with the Unplugged pass - i.e. taste village, Blue Lounge, Riffelberg and a few others. Much better atmosphere at those i think.

Tomorrow (and to a lesser extent Wednesday) look rather rainy in town (but snow up in ski area). But Thursday onwards looks fantastic.
latest report
Thanks for the heads up Johnmo, that's decided it's an unplugged pass for me then. Sounds much more my scene too.
snow report
Done really well out of today’s precipitation. Looks like it is going to continue for some time as well. Snow line now at about 1400m and falling. Creating great conditions in the ski area. April delivering the goods again.
ski holidays
Seems like were heading towards a very hot week ahead?

Plan on heading to Zermatt from 10 to 20 April and a bit worried from the weather conditions.

Thanks
snow conditions
Mohammed wrote:
Seems like were heading towards a very hot week ahead?

Plan on heading to Zermatt from 10 to 20 April and a bit worried from the weather conditions.

Thanks

Yes, off the scale hot. But that can be lovely. Cervinia has had the better snow but is mainly south facing so will suffer more. Stay high; stay north facing. So go to Rothorn and turn left to head down Tufternkumme. Go up to Hohtälli and head down to Gant. Go up to Furggsattel and head down to Furg. Go up to Schwarzsee and head over to the Hirli lift and ski those pistes. April skiing is the best.
latest report
Thanks John, I greatly appreciate the recommendations!
snow report
any recommendations for a half board hotel in Zermatt or village down the valley? don't want to be mega expensive and child friendly for new year week.
ski holidays
I was skiing down from Gornegrat to Gant today. On piste 26 just where it turns left and dips down to the Grünsee restaurant (now called Ze Seewjinu) there had been a large avalanche that had come down onto the piste. I assume it didn’t happen during ski hours or we would have heard about it. Probably happened last week after those crazy few days of snow that also gave rise to the fatal Riffelberg avalanche.

snow report
I went down there last Friday and there wasn't an avalanche in evidence then - I assume I would've noticed? I noticed the Riffelberg one.
ski holidays
Baron von chippy wrote:
any recommendations for a half board hotel in Zermatt or village down the valley? don't want to be mega expensive and child friendly for new year week.

Might be a few in the comments section of this useful visitor video on SNOW-FORECAST.COM

https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Zermatt

http://youtube.com/v/2qhV2F3WRIU
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy