Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil 2023/2024 - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc.

Poster: A snowHead
Les gets
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mikeelsa wrote:
Les gets

Did you luck out the same week last year, when the Alps winter came back with a happy vengeance?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes been going same week for a few years and always been quite lucky with weather. It looks okay up the mountain and not sure if the links to morzine are open
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can confirm that piste conditions in Avoriaz are still excellent, as of yesterday. Skied all across from Pre le Joux, Plaine Dranse, Lindarets, down to Prodains, around Fornet, back over to Lindarets for lunch, then Mossettes area and eventually down to car park at 1615ish. Was still some pretty decent off-piste to be found if you hit it at the right time - normal spring-like too hard in the morning, too soft later on, wonderful for an hour or two in the middle.

Freezing level differs between forecasters but will be over 2000m for most of the next few days, so although new snow will be good some areas like Morzine-Pleney-LG will possibly not see any improvements.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Count down is on for our trip at Easter, hoping it's a snowy one but looking for recommendations for confidence building blues for me (skier) that won't bore the pants off my snowboarding boyfriend. We're staying in Morzine but realise we're going to have to get PdS passes to access the better conditions higher up in Avoriaz etc., which pistes do you guys suggest based on current conditions?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Heading out to Morzine 4th April, what are the odds of the link to Avoriaz still being open?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Raining everywhere overnight and still this morning. Skiing was decent yesterday and they have done a great job working with what they have. One of the kids in our party broke his collarbone yesterday which was a downer. Not sure where the freezing line is so avoriaz might have some fresh
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skied the Swiss side yesterday, dropping over into Avoriaz from Mossettes, and yes, pretty damned good everywhere.

Except for the track across to the Chaux chair - last remaining way home (i.e. back to Morgins) with the Tovassiere run now closed again, but now with a poorly-signed 5m section of matting which you could just about get across on skis, but which with the overnight and morning rain will I'm sure require a skis-off walk from now on. I don't know how long they'll be able to keep it running.

Freezing level across the area between 2000 and 2500m for the next few days, so won't do anything to help the lower runs.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Any lift pass experts know if I can go into ticket office and upgrade our les gets pass to full pds just for the day
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
mikeelsa wrote:
Any lift pass experts know if I can go into ticket office and upgrade our les gets pass to full pds just for the day

I have to admit I’ve never done this … but from experience the lift company are pretty strict with this type of stuff (we tried to obtain a refund for a day’s pass for our 16Y old who had a broken wrist … they just waved us off and told us to go down the insurance route). Good luck.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You can definitely upgrade a weekly pass from a local area to PDS providing you have not yet used the pass. I don’t believe they will allow just one day but do report back.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We always used to get the full pass before kids but it's not worth it as we need to be back for 1230 for ski school. The dads were all going to do it today but they want you to buy a full day seperate pass at 64 euro. Not doing that and it seems mad that they don't allow you to just pay the difference for the day
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mikeelsa wrote:
We always used to get the full pass before kids but it's not worth it as we need to be back for 1230 for ski school. The dads were all going to do it today but they want you to buy a full day seperate pass at 64 euro. Not doing that and it seems mad that they don't allow you to just pay the difference for the day

I appreciate it’s annoying with kids lessons etc as we’ve been there ourselves. I do think it’s a fair policy as otherwise everyone would buy the cheaper passes and upgrade on convenience. PDS has reasonable pricing for a big area and do allow upgrades for weekly passes.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ozboy wrote:
mikeelsa wrote:

I appreciate it’s annoying with kids lessons etc as we’ve been there ourselves. I do think it’s a fair policy as otherwise everyone would buy the cheaper passes and upgrade on convenience. PDS has reasonable pricing for a big area and do allow upgrades for weekly passes.

Fair point
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
arriving at Avoriaz at Saturday, and looking the conditions in the other areas, i suppose that tha majority of the people who book for the Easter will try to reach Avoriaz for some decent ski.
Can someone find in Avoriaz some slopes which are not so crowded?
Furthermore i think it will be better to go anti-cyclish , meaning make a few runs in Avoriaz and then head to e.g. Chatel or Les Crossets.
I suppose that most of the people from this places will try to go to Avoriaz in the time from 10 till 12 pm
Or did i miss something?
ski holidays
@turms2, Not sure I understand completely what you want, but it's normally a quite simple formula - the closer to Avoriaz 'village', the more crowded.

For the best skiing on the least crowded slopes, get over to Crosets and Champoussin. Seriously, the difference is astonishing.

On the French side, yeah, get past Lindarets in the Chatel direction to Plaine Dranse and it's a lot better and remains so at Linga and then over in SuperChatel; or down to Prodains (which was still excellent a week ago) and back round to Fornet (Stade chair still seems to have less of a lift queue than the new Lacs Intrets) and up and over via Cubore lift and just the top half of the Lindarets valley to Switzerland.
snow conditions
turms2 wrote:
arriving at Avoriaz at Saturday, and looking the conditions in the other areas, i suppose that tha majority of the people who book for the Easter will try to reach Avoriaz for some decent ski.
Furthermore i think it will be better to go anti-cyclish , meaning make a few runs in Avoriaz and then head to e.g. Chatel or Les Crossets.
I suppose that most of the people from this places will try to go to Avoriaz in the time from 10 till 12 pm
Or did i miss something?

Go to Plane Dranse area in Chatel as it is often overlooked by holiday makers who head to Avoriaz. The top of lifts are only 100m lower in elevation to Avoriaz. Start with laps of Les Combe lift in the morning if there has been an overnight freeze as it is the first run to get the sun. Avoriaz will be quieter at lunchtime especially if it’s warm as people will be enjoying long lunches in the sun.
snow conditions
ok thanks for the info
@Chaletbeauroc i mean exactly what you said in your answer " the closer to Avoriaz 'village', the more crowded".
from 09.00 till 11.00 we have to be around Avoriaz because the kids are in ski schoool, so i will make a few runs over Avoriaz, and later with the kids maybe heading to Lindarets, and either further to Chatel or to Les Crossets. Theoretically i will be "anti clockwise", and i have to go back to Avoriaz when the majority will have to go back to Chatel, Les Crossets etc
snow conditions
Ozboy wrote:
turms2 wrote:
Or did i miss something?

Go to Plane Dranse area in Chatel as it is often overlooked by holiday makers who head to Avoriaz. The top of lifts are only 100m lower in elevation to Avoriaz. Start with laps of Les Combe lift in the morning if there has been an overnight freeze as it is the first run to get the sun. Avoriaz will be quieter at lunchtime especially if it’s warm as people will be enjoying long lunches in the sun.

Plane Dranse is the area over Pre La Joux? i cannot start the day from there, since our accommodtaion will be in Avoriaz
ski holidays
turms2 wrote:

Plane Dranse is the area over Pre La Joux?

Technically PD is the area at the top of the Pierre Longue lift (from the Pre la Joux parking) but the Combes lift mentioned is further across, directly reachable from the PlJ lift itself.

turms2 wrote:
i cannot start the day from there, since our accommodtaion will be in Avoriaz

It's two lifts (la Tour or Proclou, then Chaux Fleurie) to get to Plain Dranse from Avoriaz village. Then one more, Chaux des Rosées, to get to the area mentioned. So yeah, it won't be first thing, but the triangle between Combes and Cornebois chairs will have had a bit of sun, so may be nicely softened up by the time you get there. It's one of my favourite "secret stash" areas, so don't tell anybody Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@turms2, Yes above PLJ and only 2 lifts from Avoriaz: Tour and Chaux Fluerie and you will be going in the opposite direction to traffic. Best way to get to Les Combe is to drop to the PLJ carpark from Plane Dranse along the home run and then take the Pre La Joux lift (not Pierre Longue) to get to Les Combe / Cornebois areas.

EDIT: You can also take Chaux Des Roses as described above but the home run allows you to do a top-to-bottom run.
snow conditions
ok , thanks. I will check it at Sunday. However i do not know if its the best option to do after i drop the kids, because i have to be back in Avoriaz Plateu at 11.15 i think. That means i have to go "with the traffic" around 10.30 ....
latest report
@Ozboy, Yeah, the home run down under Pierre Longue is great, but could be a bit boiler-plate first thing at this time of year. For anyone going down that way for the first time you need to keep to the left of the car park, with a track leading round to the moving carpet nursery area, to find the PlJ chairlift. It may have no snow at this time of year (but they try to keep it skiable as long as they can) but it's just a 5 minute walk anyway.
snow report
I wouldn't want to come out next week. We have had a decent week so far but the pistes are on their last legs. They have done well to keep a lot of it going but another few runs lost today. Chavannes is going fast and the bottom won't last the weekend unless the weather changes. On the plus side the slopes have been so quiet. Never seen so few people
latest report
ich personally have no other choice. Is already booked.
The only which is still questionable, is if we will ski the arriving day (29.March) or not. But i will take the decision really at last minute.
ski holidays
I booked Easter week ages ago. It looks like there is some snow due this weekend and I really hope there is. One of my kids hasn’t made it to the mountains this year yet and she will be fuming if she can’t ski at all.
snow report
I’m heading out to Montriond tomorrow for a long weekend skiing. I’m expecting Avoriaz to be busier than normal with Morzine and Les Gets traffic up there which would normally stay local.

But there looks to be more than enough snow up at Lindarets to keep us busy, and more forecast for the weekend with the drop in temps, and it beats being in the office.
snow conditions
For the weekend to make much difference the temps will need to drop or it will just be rain/sleet very wet snow
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I had Tuesday off the hill as it looked absolutely dreadful (and was, apparently), and today was meant to be similar - it wasn’t. One heavyish shower about 10, then improved all day and we ended the day having a beer in the sun at Prodains. Pistes are heavy by about lunchtime but we had some fun off Hautes Fortes. Looking forward to some sun tomorrow and some fresh over the weekend. On another note had a boot fitting and some repairs (on a quite badly gouged ski) by Alan Browning from Coq & Bull (works out of Le Local). Flippin’ excellent.
snow report
@Timmycb5 - there is absolutely no possibility of her not skiing at all. Above about 1700m there’s plenty of snow and no bare patches at all. We skied over in Les Crosets this week and it was fine over there, so Avoriaz/Lindarets/Plaine Dranse will be in decent nick for easter week. Get out early and have a beer in the afternoon.
snow conditions
mikeelsa wrote:
For the weekend to make much difference the temps will need to drop or it will just be rain/sleet very wet snow

Saturday and Sunday are forecast to be 10-12 degrees colder than the last couple of days. with freezing levels remaining below 1500m until Wednesday or so. So the forecast 10-20cm of snow should stay around and piste conditions should remain good for the week. I hope.
snow conditions
@andy from embsay, we’re in Les Gets, and haven’t worked out how to get over the other side not on skis yet! Any top tips gratefully received.
latest report
@Timmycb5, people seem to be getting the regional bus to Morzine.
latest report
Think my last question got lost in the thread - anyone got recommendations for confidence building blues based on current conditions please?
snow report
MotownJunk wrote:
Think my last question got lost in the thread - anyone got recommendations for confidence building blues based on current conditions please?

Only once been in chatel bzt my daughter was really happy with the blues oder pre la joux
ski holidays
@MotownJunk,

Start with Proclu.

Then…

Prolays which is a bit steeper.

It’s a wide blue that loops from Avoriaz down to Linderets.
latest report
Thanks both! Cool
latest report
well, i have to accept that i am not so excited with this trip. Mostly because i know that with the same amount of money i had the opportunity to book again in Plagne Bellecote. But this was a unique opportunity to visit Avoriaz, so...take it as it is and thats all...
I hope that this situation will prevent some people from skiing and it will be not so crowded as it is usually is...
latest report
Proclou is good, for sure, and the SuperMorzine bit just below it when it's open.

Not so sure I'd recommend Prolays though. It criss-crosses over several other runs which make for some busy sections, people moving in all directions and TBH it's not always easy to know which way you want to go, with several of the variants containing tricker sections, especially if you make a mistake and go down the run to Brochaux where there's a very 'red' section towards the bottom.

A more confidence-building one from the same place would be to stick to skier's left from the top of the Proclou chair, with a nice wide tree-line run taking you down to Lindarets, or if you turn left on it dropping you onto the home run down to Ardent while avoiding the all the poling across the flat area of Lindarets itself. Combe de Floret is the piste name, it's just nice, and never busy.
snow conditions
turms2 wrote:
well, i have to accept that i am not so excited with this trip. Mostly because i know that with the same amount of money i had the opportunity to book again in Plagne Bellecote. But this was a unique opportunity to visit Avoriaz, so...take it as it is and thats all...
I hope that this situation will prevent some people from skiing and it will be not so crowded as it is usually is...

I thought Avoriaz was looking comparatively good to other resorts - or are you more worried about how busy it will be?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy