Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil 2023/2024 - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc.

Poster: A snowHead
[img][/img]
michaelf wrote:
turms2 wrote:
well, i have to accept that i am not so excited with this trip. Mostly because i know that with the same amount of money i had the opportunity to book again in Plagne Bellecote. But this was a unique opportunity to visit Avoriaz, so...take it as it is and thats all...
I hope that this situation will prevent some people from skiing and it will be not so crowded as it is usually is...

I thought Avoriaz was looking comparatively good to other resorts - or are you more worried about how busy it will be?

yes it look much better as the other resorts in PDS, but not what i was expected.
To be clear here : i didnt expect 50cm fresh powder every night etc
But the normal conditions for End of March , Start of April....and definitely not rain at all as meteociel prognosed for next Sunday, and at least fully snow coverage in the village.
I think thats the beauty in Avoriaz.
From a skiing perspective it is not a problem, but the reason i booked in Avoriaz is to have this feeling

I really cannot figure out how crowded will be. Of course everyone from Chatel or Morzine etc will want to go to Avoriaz, but on the other hand, many who booked last minute, probably wanted somewhere higher, and many one-day skiers will not come with such conditions

https://ibb.co/vBFyWw8

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 22-03-24 14:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
turms2 wrote:

I really cannot figure out how crowded will be. Of course everyone from Chatel or Morzine etc will want to go to Avoriaz,

Morzine, sure, but then that's pretty much normal, but both sides of Châtel (i.e. the Linga-Pre la Joux-Plaine Dranse area and Super Châtel) are still giving great skiing, so I don't see anyone wanting to flock over from there to Avoriaz.

Stop being so pessimistic - the snow will be great, it won't be too crowded, you'll have a great time.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
turms2 wrote:

I really cannot figure out how crowded will be. Of course everyone from Chatel or Morzine etc will want to go to Avoriaz,

Morzine, sure, but then that's pretty much normal, but both sides of Châtel (i.e. the Linga-Pre la Joux-Plaine Dranse area and Super Châtel) are still giving great skiing, so I don't see anyone wanting to flock over from there to Avoriaz.

Stop being so pessimistic - the snow will be great, it won't be too crowded, you'll have a great time.

jeah...maybe you are right...too much pessimism...
as long as the rain dissapears from the forecast will be great. Otherwise Aquariaz
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@turms2, It will not be busy - I go every year for Easter and never an issue other than the usual lift pinch points (ie. Tour). This year will be no different and you will enjoy as there is still cover above 1600m. Its the home runs that are affected which does not impact you as you are in Avoriaz. Enjoy the sun if its shining and hot and let the beer flow. Its my favouite week to ski as no-one takes it too seriously, and people going want to be there for what is on offer.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
+1 only Tour will be busy. Slushy moguls and sunshine, my favourite time of year.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
doddsie wrote:
+1 only Tour will be busy. Slushy moguls and sunshine, my favourite time of year.

Mine too, so that’s Monday sorted. What about Sun, Tues, Weds, Thurs, Fri, etc etc…..?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Chaletbeauroc, Thanks, like the sound of that - nice, wide, tree lined and not busy is exactly what I was hoping for!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
zzz wrote:
doddsie wrote:

Mine too, so that’s Monday sorted. What about Sun, Tues, Weds, Thurs, Fri, etc etc…..?

Ski, Drink, Repeat...

Anyone fancy meeting up in Linderets week after next for a ski and beer in the sun?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well that's the end of a great week off skiing. Not wintery wonderland but the pistes skied great before a long lunch in hot sun and then mucking about with the kids in the afternoon on the slushy empty runs. I don't know if you will even be able to get across to morzine from les gets after today.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just finished 2 weeks in Les Gets, the Morzine part of Morzine/Les Gets is now pretty much finished. Troncs lift was closed this morning cutting off Pointe de Nyon and the Nyon plateau. Fys was shut earlier in the week. Don't know how true but an ESF instructor told me that Morzine will be closing completely at the weekend. The main Les Gets pistes, Chavannes, the bowl and down to Perrieres have held up remarkably well and have given good spring morning skiing conditions with the added benefit of very quiet slopes as everyone believes that it's rubbish.

Piste bashers are doing a lot of work on the bottom of the Chavannes this evening, they are sacrificing the "easy way down" and moving as much snow as they can onto the bottom of the piste in the hope of keeping village access open to the end of the season.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Skied fornet bowl and around Avoriaz today. Didn’t queue for a lift all day. But yes, doom and gloom and best stay at home.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have been coming to Les Gets for a few years and I have never seen it so quiet even the town and bars seem unusually quiet.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ozboy wrote:
zzz wrote:
doddsie wrote:

Ski, Drink, Repeat...

Anyone fancy meeting up in Linderets week after next for a ski and beer in the sun?

week after next = the first week of April?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[/quote]
week after next = the first week of April?[/quote]

Yes
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just left and is is hammering down with rain and doesn't look like snow up high Eh oh!
snow report
mikeelsa wrote:
Just left and is is hammering down with rain and doesn't look like snow up high Eh oh!

Just about to leave. Still raining hard and now Thunder.
snow conditions
I Will be driving up to Avoriaz this afternoon around 2pm. I would appreciate it if anyone could give me an update on road conditions close to resort around that time. I’ve little experience driving in snow so I would be tempted to travel up via prodains cable car if driving conditions are bad.
latest report
Snowing at 1500m now and starting to settle. I think Cham-Météo have lost the plot again?? Calling 40-50cm at 1500m over the next couple of days! Sweet if they are right!!

Road to avoriaz will be fine - they keep it ploughed and forecast is lighter precipitation mid part of day plus it was 17C here yesterday afternoon so I can’t imagine ground temps are cold enough to allow large build up of snow on the tarmac.
snow report
Been persisting it down here this morning, also 1500m. Temperature still well above freezing, currently 6deg at the house, looked like it was rain as high as we can see, around 2000m. Now bright and partly sunny.

I'm thinking the forecasts have got it wrong, TBH. They're still showing 10cm of snow expected this morning snowHead
ski holidays
Ozboy wrote:

week after next = the first week of April?[/quote]

Yes[/quote]

I will be in avoriaz this week...maybe we can arrange something, but i am with the Kids and i do not know exactly how will be our Programme
Where exactly do you mean? And when

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 23-03-24 13:14; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@Chaletbeauroc, Meteo Blue was correct and they also cancelled the concert scheduled for Morgins today due to rain. Temps will drop and snow coming this evening.

latest report
Ozboy wrote:
@Chaletbeauroc, Meteo Blue was correct and they also cancelled the concert scheduled for Morgins today due to rain.

Yeah, I'm hearing (and seeing, if I can be bothered to look) the helicopters taking down all the stage set that they lifted up to the top of Foilleuse on Tuesday. Shame.
snow report
Temps dropping quickly and some ice formed very quickly on piste above about 1800 on rain saturated snow.

Some fresh has fallen from about same altitude but minimal and very windy with a bit of hail in there too. Viz has been terrible high but improving now…
ski holidays
Avoriaz resort webcam looks clear, either rain or rain stopped.
ski holidays
A fresh foot of snow for Avoriaz tomorrow?
https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/week/avoriaz_france_3035648
latest report
Snow&skifan wrote:

And again on Thursday? If only… Very Happy

How accurate is the Meteoblue forecast? Everywhere I check suggests something different
snow conditions
Had a good first day in and around Lindarets today. Was the wife’s first day back on skis in a couple of years so took it easy on the green (Lecherette) and Combe a Floret, doing a few laps on each. The weather was gusty with hail stones/ice pellets at one point but it cleared up around lunch time. We had a couple of hours with an instructor and did some runs off Brochaux, probably the best snow of the day.

Conditions were more than acceptable but it was cutting up by early afternoon as there hadn’t been any kind of overnight freeze. Lecherette by lunch time too was looking scrappy on the long flat section.

All in, happy with the conditions given the doom and gloom occasionally handed out. And it’s always a good day in the mountains.
snow conditions
MotownJunk wrote:
Snow&skifan wrote:

And again on Thursday? If only… Very Happy

How accurate is the Meteoblue forecast? Everywhere I check suggests something different

I was advised by the ITK Snowheads that meteoblue over the short term (5 days) tends to be reliable, as good as any website in interpreting the models at a granular (resort) scale. At that same time, to not rely on Bergfex or Snow-Forecast so much, both are prone to exaggerating low temperatures and coming ‘snow dumps’.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Light snow in Châtel and moderate snow on the pas de morgins, since a couple of hours.

Looking at the gfs, forecast, i would expect something like 5cm in Châtel, maybe 20cm at the top, by end Sunday.

Thursday also looks like snow above 1500.

Nothing special but better than a poke in the eye...
snow report
About 5cm or so (judged by looking out the window so take numbers with a pinch of salt) at Lac Montriond level this morning so expecting a bit more up at Avoriaz.
snow conditions
In Avoriaz I understand there are public elevators to move between different levels. Where are these and are they marked on any maps? We are staying at top of route des crozats and would like a more convenient way to bring kids to village des enfants for lessons rather than circuitous road route if possible. When they can ski down it won’t be bad but my back is already sore thinking about carrying 4 sets of skis back every evening
snow conditions
About 10cm at 1100m in Les gets and still fluttering down
latest report
@martebart, The Acenseur Public in the Snow building goes from outside the Ski Avoriaz ski shop (50 yards from the VdE) to the top of Route de Crozats. You'll see the glass lift shaft from the VdE.
snow report
@Dashed, nice. Let’s hope it lasts through to next week!
latest report
Still snowing here in Morgins village. Starting slowly this morning, will be driving round to Pre la Jou after another coffee (and after clearing the snow off the car, almost forgotten what that's like). Supposed to clear up a bit later so should be a great afternoon.
ski holidays
martebart wrote:
In Avoriaz I understand there are public elevators to move between different levels. Where are these and are they marked on any maps? We are staying at top of route des crozats and would like a more convenient way to bring kids to village des enfants for lessons rather than circuitous road route if possible. When they can ski down it won’t be bad but my back is already sore thinking about carrying 4 sets of skis back every evening

I can feel you.
Find a backpack which has Places - straps for skis.
It solved my problem
snow conditions
@martebart get some ski straps on Amazon that let you carry skis like a shoulder bag.
ski holidays
It’s been snowing on and off in Avoriaz all morning, probably 20cm or slightly more settled. Snow all the way down to Morzine too. As it’s got colder too the pistes have firmed up well and are only getting choppy in the high traffic spots. Still downloading on Zore though, but hopeful they might open Super Morzine tomorrow. Those coming out this week should have a good week.
ski holidays
martebart wrote:

This map has the lifts in red arrows.
https://ibb.co/kJ7qprY
latest report
Thanks Snowheads! Lifts and escalators are a real game changer for the family!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy