Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil 2023/2024 - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc.

Poster: A snowHead
kitenski wrote:
franga wrote:
The Les Gets webcams are a bit grim this morning ...

Hopefully they won't be as grim as they were in January 23 by January 24!

Well ... you say that ... still had a good time (in Avoriaz, Plaine Dranse and PLJ) last January and will be back in January 2024. For the sake of all the businesses (large and small) across the whole area I really hope that this will be a good season.

We just need a couple of pre-Christmas storms to roll in ...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Agreed @franga - we arrived on (I think) 5 Jan this year and whilst Pleney side was non-existent we had a great time up in Avoriaz. It’s looking like the temps are dropping after the weekend and then some snow on and off next week.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
andy from embsay wrote:
Agreed @franga - we arrived on (I think) 5 Jan this year and whilst Pleney side was non-existent we had a great time up in Avoriaz. It’s looking like the temps are dropping after the weekend and then some snow on and off next week.

Can't find the fingers and everything else crossed emoji ...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Appreciate we are only in November, however, I have booked a trip to Morzine in early March, but just wanted to know how easily accessible the Avoriaz skiing is, for general exploring or potentially out of necessity. Looks like there are plenty of lifts up there, but just wondered how long it takes to get there and get down at the end of the day to. TIA
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@winterstickboarder,

It’s pretty easy.
The free and very frequent (every 15min) ‘A’ bus takes you up to Prodains.

The free and frequent (every 30 min) ‘M’ bus takes you to Ardent

Or the ‘super Morzine’ telecabine departs from the centre of Morzine and you can access the Avoriaz slopes from either of these methods.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@winterstickboarder, we tend to go up from Prodains and come back via Super Morzine - not entirely sure why!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Using the Super Morzine is the best option for me. Better than sitting on a bus and skiing the green run in between lifts eases the legs in at the start of the day.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Roscoe, we get the U bus into town from Pied de la Plagne so jump off at the roundabout then straight on an A bus that comes past there (usually empty) - the 5-10 mins on the A bus to Prodains is often less than the time it takes to queue at Prolou! It’s just a shame the Tour lift is so prone to queues for getting over to Lindarets.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
andy from embsay wrote:
@Roscoe, we get the U bus into town from Pied de la Plagne so jump off at the roundabout then straight on an A bus that comes past there (usually empty) - the 5-10 mins on the A bus to Prodains is often less than the time it takes to queue at Prolou! It’s just a shame the Tour lift is so prone to queues for getting over to Lindarets.

If the Tour queue is big (when isn't it?) you can always take the Plateau chair (though it’s a bit slow) and then skate across the two beginners drag lifts to the Chapelle drag lift up the side of the snow park, then straight down into Lindarets. That’s our route back to Chatel if we don’t fancy the Tour scrum.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tour is further slowed by family groups trying to ride the same chair, as well as skiis getting tangled on the inside of the queue as it bends to the left. The best way to approach is to go single file and fill the large available spaces to the right / outside of the queue by the netting - much quicker that way even at its busiest.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, have done that@DJL, but as you say it’s horribly slow either way. Didn’t there used to be a sneaky way via soem escalators or something?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I agree with @Ozboy about the quickest way to navigate the Tour queue, but its still a pain.

@andy from embsay you're right about a route through the elevators but I've never done it. Fear getting trapped forever in the concrete labyrinth Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@DJL, as we learned last year on the opening weekend Tour will be extra horrid because it’s the main way for people borrowing test skis from the stands on the plateau to get them back there - so perhaps Super M and Proclou for us that weekend, and head over to Chatel for the day.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have read on Remontee Mechanique forum that Plateau is next project in line to be upgraded in a season or two to a gondola, hopefully to the ridge, which will remove a lot of stress from Tour.

Is it possible to ski to bottom of Proclou from the top of Stade?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ozboy wrote:
I have read on Remontee Mechanique forum that Plateau is next project in line to be upgraded in a season or two to a gondola, hopefully to the ridge, which will remove a lot of stress from Tour.

Is it possible to ski to bottom of Proclou from the top of Stade?

That’d be cracking (there was talk of a gondola from the top of Super M right up to the ridge, which was mooted as an alternative to the now abandoned gondola up the Prodains valley).

No - from Stade you either end up back at the Place Jean Vuarnet (where the Prodains Express arrives), over to Fornet or back down to Prodains - pretty sure you’re too low for the plateau where the run to Proclou goes from.
snow conditions
DJL wrote:
If the Tour queue is big (when isn't it?) you can always take the Plateau chair (though it’s a bit slow) and then skate across the two beginners drag lifts to the Chapelle drag lift up theside of the snow park, then straight down into Lindarets. That’s our route back to Chatel if we don’t fancy the Tour scrum.

I confess I've never tried that route, but certainly sounds like a good option. TBH I try to avoid being there and needing to go back in that direction at critical times, ( unless I'm teaching, of course, when we can use the Ski School line, which is actually two lanes on that particular lift) but on those occasions when I might be I'll certainly consider this one for the future.

My more usual return route would be to avoid Avoriaz village completely, taking the Cubore chair over to above Lindarets. Not usually too busy and a much higher ski/lift time ratio. Also allows return to either Morgins or Linga/Chatel,

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 27-11-23 14:26; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Good call @Chaletbeauroc, we also use that sometimes. Though Cubore seemed to be shut a lot last winter for some reason.
ski holidays
andy from embsay wrote:
Good call @Chaletbeauroc, we also use that sometimes. Though Cubore seemed to be shut a lot last winter for some reason.

Yes, I had typed but accidentally deleted that it's one to check out in advance, as it's more prone to closure than some others, Was closed quite a lot last season, which I think was mostly wind-related although my wife favoured the idea that the red runs down from it on the Lindarets side being closed was a cause, not an effect, of the lift closure, IYSWIM.
ski holidays
I've just heard that Avoriaz is now planning to open a week earlier due to the favourable snow conditions. Anyone with boots on the ground able to confirm/deny??
ski holidays
It’s not particularly “favourable” at the moment so I suspect they’ll wait and see what Thursday/Friday brings. Thursday could be a bit messy (FL up at 2000m+ and rain), so a lot depends on when it cools down and therefore what falls is rain or snow. Morzine Source mag on FB are usually pretty timely with news like this and I’ve not seen them mention anything (but it’s still 3 weeks before the official opening).
snow conditions
andy from embsay wrote:
It’s not particularly “favourable” at the moment so I suspect they’ll wait and see what Thursday/Friday brings. Thursday could be a bit messy (FL up at 2000m+ and rain), so a lot depends on when it cools down and therefore what falls is rain or snow. Morzine Source mag on FB are usually pretty timely with news like this and I’ve not seen them mention anything (but it’s still 3 weeks before the official opening).

My source was 2nd hand from a Morzine native (we actually rented their chalet last year).

I've booked a quick weekend from 14th to 17th so keeping a keen eye on the forecasts.
latest report
@Roscoe,

As
@andy from embsay,

Says keep an eye out on Morzine Source social media feed.

My hope is for a ‘limited opening’ on the 9th and 10th December.

Fingers crossed.
latest report
Official opening is 15th anyway, so Avoriaz (and the Plaine Dranse area in Chatel) will be open when you arrive. A lot depends on what happens later this week to the snowline. We were in Morzine over the weekend (a dusting in the village) and we didn’t hear anything about early opening, but our contacts are just people in the pub!
snow report
andy from embsay wrote:

Chatel planning to open PLJ area on weekend 9-10 December as pr their web site. I don't think Thursday / Friday will be too bad as the FL seems to be on a downward trend and it then drops quickly where we should see the canons working overtime.
snow conditions
Ozboy wrote:
andy from embsay wrote:

Chatel planning to open PLJ area on weekend 9-10 December as pr their web site. I don't think Thursday / Friday will be too bad as the FL seems to be on a downward trend and it then drops quickly where we should see the canons working overtime.

The wettest bit looks to be when it’s still warmish, but I guess that can fluctuate a lot. I’d forgotten PLJ was open 9/10 - Avoriaz seems to be opening a week later than usual this year.
snow conditions
Your info is correct@Roscoe!

snow conditions
Ozboy wrote:
I don't think Thursday / Friday will be too bad

No. Don't agree. Saturday will be a complete write off for anyone thinking of heading up for the first lifts of the season. Sunday much better, pistes will be compact. Spread the word. Everyone go Sunday.
ski holidays
andy from embsay wrote:
Your info is correct@Roscoe!

Cool
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
polo wrote:
Ozboy wrote:
I don't think Thursday / Friday will be too bad

No. Don't agree. Saturday will be a complete write off for anyone thinking of heading up for the first lifts of the season. Sunday much better, pistes will be compact. Spread the word. Everyone go Sunday.

Toofy Grin
snow report
About a foot in town, balcony collapse imminent at 1250, and if I’m not mistaken the sun is trying to come out

snow report
@polo, I’m always amazed at the difference in snowfall between Morzine and Les Gets. We have max 4cm in my garden. We seemed to be right on the snowline last night with the precip’ switching between rain and snow. I guess the extra 178m altitude makes a difference, plus (perhaps), the Les Gets valley orientation?
ski holidays
@zzz, yep amazing how often the snowline is between the two, but more of a closed valley and aspect helps. I drove thru Morzine around 11, dry, turned the corner to LG and snowing. Still dribbling 2 hours later but pointless cold dandruff now, waiting for a break
ski holidays
Forget the sun, it’s wet snow now, you’d have to be mad to go out in this, so I should have the place to myself

Garden 1250, farm 1350, rest 1450

snow conditions
Some pics of the new La Foilleuse gondola at Morgins that replaces the old 3 seater chair. The new lift will be fully automated, self-service without attendants!!

Pics from user “marcskie” posted on the Remontées Mécaniques forum.

https://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=38822&st=40

snow report
Moon over Mont Chery

snow report
@Ozboy, thanks for the link about the new Morgins lift. We're planning three weeks in Chatel, in January before heading to Morgins for a week. Looking forward to easier access to the Champoussin and Les Crozets areas.
ski holidays
Is there now a more reliable forecast for tomorrow with regards to the FL?
snow conditions
@Roscoe, all the local forecasts are suggesting heavy rain to 2000m (0C isotherm 2200m) for most of Thursday, before dropping to 1100m on Friday. There seems a pretty broad consent for Thursday; the variance is how much snow will fall on Friday. Chamonix Meteo say 20-30cm, others suggest a lot less.
snow report
Late Friday afternoon for the real temp drop, hopefully 10-20cm lower down, but meanwhile, cannons been on for 24hrs, bashers and lift maintenance are flat out, looks like they are trying to put up a fight against 50mm rain. Heard blasting and a helicopter earlier

latest report
zzz wrote:
@Roscoe, all the local forecasts are suggesting heavy rain to 2000m (0C isotherm 2200m) for most of Thursday, before dropping to 1100m on Friday. There seems a pretty broad consent for Thursday; the variance is how much snow will fall on Friday. Chamonix Meteo say 20-30cm, others suggest a lot less.

So could tomorrow potentially completely wipe out the dump of the last few days? Or will there only be a slight impact with the damage repaired on Friday depending on how much snow arrives?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy