Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil 2023/2024 - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc.

Poster: A snowHead
https://www.avoriaz.com/en/discover/maps--guide/resort-map/

Downloadable PDF showing the elevators and escalators
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Back last night for a short work interlude before heading back for a week on Thursday. Warm and sugary but still plenty of fun to be had through the week. Les Crosets/Champery were good in the morning, Plaine Dranse and higher bits of Lindarets ok until early pm too. Tetras was closed (unsurprisingly) and we took the gondola down to Prodains after one run down Crôt. Took Tuesday off as it was awful, but the rain didn’t seem to do too much damage where there was decent snow cover, but lower slopes were bare again.

Then yesterday - what a transformation! I guess 10-15cm of lovely fresh snow and much lower temperatures meant an epic last day (and even the run to Prodains was fun at the end!). Got some fresh tracks down the xmas tree run above the blue down to Lindarets, which is unusual as it’s normally tracked out pretty quickly.

Looks like more snow Tuesday/Wednesday then things get more marginal next week - still some signs that white stuff could fall rather then the see-through wet variety.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Heading out to Avoriaz on the 30th for a week so keeping an eye on updates here. Are there any good threads detailing good places to eat / drink on the mountain (thinking family friendly 'cheap' eats rather than Folie Douce / 30EUR tartiflette vibes!)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
michaelf wrote:
Heading out to Avoriaz on the 30th for a week so keeping an eye on updates here. Are there any good threads detailing good places to eat / drink on the mountain (thinking family friendly 'cheap' eats rather than Folie Douce / 30EUR tartiflette vibes!)

ok, thats is also for me interesting... Little Angel
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@turms2, Lots of good reasonable places in the Linderets plateau by the lifts. There is a snack bar under the Ardent top station, a Creperie further along near the Linderets chair. Restaurant Les Alpages has a reasonable self-service inside (next to ESF Montriond). On the Chatel side, in Plaine Dranse, there is Marmottes creperie, hidden behind Chez Crepe, which is good value and also the Restaurant Bar Plaine Dranse that has a good and reasonable self-service and they also serve baguette sandwiches behind the bar.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@michaelf, Changabang in Avoriaz for burgers, wraps etc. I’ve just been out as a group of 5 - I paid for everything on my € account and split everything 5 ways, and lunch on the hill was within a few € of €20 each for a main and a drink every day. Fantaski at the top of Pierre Longue in Plaine Dranse is reasonable for burgers/salads etc too - but I’ve been surprised by how it was pretty much €100 for 5 every day wherever we went.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not weather related but there’s been a big fire in the centre of Morzine just up from Bar Robinson on Rue du Bourg. Shops and apartments above it completely gutted and the roof gone. Looks nasty, hope everyone got out ok as was apparently at 1am.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@bigtuboflard, everyone out ok.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Staying in chatel, anyone recommend a route to keep me busy for 2/3 hours tomorrow? Going from super chatel and need to be back within 3ish hours.

Got the morclan lift today but found the red at the top tricky, hoping it was day one jitters but wasn't overly confident coming down it.

Thanks Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@EnzoSnow, take the bus to Linga and work your way across Combes, Cornebois, Chaux Rosees and Rochassons lifts were there really good reds and varied routes to keep you busy. You could reverese the route to get back or ski down to Pre La Joux car park for the village bus if you feel the top of Echo Alpin will be too steep for the return journey to Linga. If you are happy skiing down the top of Linga, you could ski all the way back to Super Châtel. The reds off Morclan are difficult and should really be graded black so don’t be too discouraged.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for that, I'll give that a go so. I'll try ski the whole way to avoid the bus I think!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
EnzoSnow wrote:
Thanks for that, I'll give that a go so. I'll try ski the whole way to avoid the bus I think!

You'll need to take at least one bus; either to start at the Gabelou lift from Lac de Vonnes, which then just drops you down to Linga anyway, or to Linga or all the way to Pre la Joux. I'd tend towards the latter, take the PlJ lift to get you straight up into the Combes/Cornebois area and give more time for the various runs around there, Plaine Dranse and over to Lindarets.

The only way to avoid the bus is to first take the telecabine up the Super Chatel, then a brief ski (like a couple of 100m) to take the chairlift down to Vonnes, thence the Gabelou lift towards Linga. A complete waste of time - you'd need to start heading back as soon as you got there.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@turms2, my favourite in Lindarets is Mamo’s Cafe towards the goat village side. Great crepes and galettes. I also like Fantaski, Chez Crepy and the Self service at Plaine Dranse all as recommended above!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
EnzoSnow wrote:

You'll need to take at least one bus; either to start at the Gabelou lift from Lac de Vonnes, which then just drops you down to Linga anyway, or to Linga or all the way to Pre la Joux. I'd tend towards the latter, take the PlJ lift to get you straight up into the Combes/Cornebois area and give more time for the various runs around there, Plaine Dranse and over to Lindarets.

The only way to avoid the bus is to first take the telecabine up the Super Chatel, then a brief ski (like a couple of 100m) to take the chairlift down to Vonnes, thence the Gabelou lift towards Linga. A complete waste of time - you'd need to start heading back as soon as you got there.

It is not possible to ski from Super Chatel to Linga as the run down from top of Gabelou down to Linga is closed. Hoping they are saving what snow is left on the run after the snowfalls to reopen next week.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Ozboy, I saw that it was closed on Sunday, although we drove up to PlJ so were not affected, but a quick check on the live piste map shows it marked as open today.
ski holidays
@Chaletbeauroc, Someone on the ground in Chatel reported today that it’s closed despite the piste status. Could you let us know next time you go past?
snow report
@Ozboy, Won't be until the weekend at least. Gabelou is still running but there's no way of knowing if that's letting people up, in which case the piste must be open, or only in operation for downloading.
ski holidays
@Chaletbeauroc, Chatel notified it is only open for downloading to transport skiers from Linga to SC.
ski holidays
@Ozboy, cool. Can you post a link, as I failed to find it and it's clearly an information source of some value.
ski holidays
@Chaletbeauroc, Châtel official posted on IG

snow report
FFS. There's a whole bloody website with lift and piste openings, but no, rather than putting it there they have to use sodding instagram. I had even tried facebook, much as I hate it, given that it was the chosen communication route when Gabelou was broken last year.

Thanks anyway.
latest report
@Chaletbeauroc, There is the lumiplan page if you don't use social media.
snow report
@rjs, Thx. Also confirms the bottom of Leiche, back to Linga, is still closed.
latest report
@rjs, Thanks and will bookmark - whats is Lumiplan as first I hear of it?
snow report
so, i booked a night in Alpina Hotel in Les Gets , after a good discount they gave me.
Especially, because they gave my the option to park tha car there, and use the skiroom, even if our room is not ready.

However i cannot figure out from the google maps, how far is it from the lifts
Shall i park there and walk till the lifts? or better to find a parking place in the parks near the lifts.

Except that, if i park in the parking of the perieres express, is the slope to go further to Les Chavannes open? Because the interaktiv map has this piece as "closed"
latest report
Ozboy wrote:
@turms2, Lots of good reasonable places in the Linderets plateau by the lifts. There is a snack bar under the Ardent top station, a Creperie further along near the Linderets chair. Restaurant Les Alpages has a reasonable self-service inside (next to ESF Montriond). On the Chatel side, in Plaine Dranse, there is Marmottes creperie, hidden behind Chez Crepe, which is good value and also the Restaurant Bar Plaine Dranse that has a good and reasonable self-service and they also serve baguette sandwiches behind the bar.

Fantaski in Plaine Dranse is also "excellent" (it's all relative) value - they do cracking burgers (extensive menu) for a reasonable price ... apologies, just noticed that others have also recommended it.
snow report
turms2 wrote:
so, i booked a night in Alpina Hotel in Les Gets , after a good discount they gave me.
Especially, because they gave my the option to park tha car there, and use the skiroom, even if our room is not ready.

Shall i park there and walk till the lifts? or better to find a parking place in the parks near the lifts.

Except that, if i park in the parking of the perieres express, is the slope to go further to Les Chavannes open? Because the interaktiv map has this piece as "closed"

I think the Alpina is just above the Crychar and the Christiania at the front neige - I would have thought it's a short downhill walk (it's a mellow slope - avoid the MTB track and just walk on the field / I presume there's no snow at village level now) to the Chavannes bubble / chair.
ski holidays
franga wrote:
turms2 wrote:

I think the Alpina is just above the Crychar and the Christiania at the front neige - I would have thought it's a short downhill walk (it's a mellow slope - avoid the MTB track and just walk on the field / I presume there's no snow at village level now) to the Chavannes bubble / chair.

indeed. It is above these two. I dont expect to ski till the lift, but i do not understand how far it is.
The other option is to park at the Perieres Express. But i cannot figoure out if it is possible to ski to the other side (Chavannes etc)
Ok, there is also the Parking near Chavannes, but i suppose will be full
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andy from embsay wrote:
@michaelf, Changabang in Avoriaz for burgers, wraps etc. I’ve just been out as a group of 5 - I paid for everything on my € account and split everything 5 ways, and lunch on the hill was within a few € of €20 each for a main and a drink every day. Fantaski at the top of Pierre Longue in Plaine Dranse is reasonable for burgers/salads etc too - but I’ve been surprised by how it was pretty much €100 for 5 every day wherever we went.

Agree - Definitely worth getting a burger from Changabang at some point.
snow report
Changabang very good vegeterian / vegan options and can normally find a seat.
ski holidays
turms2 wrote:
franga wrote:
turms2 wrote:

indeed. It is above these two. I dont expect to ski till the lift, but i do not understand how far it is.
The other option is to park at the Perieres Express. But i cannot figoure out if it is possible to ski to the other side (Chavannes etc)

It's not far at all - maybe 10 mins max.

If you have a free space at the hotel I'd take it!
snow report
When me and the family are going to LG this weekend, it's likely that only 3 out of 5 of us will ski, but the other two will want to meet us (at the Grand Cry area) for lunch and possibly go for some walks from there too.

Is there a cheap ticket that I can pre load their lift passes with to allow the access to just the red bubble car?
snow conditions
franga wrote:
turms2 wrote:
franga wrote:
turms2 wrote:

It's not far at all - maybe 10 mins max.

If you have a free space at the hotel I'd take it!

hm...ok, then will do so..Thanks
snow report
turms2 wrote:
so, i booked a night in Alpina Hotel in Les Gets ,

Really??

LG by James Coulson, on Flickr
snow report
thats my point. Are you allowed to go such a way? or you have to walk and make the circle from the other way (de la Turche - Rte du Front de Neige etc)? i followed this route in google maps first person view and you walk through the parking from Spa Crychar.
ski holidays
@turms2, yes, just turn left out of Alpina towards Crychar and you can access the Chavannes. There’s people skiing down the bottom of the Chavannes literally as I type, so you should be fine. You should be able to ski back to that point later too, leaving you a very short walk back to Alpina.

Even if there was no snow, the walk down Rue de La Turche and across to the main lifts really isn’t that far. About 5 mins I think.

As for the Perieres car park, yes you can absolutely get from there to the Chavannes on skis via the bowl, but getting back might be a bit more sketchy. The bottom of Mezelez is skiable right now but might not last.
snow conditions
Timmycb5 wrote:
@turms2, yes, just turn left out of Alpina towards Crychar and you can access the Chavannes. There’s people skiing down the bottom of the Chavannes literally as I type, so you should be fine. You should be able to ski back to that point later too, leaving you a very short walk back to Alpina.

Even if there was no snow, the walk down Rue de La Turche and across to the main lifts really isn’t that far. About 5 mins I think.

As for the Perieres car park, yes you can absolutely get from there to the Chavannes on skis via the bowl, but getting back might be a bit more sketchy. The bottom of Mezelez is skiable right now but might not last.

ok, thanks. I will definitely go to Alpina and left the car there (since they agreed with that, and i could use also the ski room for changing etc)
For me personally even from the Rue de La Turche its not a big deal. But i will be with the kids Confused
snow report
@turms2, there’s a free bus stop just a few metres from Alpina that will take you to the lifts (just one stop), that will save the kids walking down. But on the way back, you would have to stay on the bus for the entire circuit (which takes about 20 minutes) to get back later.

If the Chavannes is still open. Skiing down from, and back to, Crychar is the best option all round.
snow conditions
Timmycb5 wrote:
@turms2, there’s a free bus stop just a few metres from Alpina that will take you to the lifts (just one stop), that will save the kids walking down. But on the way back, you would have to stay on the bus for the entire circuit (which takes about 20 minutes) to get back later.

If the Chavannes is still open. Skiing down from, and back to, Crychar is the best option all round.

according to the cams (at least today) you can ski down till Crychar
I suppose we will walk until the lift and ski down in order to go back to hotel
latest report
Team, can we have a conditions update please?

We turn up on Sunday for two weeks. Staying in Montriond as usual, but really hoping to ski the Les Gets side for a week before it closes...we often miss it at Easter.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy