Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil 2023/2024 - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc.

Poster: A snowHead
Quick question - kinda on this topic - I'm driving from Morzine to Les Arcs this Saturday: Google [i]et al/i] suggest via Sallanches, Megeve, and then down to Ugine / Albertville etc. Is this the best route on a change over day, or will the road through / over Megeve be a little slow with GVA coaches? Or do they come another way?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
snoozeboy wrote:

The free passes have always been a bit dubious. My swiss neighbours insist that they're country agnostic, but I know for sure that they used to get Megève day passes and I was told to my face at Châtel saem that megeve was just for swissers, at that time.

Who knows? Not the case now though, same free day offers wherever you buy it.

I think the free pass system has changed this year, maybe look here.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@rjs, That's something completely separate than the 5-day offers mentioned earlier, and seems somewhat contradictory, not only listing many more resorts but only showing 3 days in total. I wonder if it's still valid for next season? No mention of dates on the site, so it could even be out of date already. Anyone used it this season?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Arctic Roll, Megeve way is quicker but the roads are a a bit twisty if you have any travel sickness folks on board.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
IIRC there was another parallel deal between Haute Savoie resorts where season pass holders could buy a day pass at another resort at a discount rate. Does this ring a bell and is it still in place?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
@Arctic Roll, Megeve way is quicker but the roads are a a bit twisty if you have any travel sickness folks on board.

Exactly
Done the same route from samoens to la plagne and my daughter was not soooo excited with this route
Thank god she falls in sleep and i didnt have to clean the car

Btw some more New snow today in avoriaz
Seems a little bit better als saturday although there are many places with slushy snow
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Great skiing in Chatel today…. Woke up to a few cms of snow on balcony at 1260m but sadly had to drive to Aigle in Switzerland for 8:30 appointment to get bike serviced in anticipation of 23 deg this weekend. Started skiing at 11 and much of the powder was hardly skiied. 10-20 cms of not too heavy powder and deeper in pockets above Plane Dranse. Best day of the season. More snow forecast overnight.

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Ozboy, Les Gets was equally as spectacular this morning. I can only assume that the pistuers left some run purposefully unpisted (Campanule and Belle Mouille in particular) because they had about 1 foot of powder on them first thing. Never had as much fun at Easter out here snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Nadenoodlee, @turms2, thanks.
The alternative appears to be 100km or so further round the motorway - is that what you suggesting as the alternate to Megeve?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A cracking day yesterday - visibility not great but snow in great nick in Lindarets and Avoriaz. Warming up significantly at the weekend, but I think there’s enough snow to keep going for the last couple of weeks of the season - my last day skiing for this year today, but my daughters are out on 12/4 to ski and party - hopefully it’ll cool down enough after the weekend to give them some of the former - if not, I’m sure they’ll have fun doing the latter.

Links to Les Gets from Morzine have closed - we skied there on Saturday and getting back to Folliets was a 2m wide strip. I see the Morgins/Champoussin area has shut now, and I think Les Crosets closes at the weekend.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
"20cm+" , "1 foot of powder"?

These are all measurements using the "gentleman's metric system" I'm guessing.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@snoozeboy, more like an estimate. When I was skiing off the side of the piste yesterday, a side of the piste that was green on Monday, the snow was above the 3rd buckle on my ski boot. About a foot I reckon. This was taken yesterday at the top of La Rosta lift at about midday.

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tough day today…. Biblical rain to 1650m - blizzards above. Did a few laps of Starwars to Ardent bubble in order to enjoy the 6 mins of shelter on the way up and eventually gave up at lunchtime when kids finished their lessons. should be lots of good windblown pockets higher up tomorrow.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ozboy, I made the tactical decision to stay indoors today. Son needed to do GCSE revision and one of my daughters had 1st year uni assignments to get though anyway, so worked out well.

Hope the rain didn’t destroy everything for tomorrow and Friday morning* which will be my last ski for at least 10 months Sad

*only skiing Friday morning as I can’t see the snow in LG surviving the forecast 20c temps and full sun!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Timmycb5, There is a lot of snow above 1600 meters and it would take exceptional rain to destroy the base. Most local home runs coming down from 1600 meters are already ruined / closed. Chatel have managed to keep Linga and PLJ home runs open as they are north facing and see little direct sun and have very good snow making - they are however made of mashed potatoes.
ski holidays
And that the 23/24 season done for me. This last week was a LOT better than I expected it to be. And at times, it was actually better than when I was out in Jan/Frb.

Today, though, was a very short day. Up on the first lift (technically there were 3 lifts in front of us). Campanule and Eglatine were slush by 9:40 Shocked

Tulip and Ambersaille (sp) held up a bit longer. The Chavannes Express lift closed at midday and the run home was closed off as it was unskiable today.

I’m hoping, for the sake of the businesses in LG/Morzine than next year is a whopper.
latest report
Hi,

Unsure about an end of season trip to Avoriaz (14th-21st)...

1) Is the end of season in Avoriaz still on Sunday 21st April?
2) Heard about the rain last week; what's the conditions currently for the likes of Proclou, Parchets/Starwars now? Or is basically everything under 1800 done?

Thanks
snow conditions
@SixSixty, we were there last week and there is still a lot of snow above 1800 and in the Plane Dranse brown in Chatel - we were skiing Star Wars down to Ardent on the colder wintery days. The issue is heat turning snow into glue at all levels - best to ski early by midday and retire to long lunch / apres in the afternoon. End of season should weekend be a lot of fun.
snow conditions
We’ve done Easter here for the last 10 years. This year is the first time that we haven’t been able to ski down to Prodains, but probably the best snow above 1650 that we’ve had. The off-piste was really good last week on 3 of the days and was then followed by 4 days of 20c and sunshine. Even with the sun some slopes were still really good, junior did the Swiss wall about 20 times Sat/Sun, as it was in perfect shape. Going to the indoor golf tomorrow as it looks like snow again, then should be a good couple of days before we head home.
ski holidays
@SixSixty, We were there last week, the Super Morzine lift is now closed and the green next to Proclou was looking patchy to say the least on Friday. Proclou was holding up reasonably well, as was Combe a Floret. Parchets was not good IMO - mushy by early afternoon. Think I read / heard somewhere that the Lindarets lift is closing this week but Proclays is still open. That said, there's loads of snow there, its just a matter of getting out early as Ozboy said.
ski holidays
@MotownJunk, Les Linderets lift probably closing as there will not be sufficient traffic to justify keeping it open. I am guessing they will probably also close Mosettes early.
snow conditions
Mossettes is staying open for another week, but yes they always close Linderets early to save on labour, as it’s not necessary when it’s quiet
ski holidays
@doddsie, Were you there for Feb holidays and how did it compare to last week? As you mentioned earlier snow was really good for a couple of days and had lots of powder down Rhodedendrons and around new snow park and Renards.
snow report
Feb HT was the worst I’ve experienced, with the lack of snow below 1500m. Above was ok, but not great. Last week was probably better and Junior had 3 really good sessions with Pierre, whereas they didn’t manage anything very productive at HT.
snow conditions
@doddsie, thanks - must have been grim. Luckily for Chatel we dont care too much below 1500m as most of the skiing happens above this elevation. It's only the Super Chatel home run that is affected while Pre La Joux home run and Linga Stade are north facing and have very good snow making.
ski holidays
@Ozboy, lack of traffic makes sense, I wondered how much the numbers drop off in the last weeks of the season given the amount of snow left. Mind you the boulevard run down to Prodains wasn’t pretty later in the day last week, lots of people struggling in the moguls, wouldn’t fancy it as it gets slushier!
snow conditions
@MotownJunk, I am told the French generally don't holiday in the Alps after February which sees a big drop in numbers and resorts are kept open by Mogul hating Brits and Mogul loving locals. I love spring mogul skiing. Cant recall any significant queuing for lifts last week, other than Tour which took no more than 5 mins to get on a chair.
ski holidays
@Ozboy, The queues were next to non-existent, which was excellent!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ozboy @MotownJunk @doddsie

Thanks for the replies - Appreciate the update; Looks like it's snowed a little today.

Still tempted but the looks like a heatwave is due towards the weekend.
latest report
Season pass flash sale today from 0900 (10am UK time). Full PdS season pass (including 5 days in Verbier and 3 free days in any other Haute Savoie resorts) for €669 (+€59 insurance). Available from any of the PdS resort websites - sale runs til 1800 French time. Assuming it works the same next year this will also give access to a private sale for 25/26 passes which was €90 cheaper than flash sale prices this year. Which I think has to be one of the best value season passes anywhere.
ski holidays
@andy from embsay, Jerez
That is SO cheap!
Verbier early season discount pass is double that.
If you just skied your 6 free days in Verbier the rest of your PDS season would be just about free!
snow conditions
@rungsp, Yes the inclusion of Verbier makes it a no-brainer, especially for those in Chatel as the drive to the Le Chable car park and gondola is less than 1 hour by car. We normally go early season as they normally open their season before PDS.
snow report
And this year the addition of La Rosiere and La Thuile (espace San Bernardo) is a great addition.

https://en.portesdusoleil.com/portes-du-soleil-lift-passes/book-my-winter-package/season-flash-sales/
ski holidays
That is a stonking good deal isn’t it. When we last bought PDS passes, pre acquiring a dog so shorter days out and then selling our chalet, - we used to get three days elsewhere in Haute Savoie and three days in Switzerland at half price.
latest report
Indeed it is @Pamski - and if you have (or are) young people then the “Boarder Pass” at €459 plus insurance (until 30/9) is even stonkier. Thankfully I still have two of those…
snow report
I'm in! First time I've had a season pass so suitably excited.

Doing two one week trips never quite justified it. Now to plan a few long weekends. BA returns from London for 10000 Avios +£35 quite attractive.
snow report
IIRC in the past PDS pass holders were able to obtain discounted day "discovery" passes at other Haute Savoie resorts. Does anyone have any clarification on this scheme and if its still available?
snow report
@andy from embsay, ah how kind - young people - no we are out the other end!! The rates we have paid vary so much place to place, country to country, still paying for me this winter at a senior rate, OH free, as we skied just France. Last couple of years in Italy and Austria there have just been small deductions.
snow conditions
Ozboy wrote:
IIRC in the past PDS pass holders were able to obtain discounted day "discovery" passes at other Haute Savoie resorts. Does anyone have any clarification on this scheme and if its still available?

Yes - ski decouverte - there’s a website. We had a great day at Flaine last year on it.

It’s any three days free (one visit per resort) and another three half price.

https://www.skidecouverte.com/
ski holidays
andy from embsay wrote:
Ozboy wrote:

Yes - ski decouverte - there’s a website. We had a great day at Flaine last year on it.

It’s any three days free (one visit per resort) and another three half price.

https://www.skidecouverte.com/

Amazing - thanks. We are currently tied to PDS during holidays for next season or so until our daughters finish their ESF medals (one is Bronze and other Silver) but may explore at other times.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy