Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil 2023/2024 - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc.

Poster: A snowHead
Wow. It’s looking white up in Avoriaz!

https://www.facebook.com/100064789143990/posts/730062635830035/?mibextid=rS40aB7S9Ucbxw6v
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Timmycb5, yeah, there's generally quite a lot of snow above 1,600 or so across the region.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Morzine Source mag suggesting that Avoriaz will open for early December weekends - the plan is 14/12 (with Morzine planned for 15/12). Plaine Dranse areas of Chatel slated for 9/10 December, so would be good if Avoriaz does open and the links are open too.

Possibly a bit previous as there looks to be possibly a warm day or two next week.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snow cannon running in Lindarets this morning - hopefully suggesting they’re not expecting next week’s warm-up to be too damaging.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@andy from embsay, or they're just testing it?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@under a new name, spoilsport. Eh oh!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Given we've had some decent snow over the last week, I thought I'd kick off with an anecdotal snow observation.

We were up at Avoriaz on 4th November 2022 sledging with small people and by way of comparison to yesterday, 8th November, there is definitely more snow up there this year. Although the promise in 2022 obviously melted away in the rain around Xmas, it remains an excellent start. The sun has disappeared today and it's raining again at LGT but the snow line looks to be around 1700m from what I can see from the comfort of my kitchen.

Météo France said this week that the second half of October has been the wettest on record and, if the snow continues, the early season base level could be "unprecedented".
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@fatmansan, I'd warrant there's a lot more snow above around 1,900m that in most years.

Trying to settle in Chamonix at the mo'
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@under a new name, go you go thing go!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Was doing some research for touring routes in Avoriaz tomorrow and I came across this video. Great quality footage from some of the higher lines in PdS.
Anyone know these guys? Mark McKellar and Geroge Treble

"A documentary ski film telling the story of the 2020/2021 winter season in the French Alps. During a chapter of lockdowns and lift closures, two ski instructors set about a challenge to hike, ski and film some of the most beautiful lines in the Chablais Alps."

http://youtube.com/v/2ZXCcNn0yU8?si=veABZ9huAUwL_LSP
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@polo, I must watch that - looks pretty epic. Mark McKellar's dad, Ian, if I'm not mistaken, used to run a chalet company Ski M&M, based out of Chatel? I don't know Mark but I used to bump into Ian all the time when I was repping.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@polo, nice find - really enjoyed the film and hope you find the same lines above Avoriaz tomorrow snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@polo, nice find - enjoyed that.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ozboy, I’d have to set off this evening Eh oh!

I’ll see how narly Crot / Prodains looks. Too early for anything risky, and write off the season or worse. Lack of talent aside.

@under a new name, Yeah think he mentioned his dad Ian
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
They made a number of films of different and pretty classic routes in the PDS over that winter. All of them really interesting. I particularly like their use of a drone, both for filming but also for checking out the conditions above them. That season, with the lifts being closed was, of course, a pretty epic snow season with good snow to low levels.
With regards to touring above Avoriaz, I think you’ll have a ball just touring up and around the Arare, Chavanette and Fornet areas. If you want to do something more interesting you could continue above the Arare and up towards the top of the Hauts Forts. I’m sure there’ll be a track in there by tomorrow morning; or just traverse into the Haut Fort blacks and ski one of those, although I reckon you’ll ruin your board if you drop below the level of the Machon lift! So maybe stop there and head back up to ski the Arare. Just a few thoughts.
Sadly I’m abroad until Sunday evening, by which point I suspect the snow might not be of the same quality. Ho hum.
latest report
@zzz, thanks but we never made it over.....too many people weren't ready, ie one still had summer tyres and got stuck, more delays. As it turned out it seemed to be poor viz for most of the day above 1700m anyway so we were happy to stay local.

Did 3 x 300m of climbing though so a good work out....Ranfoilly, Nauchet, Chavannes.
Sun came out briefly around 11 on the first hike from 1500m, but by 4 on the way back the snow lower down had already developed a crusty top, soon to be soaked either way.

snow report
@polo, sounds like a good choice. A few went up the back of Mont Chery, which looked to have a reasonable snow depth, even at the bottom. As you say, soon to be soaked.
ski holidays
@zzz, yep we had loads of fun, a lot of falling over, especially on Ranfoilly..... with the big dips and roads to cross in terrible viz...... won't go there again until it's pisted.
But Nauchets (red) and Chavannes blue down to 1250m were smooth as ever.

Anyway, not a conditions report here as it's all trashed, just a vid I made for the gang.....all in chronological order, starts and ends with sunshine on Chavannes, brutal at 1800, then down to the bowl, skinned back up Nauchet etc

Might be 10 days before we get snow again....some interest around 21-23 but haven't had a proper look at models, and will be away for the next week or so anyway.

http://youtube.com/v/nkoPefo7I4w?si=yTGnSAiynSeMR1i-
ski holidays
Cracking film @polo - is that done on an Insta360 jobby?
ski holidays
@andy from embsay, gopro 360, still getting used to it, I forgot to align the camera to be straight with the pole....which would give invisible stick view.
Anyway they are great for having tons of angles to pick, ie each clip do you want to face the camera down the hill or up the hill, or switch half way which is what I did on Nauchets. And you don't have to point it anywhere at all, just hold it and enjoy the slide. But yeah takes a lot time to go thru all the editing.

Hope you get something when you're out......w/e 24-25th?.....anything it possible, some intererting model runs, and mean temps good, but a long way out still

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 12-11-23 17:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@polo, yep, I’ve got the Insta version with an invisible stick. Haven’t quite got to grips with editing yet - partly because they only have a phone app - would be easier on a bigger screen!
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@polo, I must watch that - looks pretty epic. Mark McKellar's dad, Ian, if I'm not mistaken, used to run a chalet company Ski M&M, based out of Chatel? I don't know Mark but I used to bump into Ian all the time when I was repping.

Iain Closed M&M in 91 and started Avoriaz Alpine Ski School, one of the earliest Brit ski schools in France. He's still the owner and director. Mark grew up spending winters (and going to school) in Avoriaz and Morzine, and now teaches for his dad, as does George Treble. They're all rather good skiers (and teachers)!
snow report
polo wrote:

http://youtube.com/v/nkoPefo7I4w?si=yTGnSAiynSeMR1i-

Sick clip.

ETS remix link?

Shazam not playing ball.
latest report
@polo, nice work.

Maybe this will be the year I learn the names of some pistes…
ski holidays
Great vid Polo, your time synching audio to video paid off!
latest report
@shep, great info from you as always re. the local history

@Whitegold, my work here is done, got a gold star review Eh oh! , at least for the tune. I download and mix tons of choons, and for that one I don’t have the remix artists name. I’ll dig around but can probably send a mp3 link either way.

@Nadenoodlee, Thx, I don’t know many piste names, it’s all lifts to me, but the run to the skiers right of the Nauchet lift is one of the easiest access (and best value) red off piste runs anywhere that I’ve looked. Early season, as it will of course get bashed.
snow report
@shep, that’s nice to know. Iain was always extremely friendly - and he’s pretty handy on the skis Happy
snow report
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5mWZ6NTljYR1r_oVcZwnI73eVnahfnpf&si=W0V0wvnEXcSCAjwf

Link to their other films
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@polo, That video is a piece of beauty - love that powder run at 2mins30secs - thank you for sharing and I'm not even slightly envious!
snow report
@elefantfresh, could have been better Very Happy ....one of the skiers brought his new drone along but then didn't want to risk it in the poor viz.
He then bailed out just as it cleared up and missed the last 2 nice runs. Some horses just aren't thirsty enough.

Anyway, moving on the next snow, and I really need to get out of that bowl someday.....friday should see a few flakes but still think tues 21st on looks more hopeful. That's the next time I'm back on the plank all going to plan, so don't let me down wink
latest report
polo wrote:

@Whitegold I download and mix tons of choons, and for that one I don’t have the remix artists name. I’ll dig around but can probably send a mp3 link either way.

Thanks, man.

Have ripped the vid to MP3 Cool
snow conditions
zzz wrote:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5mWZ6NTljYR1r_oVcZwnI73eVnahfnpf&si=W0V0wvnEXcSCAjwf

Link to their other films

Sweet line down the chute.
ski holidays
@polo, keeping an eye on the webcams for the degree of damage today - tomorrow the height of the deluge though I think?
ski holidays
@andy from embsay, yep tomorrow is as bad as it gets, but thursday-friday also looks like starting with quite a high snowline
snow conditions
@polo, sweet vid, nice one.
ski holidays
Amazing video! snowHead
snow conditions

After the torrential rain of the last couple of days it’s snowing (lightly) again in Avoriaz. Looks to be a bit of snow-rain-snow for the next week then possibly something more sustained, at least in terms of lower temperatures.
snow conditions
The Les Gets webcams are a bit grim this morning ...
snow conditions
franga wrote:

It’s mid November though - plenty of time! Next week looks pretty hopeful above about 1500m.
latest report
franga wrote:

Hopefully they won't be as grim as they were in January 23 by January 24!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy