Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and Tignes-Val D'Isere (formerly Espace Killy) 2023/24. Useful links on Page 1

Poster: A snowHead
It's been raining since 5AM, just a hint that its turning to wet sleet in Lac - a day for cleaning the fridge.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Steve Angus wrote:
vipul wrote:
@chocksaway, @Steve Angus, do think that the 30% discount will be avail be to purchase on the 13th of April when I arrive or Do you think it is a short time offer and advise to purchase on line before i arrive

My understanding is that its a set offer so you could get when you are here yes. Thats just my understanding though!

Oof the offer has disappeared over the last day or so! Conditions look excellent for next week though, so they prolly pulled it as they are likely to have decent demand at the full price.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
But the offer is still there for the following week!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
based on the 13th April offer being pulled, then it's probably a good time to pull the trigger on the 20th Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Up early and a circuit between Olympic, Grand Pre and Toviere. Visibility poor but snow pretty good - 5cm wet fresh on hardback. Weather properly come in now and snowing in le Fornet. Tomorrow should be pretty good.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Coming out 17-24 and May look to book a private lesson. Know of Steve Angus but looks like he is moving home. Who do people recommend in Tignes.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@dan100, There are links to the local British ski schools on the first page.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well, it did start to snow at about 11 o'clock. But it's only light and the roads are still wet as I type. So a doff of the chapeau to those who braved the outdoors!

The snow will continue lightly until tomorrow morning when it will progressively clear - about coffee time. It will be about 8 degs colder than yesterday so another layer of clothes. The rain (below 1800m) may well return for a while after Happy Hour as the developing low over Corsica gives us an easterly wind for a while. The Avalanche risk is 3 with the chance of some big wet slides. On Thursday the heat returns with unbroken sunshine, it could well be 10 degs warmer tomorrow. Friday the same but add another 3 degrees. Saturday will be similar with a few fluffy clouds.

Off for a Steak Night out at Niurou.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@chocksaway, is that the pick for a steak restaurant in Tignes?
And good place for a pre dinner beer aside from Marmot Arms?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@sbooker, generally, otherwise you usually get the ubiquitous French entrecote. The other place is the Queue de Cochon which has a butchers cut on the menu, depends on the day what the cut is.

As for a drink, if you want noise The Loop on the Rosset Front, or The Moose further up the gallery from the Marmot Arms. If quiet and a chat is your thing, again QDC.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rjs wrote:
@dan100, There are links to the local British ski schools on the first page.

Thanks was looking for specific name but can try the ski schools
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@dan100, Gavin at TDC. Top BASI examiner and lovely funny bloke.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
And the Fillet Steak was excellent, as was the entirely dangerous Porto Spritz (Tawny Port, Cointreau and Tonic) - just so quaffable and alarmingly alcoholic!

Probably the weirdest day of the season. There was light snow early doors and then it started to clear as forecast as another snowHead and I set off. The air was damp and cold, but then mist blew up the Valley and obscured the view partially, then wholly. So there was a reasonable half hour, honest. The snow was peculiar, a frozen layer of rain/slush under a coating of half a cm of fresh snow below 2300m, above that was hard and bumpy, but as it warmed up we experienced almost everything. The less said about Leisse the better - frozen rutted bumps with softish snow in between and the odd lump of ice that had rolled onto the piste. We retired to the Corner to recover. The vis then got worse so we tried around Fontaine Froide - the pistes were OK. In the vain hope that it would clear, we lunched at the Marmottes and it didn't so round the Palet bowl and home. There was a lot of avalanche activity, including a large wet surface slide into Familial - as Wayne Watson said in his blog - low hanging fruit only today!

From the 21 April a Tignes-VDI pass will be €39 a day, partly to reflect the Fornet Sector is closing to allow work to strat on the Vallon Telecabine nouveau. As they are reutilising the same top and bottom stations they have to get rid of all the old kit. Pissaillas will remain open via the Up and Over and Col double Poma - or the 3000 drag and the Tunnel Piste - best of luck with that!

Okey Dokey - summers back tomorrow, but not after a little more snow perhaps this evening (especially in Le Fornet as the miniest of Retour D'Ests forms). It will be warmer at * AM than it is now. A good 8 degs warmer. The sun should be ut all day, so expect a slush fest back into the villages after lunch (earlier in Brev and Boisses). Firday will be the same plus another 3 degrees. Saturday - same as Friday plus 2 degs, there might be some fluffy clouds in the afternoon. Sunday, pretty much the same as Saturday. Again, watch out for the wet slides on sunny facing slopes as the snow will rehumidify quickly as its barely going to be below freezing even well up into the mountains overnight.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chocksaway wrote:
Well, it did start to snow at about 11 o'clock. But it's only light and the roads are still wet as I type. So a doff of the chapeau to those who braved the outdoors!

The snow will continue lightly until tomorrow morning when it will progressively clear - about coffee time. It will be about 8 degs colder than yesterday so another layer of clothes. The rain (below 1800m) may well return for a while after Happy Hour as the developing low over Corsica gives us an easterly wind for a while. The Avalanche risk is 3 with the chance of some big wet slides. On Thursday the heat returns with unbroken sunshine, it could well be 10 degs warmer tomorrow. Friday the same but add another 3 degrees. Saturday will be similar with a few fluffy clouds.

Off for a Steak Night out at Niurou.

Niurou is ace - had a lovely meal (great steaks, good wine list and service with a smile) with Mrs F back in August
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes, definitely a strange old day, @chocksaway, we spent much of it wondering what time you like to take coffee... One of our group did pop up above the clouds about 3pm to blue skies and cloud below on Rabotch. I'd lost patience by then and had retired to tuning edges and preparing roast dinner.
snow conditions
A quick update meantime on parking. One of my routes home is via "the fingernail" - a footpath running under a dyke from just above Tufs chairlift departure and under the southern Fingers (and above the Golf carpark and cinema). All closed today owing to being occupied by diggers (JCB variety). We think they're enlarging the Boucle Sud car park.
latest report
Hi @Chosksaway is col des ves likely to open next , it seems to have been closed for while now
latest report
Should open next season - major mechanical issue being fixed
latest report
Reporting back on a bit more detective work regarding yesterday's blocked route home... Firstly a correction, the parking concerned is Boucle Est, not Sud.

Looks like the groundworks have been started on a brand new car park on this site, over three levels and providing 650 spaces (though the existing 120 outdoor ones will be lost). The roof will be planted and part of it will provide access for skiers, walkers and piste bashers to get through, so hopefully I will still be able to ski home again next winter, once it's all finished.

The new spaces also replace 490 lost through building on the Grande Motte car park - which apparently will have more buildings on what's left of it. Some kind of leisure complex if the radio this morning was understood and is to be believed.
snow report
@bobski62, Prompted by your remarks, I had a look through the old 'parish magazines', I was missing the vital one, but after a trip to the Mairie, I discovered the old ones are online on the Marie website. That new parking should be ready for next winter and indeed we do lose some more of the Grande Motte carpark - but not to buildings but to an artificial footy pitch, some beach volleyball pitches and a petanque pitch - to give Val Claret a 'heart' in the Summer like Lac.

Well today was warm and sticky! As a group we headed to Le Fornet where there was a bit more new snow and before the sun got to it there was some really nice turns to be had. On the way there, Face was aleady a soft/slushy mogul hell by 1015. And as for the 'glue piste' back to Le Fornet Village at 1.30 Shocked . Tomorrow may be a day for downloading from the nice pistes on high. The off piste is going to have consolidated massively in this heat, its currently 17 degs on my balcony in Lac (in the shade).

As for tomorrow - a repeat of today but a couple of degs warmer. Saturday will be similar with a few fluffy clouds. Sunday - similar during the day with a few more clouds thickening through the afternoon ahead of Monday which will be windy with precipitation all day, rain to 23 or 2400m dropping a bit in the afternoon. As the high lifts will be closed due to high winds its going to be tricky.
ski holidays
Really hope these temperatures drop for next week!

We are coming out on Saturday for a week & I've been looking forward to it since last April! We are used to skiing in April & learn to expect anything it throws at us (shin deep powder & white outs last year, full week of blazing sunshine the year before), but the weather definitely has been worrying me this year! We'll have a blast whatever it does though.
snow report
Had dinner at Queue de Cochon last night. Impressive. The starter and main for 44 euro is a nice deal. Had the pig tail and duck with the green beans.
Thanks for the recommendation. Smile

And a shout out and recommendation for Snoworks. Euan and Sam have been brilliant. 475gbp for what is essentially 5 mornings of guiding is outstanding value. They’ve certainly gained themselves a repeat customer.

To all that live here you are lucky people. I’ll definitely be back.
snow report
Glad you've had such a super week @sbooker, and great to catch up with you for a few runs Monday, along with other Snoworks delegates. Sorry that the other days and afternoons were already spoken for. Enjoy Val Thorens!
snow conditions
A bit of a coincidence - Steve has just written the last report from Val as I type my last report from Tignes!

It was a glorious morning so I went out for a quick blast before starting the chores before leaving. In the second Tov Bubble, the first Funi and the first Cable Car - in pole position to be first down. It was fabulous - perfectly groomed corduroy until the bottom of Vanoise where it became a little firm. I did it in one as it was so quiet - thats 1346m vertical or 1 m more than Ben Nevis! Then it was a Bollin Tufs for a last coffee at Rosee Blanche and a chat with Yan. Then back home down Johan Trolles and the kit was in the washer by 11. The apartment now looks like Widow Twankies laundry as stuff is washed, cleaned and stowed. I also had a quick run in the car to The Lady of the Lake, on the way back up there has been a very large avalanche on the Eastern End of the Lavachet Wall - about 400m from top to bottom. The lift in our block broke yesterday - given all the toing and froing today its been a bit of a nuisance - but there is banging and clattering in the roof space so hopefully it will be fixed when I need to pack the car.

The weather - Tomorrow will be pretty much like today - maybe a bit of high cloud, but not a lot. Sunday - a sunny morning and perhaps a veil of high cloud in the afternoon. Monday - the temperature will drop by 10 degs and it will be a cloudy morning followed by light precipitation in the afternoon. The snowline will be around 2300m, but it will drop. Currently, only very light rain so it won't change the price of fish! It will also be windy enough to close the high lifts and maybe the links. The temperature drops another 5 degs on Tuesday and there currently looks like being snow showers all day - and quite a bit of wind. It might be a bit sleety below the Dam. For the rest of the week its sunshine and showers, but cold, so should be some nice snow around.

For the last few travellers, there is no forecast of road numbers tomorrow - so its going to be blissfully quiet. As for air travel, a bit windy up north in the UK and there might be a few shallow fog patches around Lyon, Grenoble and Chambery - but these should burn off before the first arrivals (of which there are not many).
snow report
@chocksaway, thanks for another season of entertaining and informative posts snowHead
ski holidays
Well I was going to report to readers that there are now some patches of road appearing on the runs down to Breviers. However, I feel I should report some other news. Mrs SL and I were just finishing a late picnic just below the Palafour when 2 snow borders appeared. So far so normal except one was carrying a large camera and the other was a rather scantily clad young lady with a minimalist bikini and was otherwise clad in bondage strapery and a leather dog helmet (£83.50 + p&p from all good suppliers). Whilst one is used to this kind of thing in surburbia, it is not the kind of thing one normally sees on the slopes of Tignes/Val, well at least since the authorities put an end to the final Funi shenanigans a few years ago. I didn’t know where to look - well I did, but one of the disadvantages of a ski helmet is ones spouse can tell in which direction one is looking Embarassed
latest report
There was a report on the old village being exposed by the low level of water in the reservoir shown on France3 tonight.
snow conditions
But the water level is now rising again.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We saw the old bridge on Saturday on the way up to Tignes, but didn't spot the village. However, we were in a moving bus, so we could have easily missed it. It is snowing hard here this morning, won't be able to see anything at all today!
ski holidays
My live reporter says it is horrible out there this morning. The rain yesterday has frozen overnight leaving ice and boiler plate. Currently snowing though. I'm flying out tomorrow, so fingers crossed it snows a lot as the temps look to be very low.
snow conditions
Currently snow showers and windy so where it settles, rather nice skiing. But where it hasn't settled, I'd advise sharp edges.
latest report
Also flying out tomorrow so hoping for some fresh snow to make the landings soft.
ski holidays
@dan100, how weird. What time do you land? The broken boys on your Laughing
Seems like fresh is forecast. Fingers crossed for you.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 16-04-24 14:53; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Much better conditions today compared to yesterday. Icy, but fresh stuff on top. I did not enjoy forcing myself through yesterday afternoon's slushfest.

Double M this afternoon was just about the best skiing you could get. Did one trip down it this afternoon & didn't see a single other person! Beautiful.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:

About 1130 on the 1230 Snowdrone transfer. Hoping for nice soft snow and then sunshine so I can see where I’m going
ski holidays

About 1130 on the 1230 Snowdrone transfer. Hoping for nice soft snow and then sunshine so I can see where I’m going
ski holidays
@dan100, 3.30 for me, and identical aspirations. I'm sure we'll have a great time, with our same injury, traveling on the same day, to the same area, with the same companies, to see the same kind of relative, working in the same type of business Little Angel
ski holidays
@dan100, 3.30 for me, and identical aspirations. I'm sure we'll have a great time, with our same injury, traveling on the same day, to the same area, with the same companies, to see the same kind of relative, working in the same type of business Little Angel

Lol I will be wearing a blue arcteryx jacket if you see me on the slopes. Apparently son is on strict instructions no black runs for me. Looking at the forecast going to take it easy on first day with poor vis.
snow report
Finally going cold with more snow https://www.bergfex.com/tignes/wetter/prognose/
Show be a good last couple of weeks, particularly if the viz can improve.
ski holidays
-4 this morning and driving snow, local roads covered, but not by much. No one else in the bun shop this morning, compared to being busy the last couple of mornings. Folk staying indoors?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy