Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and Tignes-Val D'Isere (formerly Espace Killy) 2023/24. Useful links on Page 1

Poster: A snowHead
I suspect it’s the one on the east facing flank of Mont Roup, I have toured round there once, but I’m far from sure.
Or to put it another way if you ski down Charvet, it’s not the initial valley to your right but the second one as you are poling out.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chocksaway wrote:
I suspect it’s the one on the east facing flank of Mont Roup, I have toured round there once, but I’m far from sure.
Or to put it another way if you ski down Charvet, it’s not the initial valley to your right but the second one as you are poling out.

Thank you that's great!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yea I agree with Chocks - probably the one up there
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Judwin wrote:
As of now - 0:29h CET Friday night/Saturday morning it is not snowing in Val Diz. There is a chill breeze blowing, but it's still quite warm.

Made it to Lo Soli today (well yesterday I suppose technically). The injured people are still in hospital, but if I understood the head waitress properly the injuries aren't as bad as originally feared. Still bad though.

The Lo Soli is under completely new management this year - and all the staff are new too. There is also a completely new menu - and the Gateaux de Agneau is no longer on it Mad . This is going to take some getting used to. rolling eyes

So Le Soil is open? My favourite mountain restaurant. Love the view over Le Lac
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@FrediKanoute, Yes, Lo Soli is open but under new management this season, no staff from previous season and a completely new (main sit down resturaunt) menu. Gateau d'Agneau is gone, but the chicken skewers were quite nice.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well it looks like another unsettled week and it also looks like the retour d'est has made it over the border from Italy for the first time this year (IIRC). It was threatening yesterday with a strong easterly blowing inn Bourg (thanks Tim!) and the clouds barely making it over the border. So not a lot of new snow overnight but it is going to intensify - and its classic retour - even the apps are giving 5-10 cm in Tignes and 10-20 in Val (but little further down the valley). It will be heavier over on the Pissailas, but also dangerous as it is wind blown, so be careful what is relatively benign in Tignes may be treacherous in the Fornet sector. The snow will continue through the night, and will continue to coffee time when it will be replaced by sunny spells with wind at altitude - so it will be a progressive start as the team make it safe. Thursday will be another day of sunny spells, perhaps a few light showers on the cloud covered peaks. Friday looks thoroughly overcast with on and off light showers of snow, it has an easterly flow again so, again, there will be more snow in Fornet than Brev. Saturday is a long way off in weather terms at the moment - but currently overcast and windy with snow showers arriving after dark, hopefully after the traffic has died down.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A challenging day looking at the webcams - but every cloud and all that - it may encourage a good number to stack early and leave tonight helping with the downhill jams tomorrow! Anyway, it looks like winter is back, there's going to be a fair bit of precipitation over the next few days and, for once, I don't have to scratch my head too hard over the rain/snow line as its going to be snow. But there is going to be lots of wind and from varying directions so I suspect we may see an avi risk 4 from Sunday. There was a lucky escape on the Pralognan side of the Grand Casse yesterday afternoon, a fairly big slip but he was saved by his DVA as the other member of the group cleared his head, ahead of the rescue services extracting him.

In more detail, the rest of the day looks grotty, there may even be a few more flakes after dark. But tomorrow, should be OK weatherwise for a transfer (unless you arrive very late tomorrow night). A few sunny spells in the morning, followed by the cloud filling in and the wind picking up in the evening especially. Snow should start late evening as well. Sunday will be a whiteout, high winds and 20-30cm of snow. Its not a classic retour in that teh low is moving east along the northern coast of the med, but it is a much more intense system that the retour classique. So that amount of snow will fall across the whole EK, indeed, right down the Tarentaise. It will be a day for the hardy and the top lifts will be shut and the pisteurs will be busy. There may still be light snow early on Monday but the cloud will progressively break to leave a sunny afternoon, moderate winds and a powder frenzy I have no doubt. Seasonaires beware, its been a relatively benign season so far, unlike the rest of the season there will be real danger out there. Currently, Tuesday looks cloudy in the morning with sunny spells and snow showers in the afternoon. Beyond that its going to be mixed.

As for the travellers, tomorrow the estimate is for 32k vehicles going home and 34k arriving, so queues are inevitable. Leave before 6.30 or wait till lunchtime. For air travel, you are probably going to get wet crossing the car park in the UK in a shower but nothing to curtail flying, unless the wet sleet in Scotland turns a bit more solid. On the continental side no snags in the morning, but it might get bumpy in the late afternoon at the French as the fronts start arriving, only Lyon's forecast goes that far at the moment, one to keep an eye on
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Here is as good as anywhere I guess.
I’ll be in Tignes the week starting April 7. (Before the End of Season Bash in Val Thorens the following week).
I really want to do a Snoworks off piste course that week but it’s mornings and I’m concerned that snow conditions in April will not be conducive to off piste in the mornings. In a usual April (whatever that is) would snow have softened after the overnight freeze enough in some parts by 9am? Will the instructors be able to find non frozen winter snow in some north facing areas in April?
Or am I best off just waiting and doing some guided mornings or afternoons with ESF depending on conditions?
I’d really prefer the tuition of Snoworks but it’ll be a waste if off piste is not skiable.
Thanks in advance.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@sbooker, Should certainly get spring snow following the sun. Might get some winter powder higher up on north faces, but difficult to tell what conditions will be like in 5 weeks time.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sbooker - as Ski lots does say its difficult to know what conditions will be like in 5 weeks time but to answer your specific points...

"In a usual April (whatever that is) would snow have softened after the overnight freeze enough in some parts by 9am?" - some aspects wont need to soften as wont have hardened if altitude and orientation OK! But generally only lower slopes and especially ones facing East would have. So generally no not 0900!

"Will the instructors be able to find non frozen winter snow in some north facing areas in April?" yes they should BUT maybe not powder if thats what you are getting at. E.g. high and north facing slopes could be nice chalk!

"I’d really prefer the tuition of Snoworks but it’ll be a waste if off piste is not skiable." It'll 100% be skiable but the extent is the unknown!

Hope that helps!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Ski lots, @Steve Angus, thanks! I totally understand anything could happen weather wise in the next month. I made the trek all the way to Mt Bachelor last April for their famed 360 degree spring snow and got 3 blower powder days in a row. I wasn’t complaining though.
When referring to the north facing areas holding winter snow I wasn’t thinking powder. I was hoping for chalk as it’s easier for gumbies like me to ski when in steep or tight areas.
Thanks again.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh. And while I’m at it. I don’t have great experience with Geneva airport. Is a scheduled arrival of 2.20pm with Qatar and a bus departure to Tignes 3.30pm too tight under usual conditions? It would be a Sunday.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sbooker wrote:
Oh. And while I’m at it. I don’t have great experience with Geneva airport. Is a scheduled arrival of 2.20pm with Qatar and a bus departure to Tignes 3.30pm too tight under usual conditions? It would be a Sunday.

Where are you seated on the aircraft? And are you eligible to use the e gates ? Do you have luggage to collect ?
Qatar disembark at the new’ish C gates which is a decent walk to immigration, don’t waste any time when you get off the aircraft.

My fastest from aircraft doors open to being in a transfer is 22 mins but worst is 1hr 50mins because we were held up at immigration unfortunately we were behind a Qatar and Royal Air Maroc flight.
This was always mid week without any luggage.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@muppet, thanks. Sounds iffy.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yea agreed you'll need to put your foot down and hope for the best but luggage etc will be the deciding factor!
ski holidays
@sbooker, we returned via Geneva today. It took 40mins from landing to getting landside. We had no luggage so no idea how long that was taking today.
snow report
After a few weeks away avoiding the school holidays we’ve arrived back in town.
Not even rain at St Foy on the way up at 1500 and only around Brévières did it start to sleet.
At the top of the lake the visibility disappeared and by then it was snowing heavily.
It’s difficult to work out how much snow has fallen due to the wind, some parts of the terrace have 60cm and others it’s bare.
The avalanche risk is 4 and even the La Daille walking loops are closed, also the piste bashers are still tucked away in the garage instead of the normal 1730 outing.
ski holidays
A mate in Val Claret spotted someone skiing down Lognan off piste at 2200 tonight Puzzled

Unless it was a Pisteur checking above the chalets. (Bob are you home or in the Sports Hall?).
snow conditions
I'm currently in Tignes for about another 10 days, thanks @chocksaway. I think I spotted you at the top of Bellevarde mid-morning today but wasn't quick enough to say hello.

Fabulous day today, and thanks for the forecasting which was spot on. I promised more updates on ski servicing which I'll try to do later this evening. Have had three pairs done now, picking up the third pair today, along with a mate who is trying to get some restored to service that are currently very (very) convex.
snow conditions
@bobski62, Not me guv. I had to extend my UK stay for 2 weeks, so a much shortened season this year. Hopefully back in 2 weeks for about 4 weeks.
latest report
You must have a doppelganger - or you're renting out your jacket by the week, hopefully for a small fee! Very Happy
snow report
I’m at Tignes for the week starting April 7. I’m travelling solo so I’d like to join a group for the week. I was hoping to do an intro to off piste course with Snoworks but they don’t yet have enough numbers to run the course. Any other suggestions? I have some basic off piste experience but I’m closer to the beginning of the learning curve than the end.
Or is anyone there for the week that would like to share some lifts and perhaps a beer?
snow conditions
Hi @sbooker, there's a constant ebb and flow of various folk skiing together both on and off piste who are in Tignes for part of all of the season. Both I and a few mates are 'free agents' that week (ie nothing else planned). Feel free to PM me.
snow report
@bobski62, thanks. You’re there for the season?
snow conditions
Yes, but also to'ing and fro'ing now and again home to London and occasionally to Italy.
ski holidays
sbooker wrote:
I’m at Tignes for the week starting April 7. I’m travelling solo so I’d like to join a group for the week. I was hoping to do an intro to off piste course with Snoworks but they don’t yet have enough numbers to run the course. Any other suggestions? I have some basic off piste experience but I’m closer to the beginning of the learning curve than the end.
Or is anyone there for the week that would like to share some lifts and perhaps a beer?

We (TDCSki) might have something running that week. Check out the website www.tdcski.com and if looks promising for you then drop the office an email / message from within the website!
latest report
@Steve Angus, thanks.
latest report
Over the next couple of days there is going to be quite a lot of weather! But forecasting the actual passage of the complex set of fronts is going to be tricky, but the overall trend for the next 3 days will include lots of snow - beyond Monday theres little point in doing a forecast as it will change, but it well be unsettled, followed by a period of settled weather midweek, maybe!

Tonight will see clouds on the beaks, so the stars may disappear. Tomorrow will be windy and in the morning there may be a hint of sun behind a milky sky. The cloud will thicken in the afternoon and the snow will start later in the evening, maybe as late as midnight. Expect the high lifts to be shut tomorrow. The weather pattern is a little unusual, in that the flow will initially be southerly but then the front forms a hook and it will resemble a retour d'est when it becomes an easterly. So again, expect the pisteurs in the Pissailas sector to be a lot busier than those in Les Arcs (again!). The snow and wind will continue through Sunday morning, after lunch there should be sunny periods and the wind should ease. Looks like another 20cm as an average across the resorts. Monday should start with sunny periods and a stiff breeze followed by snow showers and cloud, but this is a 50-50 bet!

For the travellers, flying from the UK tomorrow should see no weather limitations but it will be a bit bumpy thanks to a gusty wind and it will be a bit dreary down south. Similarly no snags in the Alps though the wind will pick up in the afternoon at Lyon and Grenoble (but curiously not Chambery), making it a bit bumpy. On the roads leave now as it's going to be busy going down the hill - 34k vehicles are leaving through Albertville. Or have another days skiing. 32k vehicles are on the way up - its not a quiet week, despite the end of the school hols, so very busy from lunchtime onwards.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Here's the long-overdue update I've been promising on ski servicing experiences in Tignes. A short preamble: I'm in Tignes for the whole season and ski 6 days a week; I maintain my edges, wax and do minor repairs myself; however if you are fussy about your edges, you will run out of side edge long before you run out of base edge (ask any dry-slope racer). So, I will also get a shop base grind now and again and at the same time get the structure re-done. This, as a rule of thumb, about every four weeks the ski has been skied. If any of the above is controversial to you please continue the debate starting a new thread... I won't respond on here.

Mountain Story

Nice and quick: they say they have a decent machine but have not tried them yet.

Precision Ski (all branches)

They send the skis on a van down the valley to a workshop in Seez. I've had 3 pairs done and a mate another pair, in all cases making no special requests. All came back flat, well serviced with edges of 1/88.

Vallon Blanc

I've had 3 pairs done all with specific requests for edge angles. All came back as requested and the work was to a very good standard. A mate took in his very convex White Dots and we explained they needed to be made flat. They put them through 3 times and the eventual results were impeccable. Edge angles, again, as requested (tho' White Dots' factory settings are a tad bizarre for a fat ski). Ask for Mathieu or Damien and say that Bob sent you ...
ski holidays
@bobski62, I can't be @rsed to start new thread, but a base grind every 4 weeks is compete overkill, and decreasing the life of your skis exponentially. I work in the ski industry, am friends with many ski instructors and ski professionals, and don't know of anyone who has a base grind once a month. Only base grind if absolutely required is the general consensus.
snow report
Could anyone recommend a few nice restaurants in Tignes Val Claret suitable for family with teenagers. I know Tignes Le Lac very well and places there but not stayed much in Val Claret. Im sure we will check out Cocos for some apres live music too but any other bars suitable for adults plus 2 teenagers early eve (something like Marmot Arms but in Val Claret) ? Many thanks
snow report
Dr John wrote:
@bobski62, I can't be @rsed to start new thread, but a base grind every 4 weeks is compete overkill, and decreasing the life of your skis exponentially. I work in the ski industry, am friends with many ski instructors and ski professionals, and don't know of anyone who has a base grind once a month. Only base grind if absolutely required is the general consensus.

Agree 100% - I would love to know what you think the base grind every 4 weeks is achieving besides reducing the life of your ski. Is the base noticeably gouged or damaged, if not what is the point?
snow report
@Charlie333, The Couloir in the middle of VC, is good for apres and has a mid range resto up stairs after you have had a few beers. For a good value meal The Armoise has very good set menus and also do the Savoyarde cook your own peasant food thing (raclette etc). Haven’t been for years but Daffys Cafe is a tex mex with a good reputation.

Top tip, take your skis home before going to CoCos! (And a chat about recreational chemicals!).
snow report
@Charlie333,
You can still use the free 24hr bus around the upper three villages.
snow report
Thanks @ chocksaway - are you suggesting that my skis will get nicked and the beer is just chemical lagers ? Please update me. Or best to leave the skis at home as i will be incapable of a ski home ? I may end up heading to Le Lac and Loop/ Marmot Arms instead. Whats Marmot like now Alex and Co have departed ?
snow conditions
@Charlie333, Skis vanish with monotonous regularity from CoCos. Mostly through stupidity as people grab any old pair as they run for a bus.
Recreational chemicals = illegal drugs. Easy to avoid there but easy to find for inquisitive teens.
Marmot seemed similar when I was there in Jan, maybe not quite as busy. Some of the staff remained, some went to Terrachu to run a seasonaire haunt. Moose is a bit further up the gallery from Marmot and has a similar vibe and great burgers. Loop as reliable as ever.
ski holidays
Back again, so I may have a chance to get one last ski trip in. Arriving on the late swiss air flight into Geneva which means getting to resort at midnight/ 1 am, then leaving on a Thursday evening to get the last flight out of Geneva, so would need to hire a rental car. As it is less than five days I can't book a parking spot in advance, so two questions, would I be able to rock up to le lac 3 at that time and be able to be directed to a parking spot, secondly would I even find a parking spot. Travelling 24th-28th March which is the week before Easter weekend so I assume easter holidays.
latest report
@dorhar, Yes you can rock up, it’s a 24/7 office. As for parking more than likely, no promises!
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
@dorhar, Yes you can rock up, it’s a 24/7 office. As for parking more than likely, no promises!

Thanks!

Still hoping for a weather change to make the resorts more local to Geneva a viable option for such a short trip, but not looking promising, so glad to know this is an option.

Think a city break is becoming more likely though looking at the forecasts, unless the coming days are a warm blip.
snow report
I'm now starting to take more interest as I should arrive back on Monday! It's a mixed bag. A minor fright the day before yesterday when I got a call from the Syndic saying they needed to get into my apartment as there was a leak in the building and they couldn't get hold of my keyholder. Luckily I did - he was already in the apartment! There was no leak from my pad which was nice. Yesterday morning, he was out skiing and had a missed called from IDEX the plumbers. Thoughts of dread reemerged. He called them back and Monsieur Le Plombier asked him to go back to the apartment as he thought he had left his shades on the table! Laughing

As to the weather - the current sunny sky will cloud over this afternoon. Tomorrow should start with milky cloud and this will then thicken in the afternoon and the wind will pick up and it should start snowing lightly just after the lifts close. This may turn sleety in the lower villages after dark but back to snow by the small hours, in total 5-10cm. Saturday looks OK , a mix of sunny spells and cloudy periods, a bit breezy so it wont feel as warm as it looks. Sunday will be mostly cloudy with light breezes, a few sunny spells scattered through the day. Monday, mmmmmm. It will start grey and deteriorate, the precipitation is likely to start around lunchtime and it looks like rain to 2300m or so. It's quite prolonged and moderate in intensity so 10-20cm at altitude but the villages will be miserable and wet. There'll be more from the weather office which will be temporarily based at Manchester on Sunday!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy