Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and Tignes-Val D'Isere (formerly Espace Killy) 2023/24. Useful links on Page 1

Poster: A snowHead
@chocksaway, we were up near you today. Glacier hasn’t been open since we’ve been here (or we’ve been miles away) so headed up today. Epic powder off the side piste. We had a day of it (well morning).
Then the cloud came in. We went down cascade red and at one point we lost all piste poles.
But the pistes were in good condition (when you could see them). Great day finished at coco rico with a superb live band.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Currently snowing heavily on the chocksaway scale, can't see enough to assess the wind. Its even snowing in Bourg according to local intel!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, Dumping in La Daille this morning, were 200m from the gondola and can barely see the trees beyond
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Awesome skiing today when eventually the sun shone at 4.30 after nearly 3 days of cloud. Fresh powder.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It was a testing and trying day with a lot of snow about, unfortunately we came in just after 3.30 when it was really dark and then the sun appeared. We set off down to Brev this morning which was fine, looked up Sache and thought - worth a look and it was. Couldn't see much but powder on the piste. After Hot Choc we had a trip round the Palet and up Lanches - you knew there was good snow there but it was tricky to go too far off piste as you couldn't assess the hazards. The wind seemed to be picking up so we decided on lunch at Marmottes - the Tignes App burbled telling you to go back to Brev if you lived there, as they were going to close some of the runs, presumably for wet avalanches as it warmed up - don't know if it happened or not. A fter that we did a couple of runs round Tov. The wind is already picking up moving snow around - so watch out tomorrow as there will be some hefty slabs around.

As for tomorrow, its going to be windy, not high enough winds to shut all the lifts but probably some of the higher ones. Its looks like being mostly cloudy so not much vis, again there may be a few suckers gaps. Currently Saturday looks like a raging gale with winds up to 100kph, so not a lot will be happening. There will be precipitation, maybe 10-20cm but the snowline will be around 2000m, s omay not play too much havoc with the traffic. More tomorrow! As for Sunday the two main forecasting models are ploar opposites, so not worth typing.

Off to QDC for dins!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just got back from Tignes as first timers - had an excellent lads trip and must say, I was on the whole v impressed; some mixed weather made skiing challenging at times (yesterday) as well as it being a very busy period on the calendar (the treelined runs to La Daille on Tuesday were a graveyard for both ski schools / beginners and the whole of Val D who seemed to be on it); however the pistes on the whole are in great shape (even down to 1550 in the morning) and with the sheer scale of skiing available its hard not to be impressed . . .

Hotel le Refuge was (as already confirmed on here) possibly one of the best located hotels in 2100; good value and Bob on reception helpful and friendly . .

Big shout out to Sebastien at Mountain Story for inspecting my UK new boot fit / and tweaking them (for free) 15 euros for a quick ski wax was also cheaper than expected - Many thanks!

Best value restaurant (we found at any rate) was the hidden gem by the Borsat chairlift - great value!

Best 'reliving our yoof' Happy hour apres (preferred it to the Folie D by some distance) was the Le Bolin/Restaurant de Montagne - cheap(ish) Aperols / progressive DJs and more locals present than the usual assumed trust-fund kids made for a great atmosphere

Best meal - last night at the Niurou Steakhouse; managed to get a table; luverly Rib Eye and a decent slab of rare meat rather than the usual conservative portions found elsewhere!

ONLY negatives were -

a) Our transfer driver who was unable to find us at the back of Geneva Terminal 2 even after being sent a map; he not only blamed us but then proceeded to make up lost time by driving like an absolute bell all the way to Tignes - he must have overtaken at least 4x coaches (one on the main hairpin) whilst texting on his phone and spent the rest of the journey nose to tail with anything in his sights - I was close to vomming and told him this but he didn't seemingly care; he ended the trip with a donut on the fresh snow outside the hotel . . . . . .absolute t*t. Luckily the return driver this morning was a gent and made the airport in 3hrs and at a seemingly sedate pace!

b) An altercation with one of our crew (an early intermediate) on the Piste G run down to La Daille on said mayhem Tuesday. I decided to escape the madness by nipping through the trees to the adjacent red but when the second from last in our group followed he had a fall on the ramped exit. After getting up he continued down the run only to be immediately back-ended by an angry Spyder wearing middle aged brit . . . .'how long have you been skiing' . . .'you're not qualified for this slope/these conditions' were not really appropriate comments irrespective as to who was at fault. After some more 'direct' feedback from the lad in our group said Brit then frapped him on the helmet with his ski pole . . . . .! At this point the last in our group had cleared the trees (all 18 stone rugby player of him) and attended the scene - sufficed to say his mere presence meant it all ended rather abruptly with swashbuckling Spyder man making a rapid exit. When we all reconvened at the bottom we were considering sending out a search party for the offending buffoon but sensibly decided against it and went for well deserved hot-choc and rum instead! Toofy Grin

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 29-03-24 12:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A later start, lapped la Daille and the bubble and gondola, a bit more challenging as the day went on. Stopped for a hot chocolate and then later a bowl of soup at Marmotte at 3. Then braved the Borsat chair at 3pm, clod and windy, bad light and went to Grand Pre lift, lapped that and on the 2nd time up we thought it was clearing a bit. What followed was a magnificent hour and a half, skiing wonderful snow in sunshine. Quite spectacular. Caught Fontaine Froid up at 4.55 and skied back to La Daille. Bizarrely, the ski back down to La Daille was really nice.
Happy pair
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi all! We’re driving to Val Claret tomorrow (Saturday) arriving in the afternoon - it’ll be our first time in Tignes. Given current forecasts, I was wondering whether those who know the area could say what are the chances we’ll need to put on our snow chains to get up to Le Lac / Val Claret? (We have 3PMSF tyres). Thanks!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kingpin24 wrote:
Hi all! We’re driving to Val Claret tomorrow (Saturday) arriving in the afternoon - it’ll be our first time in Tignes. Given current forecasts, I was wondering whether those who know the area could say what are the chances we’ll need to put on our snow chains to get up to Le Lac / Val Claret? (We have 3PMSF tyres). Thanks!

Driving there now, planning to arrive Saturday morning, staying on Friday evening somewhere near Tignes, Bourg StMaurice or something...

Going to give update in the morning Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@kingpin24, Welcome aboard snowHeads and the Tignes Express! There rain snow line tomorrow by ay is going to be around 2300m, it will drop after dark but you'll be fine on 3PMSF. There might be thunderstorms in the afternoon with really high winds - so check your wipers! I'll do a full forecast later.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@kingpin24, I would have thought highly unlikely, but not impossible given the freezing level is supposed to be around 2,000m. I must have driven up to Tignes/Val 50 odd times and never once had to deploy chains apart from once getting out of an “unofficial” car park in Val. There have however been a few days this season when the authorities have been mandating their use.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Warm and windy! It was transfer day at Chez Chocks so I've not been out. But it was very warm and the wind increased through the morning before slackening this afternoon. The higher lifts were shut on and off and the links were all about shut for part of the afternoon, certainly coming from the wrong side of the Tov to the correct one wink . I hope everybody managed to get home. At 1600hrs it was 11 degs on my balcony and 24 in Aime village! As the wind is southerly we are also seeing another dose of Saharan sand, more noticeable down the valley but as the sun is almost out here we may be in for a fiery sunset. I'm sure there were pockets of lighter stuff at altitude, if you could find it and see it. Looking forward to the reports of those brave enough to have gone out.

As ever the QDC was splendid last night, prawn cocktail, rabbit wrapped in bacon, followed by Cafe Gourmand, all washed down with a glass of Croze. Alpine Heaven.

Right the weather. Hang on to your hats! Its going to be quite wild overnight, so watch out for the wind slab off piste tomorrow, if the lifts are running.The cloud will thicken overnight and the wind will pick up, the valley winds maybe higher than aloft but gusts over 80kph are expected. If it is as strong as this most lifts will be shut. We should wake up to light rain or light snow if you are camping aboce 2300m (Or are a Marmotte wondering if you should come out of hibernation). This will continue through the day, the snowline will drop slowly after dark to around 1900m. These things are never precise though. Sunday looks like a whiteout with more screaming winds and a snowline at 1900m or so, this will drop below Brev in the evening. The snow will be heavier than Saturday so maybe a foot or so at altitude. Light snow and wind will continue through Monday, there may be sunny spells in the afternoon. I think thats enough witchcraft for now.

As for the travel tomorrow, with only 22k vehicles going downhill there is little likelihood of delays, maybe a small queue at Aime mid morning. 30k on the way up means a few moderate queues in the early/mid afternoon. The roads should be OK right into the village till after dark. Air travel from the UK should be largely OK, a slim chance of fog at Gatwick. Over here we will have thundery showers like the UK has had to day with strong winds. A thunderstorm may cause delays if they are really bad and a dance round the holding pattern. The winds are down the runway at Lyon but across the runway at Grenoble, so that may cause delays at Grenoble if it really kicks off. There's a small chance of 45kt winds at Lyon which is getting close to the limits for ground ops (moving steps etc) so one to watch. Chambery could be interesting with a screaming southerly, OK for landing, but tricky for takeoffs as generally the take off direction at Chambery is northerly because of the hills at the end of the southerly runway. If there is too much of a tailwind on the short runway it could become a showstopper unless the aircraft are cleared to depart visually and have enough performance to make it. Someone in aircraft ops is going to have to make a trick call in the morning.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The soft powdery snow of Thursday has been battered by the warm wind.
We've been stick on lifts for an hour today: 20 mins on Borsat - we were the penultimate chair before closure, 25 mins in Grand Pre after a nasty injury on the off ramp, 15 on Glacier and 10 on Datcha. Saw a fair bit of Orange snow up Solaise as Chocks said

Despite that we've had a great day, although somewhat wind burnt.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Frosty the Snowman, doesn't sound ideal!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@chocksaway, Eating at Sarah & Dunc's...now I'm properly jealous!
ski holidays
@gixxerniknik, You and me both! Laughing
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
It was a testing and trying day with a lot of snow about, unfortunately we came in just after 3.30 when it was really dark and then the sun appeared. We set off down to Brev this morning which was fine, looked up Sache and thought - worth a look and it was. Couldn't see much but powder on the piste. After Hot Choc we had a trip round the Palet and up Lanches - you knew there was good snow there but it was tricky to go too far off piste as you couldn't assess the hazards. The wind seemed to be picking up so we decided on lunch at Marmottes - the Tignes App burbled telling you to go back to Brev if you lived there, as they were going to close some of the runs, presumably for wet avalanches as it warmed up - don't know if it happened or not. A fter that we did a couple of runs round Tov. The wind is already picking up moving snow around - so watch out tomorrow as there will be some hefty slabs around.

As for tomorrow, its going to be windy, not high enough winds to shut all the lifts but probably some of the higher ones. Its looks like being mostly cloudy so not much vis, again there may be a few suckers gaps. Currently Saturday looks like a raging gale with winds up to 100kph, so not a lot will be happening. There will be precipitation, maybe 10-20cm but the snowline will be around 2000m, s omay not play too much havoc with the traffic. More tomorrow! As for Sunday the two main forecasting models are ploar opposites, so not worth typing.

Off to QDC for dins!

Thanks for the heads up Choc's. Currently overnighting in Troyes, will be at Tigned between 3 and 5 weather/traffic depending!
latest report
la Daille bubble, Funicular, Olympique, Marmottes and the beginner lifts in town are the only lift running this morning in Val.
Not gonna bother. Home tomorrow.
snow conditions
@Frosty the Snowman, exactly the same thought here. The weather isn't exactly enticing me out Just had a chilled breakfast from Maison Chevallot, going to take the pooch out for a walk before packing up and giving the apartment a spring clean. Driving back tomorrow.
latest report
Yip, it's pretty grim over here too. Its snowing hard in Lac (just) the roads are still very wet and look like remaining so until much later in the afternoon. Someone did try and entice me out - I retired to the kitchen and then Mountain Story for 2 coffees to while away the hours.
ski holidays
We had a superb lunch instead at Les Tontons restaurant in La Daille centre.

Wow, it was superb with great veggie options too. You can get a fabulous dish for the same.price as some bulk meal dish on the mountain. Walk in the back door or.ski in the front.

Someone asked it was dog friendly, it is.
snow conditions
@Frosty the Snowman, yeah we love TonTons too and have had a couple of lunches there. The beef rib is a favourite. The bar next to the restaurant is vibrant too, plus we don't even need to put coats on to get to them Little Angel

Definitely dog friendly in both bar and restaurant. You can also take food from Jami Delivery to eat in the bar.
ski holidays
On opening the curtains this morning we also said nope.
With the yellow tint in the sky I’m guessing some sand is mixed with the snow.
A day of laundry instead after some of our daughters friends left yesterday afternoon and looking at dates to re visit in the summer.

@Frosty the Snowman, @sno trax, We also really like Tontons, it’s always excellent.
Although has anyone looked closely at the wallpaper in the bar ? We’re convinced it’s been hung up side down.
ski holidays
@muppet, Are you sure you weren't stood on your head?

Well the horrid day continued, as I type the main road is still wet but the side roads are turning a slushy white so potentially a bit tricky up here for the later arrivals. The short queues in the Valley are only just forming. Looking at the webcams it appears that it has been very wet in Boisses and below - is it wet in La Daille chaps? Given that we have had continual moderate to heavy snow all day and a lot of wind I'm surprised the avalanche risk hasn't gone up, must be teh top end of 3 though.

There may still be some thunderstorms tonight and then the snow/rain will peter out but then start again around first light. It might be moderate at first but will become lighter. It will be windy, but not as bad as today, but there will be a lot of work for the pisteurs to do, so patience may be required. The higher lifts may be shut all day. The snow (all the way to Brev) will start again after dark. As there are a number of troughs coming our way on Monday its difficult to predict the timing but showery snow to start with, it may get damp below the Dam in the afternoon, still a stiff breeze at altitude. Amounts of snow vary quite a bit between the models. Tuesday, looks like a day of respite, sunny periods and light snow showers in the morning, sunny periods and fluffy clouds in the afternoon.

For the fliers tomorrow, lots of howers over there and over here. The ones over here could be quite lively so a bit bumpy closer to the ground. The forecasts mention a chance of fog at Luton, Stansted and Leeds, which would slow things a little.
ski holidays
@muppet, we're sat there now and agreed, the wall paper is upside down. Either that or gravity does not affect french flowers. The wallpapering was probably a rush job to get the place open for the New Year Very Happy
ski holidays
I spoke to soon, there seems to be a broken down vehicle somewhere near the Saix tunnel, queues are building in both directions.
latest report
@chocksaway, coming down as rainy sleet at the moment. Not pleasant and just got soaked after being out for 15mins peeing the pooch. TonTons bar is definitely a better place to be.
snow report
We are heading out to Tignes on the 20th April for the week, may be too early to tell but how are we looking right about now compared to last year, what can we expect....I know a few mates who had a fantastic time towards the end of April last season...hope we experience the same! Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ill report back in on the other thread but conditions up there really werent all that bad today and they got a very large proportion of the mountain (well Val side anyway!) open by mid morning! Strategy of skiing Marmottes or Fontaine Froid produced some nice snow.... it was only when you went low that it got wet and blurh! I took my boys down the Face mid morning and it was some of the funnest skiing down there ive ever had actually! However going low bought with it dampness unfortunately!
snow conditions
Now snowing in tignes 2100 with good amounts of snow on the road, enough to drift and skid.
ski holidays
@sno trax, Very Happy We also questioned if French bluebells
were different.
snow report

Do we think this may be the new part for the Mont Blanc lift ?
It was delivered to the side of the La Daille gondola this evening. Luckily the road beside the Roseé was empty due to the bad weather.
latest report
Big explosions going off this morning. Scared my kids to death! Seeing patches of blue sky around. Feels a bit breezy.
Any idea what conditions likely to be today? Thanks
snow conditions
@Dougie, depending on altitude; snow, rain strong breezes
snow report
@Frosty the Snowman, Nice one. Thank you
snow conditions
Mixed bag this morning. Bit breezy and @Frosty the Snowman, said and pretty flat light. Not terrible by any stretch and still enjoyable. Sun has come out since stopping for lunch. Heading out now.
snow report
A very mixed bag. Warm, windy and sometimes very windy with mixed visibility and mixed snow. As it was pretty poor vis I was out on a piste day wandering around and a cheeky few turns off the side where there was some nice snow when you could see it, but not a day to be too adventurous. It was easy to find the gullies with new snow in them as they were white and not orange where the sand still lays on exposed parts. Coffee at the Jam Bar came with a free Easter Egg! There is now a whole bunch of kit at the top station of the soon to be Marais Chair - they obviously want to get on with drilling and digging and concreting footings. The wind over lunchtime was quite gusty and just as we were starting lunch at Rosies, we got the go home warning on the App, so we did. There was also a comedy moment on the App when somebody used autotranslate on an alert when the gusts got too much in the Palet sector. It said the following chairs were closing temporarily, Grand Huit, Aiguille Pierce and Blackbirds! Sometimes tech doesn't really help!

Just looked out of the window and a Buzzard has just flown past level with my balcony - joining in the Easter Egg hunt? Count your children folks!

Oh and Happy 97th birthday for yesterday to Jacques who lives 'next door' (who I have mentioned before) reported to be the oldest skier in The EK.

A few flocons are going past the window as I type, these will continue until after dark (it may be sleet below the Dam) but sometime around midnight it will become heavier snow (and all the way down to Brev). It will also be very windy overnight. This snow will continue until Breakfast or Lunch depending on your choice of model, the wind will ease though. The avalanche forecasters are working on 10-15cm. It should then be a day of sunny periods with a moderate gusty winds. It will cloud over after Happy Hour and light snow will start again and continue until Tuesday morning, after which we will have more sunny periods. After Tuesday Happy Hour it will cloud over again and light snow will start again, maybe. If it arrives, the snow should then continue through Wednesday, with a snowline at 1900m. I would not bet my house on this forecast.

@muppet, I see that 'wheel' is now on a big sledge. On inspection it looks like it has had a new centre bearing/axle/middle bit (guess who's not an engineer). I wouldn't like to have to drag that through the slush.

Attention aux poissons wink
snow report
Hey all! Quick question with parking... We've paid in advance and are currently parked in grande Motte until Saturday. But we have our dog with us (his first holiday) and I'm going to need to drive him down to the vet in bourg on Friday to get a tapeworm treatment ready for our ferry back on the 8th. Will I be allowed to leave and re-enter? Or will I need to pay again?

Also... Just on the off-chance, if anyone else is currently in Tignes and has a dog that's looking for an over the top, excitable,13 month old, very enthusiastic american bulldog walking/play buddy for the next few days - give me a shout! He absolutely loves other dogs and gets a lot of his confidence from them (the avalanche canons this morning scared him quite a bit Sad ) they just need to be tolerant of a puppy that's a bit of a nauze - it would be great for him to make some nice snow memories too! Cheers Very Happy
ski holidays
Your parking fee covers any number of re entries.
ski holidays
Woken up at Le Refuge hotel to a large dump overnight. Skies starting to clear and could be epic. The best weather forecaster we have seen so far (apart from Chocksaway) is L'Escale Blanche. They are furiously clearing the terrace, which means they expect good weather for lunch, they are rarely wrong.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy