Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for tips as a newly solo skier

Poster: A snowHead
62yo male from Scotland, skied 1wk/year for most of the last 30 years, Ski Tracks last year was 40km+/- per day, moderate speed. I used to ski with my wife, who has knee issues (as do I, but tolerable, I hope!), and have skied with other friends who I am unlikely to be able to go with next year. Two seasons ago, when my friend was ill one day, I enjoyed skiing with SCGB, and joined, though not currently a member, and not entirely averse to joining again for the company, but most of their rep resorts look a bit pricey for me. I most likely want to go to the Alps or the Dolomites about 20th January 2024. I want it all without too much cost! Big area, reliable snow, flights from Glasgow or Edinburgh, half board or possibly chalet, some company to ski with. I think my trip to Canazei last season and Obergurgl the previous one were about £1200 + lift pass. Apart from SCGB rep resorts, one friend suggested just tell the Inghams or Crystal rep on the bus that you're solo, they'll fix up some company. But with a few months to go, I thought I'd ask for any opinions here. Thanks in advance,
Derek
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have a look at the snowheads trips. Not sure if dates work in for Jan bit if your flexible a bit could be a good solution.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@barkerdm19, if you can put your trip back a week then the preBBWUW to Alleghe in the Dolomites will run from 27th January to 3rd February. It's a particularly good value bash as admin is able to get the local Civetta ski area pass included in the basic price, and the hotel used, the Sporthotel Europa, is excellent with great food. If you want to ski beyond the Civetta area then admin usually arranges a trip one day to the nearby San Pellegrino ski area, and you also have the option of upgrading your weekly ski pass to a Dolomiti Superski one to cover a much larger area e.g Cinque Torri and Cortina, Marmolada etc.

Buttons for booking the preBBWUW aren't yet available but they should be appearing soon. For general information about the preBBWUW bash this link is to last season's: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4957278

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 21-09-23 8:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You could be me.

Similar age; Been skiing for well over 30 years; Wife not skiing any more; I usually ski with my Daughter, but she isn't able to go next season; Member of the SCGB.....and so am solo this coming season and hoping to meet up with others.

I was booked to go to Les Arcs with Crystal, to ski with a snowHead friend who has a flat there....but Crystal could not fulfil that booking so changed me to Tignes Lac.

I will be there from 7th to 14th Jan and am happy to meet up if your other plans fail and the area, timing and costs suit. Send me a PM if interested.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What @Alastair Pink, says.

Take a look at the snowEvents section.
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewforum.php?f=31

Page 1 of the Forthcoming events lists all for next season bashes, though in most cases the links are currently to last seasons event (until @admin, finalises plans and puts up a new thread this buttons).

This thread and the 2 other sticky threads will give you a better idea of what's involved in a bash...

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=49389
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@barkerdm19, to add to the comments above, it's difficult to commit to a holiday through an interweb site, that's possibly not even available to book until a month or two before the event, where you have to send your money to an unbonded individual and where you have to organise aspects (flights and transfers) yourself. However, all of the replies above are from folk who have done it, and there are many hundreds of us.

If you take that leap of faith, you will not regret it. The Pre-BB is a remarkably cheap trip for the quality of the hotel. I shudder now when I hear the words 'Crystal' and 'Inghams'. Pay three months ahead to then be told you're going somewhere else and (most importantly) not knowing you be with a hotel full of like minded enthusiasts? No thanks!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mrs Val D wrote:
I shudder now when I hear the words 'Crystal' and 'Inghams'. Pay three months ahead to then be told you're going somewhere else and (most importantly) not knowing you be with a hotel full of like minded enthusiasts? No thanks!

To be fair to Crystal, this is the first time it's happened in 40 years. I had booked the cheapest 2* Hotel I could find, plus a Les Arcs area only lift pass (the price of which has already gone up €20). Crystal has upgraded me to a very nice 3* hotel with pool and included a EK Lift Pass - this alternative holiday costs around €1200 over what I paid.

Saying that, I think the OP would enjoy the Snowhead's Bash much more.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In a similar situation although somewhat younger (early 40s), I went on a couple of SCGB trips last year: an early-season instruction weekend in Tignes, and a week with a guide in Alagna in January. They weren't cheap, particularly compared with the prices on offer on the Bashes, but they were both pretty good, and while pricier than a self-organized group booking an instructor or guide (or transfers, for that matter), a lot cheaper (not to mention more convenient) than trying to book into a group and arranging everything else oneself. Top-quality guides and instructors, too: one thing the SCGB does very well is maintain relationships with very good people in that regard.

The other thing I did, late-season last year, was a UCPA off-piste week. Exceptional value, and again a ready-made group to ski with, although here I'm of course rather closer to their target age range than either of you. But there were certainly people there around 60, if not a huge number of them.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@barkerdm19, I'm in Glasgow, as an example, PreBBWUW Flying BA, LH.... GLA to VCE £170 including ski bag with clothes in it as well (standard hold bag), Cabin bag for other gear and under seat bag. Enough for a week.

Transfer to location. about £60 return

1/2 board accommodation (shared twin room) with free lift pass £600

Total about £850 If you are fast and want a solo room total is about £1050 Last years link https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=159863

Full Sella Ronda trip on the BB

Flights and transfer about the same.

shared room £733 = £1000, lift pass about £350 so comes in at £1350

So both in your budget.

Benefit is loads of people to ski to different places of different ability. Great company and great food.
This year is almost full https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=163571
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Many thanks for all these replies. I won't rule anything out at this stage, but I'm also not in a position to finalise things just yet, so please excuse me if I continue to lurk around here!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Another possibility is to do a ski tuition clinic. Plenty of recommendations here. For example
https://www.insideoutskiing.com/holidays

Of course travelling solo is always likely to be more expensive, and there isn't always an option to share, even if you're happy to do so.

A Snowheads bash is a great idea, and if you can't go firm until much nearer the time there might be cancellations/drop outs/injuries, opening up some last minute opportunities.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I stopped reading at SkiTracks last year...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
+1 for the PreBB bash, I've been on it once and wouldn;t hesitate to go as a solo skier. As others have said, it's a bit of a leap of faith sending money to some bloke on t'interweb, but it really is good value and a lovely ski area.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Check out YSEski -Chalet les Chardons . Based in Val d'Isere. Lots of single rooms, great food and lots of company. You will not ski alone. Or try the snowhead bashes
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi Derek,

I've put a post on here regarding an apartment in the 3 valleys. I'm thinking of driving down on 2nd Jan and coming back on the 17th. I live in Hartlepool, North east. I'm happy to accept £1,000 so all you have to pay is ski passes and food, however I'm intending to take quite a bit with me. I'm suggesting you can drive to me or get train to Darlington and we will take my car (landrover Discovery Sport with winter tyres) and have a brilliant time. I'm 60 years of age and an experienced skier. Just a thought if your interested.

Gary

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 29-09-23 9:48; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Biggazza1 wrote:
Hi Derek,

I've put a post on here regarding an apartment in the 3 valleys. I'm thinking of driving down on 2nd Jan and coming back on the 17th. I live in Hartlepool, North east. I'm happy to accept £1,000 so all you have to pay is ski passes and food, however I'm intending to take quite a bit with me. I'm suggesting you can drive to me or get train to Darlington and we will take my car (landrover Discovery Sport with winter tyres) and have a brilliant time. I'm 60 years of age and an experienced skier. Just a thought if your interested.

I would remove your phone number and send it as a PM.
ski holidays
Thanks again for the input. I am still considering things. I wish I could spare 2 weeks, Biggazza 1, but to add on independent travel either one way or both (for a 1 week trip) would challenge my budget. YSEski looks interesting and the PreBB bash could well be the answer. Old Fartbag's suggestion was also good. Lot's of thinking to do.
snow conditions
I've got 2 possibilities posted on here, that may interest you, although both a bit later(Feb & March).

St Anton, driving to a great hotel in the centre in Feb
Cervinia, apartment in great location in March.

I'm 63, the other 2 a few years younger than me. We ski with SCGB in Cervinia - most days in Zermatt.
snow report
Good suggestion, Gilgamesh, thank you. Unfortunately, mid-Feb into March is not possible in 2024.
snow conditions
barkerdm19 wrote:
Good suggestion, Gilgamesh, thank you. Unfortunately, mid-Feb into March is not possible in 2024.

No worries. Hope you find something that suits.

We'll likely be doing something similar next year, if not exactly the same thing. Maybe you'll fancy it next year.

Smile
snow report
Things moved faster than I anticipated, and I have gone ahead with a package holiday booking today.
I want to express thanks to all who replied to my request for advice. Some of you whose suggestions I declined for 2024 have kindly said that similar offers may be there for 2025, so I may well look this thread up when the time comes. The forum meet-ups certainly sound good options in future.
Meanwhile, don't add further options on my account for 2024, though it's fine with me if anyone else wishes to use it as a springboard for their own options.
Thanks again, and I hope all of us have an enjoyable upcoming ski season.
Derek

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 26-09-23 11:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I'm curious (as I'm sure are others): what did you book in the end?
snow conditions
A week in Tignes in January.
snow report
Enjoy, I hope you (and @Old Fartbag) have great times there!
latest report
JayRo wrote:
Enjoy, I hope you (and @Old Fartbag) have great times there!

Thank you.

The snow dance will commence shortly!
snow report
@barkerdm19, Enjoy!!!
latest report
Tommygirl66 wrote:
@barkerdm19, Enjoy!!!

How kind! The tour operator has been paid, the old planks have been serviced at the local dry slope, so it's beginning to feel close.
Derek
snow conditions
barkerdm19 wrote:
Tommygirl66 wrote:
@barkerdm19, Enjoy!!!

How kind! The tour operator has been paid, the old planks have been serviced at the local dry slope, so it's beginning to feel close.
Derek

.....and my Snow Dance seems to be working..........At the moment! Cool
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, that's me back from Tignes, a great week of skiing. Thanks to @Old Fartbag for his company, wise council (sometimes) and b*llsh***ing (frequently!) We hardly stopped laughing.
The guys from the Ski Club GB were great, too.
Due to life getting in the way, that might be it for skiing this year, or maybe a day or two at Glencoe or Glenshee, we'll see.
Many thanks to all who contributed to this thread and the many offers and suggestions for avoiding being on my own. Let's see what happens next year!
Derek
snow report
snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
barkerdm19 wrote:
Well, that's me back from Tignes, a great week of skiing. Thanks to @Old Fartbag for his company, wise council (sometimes) and b*llsh***ing (frequently!) We hardly stopped laughing.

Ha! That's what my Mother would call a "Backhanded Compliment" Skullie ....But to be fair...you are completely correct - except for the "Wise council" bit.

It's not everyone who could put up with me talking bollox for a week....and still remain polite about it.....but we certainly did a lot of laughing and covered every topic you can think of, plus a few more. It certainly made my holiday, for which I'm most grateful.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy