Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2023 / 2024

Poster: A snowHead
Time to start a thread?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for starting the thread @Layne, When are you heading out? We should be there for a coulpe weeks over Christmas and again at Easter.

As a starter question - does anyone know what happened about the proposed changes to the road through Arc1600 and parking. There was a meeting about it but I haven't seen the results. The Les Arcs website indicates no change. I'd hate to find myself driving the wrong way along the one way street.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Will be visiting Les Arcs for the first time at the start of January for a few nights! Anyone got any good (aka cheaper) bar recommendations in Arc 1800? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
northernrookie wrote:
Will be visiting Les Arcs for the first time at the start of January for a few nights! Anyone got any good (aka cheaper) bar recommendations in Arc 1800? Toofy Grin

I think it was "Chez Boubou" that we usually ended up in when there.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@johnE, hope to be firming up Christmas trip plan over the weekend - will be either Les Coches or La Tania
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Might meet up then.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Coming for the first time on December 30th. 5th week skiing, hopefully starting to get to grips with it and looking at the piste map looks like I'll be able to explore plenty of the mountain. Cool
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@TheFra, welcome to SH's - I am sure you will love it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Layne, what determines the choice between those two? Best deal on lodging?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@TheFra, Where are you staying? If you need any advice on anything Les Arcs related then please just ask. We have corresponents in 2000, 1950, 1800 and me in 1600. And Layne from the other side of the Vanoise Express
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@sbooker, We are looking at going a day early and doing 8 days so fewer lodging options - and at Christmas I want some trees.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@JohnE and @Layne Thanks very much, appreciated. We are staying at 1950. I've been reading through a lot of the old posts, some great advice on here so thanks all.

There are 10 of us (7 adults, 3 teenagers) in total, ranging from never skiied to 1 person that is quite good. We would like to get across to La Plange for an afternoon but most of us are in lessons until 11.45 so not sure if that is practical? If possible what would be the best (and probably easiest) route from 1950? Bois De L'Ours lift then Arpette 3, Charmettoger, Plan bois, Phoney? Would a first week skiier be able to tackle that towards the end of week (appreciate that is probably a how long is a piece of string question based on how quickly they pick it up).

In a similar vein could we do First tracks (sunrise skiing) and get back for a lesson starting at 9.15 or would that be too rushed?

Finally does anyone have any recommendations on where to eat at 1950 and would we need to book (outside of New years, we plan to book that soon) prior to arriving?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
TheFra wrote:
We would like to get across to La Plange for an afternoon but most of us are in lessons until 11.45 so not sure if that is practical?

It's possibile but:
- you need to rush to spend as much possible time at La Plagne
- don't expect to go further than Bellecote or you will not able to go back to Arc 1950 before everything shut down

In other words, you better forget about it
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
TheFra wrote:
@JohnE and @Layne

Finally does anyone have any recommendations on where to eat at 1950 and would we need to book (outside of New years, we plan to book that soon) prior to arriving?

We’ve been to 1950 a few times and I don’t think you need to book in advance. If you arrive on a Saturday and get there late then you might be out of luck that night but there are some good pizza restaurants that do takeaway that are great. There’s also the hypermarche in Bourg to stock up before you arrive if driving and the shop in 1950 (used to be Spar, now changed name) is actually pretty good I think - decent meat including rotisserie chickens and cheese selection downstairs) that can sort you out if stuck. We’ve then always been able to book into places either on the morning we wanted to go there that night or we book a few up for the week once there. As for recommendations, sadly the names escape me but I thought all were pretty good and reliable.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@TheFra, it’s a fairly straightforward ski from the top of bois de l’ ours lift to the vanoise express. Follow the signs and if in any doubt turn left. The trees above the vanoise express can provide some excellent skiing.be a little careful to allow plenty of time for the return. The arpette from bellcote can have horrendous queues.

As to whether a first week skier can make it. I would say most can, but be prepared for it taking a long time. And then they’d decide that the pistes in vallandry are rather nice and they cannot be bothered to take their skis off.

Some suggested activities other than skiing:
Take the luge down from the col de chal
Visit the light show in the shed at the top of the varet
Visit the mountain museum at the top of the vallandry télécabine. They have a real stuffed dahu there
Take the funicular down to bourg st Maurice and sit at the very front.
The view from the top of the aiguille rouge is fantastic.
If you have deep pockets the zip wire from the of the varet looks fun.
snow conditions
@TheFra, personally I would go over to La Plagne at the end of the week. Taking the Vanoise Express itself is an experience and the skiing immediately on the other side (above Les Coches) I personally love. The beginners could ski the tunnel run which is fun, whilst the more experienced would like Sources. Arpette is the bottle neck coming back and there is a long schuss from the top of that which is intimidating (but fun) for beginners).
latest report
Personally I wouldn't recommend a first week skier tries making it across to the Vanoise Express and beyond. As JohnE says, it will take a long time: it's quite a distance for an inexperienced skier, which may be fairly exhausting, and if it goes wrong could be damaging to confidence. Conditions are also a factor - I've hit sheet ice on both sides of the Vanoise Express at that time of year. However, some people take to skiing like the proverbial duck, so I would see how the week goes.
snow conditions
Thanks everyone, appreciate all the info. I'll put La Plagne on the maybe (but probably unlikely) pile. Gives us another reason to come back next year Very Happy
ski holidays
Returning again to Les Arcs in March. We always stay at the Mercure in 1800, but I notice this year its changed ownership and is now known as the Altezza and is no longer part of the Accor hotel group. Anyone know what the story is there? I have booked direct with Altezza via their new website. Hoping that the change maintains the same levels, or improves. Prices seem to be similar.
snow conditions
I was already booked in the Mercure, but then got an e-mail from both the Mercure and Altezza informing me of the change, apparently it'll all be the same but it will be interesting to see once it hands over. will be keeping an eye on the reviews.
ski holidays
Hi everyone. Have any of you ever been there early december? (17/12 - 23/12). Are the back pistes marked as Natur probably going to be open? I have never been to Les Arcs and have no idea when it's the best time to visit.
latest report
@satibr, It depends a lot on the conditions but in general many if not most will not be open. They will not have their piste markers up by then.

IMHO the best time to visit the resort is mid to late March when the snow depths are at their maximum and the crowds have left.
snow conditions
Interstingly I just got an email from the Les Arcs tourist information promoting holidays there for All Saints day https://en.lesarcs.com/to-do-in-les-arcs/activities-all-year-round/september-november. I might jsut go and see what is happening but keep a wary eye out for the hunters in the Malgovert forest.
latest report
satibr wrote:
Hi everyone. Have any of you ever been there early december? (17/12 - 23/12). Are the back pistes marked as Natur probably going to be open? I have never been to Les Arcs and have no idea when it's the best time to visit.
I’ve skied the opening week of the season most winters for the last 15 years. The ‘Natur’ pistes are sometimes officially open, but not something you can rely on. As with all resorts at that time of year, snow depths have only started to build up so any off-piste skiing you might want to do depends on good early season snowfall. This can happen, and I’ve had some brilliant days in that week with endless fresh tracks as there are so few people around. But there have also been plenty of times when the off-piste has been thin and scratchy, at best.

If you want to ski off-piste, early season skiing will always have a risk of poor snow. If it’s likely to be your only week of skiing in the winter I think there are better times of the season, mid-March being a good option as John said, although I also like 3rd and 4th week of January. But if you can get away more than once during the season the opening week is a nice time to ski. Gets your winter off to an early start, resorts are quiet and relatively cheap, there’s a nice atmosphere as everyone is happy to be back in the mountains, and there’s a reasonable chance of great snow conditions.
snow report
Afternoon all, I’m looking for an offpiste guide week 3rd Feb next year for the week - any suggestions?
snow report
@Fishmongatti, Bureau des Guides in 1800 next to ESF http://www.guidesdesarcs.com/en/winter-time or Arcadventures, also in 1800, http://www.arcadventures.co.uk/
snow report
I'll be in Les Arcs in mid-December, travelling out on the inaugural new version of the snow train. Will report back!
ski holidays
Discounts available for 6-day passes if bought by 6 November. The discounts seem decent in low season weeks, not so much in school holiday weeks.

https://www.lesarcs-peiseyvallandry.com/en/promo-happy-weeks
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can anyone recommend a ski instructor for intermediate lessons in Arc 1800 ? Only going to be there for 3 days and a lot of places want you to book 4+ blocks, so someone that takes bookings by the day would be ideal.
ski holidays
@rob@rar, that looks very intersting. Trying to work out the dates for each pass took a bit of thinking about as they got the day and month mixed up. The version in French is, however, correct.

I'll be getting a season pass anyway.
snow conditions
@iainm, Can you include what people travelling to La Plagne have to do, previously you could get off the Train at Aime BUT had to board at Les Arcs (because there are no border facilities in Aime)
ski holidays
northernrookie wrote:
Can anyone recommend a ski instructor for intermediate lessons in Arc 1800 ? Only going to be there for 3 days and a lot of places want you to book 4+ blocks, so someone that takes bookings by the day would be ideal.

Not 1800, but 2000. Its not difficult to get over there particularly if your lessons are over lunchtime (often best as its less busy so more lessons and less queues!). Depends when you're going, but I've used Evolution2 for random days before. I found them very good. Can highly recommend Morgan.

Last year they wouldn't take random days over half term. Not sure whether they have applied that policy to less busy times. Worth enquiring with them - they've also been very responsive for me.
latest report
yllen wrote:
northernrookie wrote:

Not 1800, but 2000. Its not difficult to get over there particularly if your lessons are over lunchtime (often best as its less busy so more lessons and less queues!). Depends when you're going, but I've used Evolution2 for random days before. I found them very good. Can highly recommend Morgan.

Last year they wouldn't take random days over half term. Not sure whether they have applied that policy to less busy times. Worth enquiring with them - they've also been very responsive for me.

Cheers! Looking for either 7th or 8th of Jan so should be fine, I'll check them out. Thanks Very Happy
snow report
@northernrookie, some options for independent instructors who might be a bit more flexible at that time of year:

https://www.ski-aim.com/les-arcs-aim-snowsports-jp

https://www.sianski.com/
snow report
northernrookie wrote:

Try aim snowsports they are fantastic & do bookings a.m/p.m or all day. They cover 1800, 1950 & 2000
latest report
This was mentioned in the Guardian on Saturday https://www.lesarcs-peiseyvallandry.com/en/geants-de-malgovert It appears to be where the old Mont Blanc chairlift stopped and the Deux Tetes drag started from the artists impression. I have to wonder what the educational part of giants of bad government are; Trump tower perhaps? Or will it concentrate on the last siting of bears in the area?

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 20-10-23 15:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@johnE, you need to take the full stop off your link
ski holidays
We are going to 1950 this Xmas, having not been to LA for a decade, so a couple of questions.

What are some good mountain restaurants to have lunch at?

Is Evolution2 school still a better choice over ESF. Or are there better ones? In particular, instructors English level.

Are essential/premium passes worth it compared to classic if we are not planning to ski over to LP - kids will have half day lessons, we won't have enough time.
snow report
Might anyone know the status of the Natur' runs, in particular whether they are avalanche controlled?

The piste map describes them as "Natural ungroomed ski run" whilst the website describes them as "ungroomed Natur' itineraries". I don't think these descriptions really give a definitive answer.

Thanks
snow conditions
@Oleski, It depends what you want from a restaurant or "mountain" For a self service meal I often visit the Pre st Espirit, for a burger and chips then rocky mountain in 1600 (just below the Combettes lift) and for waiter served then the Hotel Vanoise in Vallandry. The mushroom above 2000 has a good reputation but can be crowded. The Altiport isn't too bad either nor the burger bar at follies.

As Christmas week can be a bit busy the queue jumping facility of the Essentials pass may be ueful. On average on a very busy week I think it saves me about 30 minutes queuing per day.

@wsirhc, If the Natur pistes are open then they are avalanched controlled, have sufficient snow on them and patrolled. The only real difference is that they are not bashed. They are frequently closed
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy