Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Zillertal 2023/24

Poster: A snowHead
Because of the heavy snowfall overnight there's very little traffic going up to Hintertux this morning from Lanersbach*. I got to the bus stop in Lanersbach about 10 minutes before the 8:45 skibus was due, however no skibus had appeared by 9:15 and as today is the first opening day of the Eggalmbahn lift in Lanersbach I thought I'd ski there today instead. Good call, fresh powder snow, and tree lined runs. Very Happy

* Edit: it turns out that the road up to Hintertux was blocked for several hours because a couple of cars (presumably without winter tyres and/or snow chains) had made the road impassable to other vehicles. rolling eyes

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 3-12-23 20:09; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I reckon 30-50cm of snow down at ours in the valley at 650m.

20231202-074312
20231202-074222
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We are off to Mayrhofen for the first time on 17/12 . Staying until 27/12 so 9 days skiing. Never done more than 6 in one go so really looking forward to this
Weather is looking amazing - just crossing fingers it stays cold now...

I have a couple of queries ...

Staying at the Neue Post - so about 700 metres from the Penken but quite close to the station.
I have booked ski rental at the Bruendl Sport nearest the hotel (Zentrum) - the intention was to store skis and boots at hotel and either use ski bus to get to / from penken ... or station to access rest of the Zillertal ...

I am now wondering if I may be better moving the ski booking to the Bruendl shop in the Penken base station - and renting a ski locker at the base so we can walk to and fro in normal shoes / snowboots.
I would guess we will spend most of our stay skiing locally ... so this might make more sense - especially for my wife who is not a mad keen skier and can then easily finish early - head down and change into normal shoes and go for a potter or a coffee .

The days we plan to head to Hintertux , Zell or Kaltenbach (probably one day at each) - we can either bring skis back to hotel the afternoon before (and go to station straight from hotel) , or just go to Penken as normal and then move from there.

Second question - what is the best way to access the other areas ? Train or bus ? If bus - can these be picked up from the Penken or would we have to go on local ski bus to station and head off from there?

Final question - where is best for tobogganing locally or not too far in the area ? Probably in the evening so with lights ...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@sheffskibod, from memory you can return or change your hire skis at any Bruendl shops in the town including the shop at the top of the Penken lift. There are lockers at the valley (Tal) shop and at the top of the Penken. It’s worth booking if you plan to ski the Mayrhofen mountain area for a few days in a row.

The B bus stop is directly opposite your hotel which will one stop at the station then onto Penken. The A bus stop is around the corner. You won’t want to walk to the Penken in your boots.

The train is convenient for Kaltenbach but for Zell you will have to change to a local ski bus after exiting the train. Still pretty quick tbh.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Matrix wrote:
@sheffskibod, from memory you can return or change your hire skis at any Bruendl shops in the town including the shop at the top of the Penken lift. There are lockers at the valley (Tal) shop and at the top of the Penken. It’s worth booking if you plan to ski the Mayrhofen mountain area for a few days in a row.

The B bus stop is directly opposite your hotel which will one stop at the station then onto Penken. The A bus stop is around the corner. You won’t want to walk to the Penken in your boots.

The train is convenient for Kaltenbach but for Zell you will have to change to a local ski bus after exiting the train. Still pretty quick tbh.

Much appreciated ! I will get in touch with Bruendl now to sort locker at least...

edit - all sorted via their online system - its very slick... booking amended to Penken bottom station and locker for 4 people added .
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Forgot your question on tobogganing. We have never actually done it with the family but I believe at Gerlosstein there is a night track which you would access via the ski lift. I have also seen it advertised at Bichlalm in Tux. I have been there in the summer and it’s a good 35-40 mins walk up the road (assume this is the track) to the Hutte.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Matrix, haven't done it either, but think you're right re gerlosstein. It's directly opposite our apartment so I'll be able to confirm soon!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@swskier, nice location!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Amazing time above Hochkrimml today. Last run out had waist deep powder. Some really nice pockets. If you’re willing to do it the hard way, the area around handlalm is brilliant.

They are running the Duxeralmbahn but not indicating it as such on the website. So not many people around. Going to be fun tomorrow.

First time I’ve ever been checked for snow chains. Roads were blanketed with snow.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Legendarry, I have never managed to get there and back to Zell. We get to the Plattenkogel x press and then turn back! Need to make it down to Hochkrimml this year.

Did you have to drive over the pass from the Zillertal?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I’m staying in Neukirchen am Großvenediger. I drove this morning via 165. Was checked during that drive. This evening I drove back via Krimml. So the opposite way I believe.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We went for a little snow shoe just before it got dark on our Hofer snow shoes. It was just a little dog walk next to our apartment that we do normally. I was up to knee deep in the snow, even with snow shoes on! Mrs Swskier was up to mid thigh!

Mayrhofen ski area via the Horbergbahn for me tomorrow, now that none of my mates were able to make it over to Munich/Austria today and up to Tux!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If Carlsberg did Sundays.....

20231203-085101
20231203-091057
20231203-101845
20231203-101847
20231203-114044

One thing i've learnt this weekend, is how to use my snow chains! Hands have just about thawed out now Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Because of the ample snow that has fallen in the last few days the No.1 red run 'die Schwarze Pfanne' from Sommerberg down to Hintertux in the valley is now open.

snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wow! Fantastic photos @swskier Very Happy Thanks for posting.
latest report
@swskier, wow. Amazing for Dec
ski holidays
swskier wrote:

One thing i've learnt this weekend, is how to use my snow chains! Hands have just about thawed out now Laughing

Get yourself a pair of heavy duty marigolds to fit them and some de-icer to help removing them, I've never had cold hands fitting or removing chains and I've had plenty of practice Toofy Grin. The alternative is an Allrad with good winter / spiked tyres where conditions have to be really bad before you need chains. I don't know how it is where you live but a lot of locals who live above the valley floor here have spikes as I did too. Currently living in village with Audi TT quatro and don't need to use car every day so no chains for me ( can't fit them anyway without buying narrower tyres).
ski holidays
@Chris_n, putting them on and taking them off with no gloves was probably my downfall Laughing also, leaving them on overnight was a terrible idea.

We're only 50m up from the valley floor, so I doubt we'll need them too often, but I'll definitely be buying some gloves to keep in the van at all times!
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, I noticed that opened on Friday on the hintertux Instagram account. That was closed this week last year when I was here for my L2.
ski holidays
I actually didn't think there was a run down, I thought it was a really thin off piste ski route type thing?

Maybe it was just closed when I skied it
ski holidays
8611 wrote:
I actually didn't think there was a run down, I thought it was a really thin off piste ski route type thing?

Maybe it was just closed when I skied it

That's 1a down through the trees, starts by the the side of the Somerbergalm excellent when it's open.

No.1 red run Schwarze Pfanne probably the best run on the mountain when it's in condition (my opinion only)
ski holidays
Does anyone know what ski school crystal etc use for their group lessons in mayrhofen? We're sorting ourselves out, but my partner wants some group lessons (/time with people other than me...), and would prefer to be with other English speakers!
latest report
Mrs Swskier sent me this picture from work this morning (Unterbergalm). They're not open until Saturday, but are in prepping ready...

IMG-20231205-WA0006
ski holidays
@swskier, that’s a wonderful piste and such a great place to have heiße Schokolade mit Rum Smile
latest report
Great photo @swskier
Quote:
that’s a wonderful piste and such a great place to have heiße Schokolade mit Rum
Where is it @Matrix? Is it the place off Horberg summit, above Mayrhofen Puzzled
snow conditions
@mountainaddict, its red 15 down to the Unterbergalm lift, and the restaurant is called the Unterbergalm (unsprisingly Laughing )
snow report
It’s a shame the piste doesn’t extend further but I think it ends in the stream and rocks below. If they could get it down to the Mosel it would be fantastic. But that would mean more wildlife issues and you would need to bridge the stream.
snow report
@mountainaddict, it’s where the preseason race teams sometimes go. They occasionally have a Europa ski race there.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
its red 15 down to the Unterbergalm lift,
It's shown (incorrectly) as piste no. 27 on the piste map shown on the Unterbergalm restaurant's website Smile

snow report
Very old map! There is a new lift and piste since then.
snow report
@mountainaddict, their website is pretty out of date I think Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:
Very old map! There is a new lift and piste since then.
- - - - - - - -
Their website is pretty out of date I think
Smile
latest report
Been looking at the White Lounge (ie ice bar on the Ahorn) link on the Mayrhofen website. Is there no longer any Igloo Hotel associated with it? Spent a lovely night there for Mrs MA's birthday a few years ago - but now seemingly no sign of it?
ski holidays
swskier wrote:
Mrs Swskier sent me this picture from work this morning (Unterbergalm). They're not open until Saturday, but are in prepping ready...

I thought that was where the races were held yesterday and over the weekend.
snow report
swskier wrote:
@Chris_n, putting them on and taking them off with no gloves was probably my downfall Laughing also, leaving them on overnight was a terrible idea.

We're only 50m up from the valley floor, so I doubt we'll need them too often, but I'll definitely be buying some gloves to keep in the van at all times!

I've had to leave them on for weeks before now, just squirt de-icer on the joining link and depending on type the tensioner and off they come. I guess it just one of those things you get used to doing.
latest report
@rjs, it was and also today for the men's. The piste and lift was open for racers only, but the restaurant is shut until Saturday.
snow report
Hey all. I'll be going to Kaltenbach in January for 6 days and will buy a Zillertal Superski pass for those days.

From what I've seen there is no pick-up location in Kaltenbach or Fugen, is that correct? Do you know the best option to get the passes, considering I'll be coming by train from Munich? My plan was to pick it up the day before I start skiing, in either Zell or Mayhofern, depending on which one is easier to get to and back. Don't even know if it's posible to pick-it up a day before the tickets start being valid.
snow report
satibr wrote:
Hey all. I'll be going to Kaltenbach in January for 6 days and will buy a Zillertal Superski pass for those days.

From what I've seen there is no pick-up location in Kaltenbach or Fugen, is that correct?

No, incorrect. There's a ticket office (Kassa) at the bottom of the Kaltenbach gondola station. Just buy your Zillertal Superski pass there on your first morning.
latest report
Alastair Pink wrote:
No, incorrect. There's a ticket office (Kassa) at the bottom of the Kaltenbach gondola station. Just buy your Zillertal Superski pass there on your first morning.

Great to know! It's weird that they don't show that on the pick-up locations on the Zillertal website, I guess it's not updated. Do you know if it's possible to pick up a day before and pay online? I usually prefer to do that in advance
ski holidays
Nipped out for a long lunch break today (2hrs) and had a quick ski.

Up Horbergbahn, then Tappenalm, 150er Tux, Horbergjoch, Wanglspitz, Mittertrettlift and then back down the Horbergbahn.

Beautiful weather, and this is one of the things I've been looking forward to working in to my working life now that we're living over here.

20231207-115823
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy