Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Zillertal 2023/24

Poster: A snowHead
That's great, thank you @Scooter in Seattle,
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Dubmuffin, Thanks, great info. I'd already spotted El Toro, so I will get that booked.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@grumpygargoyle, I understand @Scooter in Seattle's point, however I'd say bus it. That way you can get there for the earlier lifts and have a full day up there.

I was off work today and skied with 2 friends that are out for a few days and we went up to Hintertux. Snow was amazing, but visibility anywhere above Tuxer Fernerhaus this morning was terrible, so we just lapped around Sommerberg for the afternoon before skiing right back down to the valley, which was very slushy for the lower half of the run. Nice day though, beats being in work snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@swskier, I defer to your local knowledge, which I have benefited from. But I do wonder if the decision should be based on looking at the WebCams in the morning. My concern is that the glacier will still be flat light first thing in the morning, whereas the lower areas might - repeat might- be a little bit better, especially where there is some tree cover. An hour down low while those surfaces are still good might make some sense, and give the skies a chance to clear up top where the snow will hang in there further into the day. i’m headed there are myself tomorrow, here’s hoping for some sun!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Scooter in Seattle, when we checked the weather on Tuesday night it was saying snowing everywhere, and then Wednesday morning was showing sun with cloud everywhere, so thought it would be ok. Plus 1 visitor really wanted to "tick off" skiing on a glacier. So you're right, it probably wasn't the best option, but, it kept them relatively happy Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@swskier, All good. I have a first timer with me today, and we’re up on the glacier now. Obviously much better snow but pretty crowded. Plenty of sun with just a little flat light in places.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Last day in Mayrhofen today, and continuing the pattern of generally getting warmer. I think it must have been 10C or so up top. Still, the rain which was originally forecast held off today. Mayrhofen definitely rather crowded today. Hochzillertal yesterday was less so, as was Zillertal Arena the day before (once we packed in our plan to do the standard route from one end of the resort to the other, which everybody was obviously doing. At Hochzillertal yesterday we skied the very long black down to Hochfugen and had it completely to ourselves, didn't come across a single other skier.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@J2R, How was the Neuhaus this time?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm still confused by this rain, is it actually due to rain up the mountain ? Surely it will be okay up the raskogel
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I’m heading up the glacier now, no precip, broken clouds. Top looks like iffy viz, I’m staying mid mtn
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@JimboS, Neuhaus was absolutely excellent. Excellent food, great spa, very comfy rooms. Not as convenient as some for Penkenbahn (although only 1 stop on very frequent bus), but right next to railway station so great for other resorts in valley. We went twice to Kaltenbach, once to Zell am Ziller.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snow was pretty good all week in Zillertal, although a bit slushy in the afternoon below 1500m or so. No problems with cover, though, above maybe 1000m. Slopes below that were usually closed apart from slushy strips of white across green pastures to the bottom lifts. So much skiing in the area, though, that this was not a problem.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Our work had a "ski tag" today which was held in Zell am Ziller.
€30 for a day pass including lunch in the Weisenalm restaurant. €10 just for lunch if you have a season pass already. And for partners it was €35! A steal.

So we spent the day up there with some work friends of mine. I've only skied Zell 3 times, once last season and twice this season, and have only ever gone as far as Gerlos. So today, we set out on a mission, to do the full arena tour right over to Hochkrimml and back to the Zell middle station for lunch. We set off at 0830 and were back to the weisenalm around 1330. A big morning, especially in the ever softening snow and our ribs and fries lunch was well earned!

20240316-104543

Slopes over at Hochkrimml particularly were great, really enjoyed the area over there, will have to make an effort to get over there more often.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've been avoiding doing the tour over to Gerlos etc for the last decade or so due to the old Krimml Xpress and the chances of freezing to death. We may give it another try next week and try out the new gondola. Does it do the same dog leg route as the old chair?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@JimboS, The route is the same but is far more comfortable than before. I think there is still one old, short lift that hasn't been replaced yet going towards Gerlos.
ski holidays
Form the Penken webcam it looks like the Ahorn home run is broken. That's a shame as it's one of my favourites. I don't remember it ever being closed at this time of the year before.
snow conditions
@JimboS, it starts and finishes in the same place, but it doesn't have that 90 degree turn halfway. Instead it heads straight to the top station

Screenshot-2024-03-17-at-16-55-54

Run down Ahorn is broken as you say. As is every home run in the valley now. Snow cover above 1500m or so is decent, but down here in the valley it's been warm for quite some time now.

Another beautiful day here again. Kaltenbach for GS training this morning, where there was also some other Brits training in the form of Excel Race Academy.

20240317-085236

Then back to the house, quick change and up to the Mösslbahn for a tour with the dog to the Unterbergalm where the OH was working. Had some lunch up there before taking the dog back down to the van, then coming back up again to ski down with the OH at the end of the day, down the black run to the middle station of the Mösslbahn.

20240317-125702

A great weekend all in all snowHead
snow conditions
@swskier, how about you he run down to Rastkogelbahn, if that's also closed it makes it impossible to ski back from the Vogelnest.
ski holidays
@JimboS, I skied it last weekend, super slushy but open. Presumably they're keeping it going as much as possible and moving snow around if needed.
latest report
Great, let's hope it says open till the end of the month. I remember we did the run a few years ago when it was closed and we had to do the walk of shame for the last 100m.
snow conditions
https://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&lat=47.16667&lon=11.86667
snow conditions
Next weekend looking a bit interesting
snow conditions
Wow we arrive on Saturday, could be 'interesting' and somewhat of a relief to see temps dropping a good bit and a momentary return to winter, how certain is this forecast as we stand, 4/5 days out?
snow report
@neilkav, who knows! But fingers crossed. We arrive Saturday too.
ski holidays
Yes, Rastkogelbahn run was open when we did it a few days ago. Very slushy and mogully at the bottom, would be very tricky skiing for a beginner, but doable. They have to keep it open, really, as it's the only way back over to Mayrhofen from the Eggalm area without taking the bus (and I suspect the other run to the bottom for the main Eggalm lift is in no better shape).
latest report
Incidentally, for what it's worth, I found the Meteoblue forecast (https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/week/penken_austria_2769135) to be far more accurate for the holiday than other sites like Bergfex and snow-forecast, so I think that's what I'll be using in future.
snow report
Looks like a lot of snow at the start of next week then, hope the sun also comes back out as that's what I hope for at the end of season. I don't mind slush as long as it's warm and sunny.
latest report
J2R wrote:
Yes, Rastkogelbahn run was open when we did it a few days ago. Very slushy and mogully at the bottom, would be very tricky skiing for a beginner, but doable. They have to keep it open, really, as it's the only way back over to Mayrhofen from the Eggalm area without taking the bus (and I suspect the other run to the bottom for the main Eggalm lift is in no better shape).

The part of the run just below the Chrisler Alm always seems to be the worst, they don't seem to piste it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@JimboS, I think it would be a lot worse than it is if they didn't piste it at all. I assume they must also be dumping snow onto it on a regular basis to keep it open.
snow report
Looks like a good dump at the weekend followed by a bit of sun in the week ahead, amount of sun varies by forecaster. Starting to get excited about a bit of pow Sunday/Monday.
snow conditions
Yes, stupidly continuing to look at the forecasts even after coming home and making myself very envious! Smile
latest report
In Mayrhofen at the moment, very soft underfoot, what's it like in Zillertal arena or Kaltenbach, thinking of having a day out for some variety
ski holidays
@kb36, likely very similar. Certainly the snow in lower slopes of Hochfügen looked very slushy and chopped up this afternoon.

I'm off to Hintertux tomorrow for the best chance of good snow.
latest report
Weighing up a first trip to visit Mayrhofen for a long weekend - would be leaving Monday on the EJ 6.10pm flight from INN-LGW. Are the train options as straightforward as they seem for transfers, and roughly what time would I need to leave the slopes to get down and make it back to the airport?
snow conditions
@Pejoli, trains are really quite easy, but take nearly double the length of a transfer.

Mayrhofen to Jenbach is roughly 55 minutes.
Jenbach to Innsbruck Hauptbahnhof is 15-25 mins depending on what train you get.
Then the bus from hauptbahnhof to the airport is around 15 minutes.

If you're going hand luggage only, you wouldn't need too long at the airport as its tiny, so you could easily ski until 1/1.30 and make it for the flight. You could probably push it out to 2 depending on your risk appetite!
snow report
Schoolboy error booking up during Austria school holidays next week. Hope it's not too busy. Confused
snow report
Hope not - I’ve just booked my flights for tomorrow -> Monday!
snow report
So next questions, if I may:
- recommendations for places to stay ? I saw Neuhaus mentioned up stream, I also see alpenhoterl kramerwirt at a similar location/pricepoint/features. Any other strong recommendations? Would like a sauna and ideally pool.
- assuming I’m at one of the above, suggestions for ski hire?
- My daughter couldn’t make this trip, so I’m coming on my own. Restaurant-wise, are there any more casual eating places for evening meals where I won’t feel too much of the ‘table for Herr Keine -Freunde’
- finally, do I need to book rail ahead of time (not that there’s much of that), or can I just as easily rock up and book at the kiosk/machine?
snow report
I can only speak of the Neuhaus, where I was last week, which I thought was great. It has a pool (small, maybe 15m) and great sauna area. As regards eating by yourself, there was a guy who ate by himself in the area of the restaurant we were in and it didn't look in any way 'Herr Keine-Freunde'. I took my own skis but had had recommended to me Ian Kilgour's Rent For Fun (https://www.rentforfun.eu/en/), and the friend I was with was very happy with the place. They only keep the skis for a year so don't rent out worn out old skis.
ski holidays
Hotels at the top end of the village are handy for the lift but can be noisy if the town is busy. In years gone by we tended to stay up at the top end of the village to avoid having to walk too far in ski boots, however now that the lift station has a huge locker area in the basement we tend to stay further afield.

Top of village options with a pool would be the Strass or Mannis. Stayed at both multiple times but wouldn't hurry back to either.

As for bigger hotels at the bottom of the village with an indoor pool, you have the Neu Post, pretty good, some rooms close to the church bell, Kramerwirt, again with some rooms close to the bell and the Neuhaus, which I'm in this time for the first time.

Mid village you have the Elisabeth, which is child free, if I'd realised it was a school holiday I probably would have booked there again this time.

As for informal restaurants/bars, there are lots up and down the main street, too many to choose from.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy