Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Zillertal 2023/24

Poster: A snowHead
@JimboS, Sorry to hear that. Fran remembers who you were, based on the time etc you were in!

Hopefully you'll be able to claim some money back via insurance?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Weather looks great today, hope you all have a great day. I tried to get a refund on my lift ticket but no joy. Let me know if anyone can use the remainder of my week pass.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@JimboS, that seems a bit mean, as they can simply cancel it to stop anyone else using it. Disappointing.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
JimboS wrote:
Weather looks great today, hope you all have a great day. I tried to get a refund on my lift ticket but no joy. Let me know if anyone can use the remainder of my week pass.

That is stingy - but your insurance should also cover costs due to curtailment - for my wife (and daughter this Xmas when she damaged her arm snowboarding on day 3) they refunded pro-rated cost of lift ticket and ski hire.

(In fact when my wife had her accident, they covered the cost of an apartment we’d accidentally booked for the following week and couldn’t use or cancel - my wife had a different view to me on what ‘going skiing at the end of March’ meant. We just told insurance we couldn’t use it, and hey presto. Silver linings and all that)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JimboS wrote:

Yes, conditions were lovely. Got an early start, and caught some corduroy still on 25-27, then headed over and up the schneekar, where I spent most of the morning - all the reds and the black 12 were superb. I planned to go up the 150 as well, but could see there was a massive queue, so just stayed put and lapped the runs as they were so much fun. Glad I stayed up high - snow was quite sugary down the bottom. Wrapped up at 1.45, and got back down in good time - the newhaus let me keep the room, which made life even easier.

All in all, fantastic 3 1/2 days worth of skiing despite some no-viz in the middle - a small price to pay for all the new snow. Mayrhofen is such a great option for a short trip, thanks for everyone’s advice!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What was your assessment of the Neuhaus, @Pejoli?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Pejoli, glad you enjoyed it. Sounds like you've also got plenty more to come back and have a go at as well snowHead

We've been in Hochfügen today, i've been teach the sister-in-law and her fella. Surprised how many British voices were up there, but seems like a big school trip there this week.

Lovely day out there today snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
J2R wrote:
What was your assessment of the Neuhaus, @Pejoli?

Very pleased with it - I thought the facilities were great, I was only b&b so didn’t get to experience the evening meals, but the breakfasts were hard to beat. And the pools and wellness areas were very good spec (shame the hammam was out of action on my last night)

I was in a one bedroom apartment (under a minutes walk across the road) - nice bed and bathroom facilities, sizeable living/kitchen - no oven but hob, microwave and dishwasher. We generally go that route as a family as we like our own communal living space, so know the drill.

So a definite recommend from me.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Pejoli, yes, breakfasts are pretty amazing there (as they tend to be at the good Austrian hotels, had the same in Obergurgl). We ended up waddling out to ski in the morning after enormous breakfasts and didn't need more than a bowl of soup at lunchtime up the mountain. What with the very large (and good) evening meals, I'm amazed I didn't put on weight. Then again, I did ski hard from early on until last lifts every day, got to burn up a few calories.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@JimboS, very sorry to hear about the accident. Hope the recovery goes well. Best
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Today (and rest of week) was very windy. We got up the Penken and shortly after all the lifts closed except the board park area. A real shame as had we known we would have made our way back to Hockzillertal which seemed to have managed to keep some lifts open. Tomorrow better planning and with some luck we will get to ski! Prob is the wind from the south looks set to stay until early next week. The wind is hot, and it’s killing the snow!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We managed to get a couple of very good days in early this week including a fantastic day with a guide at Hintertux, very happy to recommend if anyone wants to use a guide in the valley. We spent the day offpiste with some easy skinning found fresh tracks in good pow all day. If I could work out how to post pictures I would send some shots.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 27-03-24 17:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Matrix, when all of Mayrhofen and Zillertal Arena were shut down by wind one day a couple of weeks ago when we were there, we got a good day's skiing in at Hochfugen by heading to Kaltenbach and up to Hochzillertal then straight over. The links shut down a bit later but we were able to get back by taking the bus down to Fugen and picking up the train there. Hochfugen is clearly somewhat more sheltered, presumable because of aspect. (Mind you, that obviously depends on wind direction - not sure what it was when we were there, but from the south, I think).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@J2R, thanks good tip!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Matrix, out of interest who did you use as a guide? I'm considering trying to get on a group ski tour before the end of the season!
latest report
@swskier,

+43 664 3977884
info@skiguides-zillertal.at
www.skiguides-zillertal.at

https://www.bergskifuehrer.at/en/about

Name is Christoph Garber
latest report
I have also used Mountain Sports Zillertal in the past and had a good experience.
snow report
@Matrix, thanks. Mountain Sports Zillertal website I have open as they do group ski tours, and our dog sitter is next door to them! Will check them all out.
ski holidays
@Matrix, how much did the guiding cost? I'd love to do this some time, but cost is a potential issue.
latest report
@swskier, Armin (spelling?) or Bernie are good.
ski holidays
@J2R, it was only 2 of us so expensive at 490 euro total. Much cheaper is a group of 6. Always ask the size of the group. More than 6 a problem in my view.
ski holidays
@Matrix, expensive pro rata, you mean? The guiding would have been 490 Euro however many?
snow report
@J2R, I am not sure but would have thought it would be much cheaper in a group.
snow report
Yes, clearly 490 euros divided between 6 would be cheaper per person than 490 euros divided between 2. My question was whether or not the guide would be charging the same total price for a group of 6 as he or she would for a group of 2. There are reasons why the total charge for a group of 6 might be higher.
snow report
Wind forecast very dodgy again for tomorrow at Mayerhofen, thinking about heading to Kaltenbach / Hochfugen, are they likely to open their access gondolas? 55 kph wind forecast or would it be a wasted journey? Also sorry finally is it a direct train from Mayerhofen to Kaltenbach?
snow conditions
@neilkav, i'm not sure re wind, however for the train, yes, it's direct from Mayrhofen to Kaltenbach, it's then roughly a 5 minute walk to the station. If you don't want to do that in ski boots, there are lockers available at the top of the lift that you can rent to leave shoes in.
latest report
swskier wrote:
@neilkav, i'm not sure re wind, however for the train, yes, it's direct from Mayrhofen to Kaltenbach, it's then roughly a 5 minute walk to the station. If you don't want to do that in ski boots, there are lockers available at the top of the lift that you can rent to leave shoes in.

Thanks so much!!
ski holidays
@J2R, sorry I don’t know. Each guide would have a different price scale.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We managed to ski a full day from Zell over to Konigsleiten. Lifts closed at various times due to wind but made it there and back.

It was snowing quite heavily down to 1500m.
snow report
@Matrix, seems you got lucky there. Well done!
snow conditions
I've only seen the Penken gondola shut once in all my trips there in the last 25 years, twice in one week seems pretty unlucky. Hope everyone managed to get to a slope somewhere today.

Kim is now into the NHS system, they may operate on her shoulder but will wait for two weeks and x-ray again and see how it looks then. Damage to her ACL and MCL but will not need an operation for that, just rest and physio.

We have a trip planned in June to the Hof, hiking, climbing, cycling and skiing at Hintertux. Depending on Kim's recovery it may turn out to be more relaxation and Euros watching. Looking forwards to the Scotland Germany opening game at Mike's Sports Bar.

Stay safe everyone. Cool
ski holidays
@JimboS, good luck to Kim and her recovery.

The Penken is closed again today and looks (from the forecast) that tomorrow could be closed too. Never mind we have a few days next week to ski so hope it’s not too windy.

Incidentally we heard that a massive storm in the summer left people stuck in the gondolas for several hours and now they are super careful in high winds. Not sure if that’s true!? But lots of trees along the valley got knocked down by the wind.
snow conditions
Have been here a week, 3 good days skiing in kaltenbach and penken. For the other 3 days 80% to 90% of the lifts were shut. What was open was extremely busy. We tried Kaltenbach yesterday but there were 1hr queues to get on the 2 chairs running, and not enough running to keep you high, away from the crowds. We got a refund on our pass today, and the lift office wouldnt sell passes for sunday as they expect the wind to be too strong for anything substantial to be open. Locals are saying that this weeks shutdown is unprecendented, and with the warm temps, rain, and the Easter crowds not sure how well the pistes will hold up. Came the same week last year, no issues with wind, was colder and the ahorn resort run was open, will have to book earlier in 2025 i think.
latest report
@Nelson1j, we also went to Kaltenbach yesterday. Went over to Hochfugen which meant empty piste and no queues but then had to take the bus down the valley which is a pain.

Today only the Mayrhofen board park.

The Sahara sand arrived overnight so now everything is yellow. Looks like snow on Monday thank god.

Tomorrow we will find something else to do. Pool etc
snow report
Can recommend the walk to Zell am Ziller, lunch in town with a beer and then the train back…..Hope the snow arrives for you, it is a great area, plenty to do, and will be back to do the zillertal arena tour…..
snow report
@JimboS, fingers crossed for a good/quick recovery. We might even cross paths in the summer.

@Nelson1j, It's been so warm for weeks now, I could count on one hand the number of mornings we've woken up with a frost in the valley since about the start of February.

@Matrix, have a look at getting the bus from Mayrhofen towards Gerlos. Get off at the bus stop "Gerlos Gh Kühle Rast" and from there take a walk to the Jausenstation Schwarzachtal. It's roughly 2.5km each way with a lovely little rustic hut for food and drink.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/UxkhjVneLdYAJA5VA

https://maps.app.goo.gl/v8LpbG3SCTK9zLu58

It's cash only if you do decide to do so! If you scroll back through the thread you'll see some pictures of us doing it.

We tried our best to do race training this morning. We planned on SL as we wouldn't be able to set gates in the wind, however, they weren't able to open any lifts on that side of Kaltenbach, so we just freeskied a few hours on what was open in Kaltenbach.

This afternoon we then headed round to Hochfügen so I could teach the SiL and her fella again. Busy round there as there was a kids race on, as well as 2 English school trips on their first day of lessons. Great afternoon though, and SiL started to break through her nervous wall and let the skis run a bit snowHead snowHead
latest report
@swskier, the snow has taken a real battering with this foehn over the past week. No frost since Feb insane. Thank you for the hut tip.

Quick mention of the Green Room. This year they have new Mindbender free ride ski, the new Armada ARV in 94 and 84 (think sizes right) and new Salomon QST 106. Very decent selection if you fancy something for the spring corn or (pray) powder. No skis with tech binding though which is a shame.
snow report
@Nelson1j, thanks for the tip. Might do that.
snow report
Mayrhofen closed again today due to wind. Went to Kaltenbach to ski. Busy, and snow on the east facing runs was slow, soft, sugary and heavy in places. Difficult for beginners.

However, the wind was fine on the open runs, and helped keep our temperature down on a warm day. The higher north facing runs down from Wedelexpress and Topjet were in decent shape and a lot of fun to ski. Very grippy snow.

Wind lowered as the day went on and we're expecting Penken area to open tomorrow, with some rain/snow depending on altitude.
ski holidays
Should add, despite the busy nature, lift queues were moving, and didn’t feel too horrendous.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy