Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Zillertal 2023/24

Poster: A snowHead
swskier wrote:
@Chris_n, enjoy, i'll be in the office Crying or Very sad

Those racer kids are something else, experienced some absolute tw*ts from an Italian race club yesterday on the lift down from Tuxer Fernerhaus.

Not sure if they're entitled a-holes, or just general a-holes!

I'll give you a long distance wave (I think you are working in Jenbach) as we turn into Zillertal. Not worried about race kids being a-holes, I've been around plenty of them over the years. Usually during the week it's not so many kids but plenty of late teen wannabees and at the moment plenty of FIS level national teams with a few Masters racers for good measure wink
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
swskier wrote:
@Chris_n, enjoy, i'll be in the office Crying or Very sad

Those racer kids are something else, experienced some absolute tw*ts from an Italian race club yesterday on the lift down from Tuxer Fernerhaus.

Not sure if they're entitled a-holes, or just general a-holes!

We have those over here, too. IME they are the former. Although maybe I'm just jealous of the start they've gotten. Nice to read about somebody getting snow; we're going backwards right now.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@SaraJ,
Hi Sara,
I pm got a problem on my inbox

Forst
Graham
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Glorious day on Hintertux today, -10 at the top when we got up there first thing. Lots of racers as usual at this time of year but most of them were older than last weeks school holiday groups. Got across to the Olperer T bars just as they were opening so were first on the pistes there before they got covered in gates. Snow was a little windblown and quite soft as it is still quite dry with the low temps. Run down to Fernerhaus is still a lot of man made with icy patches appearing as the day goes on.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Chris_n, sounds very similar conditions to the weekend, minus the strong winds! Glad it was a good day
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Judging from the latest Instagram post, skiing down to Sommerberg will be open from this weekend snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@swskier, wow that's quick. It looked skiable on the webcams but thought it might only be superficial coverage.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@8611, definitely wasn't last Wednesday, with some work after last Thursday/Fridays snowfall it could have been potentially, and then there's been more up there again today. Will be interesting to see what they open, whether it's just the run down from Tuxer Fernerhaus, or if they open the TuxerJoch chair also.

I'll be up on one of the days this weekend, and in Stubai the other.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
They were running (testing) the Sommerberg chair from the run down from Fernerhaus yesterday, looks like opening in time for weekend. I think after this weekends expected snowfall the Tuxerjoch chair etc will be open, they were making snow there yesterday morning.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snow cannons working away on the Penken Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Chris_n, excellent, I'll have a bit more to go at then on the weekend snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Run down to Sommerberg open now along with the chair up to Sommerberg. The T Bar at Sommerberg is opening too but still no sign of Tuxerjoch chair opening.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Chris_n, you understand better German than I do cos I had no idea what the old guy on their social media video was saying Laughing

Forecast has worsened for the weekend, winds going to be higher than forecasted earlier in the week.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skied a couple of hours up there today. Fresh snow again, and cold at the top. Pistes are all soft, no use for what I want to work on in my skiing Laughing

Skiing down to Sommerberg as mentioned, it's not particularly nice tbh, man made base that's very scrapped.

Back up again tomorrow, but first thing and done by lunch as it'll cloud over and get very windy by then.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
swskier wrote:
Skied a couple of hours up there today. Fresh snow again, and cold at the top. Pistes are all soft, no use for what I want to work on in my skiing Laughing

Skiing down to Sommerberg as mentioned, it's not particularly nice tbh, man made base that's very scrapped.

Back up again tomorrow, but first thing and done by lunch as it'll cloud over and get very windy by then.

Pistes will stay soft until it warms up then cools, it was all good dry powder so likely won't firm up until there is some moisture in it. I always find the run to Sommerberg disappointing as it is usually narrow and scrapped in places particularly towards the bottom but you have to bear in mind I only go there pre season so my view is probably somewhat tainted.
ski holidays
@Chris_n, skied it a fair amount last December on my L2 and I don't mind it, but today it was not enjoyable, especially as I was skiing like i'd never worn skis before.
latest report
swskier wrote:
@Chris_n, skied it a fair amount last December on my L2 and I don't mind it, but today it was not enjoyable, especially as I was skiing like i'd never worn skis before.

Prefer 2a
ski holidays
Thoroughly enjoyed it last May, but felt like a bizarre novelty being able to ski that much that late.

I was wondering if artificial created a "bad" base and would it be better for skiers if resorts waited for natural snow? Will that scrapey later be there all season now I wonder?
snow conditions
Whitegoldsbrother wrote:
swskier wrote:

Prefer 2a

Likewise but that was closed yesterday but showing as in preparation today, as is the 6 man chair lift from halfway down run 2a as well.

They also had the piste basher out over in the Sommerberg area making the piste down from Tuxerjochhaus, and they've clearly made out the remaining pistes by the 2nd Kaserer t-bar, so I'd imagine there'll be more opening up soon.
snow report
They will try and get as much open for next weekend as there is often a lot of Slovak and Czechs there for the freedom public holidays. Can be quite busy with camper vans in the car park. We have had to queue in some years for several km down The Valley road. Watch the traffic forecast and consider getting up there for 7.30am latest next weekend.
ski holidays
@Matrix, fortunately(!?) I'll be in Jenbach for 6am next Saturday to lead the physical stock count of all our inventory at work so i'll miss those queues Shocked Laughing I'll then be driving back to the UK after that, so no skiing now until the first weekend of December for me when a load of people I know will be out here for various trips/exams.
snow report
Piste 2a and Lärmstange 1 opened today, and they've confirmed on Instagram an hour ago that 4er Tuxerjoch will be opening on Saturday. 40km of piste in total
snow report
Super. Solden has a remarkable 60km open per skiresortinfo. Cervinia and Zermatt might be following suit.
ski holidays
Resorts with glaciers rather than glaciers with some additional runs. Still impressive though.

Looked like some rain fell today? Colder days to come?
snow report
@Matrix, wouldn't be surprised if it rained, it's not very cold down in the valley, and when I had a quick glance at the website earlier, Sommerberg webcam was showing as +3 degrees
latest report
Now this is looking quite exciting!

https://www.bergfex.at/mayrhofen/wetter/berg/

A month now until I get to ski again in the Zillertal. Praying the cold continues.
snow report
@Matrix, we're back from the UK next Monday super late, or Tuesday, and expecting to be driving on snow in the valley. Hoping I can get a ski in on Tuesday before i'm back in work on Wednesday as forecast looks great.
ski holidays
@swskier, over the years I have only once had to use chains on the valley floor. Up to Hintertux several times. Good luck!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I always said that red 5 down to the Schlegeis chair was under graded. Its now black 6.
latest report
I'm surprised at that, presumably there have been a few accidents on the steep section

I've some great ice pics from half way down, I'll see if I can dig them out.
latest report
This was occasionally accessible half way down red 5, I always said, don't go in, if a flake of ice falls off, it will kill you, I was always ignored.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 22-11-23 19:51; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
JimboS wrote:
I'm surprised at that, presumably there have been a few accidents on the steep section

I've some great ice pics from half way down, I'll see if I can dig them out.

Or maybe the clue is in the word steep
latest report
Even in good years the ice can show through. Not surprised either.
ski holidays
Hochfügen is opening this weekend, just for the weekend. The weather forecast looks pretty wild, so we'll see how much snow actually lands and stays Laughing
Then it will be open for the season from the 1st December.
There's already the start of a good base, so hopefully with the snow that's coming over the next week, we'll have a good start to the season.
Quote:

I was wondering if artificial created a "bad" base and would it be better for skiers if resorts waited for natural snow? Will that scrapey later be there all season now I wonder?

According to the guys who control the snow cannons in Hochfügen, they prefer to get a good man-made base early in the season. They specifically adjust the settings to ensure a higher water content/more icy layer for the base because it is more durable and being more compressed will last longer towards the end of the season.
ski holidays
@SaraJ, interesting I was wondering what was best and thought natural would be

I wonder what is best for the skier as opposed to the resort!
ski holidays
We got back from the UK at 3am on Tuesday morning in the end. Snowing most of the way back from South Belgium, and the banks on the sides of the motorway were white, and it was settling on the roads in the outside lanes at the higher areas of the journey.

Woke up Tuesday morning to this lovely view though...

20231128-104933

I went up for a ski around 1pm in the end, fairly windy up there so stuck around the Sommerberg area. Met up with the IASI L2 telemark course as I knew some people on there, as well as meeting Snowheads very own SkiMottaret.

Road up to Hintertux was clear on the way up, but snow covered down to Finkenberg by the time I drove back around 5.
snow conditions
Big change in the Bergfex forecast for the valley from yesterday morning through to today. Added another 40cm across two days. Looks to be snowing up top. Huge amount expected on the meterociel for Penken.

https://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&lat=47.16667&lon=11.86667
snow report
I arrived in Lanersbach yesterday evening, having flown in to Munich. I'm up at Hintertux today for the Freeheeler Telemark event. It's quite flat light and overcast today, tomorrow is forecast to be similar but Sunday should be a blue sky day. Here's a photo from Tuxer Fernerhaus, they're preparing the race course in front of the Tuxer Fernerhaus for a FIS Telemark sprint race today and tomorrow. Jasmin Taylor should be taking part, so I'll be cheering her on!

snow report
@Alastair Pink, keep your eyes out for the IASI group on their L2 Tele course.

I'll be up Sunday, and it's set to be incredible!
ski holidays
I love reading this thread, thanks to everyone for keeping us updated!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy