Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Torn ACL/MCL 8 months ago, no surgery

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, new member here, looking to see others' experience and hopefully get some input.

I torn my ACL and MCL last January while skiing. I'm in my 40s. After 6 weeks of 'pre-hab' my surgeon told me it was reasonable to give it more time to rehab as my stability was good when he tested it. I started working very hard on my rehab since then, doing about 1.5 hour sessions 3 times a week. Now 8 months later, I'm in probably my best shape ever as have been working out a ton. Aside from ton of strength training, I've been doing plyometrics exercises, cycling and more recently running (although i've never been a big runner). My knee feels stable and my injured leg feels strong, however, it doesn't feel equal to the 'good' knee as I feel clicking sounds when flexing at a quick pace, and at times feels stiff and heavy. I was never totally opposed to surgery, but figured that if I can do most things I want to do without going through surgery, then why having it. So far, the knee hasn't limited me at the gym or my daily activities, and as said above, I've been working out more than ever. Obviously, skiing may likely be a different story.

I'm hoping to ski this coming season, and in fact, already booked a ski trip with the family for end of March, so have just over 5 months before the trip.

I'd be curious to know about others' experiences with this injury and coming back to skiing. Specifically, at which time point following the injury did the injured knee start to feel totally normal. My concern is that if at 8 months post injury the knee is still not feeling totally normal, I wonder how it would respond to skiing. Also, any thoughts on bracing? Finally, any particular training/testing one can do prior to skiing to kind of mimic being on skis? I live far from any ski resort so logistically can't go skiing prior to March.

Would appreciate any advice or input. Thanks in advance.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@soundsequence, I'm not sure other's experience will help. My knee (ACL + meniscus + cartilage the second two only found on surgery) felt totally normal just before I had it reconstructed at 7 weeks post injury ... feels pretty good now though wink Good luck!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@soundsequence, I destroyed my ACL 2 Jan 2019. Physio and consultant orthopod advised no surgery, which I was happy with. Did loads of strength and conditioning, walking, cycling, eventually running and back to big mountain days in Scotland by late May and trekking in Pyrenees July. Back to skiing Dec 2019. I was a bit wary at the time as I knew it could have been stronger. But it was fine. I was skiing offpiste in variable snow and moguls for 2.5 weeks that Dec 2019 - Jan 2020. It did tend to get a bit swollen esp after moguls terrain.

Since then I’ve continued pretty religiously with the s&c work, and got seriously into running alongside that. Generally as long as I keep doing the exercises regularly, and lots of foam rolling/ stretching too, it seems fine. I worked to get my weight down a bit, and had a target set by physio to single leg press at least 80% bodyweight.

No regrets about following the non-surgery route. I feel far fitter now than before accident (and ski far better too).

Of course this is n=1 anecdote but hopefully you find it helpful - I certainly found similar tales motivating/ reassuring.

As my physio said, before the surgery was invented, loads of sports folk continued with no ACL and often didn’t know they had lost it!

Good luck.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Inboard,
Quote:

loads of sports folk continued with no ACL and often didn’t know they had lost it!

Ha ha very good point
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name wrote:
@soundsequence, I'm not sure other's experience will help. My knee (ACL + meniscus + cartilage the second two only found on surgery) felt totally normal just before I had it reconstructed at 7 weeks post injury ... feels pretty good now though wink Good luck!

Wow feeling normal 7 weeks post injury is amazing. Glad to know it continues to feel good!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@inboard that’s great to know, thanks a lot for sharing your experience, it’s very helpful!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@soundsequence, it has been rebuild! But feels very good now. I’ve been quite diligent with my rehab.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@soundsequence, I am 18 months post acl rupture, without reconstruction. At some point in the last 2/3 months, I basically stopped thinking about it, and it isn't stopping me doing anything I would have done before the injury. I went skiing after 11 months, with a hinged neoprene type brace, and it was absolutely fine. I did lots of rehab until the 12 month point, when the physio discharged me, but haven't done much since.
So I wouldn't expect it to feel totally normal till at least a year, but skiing in March should be fine.
Hope that helps a little!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I tore my ACL 23 years ago, and didn't have surgery. I did have a CTi knee brace that I used for a couple of seasons before deciding I didn't need it.

I wouldn't say the injured knee is 'totally' normal, but it's at around 99%. A few times a year I'll get a brief twinge when twisting on it oddly. If I do more than about 10 consecutive days telemarking aggressively, my hamstring tendon on that leg starts to complain, but I'm putting it through a lot more than I would if alpine skiing (as of last season I was typically doing 2 days telemarking, followed by a day of alpine, so as not to build up too much fatigue, whereas previously I was just telemarking).

For me the S&C pre-ski season feels vital - I keep up a generally good level of fitness including S&C year-round, but do plyometrics a couple of times a week for maybe 6 weeks prior to the first ski trip
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
A friend snapped an ACL while skiing some years ago, perhaps 20. No surgery. Has skied every year since, using a knee brace. But he is a bit of a fitness fanatic, doing circuits and off-road running around 5 times a week to keep his leg muscles in good condition. He's probably mid-60s now.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you everyone for your posts, this is very helpful!

@karin So good to know about your recovery! I'm almost 9 months PI, working hard on my rehab, so hopefully things will continue to improve. And seems like for my march trip I'll probably try to get a fitted brace.

@viv thanks for the tips! I've started doing plyometrics workouts and so far so good.

@ecureuil I've actually become a fitness fanatic too after my injury! I've always worked out several times a week, but since the injury I've ramped it up.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@soundsequence, there's lots on this forum about braces, I thought long and hard about it. I went for mueller hg80, which isn't a solid frame one, and isn't fitted.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Have posted about my knee injuries before but will give some points.
Started partially tearing left ACL over 40 years ago before I ever skied. Partial tear to MCL and some muscle tears 25 years ago and advised to get CTi brace which I have used ever since. Completely tore ACL 20 years ago and it was surgically repaired. Have also had tibial plateau fracture and 2 meniscus tears (repaired by arthroscopy). Knee is fine for everyday life but I use a lightweight support for hillwalking such as the 4 hill tops in the local Pentland hills yesterday. I can ski a blue run slowly without a brace but thats not much fun so I wear the brace and can ski black bumps with it on. My L knee has not felt as strong as my R for as long as I can remember.

Last Easter someone skied into me and I now have a partial tear of my R ACL. After all my usual physio (no surgery) that knee feels normal but my surgeon said I should get a similar brace for skiing - bought a Donjoy Armor last week. They know me well at the local hospital and are happy to keep me skiing - I think I amuse them with the various injuries I bring them to get repaired!

Yes you can ski after ACL injury without surgery or wearing a brace, but I am 74 and your body just doesn't tone up like it could 40 years ago. The idea of going through ACL surgery and the rehab again now is something I will avoid at all costs. The braces are to allow me to ski the way I want and hopefully prevent any further injury.
Looking forward to 9 weeks in 3V this winter...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi,in April 2023 l injured my rt ACL and Miniscus skiing in Tignes ,back in the Uk after an MRI the surgeon put me on his surgical list for an ACL reconstruction with Meniscus repair-still waiting and on checking it’s likely to be this December
But l am back doing my daily early morning 10k run ,playing tennis,badminton albeit with a knee support-the knee is giving no pain or swelling now ,so l’m thinking of swerving the op’ as lm 76 and the op’ isn’t always successful anyway and the long downtime post surgery would realistically mean I’ll possibly never get back to my fitness level l have today.So lm considering getting a set of knee Ski Mogos almost £600 & l am hoping some one can help advise on how useful they could be in protecting the knee?I have heard a pro’ footballer a third of my age sometimes miss two seasons with similar injuries!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Mikie356: It seems you're doing amazing! With all the running, tennis, etc... if your knee is not unstable with doing all of that, especially tennis, I'd say you're probably good to go. Would consult with your doctor of course. Good luck!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy