Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Innsbruck & Tirol 23/24 Snow

Poster: A snowHead
Lizum is decent , the funicular is now defunct as they have built a brand new mega bubble from the base car park which has a mid station and replaced the painfully slow 2 seater to the very top.
My view of the Innsbruck area resorts i.e skiing capacity/snow conditions/lift systems/restaurants, having done each one of them in rotation for 1 day for 6/7 days, every year for the last 20 years is..
Serfaus ( not that local to Innsbruck - great for size).... Oetz ( great fro good snow due to height and cheapest ski lift ticket) ....Seefeld (Rosshutte only though - just a nice town and all above 1200 metres)... Ehrwald ( great for blue run cruising ).... Lizum ( great scenery).. Lermoos ( above and below tree line )...Hochzeiger (lovely open bowl - and best black run anywhere - black 5 - not that steep but a fun run of rollercoasters .... Berwang ( nice variety).... Bieberwier ( small and expensive for what it is - but the restaurant at the top of the 2nd chairlift is my fave in the Alps - a slide to the toilet , big open fire, top food , not expensive )
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Igls, Oberperfuss, Patcherkofel , Mutteralm, Zams.... avoid - not worth any of them for varying reasons... low altitute, lack of skiing variety, shortage of mileage
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
oscarkat wrote:
the funicular is now defunct

It certainly isn't! While it is true that there is a new bubble which seems to be used in preference to the funicular, both lifts run when it is very busy, and the funicular takes over when it is too windy for the bubble.

Igls is the town from which the old Patscherkofel lift used to run, but it now starts further out of the village. There is no other skiing there, I don't think (maybe a tiny bunny hill, as many villages have)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
EdYarker wrote:

Incidentally @clarky999, why are you off in the sun during peak ski season? Are you bored of the Innsbruck alls or did you have an inspired long term snow forecast, for a slushy February?

Basically due to Austrian shared paternity/maternity leave rules - we get more paid time if we tack 2 months of paternity leave on from our son’s first birthday than if we were both on leave at the same time (when my paternity leave started my gf switched from maternity leave to educational/training leave), so it had to be Jan and Feb. And we wanted to use the two months somewhere he would enjoy as much as us (while also scratching our travel itch after the pregnancy), so a warm ocean and lots of sand castles won out over skiing haha. But it’s been the most amazing time and I wouldn’t have it different even if it was dumping at home Smile

Hoping conditions pick up for March and April spring shredding though haha!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@clarky999, and it's fair to say, you really haven't missed much, and are coming back in time for the first decent snow in weeks!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@swskier, true! I got pretty much every powder day before leaving too snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@oscarkat, interesting to hear your observations. I’m a big fan of Oetz as well and quite liked Serfaus but it’s bit of a treck from Innsbruck for a short weekend. I classified Lermoos, Berwang etc in the same bracket, but are they a bit quicker to access than I’ve given them credit for? I’m pretty sure they aren’t served by trains?
I agree with your points about Axamer and Seefeld- although I’ve only had gloopy conditions skiing there (probably just bad luck).
The small size of ski area has kept me away from Oberperfuss and Igls but the later always tempts me as it’s so damn convenient!
I enjoyed Mutteralm though. A couple of great valley runs- admittedly only skied there for one day from 11am but worthwhile, especially when linking with Axamer the next day.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@clarky999, you must be the luckiest man alive to miss the weeks you have and been holed up in a tropical beach! Fair play to you!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just back from a short trip skiing at Axamer Lizum (staying in Axams and getting the free bus) - it's pretty good at the moment, the short end to the gondola is basically crud by around 1pm though in spite of the fact that it snowed on Monday and Tuesday this week.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
EdYarker wrote:
@clarky999, you must be the luckiest man alive to miss the weeks you have and been holed up in a tropical beach! Fair play to you!

Certainly feels like it Very Happy

Btw completely agree with above about skipping Patscherkofel/Igls and Oberperfuss. Re Ehrwald, Lermoos and Bieberwier etc, I’ve only ever been there for MTB rather than skiing, but that Fernpass road can very easily turn into a traffic nightmare. I think there should be a train though, maybe to Ehrwald? There are definitely signs on the road paid for by the Tirol Tourism Board reminding drivers stuck in traffic that they could be breezing past on the train wink

But honestly if you’re getting the train, may as well just go to St Anton or Kitzbühel (both about 1 hour).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I’ve just looked it up and it’s worse than that. You have to get the train to Garmisch (another area I’ve considered for a short break) and change. The journey takes 1hr 51 and only runs every 2 hours, so not worth it all!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@EdYarker, Oddly St Anton is one of the most accessible areas by train. Direct fast trains to the centre of the village every two hours from Innsbruck, lockers & ski racks in the station. Kitzbühel pretty good too though needs a change in Wörgl. Zillertal good but again change in Jenbach and the Zillertalbahn is a bit slow. There have been issues with the line from Munich to Innsbruck via Garmisch with damage to the line from crashes and storms, it never has been a particularly good service and the connection onto Reutte is few and far between (German trains running in Austria). In a lot of places the station is not well placed for access to the skiing eg Brixen & Fieberbrunn or needs a bus connection eg Paznautal from Landeck. Give the Fernpass a wide berth at weekends, far too much traffic.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@munich_irish, thanks for this. I have used the train for Zillertal and it was a bit slow going all the way to Mayrhofen but I would imagine Fugen or especially Kaltenbach is better, with the lift walkable from the station.

I also went to Oetz via the train and bus which was quick and efficient.

And Seefeld, which was a great train journey. That was why I considered Garmisch (bring on the same line). Interesting what you say about the problems they’ve had with it. When I last researched a trip to Garmisch from Seefeld, Flixbus was a quicker and cheaper option, although it only went 3 times a day.

I also used the train widely when I stayed in St Johann in Tirol, accessing Kitzbuhel, Zell am See and Hopfgarten all very simply.

Yet to try St Anton via rail but the way prices are for accommodation there, a rail commute might be the only way I get back to the Arlberg any time soon!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@EdYarker, Fügen from Jenbach is around 10/15 minutes, Kaltenbach is probably another 10/15mins or so roughly.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@swskier, But probably worth the extra 10 minutes for the larger ski area (and walkable from the station)?
snow report
@EdYarker, I haven't skied Fügen yet, but yes would agree based purely on piste maps. Kaltenbach lift is about a 5 minute walk from the station.
snow report
EdYarker wrote:

Yet to try St Anton via rail but the way prices are for accommodation there, a rail commute might be the only way I get back to the Arlberg any time soon!

Yes accommodation in St Anton has got very expensive in recent times, there are some more reasonable options but they get quickly booked up. Just booked for next weekend, the cost of the hotel is what I used to pay for an entire weekend trip! A good number of locals clearly make day trips, lots of folk using the lockers etc in the station and if you buy VVT tickets its pretty cheap, shame it doesnt cover the lift ticket!
snow report
It’s certainly been an interesting few days. Thursday night’s torrential rain turned to snow on Friday morning all the way down to the valley bottom, which got the entire city excited for fresh snow. The Brenner was backed up with trucks, 150 of which had to be towed, resulting in a 10 hour closure. Other local mountain roads also suffered problems, with buses to Axamer Lizum apparently abandoning their passengers some way before the ski area! Stubai closed early, though I heard it was good while it lasted!

On Saturday the sun came out but Stubai remained closed due to the large amount of snow that fell on Friday. It’s a big area that swallows a lot of people, so it was clear other places were going to be busier than normal. Patscherkofel was only running the lower lifts, which didn’t help. Axamer Lizum had a 6km tailback from the car park, so we didn’t think we would get a space, and we knew Schlick would be rammed because it would be taking a lot of visitors from Stubai. Kühtai had a freeride event running, so that wasn’t an attractive prospect either, so we opted for Nordkette, an area I haven’t skied at for about four years, but one we could get to very easily and without encountering any issues with traffic or parking.

They’d had a lot of snow, easily 50cm+ but had bombed most of it off Confused Conditions were challenging – heavy avalanche debris into soggy wet concrete (Nordkette is south facing, and it was a warm day), but the sun was out and the crowds were elsewhere.

Stubai eventually opened in the afternoon, but only a couple of lifts and that was too late for most so it largely remained untouched. We expected a fight to get up there today, but the early morning cloud cover may have put some people off, so it wasn’t all that busy. Given the high avi risk, we skied very conservatively, but it was still thigh deep and kept snowing! The wind picked up more in the afternoon though, and the clouds came in, so it became more difficult to see and wind crust was forming throughout the day. There was still plenty of untracked snow at the end of the day, and the pistes are in excellent condition all the way to the bottom lifts.
latest report
Thanks for the update @Scarlet, glad the snow has finally arrived. Will be interesting to hear what kind of Nick the other areas are in now.
snow conditions
Edyarker...you are correct re lermoos and ehrwald in reality..too far from innsbruck..I sort if forgot we stay in mieming ( not a ski resort) and drive from there, but it's half way to lermoos from innsbruck and takes half an hour from innsbruck to mieming then a 35 mins drive to lermoos from mieming I e over an hour from innsbruck. Its nice though , and there are 4 resorts virtually next to each other in the zugspitz arena , all decent. You are right re the fernpass though...never, ever try it at the weekend , moving day etc and a main route for lorries from Germany into austria ( no lorries on Sunday though ) millions of Dutch use that route, and if its snowing hard it's carnage, but they try their best to keep it open , and do a goid job doing so.
snow report
Finally made use of my Snowcard and skied outside the Zillertal yesterday!

I had to drop OH's friend back to the airport so arranged to ski with a couple of colleagues. The plan was to tour to the Glungezer hütte and peak, however the wind massively put a stop to that!

Instead we had an incredibly strenuous 2 runs of red 2 at Glungezer (as this was basically all that was open), 2hr lunch and a further 2 runs before heading back to the Zillertal!

20240303-111216
snow conditions
@swskier, I can see my house from here!
We went for a bike ride on Saturday, fully intending to ski on Sunday, but then saw that Stubai, Axamer Lizum and Patscherkofel were only partially open. At that point, I knew that the wind would be brutal and we sacked it off again. A friend who went to Kühtai said it wasn't very pleasant and he would call it a day early.
latest report
@Scarlet, after lunch it had died down, not up around the peaks, but at the top of the area we were skiing, and our 2 runs were really quite enjoyable in softened snow and some sun!
snow report
Surprise precipitation overnight. Woke up to sleet on the windows here in the city; now rain down here, but Stubai are reporting over 1m new snow during the night...
ski holidays
Dd anyone get out in the Innsbruck area last weekend?

It was supposed to be the weekend we were coming out for but we decided against it in the end (good job too as sickness descended into the house) but wanted to know whether we missed much?
ski holidays
@EdYarker, Yep, spent both days ski testing in Stubai. On Saturday it was snowing on and off all day, but there was only a few cm in total. The sun came out a bit on Sunday and the pistes were harder, but still nice to ski. The 6km queue on the road to get there was less good, and something I've only heard about but never previously experience. Lift queues were mostly not too bad.

Perfectly nice conditions, not too windy (last couple of weekends have been so blowy I've not been out), but nothing exciting.
snow conditions
@Scarlet, thanks. Sounds ok. We most likely wouldn’t have gone to the glacier anyway, so would have avoided that jam! Will be back next year all being well.
snow report
No pics but fun skiing in Axamer Lizum yesterday. 10-15cms fresh, juuust enough snow to ski trees to the base station (nowhere near enough for valley runs though), and sun coming out from ~midday.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It snowed down to the valley bottom yesterday, but soon melted. The rain continued most of the day though, becoming torrential in the evening. Coupled with the much cooler temperatures (the last two weekends, we've been out hiking in shorts and t-shirts), today looked very promising.

Not many places are still open, so we headed up to Stubai. I expected visibility to be pretty bad (it was), so being in familiar territory helped with navigation. Kindly, Stubai had neglected to open some of the pistes, so there they were, filling up with snow, and hardly anyone around. Well, it would be rude not to, especially as my partner was only on his second day of his new fat(ter!) skis. For readers of a fragile disposition, no ropes were ducked in the course of this endeavour.* That would be terribly irresponsible.

*Whatever wink

Off-piste was a good 30-40cm, and bottomless on my Directors. Pistes were smoothed out by fresh snow, wind, and a lack of people. Videos on my instas, for those kind enough to follow along. It was a bit too gorillas-in-the-mist for decent pics, but here's one of the other one standing around in some snow that not many other people had been down:

More tomorrow. Might go to Ischgl.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy