Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Innsbruck & Tirol 23/24 Snow

Poster: A snowHead
Almost everything at Ski Juwel, SkiWelt and Kitzbuel closed all day today. Just a couple of village lifts open in each of these areas.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If anyone's at a lose end tomorrow evening in Innsbruck, Mrs Swskier and I are playing in this

https://www.haus-der-musik-innsbruck.at/veranstaltung/gaudete-freut-euch-23-12-23/

What's more Christmassy than a Christmas concert with a brass band!? Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The weather had cleared by this morning, so we took the opportunity to go and test the new snow, but it was not the powder day I had hoped for. The snow line is very high, and I'd heard that we needed to get above 2000m for decent snow, so around here that mostly limits us to Stubai and Kühtai. The Paznauntal areas are also high, and likely had more snow, but the top lifts at Kappl were still not open this morning, so it was too far to drive to risk only having limited options. Stubai had a notice up that they were only opening a couple of lifts from midday, so we headed to Kühtai which had about 3 main lifts running first thing, and pretty much all of them by the time we arrived.

The wind may have dropped significantly from the last couple of days, but it was still incredibly windy up there, to the point that it was sometimes hard to stay upright. The chair lifts were running very slowly because the gusts were incredible, and the bubble seemed to be a bit stop-start, so we didn't risk that in case we got stuck on it. There has clearly been a lot of fresh snow, but I have never seen the wind compaction so strong. The pistes were very firm, but the snow was good. Off-piste was mostly rock-hard due to wind compaction, though it was better in the trees where it was more sheltered. The problem was that by this point the altitude was only about 2200m, so the snow was damp and heavy, like skiing wet concrete! The temperature in the car park at 2000m was 5C Shocked

The weather forecast promised a sunny day, but by about 1pm it had clouded over with very dark clouds. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny again, but I'll be looking out of the window before I believe that.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Scarlet, yes, I found that at See this morning. Great piste conditions top to bottom there to be fair, but I was away by 1.30pm and back to Ischgl.

Lots of wind blown snow off piste (in See), some nice bits between 2000m and 2450m, best around 2300m out of the wind (on the Versing lift side)
Over the other side by the Rossmoos chair that was wind scoured so not really anything to ski that didn’t feel like piste skiing. Very very windy up there.

Ischgl was very soft on the home run 1/1A, nice moguls but on the bit back to the Pardatschgratbahn that was a bit like skiing in spring, needs to get colder again really.
Lots of evidence of wind in Ischgl, snow looked like creme fondant and lots of sastrugi.
Will go up again first thing tomorrow and look then as I need to go to Alp Bella for chicken anyway.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jumping from Tirol to almost the other end of Austria, in Oberösterreich....

Corona absolutely wiped me out last week, despite having had it 5(!) times plus the 3 vaccinations. Really surprised how hard it hit us (thankfully the baby was spared the worst of it and recovered quicker than my gf and I!). After rallying east to my gf's parents place the 'rona test finally cleared up on Saturday morning and it would have been rude not to go for a ski with my gf's Dad...

Destination was Wurzeralm, a tiny little resort no-one has heard of, but that's actually REALLY good on a powder. Unfortunately this particular powder day was waaaay too warm, with a river of meltwater flowing through the base corral. But above ~1200m it was snowing decently. Hard to say exactly how much fresh had fallen, but there was at least 20-30cm over night (on top of the previous days when it had been colder), and they are still now reporting 200cm at 1800m after the last days of even warmer weather.

Most of the resort was closed, including the best terrain, but while gf's Dad went for some piste runs I got a few good laps in the woods with no-one else around. Still wiped out by the 'rona and feeling pretty rusty after so little skiing though (I guess the usual pre-season lapping glacier pistes actually is useful after all).

http://youtube.com/v/n27BupZBwZw

Untracked Wurzeralm trees (some of which are a fair bit steeper than they look):

Barely anyone around:

Since then it's got even warmer: 14°C in Salzburg yesterday...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@clarky999, glad you’re feeling better…..almost.
I’ve only had it once, which lasted a day on the test result! I did feel wiped out for a couple of days though and really tired.
Nothing since!
Amazing you’ve had it 5 times.

Yes it was very warm yesterday, +12C at 2300m in Ischgl yesterday!
Haven’t gone out today yet, just woke up.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is anyone near Ellmau at the moment? Heading there on Sunday and hoping that all the snow won't have melted by then!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@munchimo, It’s forecast to get colder again from Wednesday onwards so I wouldn’t worry
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@munchimo, there’s plenty of base down already so a few days of warmer temperatures won’t hurt.

https://going.panomax.com/astberg

Webcam in Going nearby shows there’s plenty
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Here in Kitz fantastic skiing today especially after yesterdays escapades
It was decidedly colder which helped
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@jafa, did you have a warm day yesterday with lots of moguls and soft snow? It felt like end of March didn’t it not Christmas Day!

Today was quite chilly in Ischgl actually, I was wishing I had my Polar Buff on instead of one of the thin ones.
Did the pit zips up on jacket too!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For those that will be heading out soon and hoping to go off piste when the next snowfall comes, be careful.

Over the last few days I have seen astonishing numbers of historic full depth slides and the gaping ‘glide cracks’ which are full depth also. These cracks are on slopes which are not actually very steep at all mind.
When the next snow comes it may not completely cover these cracks (and form weak snow bridges) and also the cracks are signs of an unstable layer underneath from this week.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@VolklAttivaS5,

Yes moguls everywhere, today was just so different

We went over on the 3S and skiied Pass Thurn wonderful snow
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This afternoon the snow was much firmer than it has been with quite a cool wind blowing and just crisping the top layer. A little colder tonight too so that should help piste conditions.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks everyone!
snow conditions
@VolklAttivaS5, how wide are the glide cracks?
snow report
@Mother hucker, hard to say exactly from a distance but they vary from just being visible to opening up (so maybe 30cm?) to 2m wide?
Really difficult to say from a distance but they are certainly visible when skiing around and in the gondola if that helps.

Big enough to fall in with a little bit of snow over the top anyway! That would be my concern really. Falling in as if it was a crevasse.
ski holidays
Haven't had time to ski this week, but a little update anyway:

We got back to Innsbruck on the 31st, and woke up to some fresh snow on Nordkette:

Since then it's mostly been pretty warm, and we've mostly been hiking (a surprisingly good workout with the little guy on my back, as he keeps getting heavier haha). Got out for a bike ride on Wednesday too - kinda weird, Nordkette has 196cm of snow at the mid-station (1900m) but the trails from ~1000m had perfect hero dirt:

Interestingly there had been a decent-sized avalanche running past the start of the train too. This slide path is known as the Arzler Alm Avalanche Path (after the Arzler Alm hut), and is one of the largest on Nordkette (it ripped HUGE in Jan 2019 in the last big snow year). The avalanche 'braking mounds' you see here were first built in 1935 and are some of - or the - first avalanche defence structures ever built. This slide path has reached the houses below in Mühlau (outskirts of Innsbruck) several times - I think last in the '60s.

Right over the foot path - this is why you respect the hiking path closures on Nordkette, even low down, when the avalanche commission call them!

You can see how the so-called braking mounds deflect and slow the flow:

Here you can see the Bergisel Ski Jump - the famous Four Hills Tournament was taking place there when I took the photo:

But don't worry: despite the warmth and a couple of overnight rainfalls in the city, the skiing should have been pretty decent lately too. A friend said yesterday was pretty deep powder at Stubbier Glacier, for example.

Right now the weather is changing again too, and snow is on the way over the weekend. Not mad amounts, but we could get ~30cms locally and maybe up to 50cms in eg the Arlberg and Hochfügen.
latest report
I was up at Stubai on Monday – the snow was really nice on piste, and about 10-15cm fresh off to the sides. It wasn't particularly busy either – still plenty left to go at by the end of the day. However, if you're not a confident skier, avoid the home run at the moment. It could do with a fair bit more snow to fill the holes in at the middle section, and there was someone being collected about 2/3 of the way down. The rest of it was fine.
snow conditions
I was at Skiwelt yesterday and not good below 1200m, piles of artificial snow amongst green fields with a few bits of grass/mud sticking through. Above that pistes were OK, bashed powder on a hard base but the off piste was gone, besides kids doing jumps at the side of the piste did not see a single person even trying. Needs a lot more snow. The lower slopes of the nearby areas Kirchberg, St Johann etc were clearly thin to (mostly) green fields.
ski holidays
I'll be in Obergurgl/Hochgurgl from Sunday for a week. If anyone is around and up for some off-piste let me know. Happy to share the cost of a guide, ski some easy
off-piste or do short tours.

Alternatively, any tips on easily accessible sub 30 degree off-piste gratefully received!

Thanks. Chris
ski holidays
It's been snowing steadily all day and still going, so should be pretty good tomorrow, although probably not great vis. I've been at home doing chores (apart from a short spin down the motorway until we remembered it was a Feiertag and all the shops were shut rolling eyes ) so no first-hand experience to report. Is anyone skiing in the area tomorrow (Sunday) who doesn't mind meeting up?
ski holidays
@Scarlet, I skied an hour or so of first lift at Gerlosstein this morning, and it was so much fun. I reckon in the region of 20cm+ on piste, bit deeper in steeper sections. With a bit of speed it splashing up to knee/thigh level. snowHead
latest report
@Scarlet, sorry only just saw that, but I only had two hours free anyway!
snow conditions
Sunday at Axamer Lizum sw abotu 30cms fresh snow, on top of a fairly firm and choppy base in places. At the top visibility was awful: not just snowy, but foggy and totally socked in. Tree lines were nice though and I suspect valley (to Axams, ie well down the mountain below the car park/bottom station) may be in play for those not too precious about their skis.

Forgot my Insta360 but a few photos:

I hit one of the little stakes under the snow just traversing in, which scared me off hitting the pillows. But fun snow:

Today was calm but cloudy, and tomorrow the sun should come out... Should be great skiing this week!
ski holidays
@clarky999, No worries. Mr I'm-not-feeling-very-well drank a can of MTFU on Sunday morning when he saw how much it had snowed, so we went up to Axamer Lizum anyway, and then I bumped into another buddy in the lift station on arrival so it all worked out Laughing Vis was pretty bad all day though, but got worse after (late) lunch so we called it a day then before someone hurt themselves.
snow conditions
It's been fantastic skiing recently, with cold, glimmering stable powder and bluebird conditions; just perfect deep winter conditions.

On Tuesday I went out for a little solo mission for my last turns until March, off the back of Axamer Lizum into Senderstal. Two Germans in the lift were debating the best way to ski down there, so I showed them they way. Then when they skied down to Grinzens to the bus, I skinned up the other way to the little powder playground that is Senderstal. Still on the #dadturns programme haha, but beautiful snow:

http://youtube.com/v/48S3xuIacpc

The view looking back from the skin track to the slope off the back of Hoadl:

There's always a stream to cross somewhere...

It's stayed cold (very cold!) since, and while the only snow in the city now is on the rooftops, everything still looks spectacular with the wintery trees on the mountains in the background:

Anyone coming out in the next few days can look forward to great skiing conditions.

From the weekend I'll be swapping the mountains for the ocean until the end of Feb, but hopefully other people (Scarlet Wink )can keep this thread going Smile
snow report
One for those with the local knowledge.

Any of the slopes localish to Innsbruck with night skiing on a Wednesday night? From what I can see from Google it appears not to be the case?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@swskier, Kühtai and Bergeralm. Here is the full list (click the table to show in full) https://www.meinbezirk.at/innsbruck/c-lokales/nachtskilauf-und-abendskitouren-rund-um-innsbruck_a5782390#gallery=null (it says last year on it, but I think it’s the same).
latest report
@Scarlet, thank you. Any thoughts on what's better of the two? Much of a muchness time wise from the Zillertal to get to. Slightly further to Kühtai but not a lot, or a small toll to get to Steinach.
snow conditions
@swskier, personal choice, I think. Kühtai does have some “proper après” bars, or at least it used to, if you fancy some terrible music with your Radler. Not sure if that also applies to Bergeralm.
snow report
@Scarlet, Thanks again. The fact Kühtai starts at 7 helps me getting home from work and then driving over. No après required as I'll be on my own, but good to know for future reference!

Will report back!
latest report
@swskier, PS. you can avoid the toll by coming off at Innsbruck Süd and taking the village road (straight on at the roundabout), but the first half is quite winding and will take longer than the motorway. Or on the other side of the valley you can go through Patsch, though this road is single lane in parts and visits every farm on the way through!
snow conditions
Back now from Kühtai.

Nice couple of hours skiing, but I'm not sure I'd bother again. It's nearly 1.5hrs from the Zillertal, and to be honest only the top half of the slope as far as the Kaiser-Maximilian-Hütte was in decent condition. Below that was lots of chunks of ice, and patches of powdery fake snow and then patches of scrapped hardpack base.

If I lived closer I'd probably go again, but it's not really worth the trip from here.

Also, turns out night skiing isn't included with the Tirol Snowcard so I had to pay as well, €22.

ski holidays
Bummer, I didn’t know that either. It is included with the Freizeit ticket, but that’s not much use in Zillertal Sad

I have been once before, and the snow was in nice condition all the way down, but I guess it varies. I can’t really be bothered though tbh, it’s still 40min drive even if it’s free.
snow report
I got paid for night skiing today and a free Schnitzel and beer snowHead I found out yesterday I had to take part in the new valley ski show with all of the ski schools represented.
snow conditions
@Chris_n, is there night skiing for the punters round your way?

@Scarlet, it's a shame Patscherkofel or Glungezer don't have night skiing (except touring) as i'd be more inclined to go there as they're much closer, assuming they're included in the Snowcard
latest report
@swskier, Patscherkofel does I think. It's listed on the link above anyway. I can see the lights on from my house!
snow report
@Scarlet, good point, and it also shows on their pass prices, but there's no mention though of what time on their website which is odd. I've often seen the lights on there though will driving to Innsbruck.
snow conditions
@swskier, Hmm. It says “Night skiing – Heiligwasser Lift” which is the bunny lift at the bottom. Maybe they don't run the main lift? It does say “Evening skiing every Tue and Thu until 8.30 pm.” I would call them and ask.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy