Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Innsbruck & Tirol 23/24 Snow

Poster: A snowHead
The only time I tried night time skiing (Austria somewhere, can't remember where) I found it underwhelming. Was cold (fair enough, and predictable....) but not being able to see anything, no mountains, no nothing, detracted SO much from the experience that I'd rather stay home with a good book, or sit in a nice welcoming restaurant. And that was on the spot, and free. Having to drive and pay - no way.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@pam w, yes, my feelings too. It's handy if you happen to be up the mountain anyway, that the lights have been left on for your way down or, for example, in Scandinavia where “night skiing” starts at 3pm!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@pam w, I wanted to work on some specific technique stuff, hence why I went. I wouldn't go regularly though.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@swskier, What about Oberperfuss? Same junction as for Kühtai, but only about 10 min up the hill, if that. It would still be an hour from Zillertal, mind. Your closest would be Rinn, but I'm not sure the Kinderlift will give you more than two turns!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Scarlet, i'll give it a go at some point. Maybe if some colleagues fancy it too. I'm actually hoping to be there Saturday 27th for a masters race if I can get registrations sorted out in time.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oberperfuss is way to limited, Axamer Lizum , is also the same junction off the motorway, and its a great place . They have a new gondela this year, has history, as it was the resort that hosted the womens downhill run from the 1976 Olympics, and has the 5 rings proudly showing all over the place. A good 20 mins less driving than to Kuhtai ,and better in my view .i.e tree lined runs, as well as above the treeline stuff. Kuhtai is a bit brutal and a bit loveless my opinion - and quite a difficult ski as it has 'gulley runs' on one side of the resort ( you'd know what I mean if you have been there )they are particularly grim when the snow gets a bit heavy............ , and has no blue runs.. and everyone likes a blue run !
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@oscarkat, Axamer Lizum doesn't have night skiing, only night ski touring – the lift isn't running.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
oh sorry, you are correct , just ignore me
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@swskier, Reith in Alpbachtal have night skiing, I think.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@swskier, is it worth heading East to Soll ? I'm pretty sure that would be closer than Kuhtai.

Re Reith in Alpbachtal, I went night ski touring there a couple of years ago, and I'm pretty sure it was for touring only.

Or, not sure what your working hours are, but lifts open at 07:30 in Kaltenbach and Ahorn, so can you sneak in an early morning blast ?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@SaraJ, yes Reith have night skiing Fridays and Saturdays I believe. It'll be rammed up there tomorrow with people from work as it's the company ski race. Unfortunately no one from Finance fancied it!

@viv, we talked about this actually, as i'm now on the 7.30 first lift every Saturday and Sunday in Kaltenbach. We said we'd consider living near there in the future for that reason! It's not ideal currently just because of only having 1 vehicle between and Mrs Swskier needing to be at the Horbergbahn at 8am for work.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
swskier wrote:
@Chris_n, is there night skiing for the punters round your way?

@Scarlet, it's a shame Patscherkofel or Glungezer don't have night skiing (except touring) as i'd be more inclined to go there as they're much closer, assuming they're included in the Snowcard

Not in Wildschönau but there is in Alpbachtal (Reitherkogl), Söll and Brixen.
https://www.skijuwel.com/en/winter/night-skiing
https://www.skiwelt.at/en/night-skiing-at-skiwelt-wilder-kaiser-brixental.html
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Looking for some local knowledge here.
@Valdesire and I are driving out on Tuesday to spend the rest of week skiing in Austria,(probably Tirol) before jumping over to Alleghe for PreBB on Saturday.
Any suggestions as to where is likely to ski well and accommodation that won't break the bank would be gratefully received. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@snowheid, Zillertal? Number of areas to ski, 4 main areas plus small areas in Fügen and Gerlosstein.

Likely plenty of well priced accommodation particularly if you stay out of Mayrhofen.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@swskier, What's the snow like there just now Puzzled
snow report
@snowheid, good, we had some fresh snow Thursday/Friday I think it was. Everything is open, and there's snow in the valley also.
snow report
@swskier, Great. Thx for the info. Might try to meet up with you for a ski if you are around later this week Puzzled Very Happy
latest report
@snowheid, unless it's the weekend i'll be working Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
This would be the correct thread for Sölden right? I'm surprised how little love the Ötztal valley gets on snowheads.

Given the weather so far this season I'm really glad I picked a high area. Anyone got a local take on the current and immediate weather? We arrive on Sunday. Snow line and quantity is all over the place depending on the forecast models being used.
ski holidays
@Snow Hound, Conditions were very good at the weekend. It rained a lot last night, but there is still a bit of snow on the ground at 600m, so it can't have been that bad. Avalanche forecast says 5-15cm yesterday, and the same expected today. I'm sure Sölden will be fine.
ski holidays
Here are a couple of images from Saturday, when I went to Schlick 2000. It had been snowing from Thursday, I think, but had stopped around Friday lunchtime. It was very cold overnight and had had surprisingly few visitors, so there was still plenty to go at on Saturday. New snow depth was about 15cm.

latest report
On Sunday @admin graced(!) us with his presence, and we drove up to Axamer Lizum for the afternoon. it was considerably warmer than Saturday, and the snow had started to get heavier, but it was still reasonably good. Axamer Lizum gets more visitors though, so finding the best snow was a little more challenging. We didn't have time to do it, but the route over the back of Hoadl towards Kemater Alm looked good and hadn't been skied that much.

snow report
Innsbruck locals, a non ski one for you.

I for some reason have decided to try and train for and take part in the Mayrhofen Ultraks 30k race in September. Stupid idea as I hate running, but I've watched too many trail running YouTube videos and have bitten the bait!

Where around here, Zillertal, Inntal etc would one go to get fitted properly for a pair of running shoes? History shows that I get pins and needles in my feet by about 4km in, and I don't fancy a remaining 26km with no feeling in my feet.... So it's right I get fitted properly!
snow conditions
H&N in Reith. Good shop. Worth calling before to make an appointment and to check what running stock they have during the winter.
ski holidays
Hello from the beach in Thailand wink

@swskier, I got a previous pair of running shoes from the Intersport on Maria-theresien-strasse (not the one in Kaufhaus Tyrol) in Innsbruck - good service and they did gait analysis etc - then since just bought the same model in old colours cheap online.

Now I would probably go to either the large Intersport or large Sportler by the DEZ out-of-town shopping centre. You could also try the Sport Conrad store in Garmisch if you fancy a day trip somewhere, and I would assume there must be somewhere decent around Wörgl.

If you need more specific trail running advice pm me your details and I can put you in touch with my buddy Thomas Roach - also from the UK and an INSANE trail runner who lives in Innsbruck, wins basically every local race and took second in the brutal ‘short trail’ (44km and 3250 vert metre gain!!) course of the World Championships last summer in Innsbruck and Stubaital (https://www.britishathletics.org.uk/news-and-features/world-gold-for-short-trail-team-as-thomas-roach-wins-individual-silver/ ), who should know as well as anyone wink

BTW if you have problem feet and don’t already know, via the Krankenkasse insurance you get through your work, you’ll get 2 x subsidized orthopedic footbeds per year and 2 x courses of physio (which count as work time in the same way a doctor visit does, and each course can be extended once by the physio practice). Just gotta make an appointment with an ortho doctor and make sure you ask for a physio covered by krankenkasse (there are pay for/private insurance only ones too). The physio is worth getting generally anyway, even if you don’t have foot problems - you just them to do general core or mobility work and massage for you general health and as pre-hab.
latest report
@clarky999, thank you. I've got a feeling my manager (also British) might know Thomas Roach, as he's also very much in to the running scene in Innsbruck, but runs vertical races to a very high standard. I'll also ask my manager in work today where he thinks.

I had the same thought re that Intersport, it's a treasure trove of a shop and I noticed they have loads of different brands/models etc. I don't have particularly problematic feet, but I was thinking of getting a footbed in the shoe if that's a thing for running? Perhaps that would solve my pins and needles issue.

I also had the same idea of being properly fitted the first time, then buying the previous years mode online.

Enjoy Thailand, you haven't missed much here in the last couple of weeks weather wise!
snow report
Looking at reports there seems to have been snow around Innsbruck area (and elsewhere) in the past 24 hours with more to come at the end of the week.
Anyone out there who can corroborate this please? I’m still on the fence about a quick weekend in early March…
snow report
@EdYarker, This morning was the first time I’ve heard avi blasting on Nordkette in over a month, so there was something. Avi report says 10-30cm, and there was a bit more out west. Snow line is still around 1800m, so it hasn’t dramatically changed the landscape, which looks more like April than February.

More snow should be on the way on Friday and Saturday, and it should be colder this time too.

Anywhere high up, like Stubai (I was there on Sunday) is absolutely fine and easily skiable to the bottom.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks @Scarlet, I will check in again after the weekend.. I know there’s always the glacier but as we would only be around for 2 days we are ideally looking for a village: have done, Mutters, Seefeld, Oetz and Fulpmes in the past and loved it but most of those areas are presumably struggling a bit at the moment + Bergeralm which I was contemplating for this year?
snow report
@EdYarker, I think Mutteralm has been closed. It certainly looks like a sad strip of white that ends in the middle of a field halfway down the mountain. I’ve not been to the other areas in a while – Schlick was obviously fine when I took the pics above last month, but it was noticeable when driving down Stubaital that there was no snow in the villages until we got to the very last one.

I haven’t been to Seefeld this season, but it tops out around 2000m, so it has probably rained a lot up there. Oetz would still give you some good options though.
snow conditions
us load of old 60 year old blokes came back on the 8th Feb as we do different resorts every day . Seefeld was fine, Oetz was better, Serfaus was Ok as was Lermoos and Ehrwald - the bottom got mushy after 13.00 hrs, but some days the temp was 10 degrees plus at village level. This weekends deluge will sort it out I reckon
ski holidays
@Scarlet, and@oscarkat, thanks for your updates. That’s really useful. We loved Oetz but went there last year so were going to change it up a bit this time.
Fingers crossed for a big dump at the weekend and a continuation of low temperatures.
Irrespective of current weather, does anyone have any insights into Steinach/ Bergeralm? It seems to be a similar size to Schlick (which we are fans of) and a good download height, but can’t see much about it on this thread anywhere?
ski holidays
@EdYarker, Sorry, no, it's about 3 years since I've been down there – it's slightly awkward to get to in a car in order to avoid the road tolls (for road sections you're not actually using!), isn't very big, and can suffer badly from the wind blowing through the Wipptal. There are some webcams here: https://www.bergeralm.net/webcam/
ski holidays
Ok thanks @Scarlet, we wouldn’t bother hiring a car (train or cab), but even so, it doesn’t sound like you rate it. I might put a message on the main group to see if anyone else has been more recently.
Our alternatives are Igls or Tulfes (but both look a little small even for two days) or a return to Axamer Luzum.
ski holidays
@EdYarker, Bergeralm can catch the snow (a lot!) if it comes up from the south, but we haven't had much of that recently so other areas win for access/proximity/height etc. reasons, but that may change next week. It's easy enough to get to on the bus/train I believe.

Patscherkofel is also looking a bit greet right now, but they are pretty good at keeping it open and it should be fine after the weekend. Glungezer is entirely above the current snow line so no issues there. All of these places are skiable in one day, so I would aim to access a couple of them on your trip.
snow conditions
@Scarlet, thanks again for your expert insights. We can check conditions in a week or so and make a call on Bergeralm. We liked the fact that there is a cheap and cheerful Jufa hotel right next to the lift and the lift opens early from mid March, but that’s not much good if it’s blowing a hoolie or it’s generally a dull mountain.
Interesting about the Glungezer. Sounds like a good choice when snow is scarce but can’t be more than a day’s skiing there? I thought about basing in Igls and doing a day in each but there’s no direct bus between the two from what I can tell, which makes that plan a bit of a faff!
latest report
@EdYarker, You are right – there's only really two main lifts at Glungezer once you're up there – the new hybrid and the old 2-seater on the left side of the map. Avoid the mega-hut at the mid-station – a riotous event of screaming feral kids and chaotic service. The Tulfeinalm by the lake towards the old lift is much more civilised.

No, I don't believe there is a direct bus between Igls and Tulfes, but even with a change it only takes 30min because you don't need to go all the way into the city. If you are into ski touring, the two peaks are connected by the Zirbenweg, but I have no more info than that.
ski holidays
Re. Bergeralm it gets basically the opposite of the weather that the other Innsbruck area resorts get - so can ie be dumping there when everywhere else is dry and vice versa.

Personally I don’t think it’s a super interesting mountain unless it’s a powder day, in which case it gas great tree skiing. Great touring in the area too. But for piste skiing it’s not amazing, though the home run is cool - gets steeper as you go and very unusual views of the Brenner Autobahn and bridge! IMO it’s generally a resort to pick if/when conditions there are better than the other local spots.

If you haven’t skied Axamer Lizum yet then that’s definitely worth it. Otherwise Glungezer is pretty cool.

I’m still at the beach for another few days so no idea how the snow is though!
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
I’m still at the beach for another few days so no idea how the snow is though!

Right now: somewhere else. I think you've timed that rather well though! It all currently looks a bit desperate, but at the same time the local press are getting their knickers in a twist over Friday's weather warning Laughing
snow report
Thanks for the extra intel@Scarlet, and@clarky999, i will probably sack off the Bergeralm plan then.
I have skied Axamer Lizum before: I learnt to ski there many many years ago and then went when I was staying in Mutters. If there’s decent snow next week, a repeat could be on the agenda.

Incidentally @clarky999, why are you off in the sun during peak ski season? Are you bored of the Innsbruck alls or did you have an inspired long term snow forecast, for a slushy February?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy