Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Verbier 4 Vallées 2023/2024

Poster: A snowHead
Fantastic! Thank you for your help! Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmmmm…
https://www.rts.ch/info/regions/valais/2024/article/apres-crans-montana-vail-resorts-serait-interesse-a-racheter-televerbier-28398924.html?fbclid=IwAR3Co0olmRPR_JkL5SWK36x8f3BI6cxbqTHU8nlDmZVlK1GN9TxE3HuxBv8_aem_AcW0sxEQ_pjuSTDJ_LulLav5xnSxb5KlmzOqjBJSNdKiW3DbuF_YK2Mg_pHcqh4F3CM
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
...perhaps the first 100 CHF day pass on the cards? Crying or Very sad
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Piste skiing still great
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In case you were wondering....piste conditions remain great.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Happy Friday
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@BobinCH, every time I see a view like that of Verbier, it's crazy how big/ how many buildings are up there. How long until the buildings reach the top of Savoleyres? Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Live trip report from the stunning new restaurant at the bottom of Chassoure/Tortin.

I can tell you that the sky is blue, the temperature is the perfect degree of cold, and the snow is fantastic!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wow...just watching some very skilled/dangerous helicopter rescue on a very exposed part on Mont Gele.

Be careful out there
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dumpage and blue sky?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Is the Avalanche scale any use in real ice?
It is a 3 today in Verbier...but I've seen slides all over the place.
Almost all the usual routes down the Lac side of Mont Gele have slid...and slid a long way.
Valor D'Arbis is closed with a poster posted on the netting to stop anyone ignoring the closed sign. I've never seen that before.

So what does it take to make it a 4 ?

I strongly believe that as it is a peak holiday week the powers that be just don't want to go to 4 for publicity reasons
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@rungsp, 3 is pretty high from a scale of 5, sounds about right??

3 considerable / erheblich / marque / marcato
The snowpack is moderately to weakly bonded on many steep slopes
Triggering is possible, sometimes even with low additional loads. The bulletin may indicate many slopes that are particularly affected. In certain conditions, medium and occasionally large sized natural avalanches may occur.
Traffic and individual buildings in hazardous areas are at risk in certain cases. Precautions should be taken in these areas.
Only experienced persons able to evaluate avalanche hazard should carry out off-piste skiing and travel. Steep slopes of the aspect and altitude indicate should be avoided.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@kitenski, sure...but in real life it is stuck on 3 for weeks at a time, and in those weeks there are bug all slides.
So 3 become normalized in people's perception as being an ordinary day.
Today the rush was clearly (as evidenced by many slides) more risky.
Still a 3 though.

It's all very well quoting the paragraph, but that isn't how the great majority of skiers look at it.
They glance at the display.
"OH, still.3, just like the last weeks...all good then"

You may know what 3 means, I know what 3 means...thousands think it means "no change"
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rungsp, it was 3+ today.

latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Attelas couloirs full of wind blown snow first thing
snow report
Chasing the Frenchie around Greppon Blanc

http://youtube.com/v/pEJek8D-Lpc
snow conditions
We're heading out next weekend. A few newbie questions, if you don't mind.

First time skiing in Switzerland, where's the best place online to find the avalanche forecast in English? My French is basic. Edit: Thanks to Pistehors (Davidof?) I've found whiterisk.ch.

Are there any recommendations for basic/cheap and cheerful (I realise it's all relative) places to stop for lunch/coffee/afternoon beers?

Also any recommendations for dinner in Nendaz?

I'm also hoping some of the group we're going with will join me on a few of the blacks. Are there any that are recommended as a more gentle place to start?
snow conditions
Swiss avalanche bulletin www.slf.ch/en

(Not all pages in English but the key ones usually are...)

Easiest black a very short one at lac des vaux, another on the side of the red run (M25) from attelas to ruinettes, nice one in Bruson. Some like Mt Fort & Plan de Fou have steep mogulled starts then nice run outs
ski holidays
Sonmi451 wrote:

Before you head off to dinner, when you come down the home run at the very end don’t head to the right side, go to the left and have your après in the Cheers Bar. It is a great place right on the side of the slope:

https://www.nendaz.ch/en/P75698/cheersbar

Before dinner have a nice glass of two of wine with some meats and cheeses at:

https://www.leverredici.ch/en/

We are creatures of habit so the places we find ourselves heading back to the most are:

Burgers:

3330 Alt Bar, Rte des Ecluses 28, 1997 Nendaz

Italian:

Savi, Rte des Ecluses 24, 1997 Nendaz

Meat on hot stones:

Le Grenier, Rte de la Télécabine 40, 1997 Nendaz

Cheerful pizza:

Restaurant Osteria il Trullo, Rte des Ecluses 12, 1997 Nendaz
latest report
Sonmi451 wrote:

I'm also hoping some of the group we're going with will join me on a few of the blacks. Are there any that are recommended as a more gentle place to start?

I absolutely love the 4 valleys and ski there a lot (I’ll be back there in a fortnight). However, strangely I wouldn’t say its black runs were (relatively) its strength - certainly compared to the out of this world itineraries and off piste and its lovely cruisy reds.

Probably the best black to take a decent red run skier to is Ethérolla. It is in the Thyon sector on the far left hand side of the piste map. It can get icy (like all blacks I guess) but if it is not it is a good run and not too demanding.

The one you need to be careful with is the one you will come across at the end of each day as you head back to Nendaz. The black from Plan du Fou down to Prarion gets battered by the sun and can be an ice sheet all the way down, coupled with bare patches and skiers lying prostrate worrying about the choice they have made. I have friends who are reasonably good skiers who routinely stay on the lift up from Siviez over to Prarion rather than jump off and do the black down.
latest report
@Sonmi451, nice baguettes here in Nendaz, opposite the main lift.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/nBX1Jhbqu6qgdMoJA
snow report
That's great, thanks for the tips everyone!
snow conditions
The run I think @JohnMo is referring to is described in this thread about Skiing the itineraire on the Nendaz side of Plan du Fou here

If you want to ski the Verbier hub of which Nendaz is a satellite, then you can either drive or get the bus to Siviez, or ski over via Prarion and the Plan du Fou ridge down to Siviez. You then get a chair up the valley to Tortin. From there, you either get the télécabine up to Lac des Vaux, or the big gondola up to Col des Gentianes/Mt.Fort.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 24-02-24 23:10; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
LaForet wrote:
The run I think @JohnMo is referring to is described in this thread about Nendaz here

Yes. That is the one. The itinerary on skiers left can also be very good or a nightmare depending on conditions.
ski holidays
To orient yourself ahead of the trip, here’s a scale plan map of the 4 Vallées showing the main zones and satellites.

Note: This is provided without liability - it’s just something I’ve drawn up myself for our own clients. You would not use it as a map for an actual excursion. I don’t update it more than once a year, so specific runs/lifts may change. Always use the official piste map for planning your excursions and for directions.

The other area I’d give a warning about is the Chassoure mogul field. It’s shown on the map above. A lot depends on your mogul-handling ability and stamina. The field is long and wide: once you drop down to it there is no pisted area at the side and you are committed. So I’d always suggest you take the gondola that runs betwen Lac des Vaux and Tortin first and take a look before trying it. You ascend above it if as mentioned previously, you are coming up from Siviez and at Tortin take the gondola on the right up to Lac des Vaux. If you’re returning home from the Verbier sector, then you’d probably come back that way - many skiers take the gondola down to Tortin rather than ski chassoure.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 24-02-24 23:26; edited 1 time in total
latest report
JohnMo wrote:
LaForet wrote:
The run I think @JohnMo is referring to is described in this thread about Nendaz here

Yes. That is the one. The itinerary on skiers left can also be very good or a nightmare depending on conditions.

Timing is everything snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/XYCFY7sw2u4
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
JohnMo wrote:
LaForet wrote:

Timing is everything snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/XYCFY7sw2u4

Excellent. I have done that itinerary many times (it used to be the only way down before they created the black run on skiers right) - I have never done it in conditions like that!
ski holidays
Sonmi451 wrote:

Are there any recommendations for basic/cheap and cheerful (I realise it's all relative) places to stop for lunch/coffee/afternoon beers?

La Tétine off the Tortin chair above Siviez is a nice spot for a glass of wine in the sunshine

The best run in Nendaz (and one of the best pistes in the 4 valleys) is the Plan de Fou red down to Siviez. And if you want to try some off piste, take the Combatseline chair from Siviez and then the Greppon Blanc drag lift. Traversing right off the top of the Greppon Blanc drag lift gives you lots of space for fresh tracks which all drop back down to the lift. If you carry on round the corner, it takes you into the trees and you come out onto the Combatseline piste - see the video at the top of the page
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A quick lap of Ba Combe on Saturday morning with the kids

http://youtube.com/v/Fpp-We0lnAA
snow conditions
Even better in Vallon d’Arbi where the wind had blown all the snow

http://youtube.com/v/x0kwj3sYZQc
ski holidays
This is the Greppon Blanc right hand side traverse pitch. You can see the double poma lift at the bottom

http://youtube.com/v/VXAZdhizUV8
snow conditions
@BobinCH I’m thinking of attending a Warren Smith clinic next December, at some in the first three weeks.

Would it be pretty much guaranteed that Verbier would have sufficient snow at that time? I’m relaxed about the course content when it comes round, that is, not bothered if there’s fresh powder or not.
ski holidays
Snow&skifan wrote:
@BobinCH I’m thinking of attending a Warren Smith clinic next December, at some in the first three weeks.

Would it be pretty much guaranteed that Verbier would have sufficient snow at that time? I’m relaxed about the course content when it comes round, that is, not bothered if there’s fresh powder or not.

Nothing is guaranteed these days but Verbier is a good bet for an early season trip due to the altitude, aspect and upgraded snow making. The December just gone was spectacular

http://youtube.com/v/ZMVaXx7rXNI

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=165915&start=80
latest report
BobinCH wrote:
Snow&skifan wrote:

Nothing is guaranteed these days but Verbier is a good bet for an early season trip due to the altitude, aspect and upgraded snow making. The December just gone was spectacular

http://youtube.com/v/ZMVaXx7rXNI

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=165915&start=80

Many thanks.
ski holidays
rungsp wrote:
Almost all the usual routes down the Lac side of Mont Gele have slid...and slid a long way.
Valor D'Arbis is closed with a poster posted on the netting to stop anyone ignoring the closed sign. I've never seen that before.

Remember that
i) Level 3 = considerable risk (i.e avalanches expected)
ii) The international scale is 1-5. However level 5 is seldom used more than once every 2-3 years (danger to building and infrastructure).
So effectively the avalanche scale is just 1-4 with level-3 being 75% of the scale in normal usage.

rungsp wrote:

In very simple terms...
Level 3 = human triggered avalanches likely
Level 4 = natural avalanches likely

The scale takes little consideration of the size of resulting avalanches which may occur.

rungsp wrote:
I strongly believe that as it is a peak holiday week the powers that be just don't want to go to 4 for publicity reasons

The SLF are very good and methodical at what they do. World leaders in avalanche forecast.
They are also certainly independent on televerbier.

Ultimately the real problem is that most folk have no idea what level 3 (considerable) actually means.
In part because of the way the levels (1-5) are described.
snow report
Haggis_Trap wrote:
rungsp wrote:

Remember that
i) Level 3 = considerable risk (i.e avalanches expected)
ii) The international scale is 1-5. However level 5 is seldom used more than once every 2-3 years (danger to building and infrastructure).
So effectively the avalanche scale is just 1-4 with level-3 being 75% of the scale in normal usage.

rungsp wrote:

In very simple terms...
Level 3 = human triggered avalanches likely
Level 4 = natural avalanches likely

The scale takes little consideration of the size of resulting avalanches which may occur.

rungsp wrote:

The SLF are very good and methodical at what they do. World leaders in avalanche forecast.
They are also certainly independent on televerbier.

Ultimately the real problem is that most folk have no idea what level 3 (considerable) actually means.
In part because of the way the levels (1-5) are described.

SLF aka Whiterisk now differentiate between 3-, 3= and 3+ and when looking at the visible avalanche activity there is a considerable difference between them. 3+ was the level when there was the huge avi on Highway last year
https://whiterisk.ch/en/conditions
ski holidays
@BobinCH, wish the Austrian's would develop an app like whiterisk, it's so good.
snow report
BobinCH wrote:

SLF aka Whiterisk now differentiate between 3-, 3= and 3+ and when looking at the visible avalanche activity there is a considerable difference between them. 3+ was the level when there was the huge avi on Highway last year

I think that sub dividing the level-3 category (3-, 3 or 3+) is very sensible.
The SAIS in Scotland do something similar on their avalanche rose (using dashed section of level 2/3 or 3/4) to distinguish between "widespread" and "localised" hazard.
A huge part of the problem is that wider public don't really understand the international scale and what level-3 actually means.
As you observe above - it is still possible to get very large human triggered avalanches at level-3.
As ever with avalanche forecasting the devil is often in the detail rather than just the headline number.
ski holidays
I posted in detail about it here
https://www.instagram.com/p/CqFi4Baux4W/?igsh=MXRrbXhpZzlpcmpscA==

I was caught out last weekend. I read the avi forecast at 6.30am and it showed 3- which reassured me. I made a route finding error and ended up in a rarely skied and heavily wind loaded couloir on the South side of Mont Gelé. I sideslipped a ridge to get down but triggered a consequential avalanche in the process. Fortunately I was above the fracture line and there was no one below me. When reflecting afterwards on my decisions and actions I re-checked the avi report. It had been upgraded to 3+ at 8am. I wouldn’t have skied that face if I had seen it was 3+. Some lessons learned…
snow conditions
Here is the definition of level-3. Pretty much as you describe? Isolated hazards specific to certain (wind loaded) locations.

I think it's useful to have 3- and 3+ as a headline but even then it is highly dependent on detail (i.e aspects, altitude and terrain).

Triggering is possible, even from low additional loads, particularly on the indicated steep slopes. In certain situations some large, and in isolated cases very large natural avalanches are possible.
https://www.avalanches.org/standards/avalanche-danger-scale/#:~:text=The%20avalanche%20danger%20level%20is,%E2%80%93%20moderate%2C%201%20%E2%80%93%20low.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy