Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Verbier 4 Vallées 2023/2024

Poster: A snowHead
Ready for official opening on Saturday

Ok maybe not…
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
milzibkit wrote:
Can anyone advise what the link runs to access the main skiing above Verbier are like? Are they interesting in their own right or just boring tracks to traverse along the mountain?

Any idea how long it'd take and whether there would be a chance to explore the Verbier side, or just enough time for a quick glance down at the village and then need to head back again?

They are boring but it is worth it for the skiing after Siviez. We do this journey regularly returning from the Etygeon itinerary. It takes approx 1h30mins from the Les Masses chair to Verbier (Médran) assuming moderate traffic. So if you are good skiers and start early you could in theory get a good 4 hours skiing over on the Verbier side, which is enough to also cover Nendaz, La Tzoumaz and even Bruson if you have strong legs!

The route we take is:
Les Masses
Etherolla (this is a great lift with good skiing underneath it)
Travers across to Tsa drag lift
Les Chottes
Then you either take the first section of Greppon Blanc or if you are good skiers you can cut underneath it through the trees for the shortcut that joins the Combatseline piste
That takes you to Siviez.
From there you can take the Plan de Fou bubble to ski Nendaz
Or the Tortin chair followed by either:
Chassoure bubble to access Lac des Vaux (and Col des Mines and Vallon d’Arbi itineraries)
Or Gentianes Câble car to access Mont Fort

Here is the interactive map:
https://infosnow.ch/~apgmontagne/?id=45&tab=map-wi2&lang=fr
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's great, thanks for the detailed response.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@milzibkit

Here's a simplified plan-view map I did for our clients. It's just meant as a slightly different, topographically correct map-type perspective vs the official ski map. The trouble with the latter is that it foreshortens some areas, like all perspective views.

I think it's always worth a diversion to go up to Plan du Feu - the views over to La Tzoumaz are interesting

and there's a big café at the top and the runs down from there back to Siviez are pleasant. If you're after a challenge, the itinerary down from there to the black down to Prarion are, well, challenging and the new lift up from Prarion is makes it easy to return to PdF. This is often moguls so you need to be competent at these if you do it, obviously. This photo gives a better ides of how steep and mogul-y it can be (there's the old télécabine in the photo to give you an idea of scale):

The café is the crinkle-roofed building in the photo' and the télécabine has been replaced by a new fast gondola link.

On the way back from Lac des Vaux, I suggest that you don't embark on the Chassoure mogul field unless you've surveyed it first, as it's pretty relentless. As mentioned, one route into Zone 1 on the map is to take the gondola up from Tortin to Lac des Vaux, which runs above Chassoure. I have a photo' but it doesn't really do it justice in terms of how long and wide it is.

-----------

Now, I'm obviously biased, as our place is in La Tzoumaz, but all I'd say about Les Collons is that is is somewhat at the far edge of the 4 Vallées. A sort of Terminus to Verbier's Trantor. I'm not a great fan of the Greppon Blanc 1 and 2 drag lifts. I'd say that if you'r after a satellite to Verbier, then either Nendaz or La Tzoumaz are nearer, plus consider Le Chable in the valley (which would mean you'd not need a car as the train goes there). Verbier, obviously, is the hub, but I'm assuming that you're not staying there because of accommodation cost. Although even Verbier has some lower-priced accomodation. I'd admit that the downside of La Tzoumaz is the ancient bubble up from Verbier (which has a lower tolerance to high winds than more modern ones) and that if the avalanche gate is closed, you have to ski down into Verbier to get a poma up to Mayentzet.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 30-11-23 16:35; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's very helpful, thanks. Les Collons was being looked at because it seemed reasonably high and had some ski in/out accommodation that our group liked the look of.

Looking at the piste map, it looks like you have to ski a black run either to get over to the Verbier side or to get back to Les Collons? I'm talking about the area at the top of the Combatseline lift? Some of us will be OK with that in the group, but some would likely struggle. If that's the case, then we may well explore alternative bases.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Coming 'home' from Combatzeline you'd take one of the two button drags up to Greppon Blanc and the left hand (as you ski it) red down to the button drag up to Thyon. So no black involved. I'm an intermediate who only skis pistes and it's well within my ability. But it' is all a bit of a drag. I've done it once, but the next time, facing the Greppon Blanc drags, I told the other guys to go ahead and I had a leisurely and pleasant ski on my own home to La Tzoumaz. It was just too much hassle for me for only shortish time around Thyon. In fact, they were too late coming back that day to catch the last Savoleyres connection, and had to ski back via the Vallon d'Arbi (which is a non-trivial itinerary). Now, when we go over to ski around Thyon, we drive from La Tzoumaz and park at Veysonnaz, so there's no range anxiety. Les Collons to the Verbier Sector is less distance than LTZ<>Thyon, but you'd still be facing a bit of a trek to get home.

The other thing about being based in La Tzoumaz or Nendaz (and Verbier, obviously), or down in the valley at Le Chable is that you can still get to/from a lot of the area on foot. It might not be a factor for you but it can be if someone gets exhausted or is slightly injured. Or perhaps if the weather is lousy but wants to get out and use their ski pass. Or just fancies a day off and wants to meet up with the skiers.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks. I've found some accommodation in Nendaz. Nothing in La Tzoumaz for our party, unfortunately. I get obsessed with worrying about snow - is Nendaz usually OK for the first week of March? It's our only trip this year, so keen to make sure we can ski back down to the accommodation. It's lower than Les Collons, but north-facing.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@LaForet, love that map!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
milzibkit wrote:
Thanks. I've found some accommodation in Nendaz. Nothing in La Tzoumaz for our party, unfortunately. I get obsessed with worrying about snow - is Nendaz usually OK for the first week of March? It's our only trip this year, so keen to make sure we can ski back down to the accommodation. It's lower than Les Collons, but north-facing.

It’ll be fine in March. And you have the bonus option of getting the ski bus to Siviez which is the best access point of all to the high north facing skiing in the 4V.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Roll up, roll up…
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Here is the wider angle view of the slopes between Tracouet (left, E) Prarion (centre, D) and Plan du Feu (right, A).

There is now a fast gondola from Prarion [D] to PdF [A] replacing the button drag and big télécabine. The area in the photo in my previous post is outlined around [1].

Outbound, you’d catch the big télécabine from Nendaz up to Tracouet [E], then ski down the piste [3] to the new lift base [D], and take it up to PdF [A], then ski down the other side to Siviez.

Return, you’d catch the lift up from Siviez to PdF and either 1. Ski down the mogul field [1] then down the black [2] to the chairlift at Prarion [C] or 2. just hop on the new gondola down to [D] and ski the short run to [C] and back up to Tracouet [E].

In the middle of the picture is a large area with large trees somewhat dispersed. This is an ancient larch (‘meleze’ in French) forest and is one of only three remnant Alpine larch forest left over from the last Ice Age. Some of them are massive, with a circumference of over 12 metres.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 30-11-23 23:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tell me more about these larches, go to la tzoumaz for 3rd time & might take a detour, though I’m not really one for off piste so would prefer a walking route!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Here’s an article about a summer hike to see the larches, one of which is the largest in Europe (apparently) at 14.6m circumference. They range in age from 800 to over 1,000 years and are the offspring of trees that grew there after the last Ice Age ended around 10,000 years ago. There are only three such sites in the Alps.

https://www.novo-monde.com/en/nendaz-autumn-hike-balavaux/

Visiting in winter is going to be a bit trickier as (hopefully) the area is somewhat more snow-covered and the pistes down to Balavaux/Prarion aren’t necessarily that near to them. You could probably get a reasonable aerial view from the chairlift up from Prarion to Tracouet.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@BobinCH, ski your heart out in that!!
snow report
Indigestion from eating too much snow snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/loymQUaqlQY

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 3-12-23 7:19; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Opening up high today snowHead snowHead snowHead

snow report
.....and it's only 3rd Dec!! Have a great day, be careful......!
snow conditions
Rogerdodger wrote:
.....and it's only 3rd Dec!! Have a great day, be careful......!

Thanks! Stunning day and lush conditions

Warm up lap didn’t suck snowHead snowHead snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/ZMVaXx7rXNI
latest report
Deep

Steep
snow conditions
Great couple of pics @BobinCH, as you say, that is a great deal of snow.
ski holidays
Last one from the weekend rather sums it up snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/z7tL5M1KeBY

Hoping for a few hours of sunshine on Saturday before the dreaded warming…

Although YR (GEM?) less encouraging

Looks cold (and sunny) again for the weekend after
snow report
Mont Fort open for business. Not a mogul in sight snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/L2g_XxOT0ek
latest report
La Tzoumaz run into the télécabine this morning (9 Dec ‘23):

http://youtube.com/v/-0tIPmhEYqo?si=MP1k9UKuiagcq8og

Been snowing steadily yesterday and warming up slightly. Snow here at 1500 is a little soft. Just started snowing again at 14:00 and forecast to continue through tonight. Cloud but clear tomorrow. This side is only partially open this Weekend.
ski holidays
20cm of fresh at Attelas but snow is heavy today after Foehn wind yesterday. Got a few nice turns with the boy above Jumbo in the pm

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 14-12-23 10:21; edited 1 time in total
snow report
After the rain we have snow again!!!
snow report
Lucky boys who got the weather window today. It’s going to be epic on Friday!
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0y936sMC5M/?igshid=N2ViNmM2MDRjNw==
snow report
Sweet lines.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Free ski test for any Faction fanboys
snow report
Lac des Vaux now at record snow depths for this time of season since they started recording snow depths 31 years ago
latest report
A mate of mine had a very bad accident in the Attelas coulouirs last weekend, ended buried in a slide triggered from above. He's likely to be in hospital for the next few months.....take it easy out there folks!
latest report
That sucks. Hope he heals up quickly.
snow report
Good site to follow for Verbier avi activity
https://www.instagram.com/ridevalais?igshid=YTQwZjQ0NmI0OA==

Eg big slab at the top of the Chassoure gone (assume blasted this morning by the ski patrol given that it’s currently open!)
https://www.instagram.com/stories/ridevalais/3257592459100744557?igshid=N2ViNmM2MDRjNw==
ski holidays
Backside is open snowHead
ski holidays
Spectacular conditions everywhere! Finished the day with an epic run down the Plan de Fou. Everything open from today ie Mont Gelé, Nendaz, Bruson etc

http://youtube.com/v/udiuqeplF70
snow conditions
Backside Mont Fort love ski

http://youtube.com/v/im87OqLSQ7M
latest report
Going further afield. Todays objective…
snow conditions
@BobinCH, wheres'atat?
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@BobinCH, wheres'atat?

Dent de Nendaz! Getting out of my valley innit
ski holidays
@BobinCH, looks like some lovely lines to be earned wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy