Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpe d’Huez Grand Domaine Ski 23/24

Poster: A snowHead
Saturday was absolutely heaving, today less so, lower runs (under 1600m) are fairly hard packed and difficult. Snow higher up (2000m plus) consistently good.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Does anybody happen to know the lift open/close dates for the 2024 summer season please? I've looked on the website but can't find them.

In recent years I believe the lifts have typically closed on the last weekend of August, but I'm not sure if this year it will be 24/25th August, or 31st August/1st September.

Perhaps it hasn't been decided yet, but if anybody has any idea then I'd appreciate it please. Thanks.

Edit: The website banner now says June 22 to September 1, 2024, in case anyone is interested.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 29-01-24 13:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks @alpinebear and @The Flying Snowplough for the info. Just back from the annual week boarding in ADH. Went sunday- Sunday with Crystal staying in Royal ours blanc Hotel.
Monday - wens powderfest low visibility days and Thursday-Sat were bluebirds but more icy toward the end of the week lower down (villiards/vaujany).
Highlights were a 1.5hr lesson with and esf instructor which was powderfield after powderfield on the Wednesday and the helicopter day trip with herself to L2A on Thursday - an amazing experience for a steal of a price 85e return per person!

Queues on the last day (Sat) were a pain but none to speak of the previous 5 days.
Heavy snowfall forecast again this week so anybody heading that direction soon will have a whale of a time.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Day off ski today after the rain/snow of last night. Snow above 2200m lovely, below hard packed and icy.

We skied down to Oz from the DMC mid station and the piste was ice virtually all the way.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We had a horrific descent to a lovely lunch in Villard Reculas, but everything above 2000m we skied was fantastic, including a magical ski on Déversoir in wind blown powder. Hopefully the warmer conditions will soften the pistes down to Oz, Villard and Vaujany
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Good info Petere , do you or anyone esle think these will still be skiable all next week with the warmer temperatures that are comming.? seems to be a good base through out the resort that should hold up . were heading out saturday and i really wanted to ski to oz, villard & Vaujany, having cycled to there in the summer ?
thanks
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Petere wrote:
Saturday was absolutely heaving, today less so, lower runs (under 1600m) are fairly hard packed and difficult. Snow higher up (2000m plus) consistently good.

Yes, day trippers from grenoble
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can anyone recommend a private transfer company from Grenoble to ADH please and if possible - rough pricing?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Airport I assume, not the station? Although I've never used it, the cheapest is probably Ben's Bus who say they try to have a bus aligned for most arrivals/departures. Having recently hunted for transfers for four to Oz 3300 (same ski area), I found the cheapest way was the resort taxi companies, who were €300/320 return for 4 people (there are two firms in Oz). The larger firms were all considerably more expensive. I can't give you an ADH recommendation, I'm afraid (or even an Oz one... yet).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sorry yes to be clear Grenoble airport. Looking at doing a Friday Monday long weekend as the flights are cheap.

Circa €300 sounds good value for return transfer - I’ve found lots for €500 plus but that makes a quick weekend not very economical!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It’s a really easy drive, I have often found that if there are 3 of you, renting a small car can be very cost effective. Ben’s bus idea of “alignment” doesn’t often match mine, particularly on the return journey. Grenoble airport is not the best place to while away time.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Definitely not. When I looked at Ben's Bus, it was cheaper for fewer than 4 people, if I remember and it meant we would have to get from Grenoble Station to Grenoble Airport and from Bourg d'Oisans to Oz, i.e. a total faff (which wouldn't be an issue for you). If there are less than 4 of you on a budget airline, it's probably the cheapest way. I've heard good things about it but never tried it.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There is 2 of us and as it’s a Friday / Monday trip, I am happy to pay for time effectiveness of private transfer to get a ski afternoon in on the Friday and a ski morning in on the Monday.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Uber available from Grenoble airport and fairly good value
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You can type in the journey now for idea of price, used last year no issues
latest report
Great suggestion. Looking around €170 which is good. Thank you
snow report
Local guy based in Bourg d’Oisans

https://www.alp-venture.com/
snow conditions
Oz En Oisans - does the Moontain Hostel have a bar that's open to all? Not that we'll be tearing it up on the lash every night, but nice to de-camp at a bar for a drink now and then.
Spotted there's P'tit Verre d'Oz, which looks nice, and I think I spotted a next to the slopes (Ferme D'oz?)
ski holidays
I don't know about the Moontain I'm afraid, but the P'tit Verre is good and yes the Ferme overlooks the slopes. There's also the Potee in the middle of the village (https://www.oz-en-oisans.com/winter/offers/la-potee-oz-restaurant-oz-en-winter-2795292/). It's the one with all the ski instructors outside!
snow conditions
Interesting article from the mayor of Huez.

https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/societe/l-alpe-d-huez-envisage-de-limiter-le-nombre-de-skieurs-sur-les-pistes-le-weekend-4450680

Isère: faced with the crowds, the Alpe d'Huez plans to limit the number of skiers on the slopes on weekends.

While the first holidaymakers are expected in the ski resorts this weekend, in Alpe d'Huez (Isère) it is planned to limit the number of skiers on the slopes on Saturdays, because attendance is increasingly important.

With the lack of snow in mid-mountain resorts, many skiers go up to altitude resorts to find ideal conditions. Attendance at the Alpe d'Huez (Isère) resort is up 15% while the winter of 2023 had already been a record. Good news, but also concern on the side of the mayor of the municipality.

A postponement of low stations"

Despite the absence of snowfall in recent days, the Alpe d'Huez domain is fully open. The rain has made it possible, at this altitude, to make what is needed in cultivated snow. As a result, a lot of people on the slopes.

"The season is exceptional, because unfortunately we have a postponement of low stations that may also happen during the February holidays. This almost becomes a problem on weekends. We have a lot of people who ski by the day, with those who come from other resorts in addition to our usual customers. We have been a little worried for some time about the number of people on the slopes on weekends. We wonder if we are not going to regulate a little on Saturday and stop some quotas. We will in any case have to do so in the coming years because of the lack of lower snow, "explains the mayor of Huez, Jean-Yves Noyrey.

A reflection also caused by material hazes: "Many things are accumulating for us this year, because we were unable to do the planned ski lifts, for an administrative problem. We have a chairlift of 3,000 people per hour that could not be set up."

"Focus on permanent habitat"

In Alpe d'Huez, there are 26,000 beds, and there is no question of creating thousands more: "We know where we are going. We still have 2,000 tourist beds under construction and we will stop there. We will be in configuration to ensure the next 30 years because all new constructions have been carried out with a 30-year rental obligation. We will gradually adapt to the lack of snow so we focus on permanent habitat so that people live here all year round. It will also take more and more events to shoot winter and summer."
snow conditions
@Alpinebear, interesting. I thought Saturdays were always quiet in resorts because it was changeover day - except for those that are closest to the major conurbations. Paradiski and 3V having promotions to encourage it. Didn't think ADH was particularly a weekend venue but maybe that is the point - it is when conditions are poor at lower elevations.

Also interesting to hear no more beds will be constructed for perhaps 30 years. I hope they keep to that. Also to hear they will prioritise permanent residents. Wondering how all this will work in practice.
snow report
Layne wrote:
Didn't think ADH was particularly a weekend venue but maybe that is the point - it is when conditions are poor at lower elevations.

45 minutes from Grenoble. 11th city n France with nearly a million people living in the conurbation.
snow report
@davidof, 1h 15m according to google.

Aren't Les Sept Laux, Saint Pierre de Chartreuse, Lans en Vercors and Chamrousse closer - and the more normally done by weekenders?

And the zig zags up to ADH are a pain aren't they. Maybe Oz is easier/quicker..
snow report
Layne wrote:

Aren't Les Sept Laux, Saint Pierre de Chartreuse, Lans en Vercors and Chamrousse closer - and the more normally done by weekenders?

Yes those are closer but they are a lot more smaller. When I was a student there in Grenoble (a long time ago now) we went to the resorts you mentioned during weekday afternoons after classes and the bigger resorts like L2A or Alpe D during the weekends especially Saturday as L2A were doing bargain deals for students on Saturdays. Think ski pass + transfer from Grenoble was like 25 euros Laughing Those were the days!

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 8-02-24 16:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@euanovsky, cheers, makes sense I guess.

My missus drove 2 hours to ski Sonnenkopf/Stuben when she was young.
snow report
Layne wrote:

No you access through Allemont now, no real climb. 45 minutes. 35 euros for a Saturday lift pass.
snow conditions
@davidof, ah, yeah, I remember that being mentioned now.

So mayor makes it super easy for people to connect into resort and then complains there are too many coming Laughing
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
@davidof, ah, yeah, I remember that being mentioned now.

So mayor makes it super easy for people to connect into resort and then complains there are too many coming Laughing

yeah and plans a lift from Bourg d'Oisans to add to the chaos.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This is the most immediately obvious impact of the rising snow line in Isére, isn’t it? The decline of the more local hills for the residents of Grenoble and environs which sends them in the direction of the most accessible snow sure destination AdH. I read a series of posts somewhere last autumn about a tour of them, sounded like great fun. I wonder when it will be possible again.
snow conditions
Looking for advice on ski hire in ADH. I want to book in advance - is there anywhere that guarantees specific models/lengths rather than just a price category?
snow report
Last week or so of up to +10˚C weather seems to have taken its toll on the snowline low down - however, looking like it's cooling towards the end of the week and a decent dump on Thursday night.
ski holidays
Nice snow fall last night of around 20cm. Happy skiers.
snow report
I thought it was pretty reasonable at the end of last week (Thurs/Fri) so it must be fab today after even more!
ski holidays
Looking forward to the weekend! I arrive Saturday for a couple of weeks Very Happy
snow report
ciderinsport wrote:
Looking forward to the weekend! I arrive Saturday for a couple of weeks Very Happy

Some more snow due from Sunday so you should have some lovely conditions and slopes should be quieter as only one zone on holiday.
ski holidays
Alpinebear wrote:
ciderinsport wrote:

Some more snow due from Sunday so you should have some lovely conditions and slopes should be quieter as only one zone on holiday.

Fingers crossed! We normally squeeze the 2 weeks between the holidays and the festival, it's all a bit close together this year so our first week overlaps... Next year we are hoping it's back to normal with Easter being late.

The snow is looking so much better than the previous 2 years. I'm hopeful there won't be much falling falling Saturday afternoon as I drive up. Once i'm up it can snow all it likes Very Happy
latest report
Alpinebear wrote:
ciderinsport wrote:

This I like as I arrive Saturday for a few days!
latest report
Anyone in ADH currently to comment on conditions? Thinking of booking somewhere in the next 24hrs coming out at Easter on 30th March.
Is the Bergers area a good base for Easter?
ski holidays
Boarderfarce wrote:
Anyone in ADH currently to comment on conditions? Thinking of booking somewhere in the next 24hrs coming out at Easter on 30th March.
Is the Bergers area a good base for Easter?

Looks rather good at the moment compared to the last couple of years.

I can give a more accurate update next week.
snow report
I'd like to check the connection to L2A from ADH. Are there only direct buses between the two resorts on Wednesdays? I'm aware there are connection options (I'm also aware of the helicopter transfer too but won't be considering that). My understanding is that the A2H ski pass lets you ski in L2A twice so I'm trying to see if I can make full use of that.

Separately the A2H website points me to this page to reserve the navettes Grandes Alpes (https://www.bus-et-clic.com/) but I couldn't get the dropdown option to work (one of the stops has to be Grenoble Gare Routiere). Any ideas how I can book the coach tickets online?

Thanks a lot!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy