Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpe d’Huez Grand Domaine Ski 23/24

Poster: A snowHead
I have been caught out by the french custom of not providing bed sheets or towels for an apartment, and now discover it's too late to hire any! Would anyone know whether there's a shop in Alpe d'huez likely to sell us cheap sleeping bags? Puzzled

Still, snow looks good! snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi all,
any tips on ski hire shops in ADH? I've figured when renting online there are three price tiers (for top category skis for 7 days, no boots):

Alpinresorts shops ~ €125
Intersport ~ €144
Skimium shops ~ €160
(the top is Altitude with 5.0 google reviews @ €170 )

Do these reflect genuine differences in hiring experience (selection of skis and their condition)? Where would you recommend hiring for top quality?
Also, I am looking for all-mountain skis, but will try to book a touring experience or two, and might need touring skis for a couple of days.
Thanks for any pointers!

(I've read up old posts on the topic, and not sure a lot of advice still applies, e.g. Nevada sports -- there seem to be 2 distinct shops, one permanently closed, and the other part of Ski republic with bad reviews...)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For anyone thinking of a last minute trip next week, ADH has plenty of snow!

A bit icy in places and off piste not worth the bother, but plenty to ski on!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There was almost 25cm of fresh at town level on Tues night, so lovely yesterday. Very cold overnight and so hard this morning, but will soften up. All day sunshine today.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I did a lovely run down la Sarenne first thing this morning. Was waiting for the lifts to open Very Happy

I made it all the way to 17.20 too! Fantastic day Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I was looking forward to shorter queus today, unfortunately the wind is keeping most the lifts closed...

Fingers crossed for tomorrow after a snowfall tonight!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anyone got any insight to when Tomorrowland 2025 might be in town???

I want to give some dates to the agent so we can get the same apartment again but hoping to avoid the school holiday queues of last week.... Hoping for 2 weeks between holidays and festival!

Really hoping for 2 weeks from 8th March 2025. That way I'll be at home for my granddaughters 1st birthday on 6th March too - yep, missed the arrival last week as was already here and she popped out a bit ahead of schedule!

So if anyone has a way of giving me wink or something to say I'll be good then that would be cool thanks Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think I remember reading that there was no contract in place for the event in 2025. Incidentally I have been in Vaujany for the last two editions, and experienced little inconvenience skiing throughout the domaine. The attendees seem to keep rather different skiing hours to me!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Petere wrote:
I think I remember reading that there was no contract in place for the event in 2025. Incidentally I have been in Vaujany for the last two editions, and experienced little inconvenience skiing throughout the domaine. The attendees seem to keep rather different skiing hours to me!

Fingers crossed it doesn't happen then!

Unfortunately the accomadation we love is in town so restricted by the festival...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Petere, contract is in place until 2030 but there is a small but growing local movement against it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davidof wrote:
@Petere, contract is in place until 2030 but there is a small but growing local movement against it.

I'll hapily join that movement - even if I'm only 'local' 2 weeks a year Very Happy

The amount of infrastucture being lifted by chopper / towed up the mountain by piste basher is insane! No idea how it can be finacially viable and it's definately not good for the planet!

Speaking to the staff in restaurants around the resort this week they seem to fall very much in the love / hate camps. I guess that matches their love of the festival. I love music and organise a small festival each year but really can't see how this works. But I am old Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The people against it will be the same bar owners who are not happy with the Moosebar which has been a breath of fresh air offering something different to the après ski in resort.

It’s a great week of musical festivities, unfortunately some locals won’t be happy because they won’t have their normal parking space for a week!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
davidof wrote:

I must be mistaken, or was it wishful thinking? I skied past some of the on-mountain locations today. They are pretty localised, focussed on the middle of the DMC and the top of Marmotte 1. They are substantial however, especially around the DMC. Last season visiting these locations was like an Anthropology field trip, though not many of the tribespeople ventured far from them. The role played by the resort seems to be that of a holiday resort with sufficient infrastructure to host the visitors, rather than a ski domaine.

In other news the snow on piste is fabulous and the weather is good.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Petere wrote:

I must be mistaken, or was it wishful thinking?

Maybe they need additional permissions?

I saw online that the mayor had signed an contract through to 2030.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
[quote="Petere"]
davidof wrote:
@Petere,
In other news the snow on piste is fabulous and the weather is good.

This is most definately correct! Fabulous out there today Very Happy
snow report
We're arriving on the penultimate day of Tomorrowland (albeit, staying in Oz) - anyone know what impact the final day of festivities and then the disassembly of the Tomorrowland facilities will have on the main ADH resort in general and how long it lasts?
Not majorly worried - it is what it is - but would be a bit narked if areas of the slopes are closed to us regular punters and we weren't aware.
snow conditions
I’m sure you won’t be narked. The main area on the slopes is at the mid station DMC. Marmotte 1 already has the FD.
You’ll be fine.
ski holidays
The only run closed is Chavanu. More gorgeous snow and weather today by the way.
ski holidays
Specialman wrote:
then the disassembly of the Tomorrowland facilities will have on the main ADH resort in general and how long it lasts?

I suspect the break down would last weeks for some of the areas like the astro pitch area but suspect most wouldn't really affect. We were there when they were prepping all the sculpures etc and they didn't really get in the way at all so suspect removal would be similar
snow conditions
One more day of warm temperatures then cold and hopefully snowy Tuesday and Wednesday.

TML festival in full swing. Had a great night there last night. The stage show is really fantastic and a brilliant atmosphere with all ages and nationalities.
ski holidays
Arriving today in Alpe D’Huez could anyone tell me how conditions are? Looks to have been warm for a while with no snow fall.
ski holidays
Lower slopes sketchy especially in Auris. Not too bad above 2000m though it’s been slushy in the afternoon. Getting colder in the next few days.
snow report
Arrived in Oz En Oisans last night, snowed lightly then snowed most of the day on/off across the ADH domain. Lots of soft stuff on the surface but still some icy patches, it was a bit crunchy in many places. Greens from Jeux lift were great, red back into Oz was sketchy.

Hopefully new snow through the week will help a lot

But still good to be skiing after so many years off
latest report
Random Q, anybody in ADH who would have a spare garmin watch charger I could use to charge please?
ski holidays
Morning conditions were bluebird and lovely, lots of loose snow on Chalets run, but choppy and quickly turned to mogul hell down to Montfrais section. Watched the ski racing for a bit, did a few blues (cascade, myrtles) but it was all a bit meh for learning so headed back to Oz for lunch. Plus, 10yo twisted her knee so it was a few tears and a downlift.

Afternoon went to ADH with the older kids - swapped skis for the snowboard but it’s was another slushfest, the greens from Le Jeux were really sticky and not much fun at all, it needs some snow, lots of brown areas now. Marcel’s farm was fine for the kids to learn turns, but not spectacular - thankfully by 4:30pm they were pooped so we headed home. Some cold weather and fresh snow incoming should help. Currently raining in Oz as I type this, a crate of Leffe ritual 9% will make the evening more fun as we (hopefully) watch drizzle turn to white stuff

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 27-03-24 8:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Snowing down here in Bourg D’oisans at 720m.

Webcams looking good in resort.
ski holidays
All the resort paths nicely covered in Oz En Oisans - would say at least 15cm

Looks mint, my kids are well happy that it looks like a postcard
snow conditions
Very strong winds forecast for tomorrow followed by snow for the weekend around 1800m. Monday looks interesting!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This morning was brilliant; snow from yesterday was nicely settled in and not overly chopped-up, blues and reds from 2700m were in great shape, a joy to ski on. On/off snow most of the morning, nothing too heavy.

Seems anything up high was off limits, runs closed and Marmottes 3 not running.

Very busy in ADH after lunch, Marcel’s Farm was in spectacular condition for the kids to learn on. Sun came out, great stuff.

Red from Poutran back to Oz was brilliant top half, slushfest down at the bottom.

Altogether a really good day, best I’ve skied all week - legs are shot now. Final day tomorrow, more of the same it seems weather-wise. People arriving next week look like they may have powder beyond belief
ski holidays
Complicated couple of days with the south wind. Lots closed today and maybe the same tomorrow.
ski holidays
Thanks @Alpinebear.

Do you know when decisions are likely to be made about tomorrow, or is it continuously decided hour-by-hour? (We're in Oz where everything is basically closed today, so we're trying to work out whether it's worth making plans to get round to ADH by road tomorrow or not.)
ski holidays
@shrew, I think the strong winds continue all weekend.
snow report
Thanks @davidof, although that's a bit gutting as we're only here for three days!

Oh well, at least it's sunny at the moment so the kids can enjoy sledging and things Happy
snow conditions
@shrew, you'll ahve to see tomorrow but I looked on Meteo France's website and they show similar winds on Saturday. Chamrousse is also largely shut.
It is very gutting I agree. Really frustrating for you. It is a year of wind this year.
latest report
The forecast is for strong winds again in the morning

Vent à 2000m : sud 90-120km/h le matin, 70km/h l’après-midi

Vent à 3000m : sud-sud est 120km/h le matin, sud 80km/h le soir

Unfortunately Sunday looks similar.
snow conditions
Un vent à décorner les chamois

https://fb.watch/r6p4iRb41Q/
snow report
All is quiet, on Good Friday
Nothing moves, lifts gone away

http://youtube.com/v/7SheNmPKU9E

well ok the webcam is wobbling up and down in the wind
snow conditions
Same as yesterday, most lifts shut.
ski holidays
Yep, we're teaching ourselves to snowboard on the nursery slopes in Oz instead because the magic carpet is running. Great fun!
ski holidays
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy