Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 3 Vallées 2023/24 - Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens etc

Poster: A snowHead
Great stuff thank you - gotta love a post ski pizza! We are actually going to be honeymooning so if we did want to go somewhere a bit stuck up do you have any recommendations? I haven't been to 3V's in quite a few years.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@lcoutts, on the side of the piste near the Hameau du Mottaret is the Hotel Arolles and restaurant Hermine, which in the daytime has a large white bear outside. Well worth a look!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lcoutts wrote:
Flying out on Dec 10th to spend a week in Meribel Mottaret, hoping the snow continues to fall! I haven't stayed in Mottaret before, are there any nice restaurants for dinner? If not, does anyone know if the free bus shuttle into Meribel village will be running by then?

We really like the La BrizOlee particularly if we fancy a raclette or a pierrade (hot rock). The wine list is also good and sensibly priced (quite a few Savoie wines). Don't wear your best shirt though - it does get quite smoky when busy (but it does add to the ambience).

For somewhere a bit more special I'd go for the tasting menu at L'Ekrin in Meribel (there are free buses that run between Mottaret and Meribel).

And, of course, there are plenty of lovely restaurants on the mountain across the whole area - Blanchot (Meribel Altiport), Bouc Blanc (La Tania), La Soucoupe (Courchevel) to name but a few.

Enjoy and congratulations.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chalet Pierre on the Verdons piste on the way into 1850. Expensive but not eye watering and it is amazing. Check out the cakes on the way in!

I always favour spending the dosh on a nice lunch rather than dinner in a ski resort. Usually knackered and ready for bed after a few drinks by 8pm.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For dinner in Meribel the best restaurant for a treat is Le Cepe, expensive but not stupid. It has made it into the Michelin guide.
The other great option is the Close Up. Excellent food at reasonable prices and Francois the manager does amazing magic tricks for you after dinner.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Any suggestions on which hire shops in the top of Mottaret to avoid or are recommended? (specifically wanting to avoid somewhere with just one or two boot options to hopefully maximise the chances of hiring boots that vaguely fit my mother - I haven't been able to persuade her to visit Solutions4Feet in Bicester for her own yet but it is on the cards...)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Brilliant - thank you all so much for the fantastic recommendations, at least if there is a lack of snow our tummies will be very content!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@TJ1, if by top you mean the Le Hameau / Laitelet side I have used Intersport (Le Creux d'Ours) quite a few times with no issues.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
On the app it says that La masse gondola opens on the 16th but the restaurant at the top is opening on the 9th and past seasons it opens on opening weekend. I wouldn’t think this is based on conditions - maybe just incorrect info on the app?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dreading this rain ruining my beautiful webcam views at lower level meribel
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Heavy snowwwww
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bezthespaniard wrote:
Heavy snowwwww

Where? When? Puzzled
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arrived in St Martin at around 3.30pm this afternoon. It was raining all the way up, but as we approached the village the precipitation became what Mr P and I call "Textured rain", and now the temp has dropped a bit it's properly snowing at 1450m.Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A bit late to this thread about passes for 3V, but thought some of you might be interested to know that the Epic Pass from Vail Resorts now offers access to a few European resorts including 3V. Full Epic Pass holders get 7 days at 3V and these resorts:
* Unlimited Days at Andermatt-Sedrun-Disentis, Switzerland
* 7 Consecutive Days at Skirama Dolomiti, Italy and Les 3 Vallées, France
* 5 Consecutive Days at Verbier 4 Vallées, Switzerland
* 3 Consecutive Days at Ski Arlberg, Austria
More info: https://www.epicpass.com/region/europe.aspx

I’ll be using my pass at Heavenly (Lake Tahoe), Park City (UT), and 3V (woohoo!) this season. First time skiing in France - going in mid-January. Looking forward to it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My son is in 1650 and was driving around today. Car has been parked up since 4 and he's just sent me a photo with about a foot of fresh on the roof
snow report
Arrived 7pm tonight, knackered after the long journey but the snow looked thick, but like a softer texture than I've seen before? Perhaps as the temperature is above zeroo
latest report
16 inches of fresh snow overnight here at 1450m.

Will venture up the road to VT mid morning.
latest report
Good conditions for Courchevel opening day, cold, fresh snow though visibility was coming & going.
The usual first week handful of lifts were open (Praz, Verdons, Plantrey, Biolley, Vizelle, Aig. du Fruit), but great snow on the pistes that were open, and deep powder off to the sides, though below 2200m there is not a massive base and there were definitely signs that a few people will need to do some ski servicing tonight...!
ski holidays
Perty wrote:
16 inches of fresh snow overnight here at 1450m.

Will venture up the road to VT mid morning.

Wow!

Have a great time and remember to let us know how it goes. Very Happy
snow report
@Bergmeister, today was fab, blue skies, fresh snow until…after lunch I fell at speed on a blue run (Fond) and have a fractured the head of my humerus. rolling eyes . At first I thought I had just wrenched shoulder muscles, but after 5 mins, and feeling a tad queasy, I decided it hurt too much to ski. Kindly pisteurs took me off the mountain, and at first the view seemed to be a dislocated shoulder, but the X-ray showed up the fracture. I’m now home strapped up, with my season pretty much bu**ered. Certainly till March, and even after that, I think gentle skiing may well be all that is feasible. So frustrating. It won’t stop me coming to France… but Mr P will be looking for ski mates, plus we’d booked a raft of half day lessons/full days with a local (St M) Scottish instructor, so we were anticipating far more than previously out of this season.

However…it could be a lot worse, I’m still coming to France and the dog will be delighted about having far more walks!
ski holidays
@Perty, sorry to hear that, such rotten luck to get injured right at the start of the season.
latest report
Perty,

Oh no! We are both so sorry to hear that. What a disaster at the start of the season! Eh oh!

So impressed with your positive outlook, ("it could be a lot worse"), however, and hope you are back on the slopes again as soon as possible.

Very best wishes from me and Mrs B.
snow conditions
Sorry to hear that @Perty. I was just discussing Mrs MA's tibial plateau fracture last Feb with @Bergmeister earlier today - saying just how (unfortunately) things can change in an instant with a ski injury.

Wishing you well and hoping you are back on the slopes before too long. A positive outlook is definitely half the battle.
ski holidays
@Bergmeister, PS..before my crash, this morning we met up with Hans the Swedish guy who was on your Norway trip. He sends his regards.
ski holidays
@Perty, oh no, so sorry to read that. I hope you heal completely and swiftly.
snow conditions
Perty wrote:
@Bergmeister, PS..before my crash, this morning we met up with Hans the Swedish guy who was on your Norway trip. He sends his regards.

Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
I did the same injury a few years ago, when my pole basket stuck in some uncooperative snow and the pole decided that the best thing in the circumstances was to jujitsu me to the floor...

With decent rehab, aka lots of really boring physio exercises right from the start, I was good to go again after four weeks.

Seems to depend on whether you've completely separated the the injury site. I had cracked it all round but it hadn't come away from the rest of the bone.
snow report
@shannyla, Depends on age too. 12 weeks for old farts like me
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was 50 at the time.
ski holidays
@shannyla, thanks. Doc said it was a fracture, no surgery required, but signed me off skiing for 90 days. Said i needed a ct scan once home-i hope that's just a precaution. hopefully my fracture is more like yours than Frosty's (he's given me more info in a PM).
snow report
shannyla wrote:
I was 50 at the time.
ya pup Laughing
snow report
@Perty, so sad to read your news. I hope that the strapping will make it less painful, but all the same Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh!
ski holidays
@Perty, bugger

Hope you have speedy recovery.
snow report
So sorry to hear this, @Perty: best wishes for a swift, simple and (as) painless (as possible) a recovery.
snow report
not sure if this is the best place for this question, but am not sure if it warrants its own thread either.

anyway, im coming to Val Thorens soon for a prolong duration and in need for boots and reasonably priced skis, bindings, helmet (was planing on buying last season skis and bindings online but seems like my billing address is not accepted).

I need a recommendation for a boot fitter, and a gear shop.

Zenith seems to get a good rep for bootfiting around the forum over the years, are they still any good?
ski holidays
IhaveAchance wrote:
not sure if this is the best place for this question, but am not sure if it warrants its own thread either.

anyway, im coming to Val Thorens soon for a prolong duration and in need for boots and reasonably priced skis, bindings, helmet (was planing on buying last season skis and bindings online but seems like my billing address is not accepted).

I need a recommendation for a boot fitter, and a gear shop.

Zenith seems to get a good rep for bootfiting around the forum over the years, are they still any good?

I bought new boots at Zenith last season and the service was excellent. They guarantee a comfort fit and were true to their guarantee. I developed a small pressure point on 1 foot after a couple of days skiing and took the boots back to the shop. They spent time assessing the problem then (overnight) expanded the shell by no more than 1mm at the pressure point. Job sorted! Very Happy
snow conditions
Still great conditions up the hill - I am busy with my 'other' job this week but nipped out for a quick lunchtime lift-skin-ski... Great grippy cold snow on the piste, soft and fluffy off the sides, and nice and quiet again after a hectic day on Sunday (in relative terms...).

The big (-ish) news from Courchevel is the picnic room at Verdons/Vizelle has had a facelift and now has new flooring, seating, microwaves etc etc. Only about 20 years overdue...!
snow conditions
Tom_Ski wrote:
A bit late to this thread about passes for 3V, but thought some of you might be interested to know that the Epic Pass from Vail Resorts now offers access to a few European resorts including 3V. Full Epic Pass holders get 7 days at 3V and these resorts:
* Unlimited Days at Andermatt-Sedrun-Disentis, Switzerland
* 7 Consecutive Days at Skirama Dolomiti, Italy and Les 3 Vallées, France
* 5 Consecutive Days at Verbier 4 Vallées, Switzerland
* 3 Consecutive Days at Ski Arlberg, Austria
More info: https://www.epicpass.com/region/europe.aspx

I’ll be using my pass at Heavenly (Lake Tahoe), Park City (UT), and 3V (woohoo!) this season. First time skiing in France - going in mid-January. Looking forward to it.

Remember to let us know how you get on in the 3 Valleys!

We have used our 3Vs season passes on (3) visits to Vail resorts in Colorado, where we get 6 free ski days, and will be doing so again in February next year Very Happy .
snow report
Perty wrote:
@Bergmeister, today was fab, blue skies, fresh snow until…after lunch I fell at speed on a blue run (Fond) and have a fractured the head of my humerus. rolling eyes . At first I thought I had just wrenched shoulder muscles, but after 5 mins, and feeling a tad queasy, I decided it hurt too much to ski. Kindly pisteurs took me off the mountain, and at first the view seemed to be a dislocated shoulder, but the X-ray showed up the fracture. I’m now home strapped up, with my season pretty much bu**ered. Certainly till March, and even after that, I think gentle skiing may well be all that is feasible. So frustrating. It won’t stop me coming to France… but Mr P will be looking for ski mates, plus we’d booked a raft of half day lessons/full days with a local (St M) Scottish instructor, so we were anticipating far more than previously out of this season.

However…it could be a lot worse, I’m still coming to France and the dog will be delighted about having far more walks!

Sorry to hear about your injury. I fractured the top of my humerus on the morning of the last day of a week’s skiing in La Plagne back in March 2019. Once back in the UK it was determined that it would not heal naturally, so had to resort to surgery and have a metal plate to keep the bone together!

Lots of boring physio later and I was fine skiing the next January. It’s still makes strange clunking noises when I move my shoulder but it’s plenty fine enough for a bit of skiing Eh oh!

Wish you a speedy recovery
latest report
Any snow updates
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy