Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 3 Vallées 2023/24 - Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens etc

Poster: A snowHead
Je suis un Skieur wrote:

Turn right over the bridge under the line of Cairn and hold your speed to go past the bottom of the magic carpet that's opposite Peclet. You'll be going "against the flow" for about 30m to the Peclet doors.

This is accurate, but easy to miss the left for carpet opposite Funitel de Peclet. (& therefore end up at Plein Sud)

Would you recommend that - over unclipping and crossing the road and clipping back in as per the signposts ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
UtahGetMeTwo wrote:
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
Turn right over the bridge under the line of Cairn and hold your speed to go past the bottom of the magic carpet that's opposite Peclet. You'll be going "against the flow" for about 30m to the Peclet doors.

This is accurate, but easy to miss the left for carpet opposite Funitel de Peclet. (& therefore end up at Plein Sud)

I think if you can't tell the difference between a 6 man chair and a bloody great funitel building, you've got bigger problems than whether to cross the road or not. Toofy Grin

UtahGetMeTwo wrote:
Would you recommend that - over unclipping and crossing the road and clipping back in as per the signposts ?

I already have recommended it. If you cross the road you've got to punt all the way to VT centre to go round the top of Campagnols (the magic carpet) instead of around the bottom of it which is "my way". You can do it but it sure isn't quicker. Might as well go in on Goitschel and Plein Sud/Corniche in the first place rather than mess around with all that.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski wrote:
Je suis un Skieur wrote:

Aiguille du Fruit to Tovets is quicker (and more fun) via Pralong and Cospillot - start schussing at all the ralentir signs at the end of the tree section on Cospillot to avoid a short punt at the end.

So to get onto Cospillot do I ski past the bottom of Pralong with the lift/snack bar on skiers left and head towards the top of the Cospilot lift?

Yes - the gap between the bridge railing and the drag exit ramp is pretty narrow …and uphill. Just check that the run is open as the last 3rd was pretty marginal 3 weeks ago.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In other news, there is still some reasonable snow around with a short-ish walk (skin)...

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@snowrider, thanks for that
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski wrote:
@ecureuil, next weekend... so anything could and likely will happen between now and then!! ...
Indeed. Next week is forecast to be warm, only just about freezing on the tops and 10C in the valleys. Any precipitation below around 2000-2500m could be rain not snow. Sad
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ecureuil wrote:
kitenski wrote:
@ecureuil, next weekend... so anything could and likely will happen between now and then!! ...
Indeed. Next week is forecast to be warm, only just about freezing on the tops and 10C in the valleys. Any precipitation below around 2000-2500m could be rain not snow. Sad

We are heading to Val Thorens on Sunday, for 2 weeks. Very Happy We have a 3 day (guided) ski tour booked from Wednesday so are hoping for decent off piste conditions. Fingers and toes crossed!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Temps in Meribel looking ok overnight, as per usual for spring, and perhaps a dip the week after. But all too far away, it will change!

https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/14-days/m%c3%a9ribel_france_2994404
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I’ve got to catch a train from Moutiers at 7.30am on a Saturday. How long would a taxi usually take to get from Val Thorens to Moutiers in fine weather?
Thanks in advance.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yesterday the clouds came in middle of the day (as forecast) with some snow flurries above about 2100m...

All felt very mild and humid, but still good cold snow to ski if you go high and north-facing.

@kitenski, I would think slush will be the biggest challenge to cruising round the escapade. (Well that and the lower runs holding out if it stays warm!).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@kitenski If you aren't already enroute, we went up Pas du Lac first, from Meribel-Mottaret, and finished with Mont Vallon and Ours. This ensured that we were back in the Meribel valley by the time that the lifts closed. Good luck!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Mike S, did you do a figure of 8 for the route then ? Can’t figure out the overall route you took?? I’m planning Les menuires,
Val t then over to ski the north facing courchevel area in the afternoon….

@offpisteskiing, Slush is skiable (I guess flat tracks maybe less so), closed runs less so Eh oh!

Fresh waxing to be done this week!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@kitenski The requirements were slightly different when we undertook the Escapade in 2017. Our route was basically the same as the one that you have proposed, except that we started with PDL1 & 2 from Mottaret before going to Chanrossa and went to Legends after going on the rope tow from the top of Golf. You would have to go up Legends first to get to Mottaret, if you were starting in Meribel, and wanted to take our route and take Legends again later to get to Olympic. I am sorry to say that I think that it would be extremely difficult to complete the Escapade, at the moment, as all the lower runs are very wet and slushy and even the higher runs are getting chewed up pretty quickly. The attached shot is of Mottaret centre at 2.30 pm yesterday.

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mike S, thanks, will see what happens! We won’t be that low though later on in the day, doing the north facing courchevel slopes in the afternoon and we are very used to skiing slush
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@kitenski, that picture is at 1750m. You are going to be lower than that at all the low points in the Courchevel valley
snow report
@ecureuil, correct, will see what the weather does, currently looking like a temp drop and snowing so won’t be good conditions for a big loop!!
ski holidays
@sbooker,
Quote:

I’ve got to catch a train from Moutiers at 7.30am on a Saturday. How long would a taxi usually take to get from Val Thorens to Moutiers in fine weather?
Thanks in advance.

We go from Les Menuires regularly by taxi and allow one hour to comfortably get to the train station. On a normal day the journey will take 40 to 45 minutes, long enough to get a coffee and a sandwich. So for you I suggest your taxi should leave VT at 06.15am.
snow report
What would you all suggest as the best places to attempt carving in the 3valleys, especially given the current conditions? I have previously thought it is Lory, but I'm interested if there are others to consider
ski holidays
Heading back now from a fantastic week. We've been the same week - whichever the first week after all the half terms finish, for about 7 years now. The snow line is really high and I have never seen so much brown. That said, the pistes have been superb really. Very much spring conditions but we were going down to La Praz, La Tania and St Martin around lunchtime and they were holding up well. Went down into Meribel Village on the last run of the day a couple of times and it was soft but okay.

Full on rain in resort on Friday afternoon but that meant lots of snow higher up. Still loads of fresh snow in 1850 on the pistes at 10.30. Courchevel probably had the best skiing of the week, but early Meribel runs were very good too. We are very much piste skiers but it was noticeable that barely anyone was venturing off piste until the Saturday. We only got to VT on Friday. V busy and hard packed. The light went at lunch so we headed back, but the Folie served up the best dauphinois I've ever had so that made up for the trip back.

Overall I don't think I've seen the pistes holding up as well for the time of year. We were lucky to have a couple of evenings of snow to top things up. From talking to the drivers and chalet staff it's been a tough season with all the snow early. If the weather stays as it is I think things will start to deteriorate pretty quickly, but last year they had mad dump towards the end of March so who knows.

One new recommendation from us is Lilie in Meribel opposite the Rond Point. Been open three years I think and not on our radar before but superb food at reasonable prices. Well worth a visit. Was also our first trips to LDV, which is obviously no secret, which was throughly enjoyable. If you can get to see Wingmen anywhere do so, they are great.
ski holidays
{Double post, sorry}

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 18-03-24 11:02; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Thew2002, any wide not-to-steep blue or steeper green. Meribel altiport area. Sitelle above Mottaret. Blues from Funitel de Peclet or Moraine bubble in VT. Main run into Courchevel 1850 (below the mid-station). Etc
snow conditions
@Thew2002, where are you staying?
snow report
Heading to VT on Saturday. Bergfex predicting a drop in temps early next week and a bit of snow over the coming weekend.
ski holidays
@andy1234, thanks!
ski holidays
Just looking at liftpasses, 3 day pass is 225 euros, but if I buy a Friday pass for 7 5euros and the discounted weekedn pass it's 210 euros.

Does anyone know if I can buy one day and then a weekend now and load them both onto the card now? Or do I need to buy the weekend one after skiing Friday??
snow conditions
Hi all
I have the option of staying at Ours Blanc (Reberty/Les Manuires) or Hotel Le Mottaret (Meribel Mottaret) in early Jan 2025
Family of novices who are unlikely to do a lot of expansive touring around the various 3V (more likely to stay on easy/intermediate runs near wherever the accomodation is), and also not looking for night life etc

Are either of these locations/hotels significantly better for our needs ? I get the impression that Reberty/LM might have better snow as higher ? But the rooms seem nicer at MM...
snow report
grrr wrote:
Hi all
I have the option of staying at Ours Blanc (Reberty/Les Manuires) or Hotel Le Mottaret (Meribel Mottaret) in early Jan 2025
Family of novices who are unlikely to do a lot of expansive touring around the various 3V (more likely to stay on easy/intermediate runs near wherever the accomodation is), and also not looking for night life etc

Are either of these locations/hotels significantly better for our needs ? I get the impression that Reberty/LM might have better snow as higher ? But the rooms seem nicer at MM...

I would thoroughly recommend Le Mottaret - we have been staying there over February HT for the last 5 years. I'd recommend their all-inclusive option - really good value. The bar area is cosy, the waiting staff are very friendly and it has a small pool / sauna on the ground floor. No need to leave the hotel as you return from a day on the slopes. There are 3 key lifts fanning out of Mottaret - and you can easily ski staright down to Meribel on the green Truite run.

You can also walk to the lovely Lac Tueda if you fancied a break from skiing.

Reberty is a much better option later in the season.
ski holidays
@franga thank you !

Quote:

Why Reberty later in the season - less snow in MM then ?

What's the deal with Le Mottaret's free donuts/hot drinks ?? Is it actually a decent snack bar, or a couple of mouldy donuts on a plate ? Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@grrr, in early Jan my preference would be La Tania (better when the weather closes in, good local pistes for you) but if a choice between MM and Les Men there is nothing in it for me - both are good options.

Early season it's just a case of going low or high depending on weather and conditions. But as beginners you don't have to sweat it to much. There will always be plenty to do in the 3V.
snow report
grrr wrote:
@franga thank you !

Quote:

Why Reberty later in the season - less snow in MM then ?

What's the deal with Le Mottaret's free donuts/hot drinks ?? Is it actually a decent snack bar, or a couple of mouldy donuts on a plate ? Laughing

It's not really about the snow ... Reberty will be bleak in a storm whereas you can access Meribel / Meribel Altiport / La Tania etc for tree cover and better light from Mottaret.
Don't get excited about the free doughnuts - they're just standard fare served on a tray (kids love them though). That's it for food in the afternoon.
snow conditions
Thanks @Layne and @franga

Any suggestions for good private instructors at MM or Reberty/Les Men ?
latest report
@grrr, https://www.skimarmalade.com/ used these guys a few times, always been good and friendly and very understanding when a pencilled in lesson couldn't happen due to boot fitting issues!
snow report
Looks like Ours is shut, anyone know if that's it for the season or just today? Kinda key for my Escapade Wink Verdet been shut past 2 days so assume that's gone for the season now as well!
latest report
@kitenski, I think you need to go for the "last Escapade of the season" badge of honour!

Avoid Verdet with Cherferie/Jerusalem and avoid Ours with Plan des Mains/Sitelle. Still more than possible. Madeye-Smiley

The one that will totally do you is if Bettex Bas is shut so keep an eye on that/scope it out first. The chair's at 1,550m so you'll probably be alright but... It's very early in your route if you're starting with Legends though, so you could just wing it.
snow conditions
@Je suis un Skieur, yeah I'm going to give it a go, worst case I ski some kms and have a nice day out ! Bettex I hit around 10am and it's open now Smile

I'm aiming for the 9am Legends lift on Friday, assume I can't traverse across from the top of Olympic to Jerusalem and have to go down to Cherferie?
latest report
kitenski wrote:
assume I can't traverse across from the top of Olympic to Jerusalem and have to go down to Cherferie?

Not if you want to stay on piste. You can ski straight off the top of Olympic to St Martin but unless you go far enough left, you'll hit Nant Benoit and have to walk up the road to St M. I'm guessing you can probably traverse off piste from roughly where Verdet is to Jerusalem but I never have. Pretty sure I couldn't be bothered with either of them in the middle of big day out.
snow report
kitenski wrote:
@Je suis un Skieur, yeah I'm going to give it a go, worst case I ski some kms and have a nice day out ! Bettex I hit around 10am and it's open now Smile

I'm aiming for the 9am Legends lift on Friday, assume I can't traverse across from the top of Olympic to Jerusalem and have to go down to Cherferie?

Any kind of off piste traverse to Jerusalem would start from the col at the start of Verdet so you can have a look and make a call there, but honestly Cherferie only takes 4 minutes so really not worth worrying about.

Mures Rouges piste closed as well as Ours so definitely Campagnol to Plans des Mains from Vallon.
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:

Cherferie is literally a 1 minute ski from the top of Legends - from memory, there's no way you can get to Jerusalem from the top of Verdet.
latest report
kitenski wrote:

Post updates from lifts - good luck!
latest report
Anyone know what has happened to bouquetin chair?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy