Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 3 Vallées 2023/24 - Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens etc

Poster: A snowHead
Then I imagine @kitenski will get extra credit for the use of a bus Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Val Thorens comes up trumps again.
https://meteofrance.com/meteo-montagne/val-thorens/732573
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snow&skifan wrote:
Val Thorens comes up trumps again.

By 'trumps' do you mean 'cold & windy'? Happy Happy

Hats off to kitenski for a strong effort on the grand tour considering how warm and slushy it was - far from ideal conditions for racking up mileage...
Super warm yesterday (as forecast) - today is pretty grey so far, but sadly the snowfall forecast seems to have diminished as the weather approaches. Hopefully we get something, as a top-up would be happily received!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
@kitenski, oooohhhh....epic fail! So close! Sorry IMV but you have to get on the lift - you're supposed to finish at the same place you started to complete the circuit

Sorry but fortunately your are wrong Smile Toffa has said it’s fine, as pointed above it’s checkpoints to ski to not a specific loop.

Rain showers this morning at 1450

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 23-03-24 9:18; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@kitenski, Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@ChloeAmelia, Folyeres was in surprisingly good condition given the temps yesterday at 1630! Snow runs out at the bridge in La Tania so need to walk (or run if on a tight schedule) to the gondola.

Snowing top of pas du lac 1
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@kitenski, yay! Welcome to the club.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well done kitenski, glad you made it. We are looking at the weather forecasts to possibly try it ourselves in the next couple of weeks.

My previous comment about closed lifts was from the days when you had cards. We got to col to find it closed with its cover over the gate. The gate was still working so we could hold our cards near and it clicked as if we had gone through. What completely stopped that attempt was in Couchevel 1550, I think, when we got to the bottom lift, it was closed and not even connected so we couldn't get our cards 'certified'.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@mogulski, cheers fingers crossed they don’t close any more lower runs and you can give it a crack. I’d like try it again without the slush Eh oh!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@kitenski and @mogulski I arrive in VT this Saturday. Have gone from not knowing about the Escapade to wanting to do it. However, it doesn’t appear to be on the 3V app … am I being a numpty and missing something ?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Blackblade, it is no longer supported / promoted by the lift companies or tourist offices. So not surprising it isn't on the app. You need to check out the latania.co.uk site for the latest "rules".
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ecureuil wrote:
@Blackblade, it is no longer supported / promoted by the lift companies or tourist offices. So not surprising it isn't on the app. You need to check out the latania.co.uk site for the latest "rules".

Thanks for the info. Will do.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Managed to be at the top of Jean blanc black just as the snow stopped and the sun came out! Going to be a great afternoon
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://youtube.com/shorts/WHFUJD9eCtc

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 25-03-24 10:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski wrote:
https://youtube.com/shorts/WHFUJD9eCtc?si=X-U0wo1f1VSEpCoA

Looks fantastic ! Where is this ?
snow report
@Blackblade, Jean-Blanc black run
ski holidays
@kitenski, gorgeous. I love that run.
latest report
whilst I'm on, anyone know why the bottom 2/3 of Eclipse seems always shut? Was shut in Jan and again this weekend!
snow report
@kitenski, congrats on completing the Escapade - amazing effort.
snow report
kitenski wrote:
whilst I'm on, anyone know why the bottom 2/3 of Eclipse seems always shut? Was shut in Jan and again this weekend!

It was also shut over February HT. It can't have been because of poor snow cover because both Jean Blanc and Amoureux were open ...
snow conditions
Hi all. will be staying at Courchevel Moriond from the 6th April for a week (chalet Benjamin). Has anyone stayed there and if so what were your thoughts? Will there be a run still open down to that level (in normal spiring conditions)? I can see that there is snow forecast over the coming week, but seems to be getting a little warm thereafter. I have skied to 1850 before but not stayed in that valley or been any lower down than that. Thanks.
ski holidays
@HDJ, Moriond was getting pretty slushy on Friday but the run looked to have reasonable depth, given this winters ongoing warmth what it will be like/open on 6th April is anyone's guess! I suspect the lift co will try their hardest to keep a home run open. Worst case I guess you just download on Ariondaz, snow up high was good.

Last post on the escapade to share a few stats for others considering it! Suspect if everything was open this would be 2 or 3 less lifts and runs (and I missed the right turn to Chaplets so had an extra lift on Signal!).

ski holidays
@kitenski, looks about right for the vertical but the distance must be including the up as well as the down. I guess your extra runs cancel out the missed Golf and ski back to Meribel. Most people are posting around 14,300m vertical, 30 lifts and 85km ski distance off SkiTracks for the 2023-24 version. Some others on Strava seem to be around 13,700m vertical but I saw one at around 13,200m. People using Garmin seem to record more vertical than SkiTracks, Strava less.

All a lot easier than previous years - lift upgrades alone have cut more than half an hour off the up time as well as less vertical. My last one in 2016 (off SkiTracks) was 16,355m vertical, 35 much slower lifts and 100km ski distance. You used to get about a dozen people a year managing it in a day; last year it was 37 and I think you're number 45 for this year!
snow report
@Je suis un Skieur, the 89.7km distance excludes the up, Stravas 142km includes the up, which seems to be their default position. Any idea what the fastest overall completion time is? I think with winter conditions the ski time would reduce hugely compared to slush (without skiing dangerously) and doing it on a quiet Saturday and ski straight onto every lift would also cut the lift time down a fair bit.
latest report
@kitenski, Eight & a quarter hours - fairplay, that's a BIG day.
i've read about the Escapade for a few years on the la tania site.
often wondered about an attempt. Really great to see your live build up, execution, and stats. thanks for sharing.
snow conditions
@kitenski, also - I always read your username as "kittenski = kitten ski" - assumed you were a lady.
realise now it's Kite N Ski
lolz.

don't know if you care, but your real name is on your strava screenshot. as the young people would say - "you've doxxed yourself"
snow report
@UtahGetMeTwo, yeah don’t care about my real name showing in a screen shot hence why I posted it

And yes I used to kite surf many years ago when I created the profile name
snow report
kitenski wrote:
@Je suis un Skieur, the 89.7km distance excludes the up, Stravas 142km includes the up, which seems to be their default position. Any idea what the fastest overall completion time is? I think with winter conditions the ski time would reduce hugely compared to slush (without skiing dangerously) and doing it on a quiet Saturday and ski straight onto every lift would also cut the lift time down a fair bit.

Ah yes, I missed the 89.7km. Looks right if you had to go to Signal and Cherferie and take Sittelle/Martre instead of Ours. More than enough extra credit to compensate for finishing in Village! snowHead

The vast majority of people seem to be in the 7:30 to 8:00 hrs time taken. No offence to them but they would not have made it round in earlier years which shows why the numbers have increased. It's also noticeable just how many are doing it in January before the extra half hour lift opening for spring. That really highlights how much time is saved by the lift upgrades. Masse, Orelle-Caron, Pionniers, Ariondaz, St M Express 2, Mont Vallon, Portette all replaced or upgraded in recent years and dog slow lifts like Col, Mures Rouges, Montaulever, Moraine (pre-cabin) and Roc de Tougne (when it was still a tow) removed or no longer on the list.

Quickest on the current route seems to be around 6:45. I think the new challenge might be to do it pre-Xmas if (a big if) all necessary lifts are open. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ooook this is now on my to do list... Eh oh!
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
@UtahGetMeTwoAnd yes I used to kite surf many years ago when I created the profile name

This made me laugh as I, too, had initially assumed you to be a kitten Happy.

I should be more cautious since my handle also derives from my initial profile name on a motorcycling board many years ago. Black Blade was simply a description of my motorbike which was a Black Honda Fireblade. I still ride motorbikes but now have a Red Ducati Panigale … so I think I’ll stick with Blackblade.
ski holidays
VT obscured by cloud this am. Time for an extra cuppa and a lie down.
ski holidays
@halfhand, head lower ??
snow report
anyone know the story behind the dragons? How long have they been there, how many are there? I spotted this one and some other wooden ones on the Meribel side...

snow report
Hi everyone!
I am new here Wink

Can someone update on the snow conditions at Courchevel / Meribel side? Websites show light snow.... and that makes me hope that snow conditions may have been improved (vs last week that some friends told me about slurry/frozen snow )

I was planning to travel tomorrow for a 4 days trip, but looking at last weeks condition I was concerned and thought I should change destination for somewhere higher (like Val Thorens or Avoriaz).

Any thoughts/advice would be very much appreciated!
ski holidays
Just a quick, slightly cheeky, though for @kitenski. Don't suppose you would be happy to share the gpx or other Garmin compatible track of the route would you ? I'm planning to do it with my daughter when I'm there next week.
ski holidays
@Blackblade, yeah sure but unless you start from where I did it may not help & I made a few mistakes?

Some really good info here https://www.latania.co.uk/skiing/escapade2023.htm and then I used this Excel screenshot/graphic here to plan my route

https://www.latania.co.uk/blog/2024/01/31/escapade-2024-an-8-year-old-completes-the-challenge/
snow report
vasilikio wrote:
Hi everyone!
I am new here Wink

Can someone update on the snow conditions at Courchevel / Meribel side? Websites show light snow.... and that makes me hope that snow conditions may have been improved (vs last week that some friends told me about slurry/frozen snow )

I was planning to travel tomorrow for a 4 days trip, but looking at last weeks condition I was concerned and thought I should change destination for somewhere higher (like Val Thorens or Avoriaz).

Also interested in this. Arriving on Saturday - is off piste viable at the moment?
snow report
@kitenski,
The dragons have been there since 2017. The area was marked as Dragon de l'altai on the piste map for a few years but is no longer marketed.
Some info here:
https://www.skipass-meribel.com/en/dragon-hunter
snow conditions
vasilikio wrote:
Hi everyone!
I am new here Wink

The temperatures are much lower than last week so snow conditions are improved in Meribel and Courchevel.
Strong to very strong winds forecast for the next 4 days so I would advise against Val Thorens as many of the lifts are likely to be shut.
ski holidays
vasilikio wrote:
Hi everyone!
I am new here Wink

One thing I would add: if you haven't been to the 3V before, it's quite different from a lot of the other "connected resorts" in that it is REALLY well connected, from the summits. By that I mean, it's more like one giant resort rather than several, hard to reach places. If you are in Meribel, you are literally one lift ride from the top of Courchevel. Etc. And that's why I love this area: there's always a solution, whatever the conditions.
- Want altitude? Val Thorens is a lift or two away
- No visibility? Meribel or Courchevel's tree runs
etc

So if you've already booked Meribel, I would not be too concerned about changing now for VT (and by the way, Meribel has a lot of terrain above 2000m too). But do plan to get the 3V ski pass, not the single resort one (the price difference is not big).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy