Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites Weather/Snow Report (& useful links) 2023/24

Poster: A snowHead
Compolongo can be a bit of a bottle neck mid morning. Lots heading for Marmolada as well as the Sella Ronda
The lift to get you to the top of the Passo Pordoi on the green circuit on the other side can be the same.
Should be fine on a Saturday though
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lovely grippy snow on Seiseralm and Piz Sella today and light was better than expected.
Anyone coming out next week should have a ball!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Today was very decent indeed. Visibility was much better than I'd expected. Empty pistes and lifts.

upload pic url

latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arrived in Corvara around 5pm yesterday from Innsbruck. Rain started in Italy and got increasingly heavy, finally turning to sleety snow as we got into the Badia valley. Cars coming towards us from Corvara direction seemed to have a decent amount on them but it was very heavy and wet.

Snow continued until early evening and at the very least has provided some lovely window dressing for my partner's first visit to the Dolomites. Think we've got very lucky with the weather as it looks like a mostly clear week ahead.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@richb67, sorry to hijack this thread with a 'what's better' question but I know you have been to MdC this year and Alta Badia and I wondered which was better. We've just booked to go to Selva again next March but are now looking to book for January. Don't want to over do Selva and what's left to book in Arabba/Corvara is pricy so thinking about MdC as an alternative.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
melbouch wrote:
@richb67, sorry to hijack this thread with a 'what's better' question but I know you have been to MdC this year and Alta Badia and I wondered which was better. We've just booked to go to Selva again next March but are now looking to book for January. Don't want to over do Selva and what's left to book in Arabba/Corvara is pricy so thinking about MdC as an alternative.

I wrote something for sean67 a little while ago.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=166012&start=680#5252762

It really depends on your ability and what you’re looking for, if it’s miles and miles of different pistes then you can’t compare the two but we think MdC is a nicer resort town with good self contained ski area. Lots of pistes through the trees and good scenery. We’ll probably go for a few days next January on our way to Corvara.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@richb67, thanks for that. I think that has me decided at least. We’re halfway decent intermediates so can get down most runs without mishap. Whist we like travelling, we found the SR off shoots nicer and less busy so we are happy to go down the same runs several times if they are nice. Madonna it is then!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How’s piste skiing been recently? Heading to Corvara on Saturday! Weather looking much better next week. Bit warm, but at least the rain has dropped off the forecast, and there’s more sun and less cloud now.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Orwell pretty much as good as you could ask for given it's mid march. Skied from Corvara round to Canazei and back today and the snow is fantastic up high, Arabba and Belvedere especially. Heavier and slushy on the resort runs but that's to be expected.

Absolute carnage on the last section of red 1 Boe back into town at 3.30pm but not surprising given the Sellaronda traffic that it must get.

Definitely feels like spring walking back through town. You should have a cracking week.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SR clockwise for me today with a detour out and back to Pozza di Fassa.

Good overnight freeze so pistes are excellent in the morning but the afternoons are warm.

Downride of the bubble into Selva for me as the legs were tired.

Staying at the Kolfuschgerhof (Colfosco) and it's on these sunny warm spring days when you appreciate a nice hotel with plenty to do in the afternoon - swim, gym spa etc - as conditions from 2.30 ish onwards aren't great
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gazatron wrote:
@Orwell pretty much as good as you could ask for given it's mid march. Skied from Corvara round to Canazei and back today and the snow is fantastic up high, Arabba and Belvedere especially. Heavier and slushy on the resort runs but that's to be expected.

Absolute carnage on the last section of red 1 Boe back into town at 3.30pm but not surprising given the Sellaronda traffic that it must get.

Definitely feels like spring walking back through town. You should have a cracking week.

A fortnight ago I skied the Corvara piste 1 in completing the Sellaronda, it was bloody awful. Huge heaps and valleys of slush and underlying rock hard old ‘snow’, 1,000’s nervous skiers out of their depth.

So I skied it first thing the next day, heaven.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Stayed in Badia again from 2-9 March. This time taking a group of 26, 19 of them from the same Oxfordshire village! So so lucky with the weather, including a lovely snow dump on the Wednesday evening and the sun came out on Thursday for a glorious bluebird day. Our newbies to the Dollies loved it. Scenery, food, pistes, hotel did not disappoint. My happy place.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
These reports are great reading. I get in on Saturday to Canazei for a week with my family. If anyone is on their tobler and wants to ski a day give me a shout. I’ll be dropping my family to ski school each morning then off to explore.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Approaching Week 17.
1200kms of runs and 410 lifts open which is almost the entire system.
Another 4 weeks to go

https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/Live-info/Open-slopes

Conditions look good up at the top. Despite the warm weather there looks to be plenty of snow remaining.

https://www.bergfex.com/alta-badia/webcams/c13333/

The outlook looks settled over the next week. Good Dolomite conditions. Cool
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I find it a little ...strange...that Selva is the main town on the SR but has the worst links on it. Obviously it's mostly due to geography and inconveniences such as buildings, but there is a clear line of sight from the top of that tiny 3 man chair to the top of the Costabella lift (I looked). Easy to put a short gondola in there to help with the clockwise Ronda...No doubt this has been thought about

Little room at the top of Costabella as there's a chair lift there, but you get my drift

At the very least they could put an escalator to replace the steps up to Costabella.

I stay in Selva so end up doing this horrid little bit at the end of the day, which isn't nice...

Anticlockwise a little more difficult to "fix"!

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 14-03-24 11:42; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@Peter S, was there last week. There was more snow than there was in the same week last week. No problem at all with cover anywhere, just spring conditions... and it's spring. Ski early, stop at 3pm, get a gondola down if necessary. Simple.

Could be a lot worse - the low Austrian resorts for example
ski holidays
Get out the all mountain skis and go surfing

I quite enjoy spring skiing but sometimes the runs back to resort are a bit farcical

Out in San Pellegrino with the kids in a weeks time, should be fine as most skiing above 1800m but a lot of South facing slopes, so I expect to be surfing from 11.00AM unless there's a change in the weather. Was same in Passo Tonale in early Feb so you're never guaranteed with an advance booking!
latest report
Great conditions around Colfosco for most of the day today. Blue skies and pistes holding well, specially up high, until 2-3 pm at least. After that it became soft and chopped up but honestly not as bad as I would expect considering temperatures were fairly high for the whole day. The runs down to the village were not great at the end of the day, but they never are to be honest.

There’s quite a lot of snow for this time of the year, definitely more than the same time last year, so the scenery was just espetacular.
snow conditions
@maquibr, Yes I was the same today.

Just spent the morning on the Colfosco runs then a long late lunch then a spa and gym afternoon.

Some people at the hotel were sunbathing Cool
snow conditions
Looks good again today at Kronplatz. Everything opening right down to 935m and sunny skiing by the look of it.

https://www.bergfex.com/kronplatz/webcams/c14486/
snow conditions
Kronplatz is pretty well fully open. The two exceptions we found today have been Sorega (the new piste which is a variant of Erta, and the one below Plateau base station down to Lorenzi Hütte which looked like it was in use for race training). Skiing is excellent up until lunchtime but heavy and cut up in the afternoon.
Piste bashers are out now getting ready for another good day tomorrow
ski holidays
I wonder if anybody can help me read the piste map. I am trying to work out how to ski piste numbers 9a and 11, then get back to Corvara afterwards. I assume I take gondola 11/Piz Sorega but then what? The piste map could do with some directional arrows. Thanks.
snow report
Up Gondola to Piz Sorega. Down 28. Up lift 7 to La Brancia. Down 5/4 to Corvara. I think…
ski holidays
Oh, so 28 does actually come off Piz Sorega? Excellent. The map makes it look like only 11 and 12 comes off the gondola, whereas 28 comes off the lift and drag. Any idea on a way to Corvara using only blues? Thank you.
snow report
You could do our usual route home from top of Piz Sorega. Down 28 into Bioch bowl. Take lift 7 up La Brancia. Start down 14 but take an early left down 15. Take Bamby lift to Piz la Ila Gondola. Take that down into La Villa and get bus back to Corvara from there. Unless you move onto blue 5 from red 5 then go down blue 29.
ski holidays
Orwell wrote:
Oh, so 28 does actually come off Piz Sorega? Excellent. The map makes it look like only 11 and 12 comes off the gondola, whereas 28 comes off the lift and drag. Any idea on a way to Corvara using only blues? Thank you.

The signposting is pretty good from the top of the Piz Sorega, in fact much better/easier to follow than the piste maps. The Pralongia Plateaux is worth spending some time investigating for routes to Corvara, Arabba and Armentarola ( for the hidden valley/cinque Torri ) as there are multiple routes that can be enjoyed to get onto the main Sellaronda circuit.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 19-03-24 7:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Conditions started off overcast today (Belvedere area, but probably all the Sella) and warmer than I would like, however the skiing until 12 was excellent when the weather closed in with light snow and variable visibility, I soldiered on until 3, forecast tomorrow is looking sunny but warm again.
snow conditions
@Oblos, fantastic, that’s exactly what I was after. Thank you. I don’t think I’ll be able to convince my wife to try red 5 even if it’s short. I assume it’s justifiably a red given it then splits into a red and blue.

@CP, good to know, thank you. This is our first time skiing in Italy, thoroughly enjoying it so far, despite the warm weather and severely cut up pistes lower down. Also, the prices! We’ll definitely come back.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I find openskimap very handy (but not on the slopes !) it has little arrows showing direction of piste

https://openskimap.org/#13.39/46.54931/11.89415
snow report
I'm considering a trip this weekend, any particular area can be considered quite safe bet? If i get tickets I would fly to Venice and would prefer anything but Kronplatz (want a change:)).
latest report
Arabba is the highest and with some north facing slopes (for the Sella Ronda)
snow conditions
albob wrote:
Arabba is the highest and with some north facing slopes (for the Sella Ronda)

What about Corvara? I'm not sure my son will handle Arabba's slopes.
Edit: never mind, going flying to Geneva.
latest report
@Orwell Have you tried using the routing facility on the My Dolomiti app? Shows the linkage of runs very well when you zoom in on them.
snow report
Should be colder this weekend also
ski holidays
@albob, how have I not come across openskimap before?! Excellent site. Thanks for the link!

@Oblos, I haven’t, but I shall. Thank you.
snow report
Day, four here for me, and here’s an observation about various weather forecasts. The Alta Badia and Dolomiti forecast have been useless. Bergfex has been accurate, including predicting the rain and the hour it fell. Sure, small sample size. It’s gonna be a hard and fast start to the morning, it’s colder today.
snow report
Dolomiti experts, if you buy a resort pass is it possible to "upgrade" to the superski for a day or are you stuck with it?

I think I will have enough in the resort given I'm with kids
snow conditions
If you buy a local area pass, you can't upgrade to superski. Was told that by the ski office
latest report
can anyone recommend a private transfer company from any of the nearby airports into Arabba ? (for 2025 ?) - for five of us.
snow conditions
Orwell wrote:
@Oblos, fantastic, that’s exactly what I was after. Thank you. I don’t think I’ll be able to convince my wife to try red 5 even if it’s short. I assume it’s justifiably a red given it then splits into a red and blue.

@CP, good to know, thank you. This is our first time skiing in Italy, thoroughly enjoying it so far, despite the warm weather and severely cut up pistes lower down. Also, the prices! We’ll definitely come back.

The prices are excellent, went to 3 Vallees in Jan and spent a small fortune. Found everything in the dolomites to be almost half the price one of the reasons I've booked the dolomites for both trips next year.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy