Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites Weather/Snow Report (& useful links) 2023/24

Poster: A snowHead
Don’t know how much a Bombardino will be Laughing but It looks to have turned a little colder and they are now getting snow down on the lower slopes at 1200m.

https://www.bergfex.com/kronplatz/webcams/c9841/

Seven days to go until opening which looks likely to go ahead on Saturday. The weather forecast is looking dry, sunny and cool, good for making snow and then skiing.

Up the road in the Alta Badia they seem to be making progress preparing the main pistes. They aim to open on the same day as the Sella Ronda circuit on the 5th of December.

Piste depth is a reported 25cm at 2200m and 10cms at 1500m

https://www.bergfex.com/alta-badia/webcams/c14196/
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
shiva_71 wrote:
Very important question - how much will a bombardino cost this year? Puzzled

Anywhere between 5 and 6 euros ??
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Adrii wrote:
What's everyone's thoughts on the Sella Ronda circuits?? Stayed last year in La Villa (first time in Dolomites) and I admit Dolomite's fame to be one of the most visually spectacular place to ski is completely true. On the other hand, I personally found doing the circuit quite stagnant with the number of gondolas one has to use. It doesn't help that I skied alone whilst my brother was doing his ski lessons in Corvara & Colfosco. And it also felt quite rushed trying to make my way back to my base resort before the lifts close.

This year I am staying in Selva and was thinking of just getting the Val Gardena ski pass rather than the whole Dolomiti ski pass; is the Val Gardena ski area large enough for 6 days?? I especially want to try out all of the Legendary 8 ski runs.

The Sella Ronda circuit is something that has to be ticked off
After that it is a means of getting to the different ski areas
Personally I would still go for the full area pass
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Personally I think its one of the best days out on skis, though maybe I did it off season as I don't remember any queueing or any real crowds.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Adrii wrote:
What's everyone's thoughts on the Sella Ronda circuits?? Stayed last year in La Villa (first time in Dolomites) and I admit Dolomite's fame to be one of the most visually spectacular place to ski is completely true. On the other hand, I personally found doing the circuit quite stagnant with the number of gondolas one has to use. It doesn't help that I skied alone whilst my brother was doing his ski lessons in Corvara & Colfosco. And it also felt quite rushed trying to make my way back to my base resort before the lifts close.

This year I am staying in Selva and was thinking of just getting the Val Gardena ski pass rather than the whole Dolomiti ski pass; is the Val Gardena ski area large enough for 6 days?? I especially want to try out all of the Legendary 8 ski runs.

Yeah, the SR itself, i know one direction is better than the other but I never remember which! You kinda use the SR as a springboard for other areas, Val di Fassa is great, Cinque Torre is cool, Marmolada is great for the views, the pistes above Arraba are fab for half a day etc...lots to explore beyond just going round the SR!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
albob wrote:
shiva_71 wrote:

Anywhere between 5 and 6 euros ??

Hmm i was last there year before last and im sure i paid €6 then so my guess is €7/8...gotta be done though!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@shiva_71, Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sheffskibod wrote:
I know this is mostly a weather related thread but the posts about the smaller ski areas (still under the Dolomiti Superski pass) makes me want to ask which areas might be worth visiting when we stay in St Vigilio mid Jan ?

We plan to ski Kronplatz for maybe 3 days , drive to La Villa (or Badia) at least once to do a big sella ronda + diversions day (maybe 2).

Gitschberg-Jochtal looks close and probably worth a day ?
Or should we also do Brixen-Plose on the same day ?

3 Zinnen ?

Or somewhere else?

If you haven't been before...Cortina?? snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
luigi wrote:
sheffskibod wrote:
I know this is mostly a weather related thread but the posts about the smaller ski areas (still under the Dolomiti Superski pass) makes me want to ask which areas might be worth visiting when we stay in St Vigilio mid Jan ?

We plan to ski Kronplatz for maybe 3 days , drive to La Villa (or Badia) at least once to do a big sella ronda + diversions day (maybe 2).

Gitschberg-Jochtal looks close and probably worth a day ?
Or should we also do Brixen-Plose on the same day ?

3 Zinnen ?

Or somewhere else?

If you haven't been before...Cortina?? snowHead

Have done Tofana side before (via an organised coach excursion from selva with Crystal back in 2018 which also took in the hidden valley on way home) but feels like a bit far to drive to repeat it - google maps says 75km.
We skied most of the area in the 4 hours we had.

It could be a potential day trip parking at La Villa though (a much nearer 23 km drive from st Vigilio) now the new connecting lift to cortina is in place from cinque torri.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
shiva_71 wrote:

Don't know, don't care, I'll be having several regardless of the price. Eh oh! Eh oh!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 18-11-23 19:54; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just discovered a new Webcam at Campolongo !!

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/veneto/belluno/passo-campolongo.html

Check out those Mounds !!

snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Skiing down to 1500m already today in Madonna DC.

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/trentino-alto-adige/trento/madonna-di-campiglio.html
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Peter S wrote:
Don’t know how much a Bombardino will be Laughing but It looks to have turned a little colder and they are now getting snow down on the lower slopes at 1200m.

https://www.bergfex.com/kronplatz/webcams/c9841/

Seven days to go until opening which looks likely to go ahead on Saturday. The weather forecast is looking dry, sunny and cool, good for making snow and then skiing.

Up the road in the Alta Badia they seem to be making progress preparing the main pistes. They aim to open on the same day as the Sella Ronda circuit on the 5th of December.

Piste depth is a reported 25cm at 2200m and 10cms at 1500m

https://www.bergfex.com/alta-badia/webcams/c14196/

Good to see it all looking so white! snowHead

I like the Bergfex webcam pages, you can go back in time and see the daytime images after dark and the previous week's archive too Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ski pass up to €80 a day now, big jump, suspect it'll make a lot of pockets hurt
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes, the Superdolomiti ski pass is €80 a day during the peak season, but 6 days is only €428 so €71 a day and if you book two days in advance you save another 5% making it €407, less than €68 a day.

Mind you, last years equivalent 6 day pass was €373 so it looks like prices are up about 15% on last year.
latest report
@olderscot, "only" €68/day for a 6-day pass Shocked

It wasn't too long ago when I thought anything above about €35 was expensive!

I suspect snowmaking costs are the reason why lift passes in the eastern Alps have shot up so much compared to further west.
snow report
The pass price has increased steadiily, to the level of 3V, Arlberg etc. I think the Dolomites were significantly underpriced though. My 11 day pass in 2013 was around 450yoyo which was great value. My accomodation was 35 per night for a brillant studio at the bottom of the Sasslong.

There's a general trend of increasing costs particularly in Val Gardena. Each year some of the older hotels are renovated and the prices triple. I still think it is the best place to ski for many reasons. The food, the consistency of the snow making, the ever improving lift system, the piste maintenance are all great but the biggest benefit is the number of skiable days. In 80 days skiing the Dollies, I think I've lost 8 to wind, vis, heavy snow etc. The SPC, the ski probability coefficient sits at 90% for the region. Other places I go or used to go, 3V, Arlberg, etc the SPC has been far lower, 50-70%. With that in mind, you can normalise the cost per day actually skied to a very low figure for the dolomites versus other areas.

Season pass for the Superski is 925E this year v 1550E for 3V. So if you're fortunate enough to be able to do 2 or 3 trips, it's great value. I'll keep telling myself I'm actually saving a fortune!

snow conditions
@sean1967, where is that eatery?
latest report
I am available for bombardinio price inflation research this season. Have applied for EU funding waiting to hear back.
snow report
Owls101 wrote:
The owl tree is a good landmark. Looks like Punta Trieste at the top of the Pralongia 1 chair.
latest report
That's what I love about snowHead - access to a knowledge base that can identify an eatery from a picture of a tree Very Happy
latest report
@CP, @snowheid, yes, excellent work!
I could just about make out 21b from piste marker so narrowed down the area but wasn't sure of the exact restaurant. Can't wait to get over there in January!
snow conditions
CP wrote:
Owls101 wrote:
The owl tree is a good landmark. Looks like Punta Trieste at the top of the Pralongia 1 chair.

Shhhhh! It's busy enough as it is! wink
latest report
sean1967 wrote:
CP wrote:
Owls101 wrote:

Shhhhh! It's busy enough as it is! wink

I wouldn't worry it usually takes us a couple of attempts to get on the correct run to get there.
That may just my navigational skills though Puzzled
ski holidays
I'm going 13-18 January so hopefully a quieter time. Would we still need to book for lunchtimes in general? If so, how is that usually done and how far in advance? I see a few places have online bookings but that doesn't seem to be the rule. Cheers
ski holidays
Owls101 wrote:
I'm going 13-18 January so hopefully a quieter time. Would we still need to book for lunchtimes in general? If so, how is that usually done and how far in advance? I see a few places have online bookings but that doesn't seem to be the rule. Cheers

I have been on or around the Sella Ronda many variable times and think I only ever booked at Rifugio Friedrich August above Campitello and inside at Bioch because the weather was not looking great. Otherwise we just turn up and enjoy snowHead
snow report
Owls101 wrote:

I've never booked ahead in January but that's been as 2 or me James Bonding it solo. No harm in booking ahead, phone a few days in advance. Im not one for a large breakfast or even at all so tend to eat early and only one course, slamdunk a quick espresso and grappa, that then allows for enjoying the quieter slopes whilst most eat. Decoupling desert to about 4pm breaks things up nicely too.

You should go to Punta Trieste, suits your user name , very Owlbased. Crep du Munt is excellent but worth booking ahead, they have some very nice seats at the bar. Friedrich Augustus you can see the grazing relatives of those now being served. There's some great oyster based obnox to be had too at Col Alt at the top of the gondola.
snow report
@sean1967, thanks for the suggestions! We have a slightly different tactic (elevenses then later lunch) but does the same job.

I'm a Sheffield Wednesday fan and our nickname is the Owls so Punta Trieste is definitely the place for me! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And my user name !
ski holidays
Getting back on topic...spotted these posted on YouTube recently from the Falzarego chairlift at Col Gallina in the Cortina ski area, one of the few lifts open in mid-November in the Dolomiti Superski area...

http://youtube.com/v/HhyIVRqsP00

This guy even found some dodgy off-piste up there last week too... snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/6eQb7H3QnlY
latest report
Looking nice and snowy at altitude! snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
Owls101 wrote:
I'm a Sheffield Wednesday fan and our nickname is the Owls so Punta Trieste is definitely the place for me! Very Happy

Even more appropriate would be the Civetta ski area as Civetta in Italian means owl (the locals reckon that the two small peaks at the top of the Civetta mountain look like the ears of an owl). The logo of the Civetta ski area is an owl on skis! Madeye-Smiley

ski holidays
@luigi, Beautiful! Cool
snow report
More overlapping footage from the opening ski weekend at Cortina...nice drone shots...and a rare snowboarder!! snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/hzaQfCV_5X4
snow conditions
denfinella wrote:
@olderscot, "only" €68/day for a 6-day pass Shocked

It wasn't too long ago when I thought anything above about €35 was expensive!

I suspect snowmaking costs are the reason why lift passes in the eastern Alps have shot up so much compared to further west.

I remember paying the equivalent of around £90 in Lira for a 6 day Val Gardena pass on my first week skiing, £15 a day...but that was in 1999, before the Euro jumped up prices in Italy, before Brexit crashed Sterling, before governments printed billions for Covid and before cheap Russian hydrocarbons went offline! snowHead
snow report
Still looking decent on piste (and empty!) up at Col Gallina today...storm Ciaran did some good it would seem...

latest report
Harrow lady wrote:
Every year I send a message to the tourist office asking why Maserai in AB is uncovered Very Happy the standard reply is the we appreciate your feedback bla bla bla ,so disappointed that nothing has changed once again. It could be one of those pistes that you repeat and repeat, it is beautiful, the wind on the way up just puts us off, shame.

It’s known by our family as the coldest lift in the world,
Daniel from colfosco ski school, whose family have lived there for 100s of year and was a font of knowledge on all sorts of things inc being a great instructor, said it’s just too windy for cabins, and I’m guessing there is no need for a gondola there and I would prefer to get cold than take my skis off yet again
snow conditions
Owls101 wrote:

We’ve never booked and AB has so many restaurants,
From the main bowl i think there is at least 15 within one lift ride, pretty much all are good. our favs are crep du mont, marmota, alara and for breakfast on a sunny day you can’t beat col pradat In colfosco.

Its worth booking dinner up the mountain a few places do it we like edelweiss in colfosco then bum sledge home, not strictly allowed but always fun.
snow report
sean1967 wrote:
It is upon us, there's snow atop Dantercepies!

The daily looks at the forecast, the interminable wait for the valgardena.com website to update the 350 bus timetable.

Last December was epic, loads of snow, sunshine , empty piste.

On a sad note, La Bula is closed permanently. I don't know what will replace it but it was the most solid option for great, well priced food in Selva.

albob wrote:
@sean1967, That is interesting -- looks like it may been 'absorbed' by an extension to the Hotel Stella ??

https://tinyurl.com/5bvrcr7a :: Google Street View image of Hotel Stella, Selva undergoing 'revamp'

Update on this, thankfully La Bula has not closed permanently. The long serving and delightful managers, Alma and Mino (Dustin Hoffman and Delia Smith lookalikes), have retired however the restaurant will be open this year.

https://www.la-bula.com/Eng/index.html
snow conditions
Anyone heard any rumours about whether the lovely fencing at the top of the Saslong gondola will be in place again this year?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy