Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix Valley 2023/24

Poster: A snowHead
Not too soon is it?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
naa
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@under a new name, let me think;

COVID booster and flu vaccine today,
Long term visa appointment in Manchester in 10 days,
Bindings transferred to brand new every day touring skis imminent,
First payment on seasonal accommodation due equally imminently,
Old bloke WhatsApp group stirring into life,
New winter tyres ordered,
Permanently tired 5 months into the winter training programme,
Baud's book of death re-memorised page by page,
etc

Seems timely.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@HammondR, can't argue with those indicia!

PS @under a new name, I thought you were Champoluc / Gressoney?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can I borrow this thread to get recommendations for a ski guides company? We are a group of 30+ Americans looking to do a Vallee Blanche trip plus another day or two of off-piste fun. Late January. Snowboarder friendly.
Also, while I’m at it… for the higher end adventurers of our group, should we bring skins and touring set-ups, or is all of the off-piste lift served?
And what width skis do people recommend? For instance, I’ve got a choice for 102 (Black Crows!) and 112 (DPS).
I probably went over my allotment of questions there. Happy
Thanks
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
https://www.chamonix-guides.com/en/activities/category/ski/vallee-blanche-skiing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@CJM, The guide:client ratio varies between 1:1 and 1:6 (maybe more - not sure what ratio they'd go to for the simplest off-piste) depending on what you're doing. A normal trip down the VB if conditions are ok, could be 1:6.

So you need at least 6 guides if you're >30 people, and if you're doing something more adventurous, maybe 12-15 guides! At this stage, no guide will be able to commit to what you will be able to ski (from a conditions perspective), so the call you really need to make is how many guides to hire, and then see what you can do with them nearer the time. I've used Jonny Baird, Tamsin Gay and Gareth Hughes and would recommend any of them (tho' would put Jonny top based on his greater level of experience); Ross Hewitt's name comes up a lot as well. However, whether they'd want to coordinate a 6+ guide group is something you'd have to ask them.

Most of the off-piste is NOT lift-served, tho' there is a lot of lift-served as well. I'd definitely bring touring kit.

I use 78 and 88 width and find both of them work. I really wouldn't want to be edging across glacial ice on a 112, but plenty of people seem to cope fine.

P.S. I don't think the VB is particularly snowboarder friendly. Lots of flat bits. Take folding poles Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@snowdave, @CJM, I had a feeling the current guide client max was 1:4 at least on glacier? But in any case @CJM, that's a lot of cats to herd, good luck!

@8611, I'm quite general purpose! No, I live in Chamonix but Mrs U's paternal family came from Champoluc so we have fairly strong ties and rent out an apartment there.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@under a new name, Ah! Good pedigree so, mountain people. What an idyllic place to grow up in.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@CJM, here are a couple of well know British Chamonix Guides. Note that they often book up long in advance. But worth talking to if only for advice and referrals.
https://instagram.com/davejsearle?igshid=YTQwZjQ0NmI0OA==

https://instagram.com/ross.hewitt?igshid=YTQwZjQ0NmI0OA==

IMO the VB standard routes are not suitable for Snowboarders (unless they are very strong polers) as the flat track out on the Mer de Glace is very long.

I haven’t done it for several years so not sure about the access from the top lift, but the Toule glacier from the Courmayeur side (skyway Montebianco) is a good lift served off piste option that combines nicely with Chamonix as there is a bus over in the morning and you can ski back into the Vallée blanche. Although a guide is best to discuss these options with.

Touring kit will give you endless options but is not strictly necessary for VB, Toule glacier and much of the other good Chamonix skiing, especially if it’s your first time there.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@under a new name, I thought VB had an exception to allow larger groups?

Just realised “a group of 30+” Americans could mean age rather than number… might make guide booking a bit easier!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@snowdave, I'm certainly not arguing! Hmmm, good point. Herding slightly more mature cats rather than too many of them then!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@under @snowdave @BobinCH @whitegold - appreciate the guidance and yes, it will be herding cats. But the group has fun. Our snowboarders carry poles in their packs and have a good heart about things. For a big group aiming at the VB experience, is it possible to wait and see the weather and pick a nice day? Or will we need to book in advance and reserve the guides and take what we get from a weather standpoint?
Also, the bus to Courmayeur with a skiing return sounds cool. Will look into it.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CJM wrote:
For a big group aiming at the VB experience, is it possible to wait and see the weather and pick a nice day? Or will we need to book in advance and reserve the guides and take what we get from a weather standpoint?
Also, the bus to Courmayeur with a skiing return sounds cool. Will look into it.

I’d definitely reserve with a group that big - not just the guides, but also the aiguille du midi cable car to the start of the VB. if the weather is bad, the guides are very good at finding alternatives that can be even more fun.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@snowdave - that's probably good advice. Will arrange. Thanks.
snow conditions
@CJM, a first step - rather than chasing down multiple smaller companies/independents who probably won't each have the capacity to handle your whole group - might be to call the main Chamonix guiding company https://www.chamonix-guides.com/fr/activites/categorie/ski who have around 160 guides and see whether and what they can organise for you?

At the very least this gives you a bit of coherence and a single point of contact. And it's not like it's their first rodeo!!
ski holidays
@under - agree. Will likely go with them since they are big and can provide the numbers of guides that we need. However, SnowDave's advice caused me to reach out to begin to get commitments for the guided day and the number of takers may be much smaller than I was expecting. I think the youtube video of the guy almost falling off the mountain when he tripped walking down the spine has my group thinking second thoughts. Happy
snow report
CJM wrote:
@under - agree. Will likely go with them since they are big and can provide the numbers of guides that we need. However, SnowDave's advice caused me to reach out to begin to get commitments for the guided day and the number of takers may be much smaller than I was expecting. I think the youtube video of the guy almost falling off the mountain when he tripped walking down the spine has my group thinking second thoughts. Happy

It’s really not that bad. And in good weather a really memorable experience for the atmosphere up there, views, wild glaciated terrain, big ski day.

Re your ski choice I did it last season on DPS Lotus 117 with Alpine bindings (in good conditions) and they were perfect
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cnv7WN0qJBZ/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
latest report
@CJM, as @Bob says, it's really not that bad and if someone's really nervous (and you have a sympathetic guide) they'll suggest crampons and maybe rope up? You'll have harnesses (well, I'd expect you to).
snow conditions
Wow @Bob you had a beautiful day. Looks great. Can’t wait. @under - thanks, reassuring.
Regarding which skis, I’m trending towards the Black Crows at 102 but the pin tech toes of their Marker Kingpin bindings have me a bit nervous. The DPSs have Marker Duke PTs mounted and those are bomb proof, but I don’t love the idea of tackling glacial ice mentioned by @snowdave with these skis. Too much rocker, not enough camber
First world problems for sure.
snow report
@CJM, for sure. If any of your group need to rent (or buy) kit, my brother in law is at Concept Pro, which is one of the highest end shops in town https://www.conceptproshopchamonix.com/en/ just behind the Aiguille du Midi tram station. Can't recommend highly enough.
ski holidays
Chamonix town getting hammered with rain this evening.
snow report
@under - thanks. We'll definitely need to rent some stuff. Shop looks great and isn't far from our hotel.
@Whitegold - OpenSnow doesn't tell me what elevation the snow line is, but it does project 27 inches/68 cms of snow tomorrow (Sunday). Great start
ski holidays
@Whitegold, well, actually, y'know, it's not. Pelting down with err, real, actual, snow when you posted.

@CJM, It's really too early to be getting excited about snow below around 2,000m as it won't last (usually, fabulous if it does). But it is looking nice above 2k and with a following wind that's possibly the beginnings of a base.

From a Chamonix valley point of view, most of the skiing is above 1,900m. So even last winter we had good cover, even after the rainopalypse.

What hotel are you in if you don't mind me asking?
latest report
@under - Alpina Eclectic
ski holidays
@CJM, cool good location. Also what looks like at very fine views ftom the top. Can’t believe that in 17 years I’vd never eaten there. You’re also 2 minutes from the fine Bistrot des Sports for beers.
snow report
Haha - fantastic. Looks like Bistrot des Sports will be our second home in Chamonix. Important post-mountain debriefing sessions.
snow report
@CJM, the BdS is one of our favourites. They do a very bistrot-esque i.e. not Michelin quality but not Michelin price Entrecote and very good fries. Generally worth booking though as it's understandably popular. Also quite historic having been owned by the iconic Roger Frison-Roche at one point.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good to know, and confessing that I had to google Roger Frison-Roche. But that's why we come to the old country - to get cultured up. Have ordered a copy of "First on Rope" from Amazon.
latest report
@CJM, First on the Rope is a wonderful evocation of the Chamonix Valley of a hundred years ago. Cow fighting still has a place in the region. The dairy at Montroc has a picture up of their most recent champion, if I remember correctly.
latest report
HammondR wrote:
@CJM, First on the Rope is a wonderful evocation of the Chamonix Valley of a hundred years ago. Cow fighting still has a place in the region. The dairy at Montroc has a picture up of their most recent champion, if I remember correctly.

http://youtube.com/v/4O3zjzv-4MQ
snow conditions
Wait, what? Here in the US we have "cow tipping" but not cow fighting. And the females in that video have horns. Crazy. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to the book.
snow report
Definitely bring touring skis. The 102 Black Crows are probably perfect. Kingpins will work just fine. Unless you have a pair with the broken toe pins that weren't replaced by the recall! Eh oh!

Toula Glacier entrance is much more committing since they removed the stairs. Still possible by a ski line, or rap, but more committing for sure.

If you have experience touring in glaciated terrain in the US, I wouldn't say you necessarily need a guide for the normal route. Some of the other lines, a guide is a good idea, but the normal route is really pretty tame. Crevasse rescue gear is a must though, so if you don't own that, just hiring a guide is probably easier/smarter.
ski holidays
Thanks, @tolocoman. We’ll go with the guides. We’ve got a couple of mountain professionals in the group but most of the rest of us know only enough to get in trouble and not enough to get out.

All - I see that we’re in Chamonix the week immediately before the FIS World Cup races. And the 100th anniversary of the first Winter Olympics - held in Chamonix. Very cool. Is there anything that we should definitely see and do? Or anything that we should definitely avoid? Like run to the other end of the valley? And get guides to get off-piste and away from the crowds?
Or borrow a cowbell and just lean in to race mania?
ski holidays
@CJM, I wouldn't use a ski day to watch racing (and it's down in Les Houches - and the traffic is unreal on the day). Rest of the valley not so much affected although town busy and lots of team colours in evidence. Personally I think ski racing is a TV sport. Anyway, on the day, (and a few days before?) les Houches will be a zoo. But skiing elsewhere fine I think (we haven't been paying a lot of attention in recent years).

No idea what's planned for the JO celebration on the day but there's an exhibition at the Museum of "Heritage" on Rue des Moulins https://en.chamonix.com/espace-pro-presse/1924-les-premiers-jeux-olympiques-d-hiver
ski holidays
Looking peachy from Ross Hewitt
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CzVEP-KLUXz/?igshid=bnlyYXQzNXZtYzdz
ski holidays
Thanks @under for your take on the world cup. I basically agree with your thoughts. And will check out the heritage museum.
Love to see the snow. And speaking of, looks like a big storm is predicted for the weekend - 150 cms projected.
latest report
@CJM,
Quote:

150 cms projected.

Shocked by who? (awesome if it happens)
snow report
@under - OpenSnow.com for Chamonix (the resort at elevation, not town). But I did goof. That is the amount projected for the next 10 days. However the majority of it is predicted for the four day stretch of Friday-Monday (114 cm).
You guys with boots on the ground will have to say whether this site is accurate.
snow conditions
@CJM, you're best off with this one for forecasts: https://chamonix-meteo.com/

It's the only Chamonix forecast I know of that is done by a human, as opposed to an algorithm interpreting some variant of a GFS model.

Seems like c. 20cm is more realistic. Still not bad for this time of year, if it all stays...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy