Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Maurienne Valley 2023/24 - Valloire/Valmeiner, Valmorel Grand Domaine, Val Cenis etc

Poster: A snowHead
@andmelffion, thanks. Someone else chimes in that Modane would be a good practical base to visit a few resorts in the valley and that sounds a good shout.
Which town in the valley would have the nicest vibe/restaurants etc?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sbooker wrote:
@andmelffion, thanks. Someone else chimes in that Modane would be a good practical base to visit a few resorts in the valley and that sounds a good shout.
Which town in the valley would have the nicest vibe/restaurants etc?

Can’t really comment on Modane but since the landslide has stopped trains running there from both France and Italy it seems a lot quieter than it used to.

We have a place in St Michel and there are a few nice places to eat such as The Savoy Hotel, Scuderia Italian restaurant or Chez Karine. There is also a lovely deli in the town you can pick up some great food from if you are self catering. Also a couple of other places that do food which we’ve not had the opportunity to eat in yet.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There is a motorway from St Michel to Modane (from where you can get to Aussies, Val Cenis etc) and it’s currently free because of the landslip closing the minor road.

Wouldn’t say there are many places in the valley with a ‘vibe’ as that will tend to be in the resorts - personally I think Valloire is a nice place for example. But if you have a car you can get around and try a few places from a base.

St Jean (the largest town) has some nice restaurants and a great market on a Saturday - Marius’ cheese stall is particularly good but you will get fresh pasta, roast chickens etc. Restaurants such as Hotel du Nord and Gavroche (not as upmarket as the London version!).

Orelle isnt in a town itself but the apartments have a bar / restaurant and there is a bar at the bottom of the ski lift. Good base to go from up and down the valley, but you’ll need a car, and obviously 3v skiing.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Anyone in the area at the moment? We arrive at Lanslebourg on Wednesday...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm here. Pistes were acceptable in Val Cenis yesterday, good high up, empty compared with previous years.
There's been a good layer of snow overnight, perhaps 15cm at valley floor, but it is forecast to continue all day, and again on Wednesday and Thursday.
I wondered where the last toll had disappeared to as we arrived late on Saturday.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@cstreat, Some nice views from Termignon. Lovely little area.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We did Termingnon yesterday, but it was windy at the top, and a bit crusty through the trees, so we were in and out. I've stayed there in the past.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@cstreat, Thanks for the update.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Don't forget Les Karellis which is my favourite. North facing and a really big chunk of mountainside to go at from the lifts or short skins. I'll try and put up a couple of pics from yesterday.

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snowed on and off all day, eventually getting milder at valley floor.
Visibility was changeable but the only negative was that most of the snow fell after the pistes were bashed, causing a hard sub base with fresh snow that blew off or was pushed off. Not really complaining as it was a great day, and we covered some ground despite our age ( 58!) Legs feel surprisingly good. Yesterday I hated skiing, today was a cracker.
Tomorrow will be sunny, and potentially the best day of the week, Wednesday and Thursday predicted for more snow, Friday and Saturday sunny. Bonneval for us for those days.@Charliegolf, hope your journey isn't too bad, doesn't look ideal on Wednesday, especially Troyes area
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Coming out to La Norma next Tuesday, loving all this snow!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@cstreat, Why Troyes in particular?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Does anyone know the best place to park your car for a week in Valloire? We're staying near the Setaz lift.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Handy Turnip wrote:
Does anyone know the best place to park your car for a week in Valloire? We're staying near the Setaz lift.

There's no place I know of in Valloire town that's free. Just drive round the one way system a few times looking for anything you can find. When it's busy there's usually somewhere on the street down toward the skating rink. That's a little way from your hotel though. Maybe they'll know somewhere nearer. Good luck Little Angel
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ed_sec wrote:
Handy Turnip wrote:

There's no place I know of in Valloire town that's free. Just drive round the one way system a few times looking for anything you can find. When it's busy there's usually somewhere on the street down toward the skating rink. That's a little way from your hotel though. Maybe they'll know somewhere nearer. Good luck Little Angel

Thanks @Ed_sec, much appreciated. Not necessarily looking for something that's free - just anywhere that I can safely put the car for the week. In other resorts there's normally a undercover multi-storey car park where we park for about 50 euros, but struggling to see one. It's also Feb half term so I have a fear that I'll just be driving around forever if I don't have something booked!!
snow report
I believe there’s an underground car park by the church but how long you can park/the cost I don’t know. May be worth dropping the mayors office a message to see if they can help, parking during half term can be a challenge and a good reason to arrive in resort early as you can.

Mairie de Valloire - Place de la Mairie
73450 VALLOIRE - Tél. 04 79 59 03 11 - mairie@valloire.net

Or the tourist office

https://www.valloire.net/contact/
ski holidays
Thanks @andmelffion, I'll give that a go. Yes my big fear is that I won't find anywhere to park so could be in big trouble! Luckily we are getting an early flight so there's a chance we could be in Valloire just after lunchtime, so that should help.
snow report
I just googled "Parking Valloire" (a convenient bilingual phrase) and see there are a couple. Not too many spaces though so book in advance is they let you.
ski holidays
Thanks @Ed_sec, I did something similar but can't see any option to book (or even any official website). If you're found a link to book, I'd be super grateful for a link.
snow report
@Charliegolf, just what I garnered from the meteo, Jura up to Troyes looks poor for travelling.
Cracking day today, more snow tonight, clearing tomorrow afternoon
ski holidays
No snow overnight, unfortunately now pissing it down at base. Doesn't bode well as meteo predicted snow today and rain tomorrow
snow conditions
@cstreat, Arrived here at 7pm. Ten and a bit hours driving time from Calais. Good roads, good traffic, weather abso awful! Light snow for an hour soon after leaving Calais, followed by heavy rain almost the whole way save for a few short breaks. It was hard driving.. Hope it will be worth it!
snow report
It cleared this afternoon, and was actually great at all levels, as the harder pistes softened. Looks like tomorrow will be snow and poor visibility, Friday cloudy and very cold.
Glad you made it safely. Where are you staying?
snow report
@cstreat, St Charles Hotel, adjacent the 3 chair lifts. Went for passes today, decided to throw today away, save a day and add one on at the end if the weather is better. Mrs G is a good skier, but very nervous about viz/piste colour!/getting home with 3 hours to spare etc.
snow report
Charliegolf wrote:
@cstreat, St Charles Hotel, adjacent the 3 chair lifts. Went for passes today, decided to throw today away, save a day and add one on at the end if the weather is better. Mrs G is a good skier, but very nervous about viz/piste colour!/getting home with 3 hours to spare etc.

Could you add which village in Maurienne you are staying?
snow report
Onnem wrote:
Charliegolf wrote:

Could you add which village in Maurienne you are staying?

if you scrolled up, you will see Val Cenis (Lanslebourg)
ski holidays
@Onnem, Yep, as Gored says, Lanslebourg. Nice enough village, usual mix of bars and resturants, 2 small supermarkets, ski hire etc. Not sure how is ranks for facilities against the other villages. We might get a chance to have a look during the stay.
latest report
@Charliegolf, good call, possibility the worst conditions I've ever been out in. Rain at bottom, changing to mist mid mountain on upper tree line, and then into whiteout, all whilst being soaked. Didn't help that I left goggles behind and relied on prescription sunglasses. Snow felt great at top.
Try Ranova restaurant on mountain, v good. Best beer and music and value food at Le Chardon Blue on main road at Landsvillard by campsite.....where the locals go. Best chips I've ever had. Definitely not touristy.
We're at Flambeau just before Landsvillard.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@cstreat, We will defo try both those. Ta.
ski holidays
@charliegolf (or any one else) - can you let me know what the 4g / 5g coverage is like please ? We are staying in Lanslevillard le haut in Feb and I don't think our apartment has WiFi.
Thank you
ski holidays
@daveqpr, Her indoors says its, "Not bad at all"! So sounds ok. (We're down the road at Lanslebourg, but I'm sure similar.)

As an aside, I'm astounded that so many tourist offerings don't have wifi! When I do my filters on Airbnb, around half the rest won't have wifi.
ski holidays
@Charliegolf,
Many thanks for the feedback - The kids will be Very happy that they can play Roblox. Hope you have a great holiday!
snow report
Flying out to La Norma tomorrow! Conditions look good but am a little concerned of this warmer weather forecasted.
latest report
@archors, After 2 nice weather days, the cloud is rolling back in as I type, and as predicted. Upside, it has been the coldest I've ever felt whilst skiing, so you might get the benefit from some warmer air. Vis will be the thing... Snow cover is pretty good, and the pisties are doing very well with what they have.
ski holidays
Any updates from Valmorel / St Francois? Will be there at some point over the next week so would be good to hear how its looking! Smile
latest report
@cstreat, are the chips a weird curved shape? Best chips Ive ever had (in france) was a weird curved shape.
snow conditions
We are in Valloire, after some heavy rain in the town last night ( 6 hours or so) the pistes back into town have held up remarkably well, although they are pretty technical to ski with patches of boiler plate ice around. Higher up pistes are in very good condition, with some hard patches. The blood wagons have been doing a steady amount of work. With temps lifting, and a sunny rest of the week, it should be perfect into next week.
Staying in the Hotel Christiania, very comfy room and great breakfast and halfboard menu in the evening.
latest report
First full day in La Norma today. Nice snow up top and icy below about 2000m.
snow conditions
Pistes gotten really hard, icy and just not that fun now. Up at the top at La Norma 2 is the only place that's any good in the resort. Off piste just hard crud. Anybody know if anywhere else nearby is fairing better?
ski holidays
Been in Valfrejus and Val Cenis, both pretty good! Snow good up top and a bit hard down below but much better than La Norma.

Valfrejus is great fun, especially off the Punta Bagna lift.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy